Suggestions for Coffee Substitute?

As much as I love coffee, it no longer agrees with me :( I have severe gut issues and coffee affects my gut and produces brain fog/bloating. I have leaky gut and bottom line is that drinking coffee is very unpredictable, sometimes it's fine but many times lately it just makes me sick.

The problem is, that tea just doesn't do it for me! I've tried every tea, and the only tea that I somewhat like is green tea. But it doesn't give me the energy kick like coffee does, and it just doesn't compare to that good coffee feeling you get in the morning! I'm going to try and add MCT Oil to my green tea to see if that helps give me the energy kick I usually get with coffee.

I'm also thinking about drinking bone broth in the morning as I know it will probably do wonders for my gut. But it's not as good as coffee....

Has anybody quit coffee and what did you use a substitute? Back when I tolerated coffee, it was a great part of my morning routine and felt so good. Yet I don't seem to have that experience with any other beverage...

• Moderators

Have you tried the cacao based beverages like choffy or crio bru? I don't have them real often, but they're a nice change. Don't expect it to taste like hot chocolate, it's not sweetened, it's just brewed cocoa beans, but it's not bad. 

There was a discussion here on the forum recently about the mushroom based drinks, I don't remember if anyone ever went back and posted an actual review of them or if it was just people asking if anyone had tried them.

You might also consider quitting all caffeine at some point and seeing how that affects things. It can be pretty miserable at first, but after a couple of weeks you may be surprised to find that you don't need the morning jolt of coffee anymore.

I'd second the Crio Bru type drinks. I bought myself a sampler pack for Mother's Day, and I've been really enjoying them. I usually add some into my morning coffee so I get a chocolate-y undertone to the coffee itself, but I've also tried a couple of them brewed alone... mixed with just a bit of almond milk, it's quite a nice departure from my usual morning drinks. I sometimes add a dash of cinnamon with mine, also.

What about Teeccino's "Dandelion Dark Roast" tea? I find that coffee bothers my stomach but I have enjoyed this as a coffee substitute in the past. Is it compliant? Ingredients are: Organic carob, organic chicory, organic dandelion root, organic ramon seeds, natural coffee flavor. This flavor is certified gluten free. Not sure what is in "natural coffee flavor" but I did read that natural flavors are not explicitly forbidden. 

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, PrarieDelight said:

What about Teeccino's "Dandelion Dark Roast" tea? I find that coffee bothers my stomach but I have enjoyed this as a coffee substitute in the past. Is it compliant? Ingredients are: Organic carob, organic chicory, organic dandelion root, organic ramon seeds, natural coffee flavor. This flavor is certified gluten free. Not sure what is in "natural coffee flavor" but I did read that natural flavors are not explicitly forbidden. 

This is compliant. 

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Coffee used to have a very strange effect on me, and after coffee, I constantly wanted to sleep, I drank the most ordinary coffee from the supermarket. But then I got tired of this incomprehensible effect and switched to cocoa drinks, but because of them, I gained extra weight, because they were very high in calories, especially if they were made with milk. Then, on the advice of a friend, I switched to a very high-quality coffee from coffee suppliers in NZ and finally I got the effect that I had long dreamed of, coffee gave me such an increase in energy that I could almost all night do the work that I had to do until the morning. So if your body is strangely affected by coffee, then try to change the coffee company, I think it can help.

• 1 month later...

Coffee is one of my favorite drinks in the world and I don't really know anything about the effects on the human body. <removed spammy link> I drink about four to five coffees a day and I'm grateful that my body isn't getting hurt from this. However, after hearing about your problem, I think ill probably shorten the number of coffees I drink every day. Anyways, I hope you get better and healthy again.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived