Black beans bad fad?

On page 46 of "The Whole 30", it says "Not missing tofu, black beans, cottage cheese or pasta"  With evidence pointing towards these foods making you less healthy..."

I was a bit shocked to see black beans in that list.  I read Gundry's book (actually returned it - over his program being so restrictive "had" to take his supplements, and then I got to the part when he talked about curing stage 4 cancer with his program - yeah, no.)  Anyway, I'm aware of the lectin thing.  But I also read that pressure cooker preparation deals with that.

I was also surprised in the reintro section to see soy products re-introduced on the same day as beans and peanut butter.

Thoughts?  Anybody who's really up on the science?

I can't speak to the science parts in terms of why they're bad or whether or not any specific preparation can make them acceptable... but I can say that soy doesn't seem to be restricted on account of it being soy, but rather on account of it being a legume -- which also includes beans and peanuts, so it makes sense that if you're introducing legumes in general that you might have all three unless you suspect there may be issues with a particular one. Personally, I did a slower reintroduction phase which allowed me to break apart the categories and test out specific foods separately (including separate days for peanuts, soy, and beans in general)... and I'm glad I did, because it allowed me to pinpoint some foods as more troublesome than others within the same category.

• Administrators

Soy can be problematic for many folks and individually we do recommend that people give it a separate day. The books are written to be approachable across the board but giving soy (and peanut butter) separate days is just a more thorough way of doing reintroduction. For folks w dairy issues we also recommend that they separate out the types of dairy (ie, lactose, whey, casein) to determine specific reactions. This can make the reintroduction much longer and more complex but it really depends on how specific people want to get.  Legumes are still out on Whole30 across the board for the 30 days but they are admittedly less disruptive than something like gluten. If black beans are a part of your food freedom, that's great, they are delicious!

Archived