Pre workout near lunch time

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Samantha Ribeiro said:

Shannon, has the guidelines changed for the pre and post workout, because on the meal template it´s still protein and fat pre and in that article it´s carbs on pre.

Yes. If the ones on the meal template work for you, it's fine to keep using them, but the article is the newest information. They are planning to update the template.

• Moderators

@Samantha Ribeiro I really don't have anything more than the article. Maybe one of the other mods can weigh in if they've found more information somewhere. All I really know is that in the years since the meal template was developed, thinking on pre- and post-workout nutrition has changed, and the article reflects that. If I find anything more, I'll definitely update here.

@Samantha Ribeiro For what it's worth, I've been struggling with understanding and applying these new guidelines too. Here's how I've broken down my own interpretation in a more simple format: 

• Pre-Workout: 2-3 hours before workout; combination of protein and high-fiber carbohydrate
  • IntraWorkout (for continuous, moderate-to-high intensity workouts longer than 45 minutes): protein and fruit juice or fruit  
  • Post-Workout: within 60 minutes;  lean protein, high-fiber carbohydrates, and lots of veggies 

Though I'll be honest that I'm still working out how that translates into actual food I consume before, during, and after a workout. I plan to start another Whole30 here pretty soon so I hope to experiment and figure it out then! 

@themadisonvibe Are you working out before or after you actually eat your lunch? I'm assuming before... 

Based on the old guidelines, I would usually eat a hardboiled eggs and some macadamia nuts or coconut flakes before a workout. However, I don't have a sensitive stomach so that didn't bother me. I would then eat a couple of cubes of chicken breast and a couple of cubes of sweet potato. Then I'd shower, get ready, and then have a proper lunch. 

I'm not yet sure what I'd do under the new guidelines... But I outlined what I think the general rules are in the comment above. 

FYI, I've experimented for several weeks with coconut flakes as a pre-workout, and blackberries.  My workouts do seem to be slightly better with the blackberries.  (I've been strength training for a while.  I do intermittent fasting somewhat randomly and skip meals with no issue, so my metabolism seems pretty good at this point.  I think the new guidelines are aimed more towards metabolically flexible people, vs the older guidelines.)

• Whole30 Certified Coach
On 6/18/2019 at 1:27 PM, Samantha Ribeiro said:

Shannon, has the guidelines changed for the pre and post workout, because on the meal template it´s still protein and fat pre and in that article it´s carbs on pre.

Depending on the type of exercise many may need the carbohydrates, so you will have to assess what type of exercise you are doing and whether or not you think the carbs pre-workout are necessary for you.   However the article states this: "Eating some carbohydrates pre-workout will help you finish the workout strong." 

It's important to note that science is always evolving and changing.  You could research the author of the article (at the bottom) and see how you relate to the principles he teaches.  Truly and honestly, there isn't a one-size-fits-all for diet nor exercise.. it's important to tailor it to your own specific needs.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:15 PM, kirbz said:

@Samantha Ribeiro For what it's worth, I've been struggling with understanding and applying these new guidelines too. Here's how I've broken down my own interpretation in a more simple format: 

• Pre-Workout: 2-3 hours before workout; combination of protein and high-fiber carbohydrate
  • IntraWorkout (for continuous, moderate-to-high intensity workouts longer than 45 minutes): protein and fruit juice or fruit  
  • Post-Workout: within 60 minutes;  lean protein, high-fiber carbohydrates, and lots of veggies 

Though I'll be honest that I'm still working out how that translates into actual food I consume before, during, and after a workout. I plan to start another Whole30 here pretty soon so I hope to experiment and figure it out then! 

I'll reach out to the W30 coaches and see what kinds of examples I can get for you :)

On 6/18/2019 at 1:27 PM, Samantha Ribeiro said:

I'd like to comment on the article that we have been discussing -- it doesn't say these are the new guidelines as of yet -- this is an article from a RD discussing maximizing performance and recovery on Whole30.

https://whole30.com/2019/02/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/

On 6/18/2019 at 2:09 PM, Samantha Ribeiro said:

It´s dificult to understand it know. Because on the post workout meal, he even says to eat a fruit salad.

Can´t really understand why eat carbs on pre workout since the body doesn´t need it for fuel. 

Do you have anything more on it? 

Why did it change? 

Official word from headquarters is that they are going to be updating the meal template with these guidelines.

Additionally it's been stated that these guidelines are tailored to the type of exercise as well.  Therefore, if the "extra meal"/3-4 whole30 meals were working for you before with your workout regimen, it is pretty likely you can stick to that.  In this instance, I would say it's likely an experimental process for each person and the type of workouts they are doing.  This article is focusing on getting the most out of your workouts and optimizing recovery, so if specific individuals are feeling like they need to "up their game" in that aspect, they could consider tailoring their workouts with this article. 

I'd look into the author of the article, he has an abundance of information that will help understand the changes.

Archived