Back Again and Starting June 1st

JenX

Well, I've been away from the Forum since 2015, but here I am back again for another round. This is either #4 or #5 (I lost count!).  I have learned valuable things each and every time and I hope this Whole30 will be the same experience.  For the past 3'ish years I've done my own thing... eating mostly Paleo, sometimes Keto, doing some AF here and there. The good news is I won't have any trouble with carb flu. I'll actually have to pay close attention to get in some of the starchier veggies and fruits! it's going to be hard to walk back away from the dairy again, but I know it needs to happen. that and the wine. mmmmm, wine! :wub:

So, why am I doing this? My problems are related to hormonal changes in large part  (thanks, Menopause!) - in the past year it's caused weight gain, loss of energy plus my sleep quality is truly terrible.  I'm hoping this round of W30 will help me find a bit more balance. I know it even this can't work a miracle when battling mother nature, but I'll take whatever help I can get! LOL! 

Hey @JenX & @pearlgirl2017

I started my 4th round of the Whole30 on June 1st and I'm looking for an accountability group. I've been completing Whole30 resets for about 6 years now and it always sets the tone for healthy eating habits when I veer off course. My fiance doesn't follow resets with me, so it's nice to have the whole30 community for support. 

The reason I'm starting my 4th round of the Whole30 challenge is  to lose a couple of LB's before my wedding in September. I decided it was time to be strict with my sugar consumption and increase my workouts. I always have the best sleep and energy on the Whole30 so I'm looking forward to those NSV's. 

Have a great day everyone! 

Well, who woulda thought!?! Starting on a weekend was not as tough as I thought it would be! I had to battle a bit of the afternoon munchies (not hungry, mind you, just mindlessly wanting to snack) but I made it through. The other benefit was it gave me plenty of time to prep and cook - I am unbelievably well set up for the coming week! Let's see, we have breakfast hash (cabbage, pork sausage, shredded sweet potato), pork picadillo with pineapple & green olives, roasted spaghetti squash & yams, roasted eggplant/zucchini/red onions & herbed chicken breast for lettuce wraps (seen these Lettuce wraps? they're awesome!), and last night's dinner was hot with roasted broccoli/cauliflower/mushrooms with compliant ranch.

I'm aiming to include starchy veggies in 2 meals a day to start - breakfast (especially if I work out), and dinner as I sleep better when I have some carbs at dinner. Speaking of sleep, after 2 days of no drinking I'm already sleeping better and waking up more well rested. NSV #1!

On to Monday and Day 3...

Day 4 dawns after a wonderful night's sleep. My energy is already improving and my mood may be slightly improved as well. Yesterday I started back in on a beginner's running program (been working through injuries & various pains the past 6 months) and i'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's run instead of dreading it.  I seem to be in the mildest of hangover stages yesterday and today as I have a touch of a headache that comes and goes. I'm sure that's due to quitting drinking and no more Stevia. 

As I thought, I am having to remind myself to cut back a bit on the fat, and to include my starchy veggies 1-2x a day. Today I even brought 1/2 a mango to go with my lunch. Other than berries here and there when in season I haven't had fruit in maybe 9 months (?). 

Last night's dinner was amazing. pre-roasted spaghetti squash sautéed with kale and garlic which I paired with pork picadillo. Mmmm.  Well, this is turning into more of a log, so i'm going to move it into that section.  Be well!

Hey Everyone 

Can't believe it's already Day 5. I've been feeling a little foggy brained and tired over the last couple of days. I find drinking tons of water and walking on lunch has helped me get through the day. I also find this great energy at the end of the day that helps me power through my workouts. Not quite Tiger Blood but every day I'm drawing closer. 

For this program, I've been focusing on a minimalist meal plan. I enjoy cooking more when I'm not slaving away in the kitchen all day. I've been doing egg bakes for breakfast, simple salads for lunch, and hearty soups for dinner. I found some great compliant salsas and dressings which saves me tons of time. 

I usually have a crazy sugar dragon but I've been conscious of eating too much fruit so try to get through that hump. On my last challenge, I was finally able to kick the sweetened Starbucks drink habit and I now LOVE the taste of black coffee! haha 

I hope everyone has a great day! We're almost finished with Week 1! Woohoo! 

Challenge for the day - co-workers brought donuts. Now honestly, I don't even like donuts or how donuts make me feel if I eat them, but the last few times this has happened (and it's happened a lot so far this year), I've caved and had at least 1/2 of one.  I set my mind to one rule for this 30 days. NO FREE FOOD. Anything anybody is handing out is not going to be good for me right now. 

Challenge #2 happens tomorrow with our weekly delivery of snacks in the work pantry. They're faux-healthy things, like chickpea puffs, or popchip-like things made with cassava. Gluten free? sure. actually healthy? hell no! again, same rule applies NO FREE FOOD

@JenX I'm with you on the NO FREE FOOD rule. It always leads to bad choices! haha. I had something similar happen to me yesterday. I stopped by my local Starbucks for a cold brew coffee and the barista asked if I wanted a free sandwich. It's hard for me to say no to free food so I took it. So proud of myself for handing it to a coworker when I arrived at work. With six days in, I wasn't about to ruin my progress! 

I feel like I'm coming out of this brain fog and fatigue. I've been doing light workouts (45-60 minute walk on the treadmill during lunch) but now that I'm feeling a little more energized, I'm going to add some strength workouts in this weekend. I have to remind myself that the first week is always the hardest when it comes to energy. I've pushed myself in the past and regretted getting sick or feeling exhausted. 

I am noticing my pants fitting comfortably, I don't have that pooch I get when I eat processed carbs and dairy. Woohoo! 

Some NSV's I've noticed so far include: 

• Less bloating 
  • Rings fitting better 
  • Flatter stomach 
  • Under eye circles getting lighter 
  • Falling asleep more easily/soundly 
  • Sleeping more 
  • Can identify cravings vs. hunger 
  • Healthy strategies to deal with cravings 

I'm looking forward to many more and SUPER excited I completed 1 week! 

Yes! Week 1 is already almost in the bag!  I had a headache for 3 days so I guess I was ingesting more sugar than I thought prior to getting back on W30. That was a shocker. The only thing I'm still missing is stevia, but I can survive another 3 weeks without it. 

I'm feeling better as well -less bloated & more energy. I SO want to get on the scale tomorrow but I will fight off the urge. Its funny, I only ever want to get on the scale when I'm losing weight or doing things I think will let me lose. if i'm lost somewhere in binge-land I avoid it like the plague! Like if I don't weigh myself I won't gain weight??  :lol: right...

@trafficjamdreaming good job on passing off that free sammie and all those NSVs for week 1!

Back to meal planning for next week. Have a great weekend!

Here's to Day 11! 

I got through the weekend successfully. The first weekend of my Whole30 is always the hardest. My Whole30 essentials start to dwindle by Friday and I have to get creative with meals before my weekly grocery run on Sunday. 

My sleep has gotten much better. I can fall asleep easily and sleep through most of the night. With the increased sleep, I have more energy in the morning. Not quite near Tiger Blood but getting there. This last week I was really dependent on coffee. I usually like to limit myself to one cup in the morning but had to reach for a second on some days. I'm back to one coffee a day and feeling much more energized. 

@JenX I'm right with you on the scale thing! I like to see that immediate payoff when I'm taking steps to lose weight but seem to ignore the scale when I'm not as diligent! haha! It's been a little difficult not weighing/measuring. Instead, I've been trying on some of my tightest pants to see if they're getting more comfortable. They're not loose by any means, but they are starting to get more comfortable. 

Here's to week 2! Congrats! 

I am totally bloated and/or gaining weight. I did check the timeline and this could be normal but it is still uncomfortable and a bit disheartening. I'm going to really zero in on the template and make sure i'm not over eating. I can frequently go 6+ hrs between meals so I probably am. Sleep in improving greatly, and my mood has been super up the last couple of days as has my energy. We'll put those in the win category. :)

3 hours ago, trafficjamdreaming said:

got through the weekend successfully. The first weekend of my Whole30 is always the hardest. My Whole30 essentials start to dwindle by Friday and I have to get creative with meals before my weekly grocery run on Sunday. 

I hear ya! In the past, weekends were always hardest. Especially Friday nights. Turns out I like to treat myself for surviving the work-week. Sadly treat myself had been turning into frozen pizza and way too much wine. So far I'm not having any urges in that direction. I am making  a point of cooking something different on Friday after eating pre-made meals all week long. I think that's "treat" enough for now. I'm also enjoying 1/2 a bottle of (compliant) kombucha in a wine glass after work. It used to be doing that would trigger me to want actual wine in that glass, but I'm happy with the 'bootch. Now if my own SCOBY would finish growing so I could start brewing again, that would be ideal. I hate paying $3.50/bottle when I know how cheap it is to make.

I can't believe tomorrow is the end of week 2. Woo hoo! My bloating/tubby feeling is going away finally and I'm sleeping so much better. I was sleeping so good this morning I turned off my 1st alarm and took advantage of another hour. It was glorious! :D Meant I had to rush around a bit to get in to work on time but it was worth it. 

I've been really in to fried cauliflower-rice lately. Never was much of a fan in the past but it turns out I needed a different method to make it. Now I use the food processer  to rice it, then microwave it for 3 minutes, stir, and another 2. After it cools I take a tea towel and use that to squeeze out all the moisture. Turns out that's the key if you want it to be fluffy/more rice like. this batch yesterday was then "fried" with coconut oil, microplaned garlic and ginger and finished with coconut aminos and fish sauce. I also add it some tiny diced carrot and green onions for color and additional flavor. so good. 

I guess I need to start work on next week's menu. Anybody else have recipes that get you excited?

So I am starting back on the Whole30.  I did really well a year ago, then sort of fell off of any planned eating protocol.  My friend and I started KETO with high hopes.  He lost 20# and I, well, I know where they went!  I FOUND THEM!  Having psoriasis, the KETO was good for that but not for my weight.  I'm okay with that experience and now wantto go back. 

@Grace247

I hear you! I loved how I felt on Keto, but absolutely had to do extended fasting to lose any weight and the minute I went off that weight came back. It's why I came back to whole30 as well. I have to say I am missing the dairy, BUT I'll survive without it for now. 

NO FREE FOOD rule is in full effect again today at work. I swear, this group seems to celebrate more birthdays than # of people working here! Today it's bagels with all the fixings. Bagels I don't care, but I was craving cheese so strongly yesterday I'm going to have to avoid the spread so I don't stick my finger in the cream cheese! LOL!

@Grace247 It's better to take your time and make sure you're ready!

Day 20 and I have officially achieved food boredom. I tried really hard to keep the recipes fresh and new and even that didn't help. everything I am eating right now is just a chore. I know this is all part of it (at least for me), and won't last forever but I hate this part! I was up at 6 but couldn't even face breakfast until I got into work at 9am and then still had to choke it down. sigh.  I've also progressed from good sleep to sleeping like a coma patient. I am out so hard my alarm is startling me out of bed and i'm groggy for an hour after i'm up. I think I need to start exercising...that's the only thing that normalized me sometimes.

Happy almost week 3 everybody!

Archived