Starting a log here for troubleshooting...

Oaklandish1

Yes So I am on R1D14. I have nothing resembling tiger blood even though I eased into this diet by eating all whole30-compliant foods for a week before starting day1. I’m growing resentful about how all this time stressing about my food is messing up my relationships and my social life, and I feel exactly the same as damn day !

I decided to start a food log to figure out if I’m doing something wrong because I’m still so tired, hungry, anxious  and crabby

Breakfast, 10:00am: 1/2 banana while cooking... 2 fried eggs in ghee, 2 slices w30-compliant bacon, , 1 gigantic sweet potato, large handful of olives. I put my hand in the photo so you can see the proportions compared to my hand. 

DCB1409A-FEB5-4DE6-A0AD-050161CC36AE.jpeg

Lunch, 3 pm: “soup” of pumpkin puree heated with a bit of coconut milk, beef broth, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Salad of 1 cup arugula, 3 slices of smoked salmon, 1 hard-boiled egg and w30 ranch dressing. I think between the dressing and the coconut milk I didn’t quite get enough fat so I threw a few chopped walnuts on my soup after taking the photo. It’s grocery day so I’m sort of using up leftover random components and tomorrow I’ll be making pulled pork carnitas for my boyfriend and myself!

E5EE45C2-05CE-4EF2-9A92-AC3F897C3688.jpeg

@Oaklandish1 Have you played with the proportions of "normal" veggies versus starchy ones, at all? I tend to over-eat starchy vegetables by nature (I love love love potatoes, could eat them every meal, possibly for several parts of a meal, seriously)... so it took a bit of tweaking until I managed to find what worked best for me (I have to have them at certain meals, can't eat them at others or it causes problems, and amounts really do matter), and even then I have to account for silly things like hormones depending on what time of the month it happens to be. I also have to be fairly aware of how much protein I'm getting, and can definitely tell when I haven't had enough.

(I know you'd mentioned ADD elsewhere, so figured I'd add that starchy carbs can be especially vital parts of the tweaking process for those of us who deal with issues like mood and attention disorders. For me, that translates as going batty with too little starch and lethargic with too much... so it's a matter of finding the balance and trying to maintain it. I will also note that I only got tiger blood fairly late in my experience, and it didn't feel like others described it -- I'm bipolar and my tiger blood was like all the positive bits of a manic episode, so it took a while for me to realize that the negatives weren't there which meant my meds weren't failing after all.)

That said, the soup looks very good. I've used pumpkin in soups before, but never for sweet... a friend in Australia told me that pumpkins are always a savory thing over there, and a chili recipe I have uses it for thickening, so I've kind of fallen in love with the combined tomato-pumpkin flavors :)  I might have to eventually try something a little sweeter with it, too!

Regarding the pumpkin… It has beef broth in it so it’s kind of a mix of savory, sweet and salty.  The dollop of coconut milk was more for looks, but I had stirred a little and taken a bite. I didn’t want to feed the sugar dragon ;)

Im glad you brought up the starchy thing... i just started adding sweet potato and pumpkin in the past few days because  I was feeling a bit lethargic and hungry between meals, and realizing I wasn’t getting much of any starch. I’ve also been  reading in the forums that many people with mood disorders found they help with symptoms.  I try to limit it to 1/4–1/2 cup per meal (or half a potato) if I’m eating less other veggies. But I’ll keep an eye on this for the next couple days and see if tweaking helps.

Positive bits of mania?! I’d love to have my libido, creative juices and overall energy back. I think my boyfriend would like that too! :o 

I'll share a couple of excerpts from my log...

This one's from the first day I think I had a little taste of what tiger blood was for me (day 20):
"Today's been good. I've been productive, without feeling like I've been super-busy all day long, and I've felt healthy overall. I didn't, however, manage to write out notes throughout the day (like I usually do)... so this is going to be a super-short little wrap up. My brain feels kind of jazzed. It's like it's bouncing around a bit in my head, similar to a caffeine rush but without actually having had anything caffeinated since this morning (and no food in hours, so I'm assuming it's not related to natural food sugars, either)."

This one's from the day I looked back on and realized it really was my version of tiger blood (day 23):
"Today was another blur, and I really feel like I was just going (either mentally or physically, if not both) from the time I woke up. After taking youngest to school, I came home and browsed all of our local ads for the week so I could start putting together next week's meal plan (starting Thurs and running through Wed). I got a little of that done, before having to stop."

Since getting through the 30 days and doing reintroduction, I've had days with a calmer version of tiger blood -- energy that doesn't make my brain feel "jazzed" or like I'm going non-stop, more that I just feel like I have the energy to do what I need to do and that's enough. Those don't happen often, but I'm always glad when they do. I'm right with you on all those wishes, though... lol :) My meds don't help much with at least part of that, either, but I waited far too long to get on them so I'm not stopping them now.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:22 PM, Jihanna said:

I'll share a couple of excerpts from my log...

This one's from the first day I think I had a little taste of what tiger blood was for me (day 20):
"Today's been good. I've been productive, without feeling like I've been super-busy all day long, and I've felt healthy overall. I didn't, however, manage to write out notes throughout the day (like I usually do)... so this is going to be a super-short little wrap up. My brain feels kind of jazzed. It's like it's bouncing around a bit in my head, similar to a caffeine rush but without actually having had anything caffeinated since this morning (and no food in hours, so I'm assuming it's not related to natural food sugars, either)."

This one's from the day I looked back on and realized it really was my version of tiger blood (day 23):
"Today was another blur, and I really feel like I was just going (either mentally or physically, if not both) from the time I woke up. After taking youngest to school, I came home and browsed all of our local ads for the week so I could start putting together next week's meal plan (starting Thurs and running through Wed). I got a little of that done, before having to stop."

Since getting through the 30 days and doing reintroduction, I've had days with a calmer version of tiger blood -- energy that doesn't make my brain feel "jazzed" or like I'm going non-stop, more that I just feel like I have the energy to do what I need to do and that's enough. Those don't happen often, but I'm always glad when they do. I'm right with you on all those wishes, though... lol :) My meds don't help much with at least part of that, either, but I waited far too long to get on them so I'm not stopping them now.

Thanks! Im now dealing with an ADD situation. Brain is bouncing around and I’m having trouble staying on task, even with ADD meds. Which could mean I’m going slightly manic but I’m keeping a close eye on it. Super annoying! 

Catching up: R1D15 meal 2: pumpkin soup (without the coconut milk), leftover kale and almonds, leftover steak

Day15, meal 3: pulled pork carnitas with guacamole and salsa, on a bed of baby salad greens

day 16, meal 1: spinach frittata with 1/2 avocado

meal 2: 1 cup leftover carnitas mixed with 2 tbs coconut milk, salsa and guacamole

meal 3: perfect baked salmon topped with 1 Tbsp of herb-infused Ghee, 1/2 sweet potato with 1Tbsp plain Ghee, 1 cup Brussels sprouts

*felt a bit distracted and excessively ADD today even with meds. I definitely had more energy and got some things checked off my to-do list, but never got out of the house to do the more urgent items. At least I ate well, and I didn’t spend all day in the kitchen or burn any food LOL

789260F5-D411-4236-8AD6-3849D2CD19F4.jpeg

Archived