MaryMK

Just now starting to feel hungry all the time (day 17)

I’m doing my first whole 30. I'm on day 19 (yay!). The first 16 days were great--after making some initial tweaks to meal sizes, I was satisfied for 4-6 hours between meals. Cravings dissipated after the first several days. All was going well.

These last few days (starting on day 17), I've been really hungry. Any thoughts on what might be going on? Is it unusual to start being so hungry this late in the game? Thanks!

It's not that unusual and it's usually from either hormones (if you are a person who menstruates) or from consistently undereating... even if you're only slightly undereating, nutrition is cumulative so it's possible that there's some room for improvement there.

If you like, go ahead and list out a few days of your meals and we can take a look and see if anything stands out.

Thanks for your reply.  Here's what I've had to eat the past two days.  I'd appreciate any thoughts you have!

yesterday:

Breakfast:

• Coffee with nutpods creamer
  • 3 eggs over easy cooked in about a tablespoon of olive oil
  • half of a extra large avocado

Lunch:

• Two chicken drumsticks with a mustard orange sauce
  • about a cup and a half of a sweet potato salad that had some bacon and other veggies. The sweet potatoes had been cooked in coconut oil

snack:

• about a half of handful of cashews and 2 epic bites (those beef jerky bites)

Dinner

• grilled flank steak--I'd guess I had about 6 ounces
  • bok choy, broccoli, carrots, and snap peas sauteed in sesame oil--probably about 2 cups cooked.

The day before:

Breakfast:

• coffee with nutpods creamer
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 slices compliant bacon

Lunch:

• half pound burger
  • about a quarter cup of guacamole
  • about a cup of steamed broccoli
  • some lettuce and tomato (came with the burger)

snack:

• I polished off some heavily dressed carrot slaw--maybe about 1 cup's worth to tide me over until dinner.

Dinner:

• marinara sauce with a pretty large turkey meatball (about 2 inches in diameter) served over spiralized butternut squash
  • a cereal bowl sized serving of salad with a homemade balsamic viniagrette

One thing jumping out immediately is that you're missing veggies entirely with your first meal of the day... you've got the protein and the fat, but those veggies are important! I actually have to have at least a little bit of starchy veg with my first meal or I feel like I'm starving within a couple of hours (whereas starch with my 2nd meal usually has me wanting a pillow by 2pm), so it might be worth playing with the "when" of your starch intake a bit to see if that helps at all. Another thing I noticed with my own process is that I can't drink coffee before or during my first meal, else I won't be hungry enough to eat what I need to hold me until lunch. It looks like your snack is actually coming between lunch and dinner, but timing could still be an issue if you're eating a particularly early lunch because you get hungry too quickly.

I think reviewing the meal template might help -- https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf
And then don't feel boxed in by the lowest recommended amounts, especially when you're left feeling hungry and snacking between meals. It's natural to think "less food" (or especially "fewer carbs") = better results, but that's honestly not always the case, particularly if your body's reeling from not getting what it needs. When I feel like I'm not getting enough to eat, I increase my portion sizes while keeping the overall proportions suggested by the meal template; at some point, I inevitably stop being that hungry, so I just eat until I feel satisfied and then I'll save the rest of that plate as part of my next day's leftovers-meal. I'll also admit that my salads would never fit into our cereal bowls (they're more like piled high on a pie plate type of salads, haha).

On a side note... that meatball over butternut spirals sounds good enough to almost have me doing noodles with the one I'm supposed to use for home fries tonight :D 

you raise an interesting point. I've been using real plans and last week, the breakfast I prepped was a fritatta with veggies (but not a ton) and this week I have the whole avocado with egg situation.  In previous weeks, I was having either roasted sweet potatoes or some sort of hash.  The being more hungry may have coincided with that switch. I'll try going back to something starchy at breakfast and see how that goes (I liked it better anyway!).  thanks!!

You’re not eating nearly enough vegetables, and a serving of eggs is how many you can hold in your hand. For me that’s FOUR. Try increasing your eggs in the morning, adding non starchy vegetables to *every* meal.