Hangry, annoyed, over it..only on day 3

Hi all,

First time doing whole30 and I'm so over it. I'm angry, hating life, have a gross taste in my mouth and just tired. I know this is my body adjusting. But it's so blimmin hard! I just want to cry and eat 1kg of chocolate while doing it!

I'm already at the kill all things stage now, what happens when I actually get to the kill all things stage? I feel like I am experiencing all the feelings now - all the negative stages all at once. I'm worried it's never going to get better and I'll end this without making progress or correcting my negative relationship with food 

Most of this has stemmed from not being able to find some stupid apple chips in a shop that was meant to stock them. And I'm throwing an internal temper tantrum because of it.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm feeling quite overwhelmed by negative feelings and reactions.

Victoria

It sucks that you feel like that! At the risk of annoying you even more... apple chips aren't compliant, even if they have compliant ingredients *runs for cover*

It really is worth it to push through - I know it's hard to think logically when you're furious and hangry, but try to remember - if 3 days of fresh natural food can do this, what must your standard diet have been doing to your body and mind? Breaking negative relationships is HARD and frustrating, and sometimes you're just going to want to punch things, but the harder it is, the worse it must have been, and the more worth it it is to overcome.

Can you put that angry energy to good use? A quick YouTube boxing workout video? A destructive project you've been meaning to get on top of?

• Moderators

It will get better.

In the meantime, be sure you're eating enough (download the meal template here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/),  drinking plenty of water, and salting your food. Try to have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (potato, sweet potato, carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, plantains, or winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or kabocha squash).

And skip the apple chips, they would probably fall under the no commercially prepared chips rule anyway. 

Oh @Victoria L - we all feel your pain! That KATT stage can start early and hang on but, like Schrod said, imagine why this is happening! Your body is in a state of shock because you're depriving it of its chemicals and garbage - it's throwing a tantrum! Take care of yourself; remember why you're here; feed your body; love on yourself... this, too, will pass and your body will forgive you!

Hugs!

I second making sure you're following the template and getting enough to eat, in all categories... including carbs. Not everything about the program is intuitive for someone raised by the system of eating low-fat, low-carb, small-amounts for dieting... but it's worth letting go of those preconceptions and following the plan.

The timeline is based on averages (taking many experiences from many people and putting those into an "average" overview), and I doubt anyone actually follows it perfectly because all of our bodies are different... I certainly wasn't always "on point" with what happened to me at what time in my experience.

Your body's in denial and revolution mode right now. You're telling it that you're not giving it what it wants, what it's used to you caving in about every time... and it's throwing its own kind of temper tantrum, trying to make you stop this, right now. Don't give in -- cheer yourself on, know that you can do this, and put your foot down saying that your body's cravings won't rule you.

And in case you weren't sure: yes, you really can do this!

I made a very similar post around day 3. I promise you, it WILL get better and much easier if you stick with it. I would say for me, a habitual soda drinker and carbaholic, it was a full 13 days before I started feeling better. I never thought my cravings would go away but they totally did.

Make sure all your meals follow the template, include plenty of fat, and have a fist sized serving of starchy vegetables every day. I know right now this feels impossible and quite similar to torture, but I swear on everything good and holy that you CAN do this.

Archived