Anyone for a group start in the next week? Repeat offender headed for Rehab. ;)

C_Cezeaux

On 6/13/2019 at 10:39 PM, C_Cezeaux said:

tempted by the sweets. Each time that I"ve fallen back into the habit, it has taken a minimum of a week to work it back out of my system. Sadly, for me it's NO refined sugar or ALL. As in, I will eat every last piece of candy in a bag if I open it and try one.

I'm a sucker for sweets!!! I have a feeling I will be in a similar position, as I have so much difficulty eating "just one". I hope that I will be able to feel more self-confident and empowered by this process. What recommendations do people have to cultivate self-love and address issues with body image?

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

I'm a sucker for sweets!!! I have a feeling I will be in a similar position, as I have so much difficulty eating "just one". I hope that I will be able to feel more self-confident and empowered by this process. What recommendations do people have to cultivate self-love and address issues with body image?

Spend a good amount of time looking at yourself in a full length mirror. Be honest, but do not allow yourself to speak negatively of what you see there. Accept what is and if you don't like it, plan what you will do to change what is changeable. (Sorry, some things are just marks of life experience). It's a good body, it's carried you this far. :) Encourage yourself like you would a daughter or a friend.

End of week 1! That's the hardest part of the timeline for me. Not that the rest is super easy, but nothing like the groggy fatigue of week one. 

Going to have to heavily rely on pre-prepped veg from the local grocery store - thank goodness they have a good produce dept. The dairy free coleslaw was quick, easy, and tasty, so it goes in my lunch again this week. I can alternate shrimp and eggs to make it more of a salad, have avocados at the ready. Boom. Lunches planned. :)

R1D8  One week completed.  Since day 2, I'm not hungry.  I thought I had a sugar dragon,  but it's only reared it's ugly head when I was packing candy bars in my husband's lunch box.  Mindlessly, I almost opened one.  Day 4 I dreamed I ate a brownie,  so maybe the sugar dragon is messing with my subconscious.  My "chicken skin" on my upper arms and the rash on my stomach are gone.   I can breathe better through my nose and taste my food without taking my daily allergy medication.   I have more energy,  but yesterday my body told me it needed a nap,  so I listened.  I'm cooking up a storm and doing a lot of dishes,  so other areas of my life are getting less attention.  How was your first week?  Any NSVs?

@C_Cezeaux, can you post the Cole slaw recipe?  I found complaint mayo that tastes devine... like the stuff I remember from childhood.  The compliant ketchup tastes like... guess what?....TOMATOES!  I'm mad at the food companies and madder at myself for letting them trick me into thinking their product tasted good!

Day 8 is here and I will say I find myself not as hungry. I am deciding to do daily weight measurements for my HealthMate app and I am down 7 lbs! Exciting as my brothers wedding is getting closer! My goal is lose 20 by July 12!

Made this wonderful Smoke Salmon Fritatta i saw online! Unbelievably good! The sauce is a Green Onion Cashew Crema

Smoke Salmon Frittata.jpg

On 6/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, Rojobro said:

@C_Cezeaux, can you post the Cole slaw recipe?  I found complaint mayo that tastes devine... like the stuff I remember from childhood.  The compliant ketchup tastes like... guess what?....TOMATOES!  I'm mad at the food companies and madder at myself for letting them trick me into thinking their product tasted good!

@Rojobro I found it in the EasyPeasy recipe website - I have been using the precut cabbage and carrots that the local grocery does and have also tried mixing in a bag of broccoli slaw, which I really like.  It makes 8 pretty decent sized servings.

Ingredients
Coleslaw
½ white cabbage (roughly 500g/1lb), finely sliced
½ red cabbage (roughly 500g/1lb), finely sliced
4 large carrots (roughly 400g/14oz) grated
4 spring onions finely sliced (plus extra for garnish)
No Mayo Dressing
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar, or lemon juice)
4 teaspoons good quality Dijon mustard (I use Grey Poupon)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
8 tablespoons olive oil

Method
Prepare all the vegetables and set aside.
Place all the ingredients for the No Mayo Dressing in a clean jam jar, screw on the lid tightly and shake until thoroughly combined.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix together thoroughly – scatter a few extra sliced spring onions over the top for decoration.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:02 AM, Rojobro said:

My "chicken skin" on my upper arms and the rash on my stomach are gone.   I can breathe better through my nose and taste my food without taking my daily allergy medication.   I have more energy,  but yesterday my body told me it needed a nap,  so I listened.  I'm cooking up a storm and doing a lot of dishes,  so other areas of my life are getting less attention.  How was your first week?  Any NSVs?

This startled me - my daughter has this issue, after she did a round of W30 and some experimentation at the deli she works in, her culprit was discovered to be the (non-organic, hormone treated) chicken she was working with.  If she keeps goves on so it doesn't touch her and does not eat any, she's fine.  If she handles without gloves, she gets the rash again.  My trigger for that is wheat in any way, shape, or form.

I missed my post last night - gotta get better at that. But I am faithfully recording in my companion book. I do have a NSV to report for the first week. The eczema that shows up when I am not eating right has disappeared. :) 

I am actually feeling pretty accomplished this evening. Been a crazy couple days at work, my husband is down with heat exhaustion, frustrated over not getting things done - but I am sitting in my recliner after dinner, NOT SNACKING. I actually went and looked in the cabinet, told myself I was NOT hungry and came to check posts for distraction.  That is a big step back on the right path for me.

I am doing this! 

Day 10 in the books. :) I'm finding this round both easier and harder than earlier W30 I have done. Easier because I KNOW what the NSV I will gain from it are. Harder because I am really fighting myself on the "just a little won't hurt" on food I have successfully reintroduced before. So far I'm hanging in and beating it back. I really need my good reset! 

Tonight is Day 9 for me, and I notice that if I have a meal that isn't "hearty" enough or I don't make it look nice on a plate and sit down like a real human to have a meal (vs. eating while checking email or watching tv), I have cravings to keep snack snack snacking after the "meal" is done - usually going after things like raisins and nuts. Has that happened for anyone?

I still feel slightly fatigued, not sure if that's normal for Day 9 - was trying to map it on to the timeline...and am starting to dream more of the foods I'm missing :unsure:

19 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Tonight is Day 9 for me, and I notice that if I have a meal that isn't "hearty" enough or I don't make it look nice on a plate and sit down like a real human to have a meal (vs. eating while checking email or watching tv), I have cravings to keep snack snack snacking after the "meal" is done - usually going after things like raisins and nuts. Has that happened for anyone?

I still feel slightly fatigued, not sure if that's normal for Day 9 - was trying to map it on to the timeline...and am starting to dream more of the foods I'm missing :unsure:

Yes, if I don't sit at the table and pay attention to to my food, I will be hungry later. Eating while distracted is a bad thing for me.

Well. I am in the sad position of having to start my W30 over after I finish the round of antibiotics I am currently on. At least there were no steroids this time.  It's been a very unpleasant week for me so far. :-(

I will be keeping as close to the program as I can while I finish up, just discouraged to be taken out by a random bug and resulting infection.  Hopefully I will regain my excitement and motivation to get my reset accomplished as I start to feel better.

18 minutes ago, C_Cezeaux said:

Well. I am in the sad position of having to start my W30 over after I finish the round of antibiotics I am currently on. At least there were no steroids this time.  It's been a very unpleasant week for me so far. :-(

I will be keeping as close to the program as I can while I finish up, just discouraged to be taken out by a random bug and resulting infection.  Hopefully I will regain my excitement and motivation to get my reset accomplished as I start to feel better.

That is so frustrating, particularly when you feel like you had some good momentum going - I remember attempting the W30 a few months back and was foiled but a different event, and felt pretty bummed....and eventually got around to thinking that I at least built up my W30 muscle (like with any practice) and got through (arguably) the toughest days of the W30, which is often the first half...

So holding the dialectical approach - it sucks...AND you just spent a solid 16-17 days giving a the great gift of nourishment and care to your body!

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Vincydms said:

Good morning! 

New to this forum. I’m reading the Whole30 30day guide but I can’t seem to find breakfast ideas.

starting officially 1July.

Vincydms

Breakfast can be any food you'd eat at any other time of day. Lots of people choose to do eggs, because they're fast and easy and are something they associate with breakfast, but leftovers work well, soup, meatballs, these salmon patties: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/. Truly, just put a palm-sized piece or two of protein, a serving or two of healthy fat, and a bunch of vegetables on a plate, that's what all your meals should look like, even breakfast. 

Download the meal template here if you want a printable copy or a copy on your phone to refer to: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

@Vincydms Yes, you will be much better off if you learn to think of breakfast as just another meal. I love leftover BBQ chicken, steamed carrots, and guacamole for breakfast. I've come to enjoy pretty much any type of meal as my first meal of the day, though I do sometimes struggle with vegetables. 

That being said, here's my favorite... I love scrambled eggs (with a splash of coconut milk and cooked in ghee), bacon and soup! Soup is a super easy and palatable way for me to get vegetables in in the morning. Here are the three I rotate on the regular (listed in order of my favorites): 

1. Golden Cauliflower Soup: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/
  2. Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup: https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/
  3. Roasted Carrot Caraway Soup: https://meljoulwan.com/2017/10/07/roasted-carrot-caraway-soup/

"4 teaspoons good quality Dijon mustard (I use Grey Poupon)"

Grey Poupon has white wine and sugar in it, and is not compliant, sorry to say.  Trader Joe's has a compliant Dijon mustard, and I've seen others...

How is everyone doing? I am on Day 24 today, and have been experiencing some intense cravings. I attribute it to eating a medjool date with almond butter as a snack to hold me over last Wednesday. Since then, I've been craving dried fruit and fruits. I've been giving into the cravings, which has been disappointing at times, since I know the dangers of fruit, etc....but I'm finding it very challenging to battle these cravings. It seems that if I allow myself any fruit or dried fruit, my mind/body just want more, more more! This makes me really nervous about reintroduction and wondering whether or not the elimination process of Whole30 can produce these types of cravings? Any recommendations?

Archived