Anybody get a reaction after reintroduction but not after elimination?

So I'm on day 25, and I've been following the rules to the T so far (granted not all days were the healthiest/balanced, i.e., fruit and nuts all day), and I've had basically no withdrawals, side effects, no noticeable differences whatsoever, which was surprising considering the amount of sugar I used to eat. 

I'm just wondering if anyone had my experience but went on to see changes after reintroduction? 

My primary reasons for doing this were to see if any of my general feelings of un-wellness were related to food sensitivities. The secondary/bonus reason was weight loss. I can't speak to the latter yet but certainly no results on the wellness front. If anything, I feel worse. Pretty disappointed so far, but hoping maybe it'll get better.

Eating a lot of fruit could be part of why you didn't experience withdrawal, at least on the sugar front -- starving sugar dragons go through withdrawal, but fruit feeds it. Not having a healthy balance with meals meeting the template can definitely affect your overall feelings of wellness (or unwellness), too, especially if that happened often because nutrition is cumulative (meaning it takes more than just a day or two to correct an issue even if you're taking drastic steps).

If you're still not feeling it at the end of 30 days, I'd honestly suggest giving it a short bit longer and make sure that you follow the meal template fully. After that, if you feel like there's not been enough improvement and still think it could be food sensitivities at work, it might be worth having a discussion with your doctor and/or looking into low FODMAP as a next step. Just because a food is Whole30-compliant doesn't mean that it's a healthy food for every single body, since some may have sensitivities or even allergies to compliant foods. Just as an example, people who feel bloated often might have to reduce their cruciferous veggie intake (which can be hard if they've been substituting cauliflower rice into a bunch of woulda-been-rice dishes).

In terms of seeing changes after reintroduction, though, that's where half the magic happens. The elimination phase allows your body to get on a solid ground to work from, and reintroduction is about determining if you're going to react to any of the food groups that were cut out for the past 30+ days. So I'd say that yes, many of us have seen definitely effects during (and even after) reintroduction.

Good luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I did my whole30 in May and didn’t experience any negative symptoms. I felt generally good and had more energy, better sleep, etc. However since being off of it, I can definitely tell when I eat something my body doesn’t like- especially dairy (whey protein, cheese, creamer, even lactose free cheese so idk what that one is about lol). I’ve experienced bloating, stomach cramps, indigestion, nausea, and constipation all since coming off whole30. Sometimes I get mad bc even though I’m glad that my diet is better for the most part, my body will react SO badly to noncompliant foods that sometimes I wish I never did it! In the end I know I’m fueling my body and my habits are changing, but it can get frustrating for sure. 

So even though you might not feel much different now, you might find out what your food sensitivities are and will be able to test out what works for you and what doesn’t! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I definitely agree with what Jihanna had to say! If you've been "technically compliant" but getting by on nuts and fruit then you likely haven't played that sugar dragon at all (which is probably why you didn't experience the headaches/sugar withdrawals just about everyone does!). If you aren't feeling better overall it could definitely be because your meals aren't balanced, like she said. I'd refer to the Whole30 suggested meal template and make sure that your all of your meals include protein and healthy fat. Can I ask what an average day has looked like for you as far as what you're eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Eating too little could also be the problem. If your body is in starvation mode you'll definitely not be reaping the tiger blood benefits. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:14 PM, Emrujo said:

Hey! I did my whole30 in May and didn’t experience any negative symptoms. I felt generally good and had more energy, better sleep, etc. However since being off of it, I can definitely tell when I eat something my body doesn’t like- especially dairy (whey protein, cheese, creamer, even lactose free cheese so idk what that one is about lol). I’ve experienced bloating, stomach cramps, indigestion, nausea, and constipation all since coming off whole30. Sometimes I get mad bc even though I’m glad that my diet is better for the most part, my body will react SO badly to noncompliant foods that sometimes I wish I never did it! In the end I know I’m fueling my body and my habits are changing, but it can get frustrating for sure. 

So even though you might not feel much different now, you might find out what your food sensitivities are and will be able to test out what works for you and what doesn’t! 

This is exactly what happened after my first whole30 I did years ago.  I don't know why I'm doing one again, except for the fact that I fit into the "all or nothing" category of people that eats all the sugar in the room normally, or none of it on the Whole30 or eating paleo.  I know my body eventually adjusted back to eating all of the stuff I found out I was sensitive to (without horrible stomach cramps), but I wish I had been disciplined enough to cut out the foods causing me those problems and then never look back.  Nothing wrong with trying again... so wish me luck in my Whole30 -Take Two.

Archived