Someone just tried to sabotage me... 4 times!

Well, an unexpected benefit of this experience is that I am figuring out who I can trust. I just had someone I know try, 4 times in a row, to throw me off plan by offering me things she specifically knew I was avoiding. And then she basically tried to shame me by speaking derogatorily about what I am doing in front of mutual friends by calling Whole30 "That horrible thing you're doing". Which of course opened up a whole discussion I wasn't prepared or in the mood for, in public.   What the hell?!? I think I recovered and handled the explanation of what I am doing well but the wild thing is I am not even tempted by any of these things AT ALL. I feel satisfied on what I am eating to the point where I barely even have interest in coffee anymore! If you knew me, you'd realize that this is truly earth shattering news. lol! 

I feel like some people are threatened by me mentioning that I am making some changes for my health. I am not saying they should or need to do what I am doing, I am just explaining what I am doing because it effects my scheduling. I need to eat at regular intervals, etc. Ugh! But the good news is I navigated both a saturday night party and a sunday opera outing with no problems. 

Unfortunately, it's true that not everyone will understand... and some who don't understand won't be willing to accept and respect your decision to do this. It really sucks that it's happened to you, but I'm so glad that you weren't actually tempted by what this person offered (that would've made it a little more difficult to handle it gracefully, I'm sure). I honestly think being able to shrug off temptations is a great way of showing them that you're not missing what they're craving, too.

Do what's best for you, and if they can't handle that then they can pay attention to something else.

I've found that it tends to be people who are insecure with their own food choices that need to sabotage others. They know  they eat too much crap, and either (1) want to change but don't feel they can, or (2) don't want to change but know they should. And getting others to eat the same crap they want to eat justifies their bad choices. Good for you for handling the situation! 

That's actually a really jerky thing to do. I can't quite understand why people feel the need to blatantly disrespect the way someone else is eating, especially if it's healthy and well founded. I find I'm very hard pressed to remain civil in situations like that. Well done you for not just cutting her down.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Here's a good article on how to handle situations when friends or family may not be supportive of your new health goals. 

https://whole30.com/2013/07/its-not-me-its-you/

And remember, you do not need to defend or explain yourself. You are working hard and staying committed!! That is something to be proud of!! You can also try using a simple, "No, thank you" and then change the topic of conversation. You got this!!

" you do not need to defend or explain yourself"

This is a really good point, Erinj. 

Tonight I made the most incredible meal. It was absolutely lush. So I took a photo of it and posted it on social media. Hardly deprived over here!LOL!

Here's what I made if you are looking for something new. I shredded a head of purple cabbage, a head of green cabbage, and 4 carrots for the base. Now I have a giant bag of shredded veg to use as a base for more of this recipe or for others. I thought the raw shredded veg was pretty tasty to use in place of the regular salad greens too! I also added a a handful of cashews while I stir fried it and a hard boiled egg on top before serving too! Would also be great with spicy or teryaki chicken if you are not a seafood person.

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/shrimp-egg-roll-in-a-bowl-paleo-whole30/

Archived