Long flight and 10 days business trip

Pashcool

Yes, you need to be prepared. I was on W33 while travelling from Toronto to Adelaide (34 hours of travel, 3 airports) and finding food was hell - the world is not geared up for W30. But, you also need to be mindful of what you can take on planes or through security. I found I couldn't even find things in Relay (airport shop). I ate a few bags of Lay's plain chips out of desperation. 

For travel, I'd recommend a packet of nuts, some boiled eggs, compliant jerky (if you can get it - I haven't been able to source it here in Canada), fruit/dried fruit, larabars, veggie sticks.  Remember to leave any leftover food on the plane - most foreign countries won't let you in with them. From the Air Canada menu I have been able to purchase Wholly Guacamole mini pack (served with corn chips - had to skip those) and cut up veggies - that worked well. I love tomato juice so I get that as my free beverage.

Finally, most airlines link to their menu offerings. Air Canada, for example, even sells vouchers for meals that allow you to pay a lower price ahead of time. It might be good to check with your carrier to see what'll be on offer. Of course, not everything is always available of every flight so yo're still going to want to be preapred. You might also be able to preorder a special meal. 

For the 10 days of hotel living - that can be a challenge. Hopefully a continental breakfast is on offer and you can at least get eggs and fruit :) I find it's a challenge otherwise. I tend to find the closest city style grocer and load up my room bar fridge with things I can eat just in case. Having fruit and veggies with some babaganoush on hand is a godsend if the food at the restaurant we're meeting at is largely non-compliant.  Dodging the break offerings of muffins and pastries is easier if you're not starving! I also bring my favourite tea bags with me just in case the coffee is crap. 

I hope this helps a little...

Safe travels!

If it's an option, you may also want to look at reserving a hotel that has a mini kitchen (many extended stay hotels have them). They're oftentimes cheaper than a regular hotel and would give you the option to buy and cook some groceries.  They typically come stocked with the cookware and dishes that you would need to make simple meals. 

Best of luck to you! 

Archived