Rice concentrate got me, help!!

Help! I’m on day 11 of my first whole30 and I realized that the Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning I had used in my dinner two nights ago and lunch yesterday has non-compliant rice concentrate in it! It’s the last ingredient listed, so hopefully there isn’t much in there but I still had a little over two teaspoons of the stuff. I would like to start over, and I think most people would say I should, but unfortunately that isn’t very realistic for me since I will be traveling a lot starting next month. I’ve read that some accidental added sugar usually isn’t a huge problem, but I was wondering if the same can be said about the small amount of added grain I had. I’m super bummed because everything was going really well and I would hate if my results were drastically affected because of such a small mistake. Any advice is welcome! 

First, breathe. I'm assuming that you haven't bloated four sizes larger or blown up entirely, so that's a good sign.

Second, being willing to start over is a good thing, regardless of whether or not your schedule would really make that a feasible thing to do. The fact is, you're aware of it now, you'll stop using it, and you're willing to accept that there may be some effect from it.

So what to do?
I'd move forward, continue the Whole30 as planned, counting the days without starting them over, and evaluate how I feel at the end and decide at that point whether or not I want to extra days to make sure I've gotten the best possible starting point for reintroduction.  I'm big on the idea of "adding time" rather than "starting over" anyway, so I know beyond doubt that's exactly how I would approach the whole thing.

In the mean time, maybe be a little extra watchful of how you're feeling (physically and otherwise) to see if there might've been some noticeable effect to your system that fades/ends over time to indicate that it could've had something to do with the rice concentrate.

Thanks so much for your advice! I did notice some bloating but I have been experiencing some just due to starting the program so I don’t think it was too detrimental. You’re right, I’ve at least had the right mindset so I’m going to continue and not worry about it, hopefully I can add on a few days at the end!

Archived