kirbz

New Pre- and Post-Workout Guidelines - Has Anyone Tried It?

So, it looks like some new guidelines were published in February 2019 for pre- and post-workout meals. Here is a link to the article: https://whole30.com/2019/02/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/

Based on my understanding, these are new guidelines that trump what is currently documented in the Meal Template (though apparently there are plans for the Meal Template to be updated). In my own words and based on my own understanding, this is how I interpret the article's guidelines: 

• Pre-Workout: 2-3 hours before workout; combination of protein and high-fiber carbohydrate
  • IntraWorkout (for continuous, moderate-to-high intensity workouts longer than 45 minutes): protein and fruit juice or fruit  
  • Post-Workout: within 60 minutes;  lean protein, high-fiber carbohydrates, and lots of veggies 

So, my question is this. Has anyone tried a Whole30 under these new guidelines? How did it work for you? Any suggestions or recommendations? Tips or tricks? Foods that worked well?

Also, if anyone can help me understand how the concept of being fat adapted works with these new guidelines, I would love to know. I LOVE It Starts with Food and rely very heavily on all the stuff that just plain made sense to me after reading it. But, now, being fat-adapted doesn't make sense at all. If not fueling pre-workout with fat, then, how does that all work?

Anyway, I've referenced some of this information on other threads but thought it would be helpful to have a dedicated discussion about this topic. So, please, let's discuss!  

I don't have any answers here, as these are my questions too. What I wondered was: if we are adding carbs to our workout, won't our body tap into those carbs instead of our fat stores for energy use? I'm clueless and only 'beginner' informed on fueling for workouts to begin with. Are the workout guidelines the only things that have been updated @kirbz? The original template, as far as pre- and post-workout works pretty well for me so far, but I'm not doing anything too intense yet. For now I'll stick with that, but will likely need to change as my strength increases and training intensifies. 

As far as I'm aware, nothing else has changed. Fundamentally, protein, fat, and vegetables are the basis of healthy food choices. So I don't think that changes in the slightest. But, science is growing and evolving all the time, right? So, I think we've just learned more about what best fuels the body. Hence, the pre- and post-workout recommendations. 

I'm with you though, in that I don't get the concept of being fat adapted and fueling your pre-workout body with carbs. That also seems to me like it would just give your body easy access to carb stores and then your body wouldn't be burning fat as fuel and then, well, what does it even mean to be fat adapted anymore? I really wish it all made sense to me. 

But, in the end, I know this program works, even if I don't understand a few details. I know the previous pre- and post-workout meal suggestions work. So, I'll give these new guidelines a try and can always revert back if needed. Though I'm still figuring out what that will look like... 

The article that is linked above is focused on exercise performance with a bias towards carbohydrate fueling.  If there's one time of day where you would try to bump up insulin with low-fat fruit and protein, then during a workout would seem to be that time.  I like blending berries (blackberries, though blueberries work well also) and drinking that right before working out.  Consuming additional hard food *during* a general strength/fitness workout seems impractical to me though.  That's just not the time to be trying to chew anything.

In any case though, since the purpose is exercise performance, the thing to do would be measure your exercise performance.  Perhaps experiment with different amounts/types of food and see what works best?