Hailey Hirsch

Newbie starting July 8

I’ve chosen my start date for after my bridal shower. I’m excited to get started! As I start trying to early prepare I’m wondering if there is an app or anything that will help with labels at the grocery. I try to read them and buy clean but labels are overwhelming and I’m sure I could do better. What I’m looking for is something that I can use to scan a barcode and see if it is compliant. 

No. There are apps that say they will do that, but none are official Whole30 apps and we cannot guarantee that they are accurate. It's best to learn to read labels for yourself. 

If you look at this page, download the rules, the common additives cheat sheet, and the sneaky sugars list, and those should cover most of what you need:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

What I've found helps for me is to keep the basic rules, common additives, and sneaky sugars with me when I go to the store. Instead of taking the big print-outs, though, I have two copies -- one is on my phone (I saved the PDFs to my Google drive, which I can look at from anywhere) and the other is hand-written in a little mini-composition notebook. Over time, you'll probably pick up little tricks that help you to more quickly read and process what labels actually say, but learning to do it is definitely worth the time it takes to get it done.