Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

@kristilarson I'm sorry to hear you lost your dad. I lost my dad in early March and he is part of the reason I took this on. He also smoked for many years and ended up with heart failure and COPD because of it. His heart stopped when he was admitted to the hospital for some tests and they couldn't revive him. You are right, there is no right way to grieve. When I'm feeling down or like this is too hard I remind myself that no change is easy. I try to remember that I am really lucky to understand that a little discomfort means that I am making good changes in my life. I don't want my children to have to watch me get sick and die slowly before their eyes like I did with my dad. I want to have a healthy life that I enjoy to the fullest and changing my relationship with food through this program is the step I need to take right now to accomplish that. You are in my thoughts and heart. ❤

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of Day 10. Today was a so-so day. I didn't have any cravings but I didn't really have any appetite either. I know there's a lot of talk about making sure we're eating enough fat, but is there such a thing as too much? For today, I had a sweet potato and chorizo hash with 2 eggs fried in about a tbsp of ghee, and for lunch I had buffalo chicken spaghetti squash with peppers and green onions and 2 to 3 tbsps of ranch dressing drizzled on top, a cup of strawberries and about 6 to 10 cashews. I ate breakfast at about 6:30am and lunch around 11:30. Last week I felt really hungry when it was getting close to mealtime. But today I practically had force myself to eat my meals, especially dinner. The day to day guide says that today we might be kind of sick of food and I think that's where I'm at. I'm going to scour pinterest for some interesting recipes for next week. I hope everyone had a good, successful day today. We will conquer the day again tomorrow. 

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Laura of The Great White North said:

End of Day 10. Today was a so-so day. I didn't have any cravings but I didn't really have any appetite either. I know there's a lot of talk about making sure we're eating enough fat, but is there such a thing as too much? For today, I had a sweet potato and chorizo hash with 2 eggs fried in about a tbsp of ghee, and for lunch I had buffalo chicken spaghetti squash with peppers and green onions and 2 to 3 tbsps of ranch dressing drizzled on top, a cup of strawberries and about 6 to 10 cashews. I ate breakfast at about 6:30am and lunch around 11:30. Last week I felt really hungry when it was getting close to mealtime. But today I practically had force myself to eat my meals, especially dinner. The day to day guide says that today we might be kind of sick of food and I think that's where I'm at. I'm going to scour pinterest for some interesting recipes for next week. I hope everyone had a good, successful day today. We will conquer the day again tomorrow. 

It doesn't look like too much fat, but if you were so full still by your next meal that you felt you were forcing yourself to eat, you might back off just a tiny bit on it. This is something you may just have to play with and see what works for you -- ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied for about 4-5 hours. 

12 hours ago, Laura of The Great White North said:

I'm feeling the same way! I'm having to make myself eat because I'm just not interested. 

12 hours ago, Laura of The Great White North said:

I found myself feeling the same way! It’s wonderful to have lost the constant hunger pangs, but now I feel like I have to make sure that I eat. Amazing. 

Day 12 and my back pain this morning is so bad I can’t handle it. On my way to the Dr. I have been taking less medicine and I’m sure that’s why. I also think candida die off is making everything worse and I’m going to talk to Dr about that too. Yesterday I had 2 emergency bars which I feel bad about since I should stay away from dried fruit and have been, but there was a birthday celebration and I wasn’t prepared for it and it was the cake or the Rx bar. The best I could do was that. 

I just want to not hurt. At least I don’t want to eat off plan right now although I don’t feel like eating at all. I am just not in a good place right now and I honestly feel bad about posting something so negative. Maybe if I share the feelings then they won’t take me over and I can get past it. I believe this story will have a happy ending. 

Healthy eating habits- I have a long way to go...

Don't feel bad @KaraS. This is why we're here - to support each other through the good and the bad. I have not been feeling well the last two days. It's been a struggle to eat because I have no appetite. But I make sure that what I do end up eating it's on plan, even if it's not perfect. I hope we all get through these next few days and feel better by Monday!

I made the mistake of not taking my daily omeprazole yesterday. I thought, 'Maybe my heartburn will magically be gone after 10 days without fried foods, alcohol, sugar, etc.' I mean, I know I have the hiatal hernia, but it's a small one, so I thought maybe dietary changes would help knock the heartburn down. NOPE! I thought I was going to throw up during my workout. I took a pill last night, and then my regular dose this morning. I'm almost feeling back to normal. Maybe I'll try it again at 30 days, but I'm expecting more of the same, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Day 12 is mostly over! This weekend could be a challenge for me...I'm participating in a read-a-thon so I know I'll be snacky! I'll be reading 24 out of 48 hours, with the rest of the time dedicated to sleep and meals and mini breaks. I know I need to make a meal plan for the weekend, but I haven't had time yet today.

Hello everyone!

I also started July 8th and have felt great every other day after the first week but now I am having joint pain. Has anyone else had bad joint pain after the first week? Mine has been so bad starting yesterday afternoon (let up this morning a bit) and has been just as bad this afternoon.  I was achy a bit here and there the first week, but this is way worse. Is this normal??

Ohhhhhhhh, guyyyyyyys...I screwed up!

I had an appointment to donate blood today--no problem. Brought an apple and cucumber to avoid the post-donation juice and cookies. Was all proud of myself for thinking ahead. Afterwards the volunteers offered a box of snacks that had raisins, pretzels, cheese crackers, Oreos, etc. Again, no problem. I was prepared--or so I thought. I selected the pretzels and ate them without even thinking about it!! I took the raisins, too...and even looked at the ingredients on BOTH packages! ("Neither had added sugar, so I thought hey these are great!") I even ate the apple I brought! It didn't hit me until I WAS HALFWAY BACK HOME that I had just eaten a packet of pretzels!!!

You guys, I feel so silly!! LOL I'm weighing out whether or not to start over or just finish out the rest of the Whole30 as-is. I'm definitely not giving up, just a matter of whether tomorrow is Day 1 or Day 16! Thoughts, anyone? What would you do? :D

I would make my whole30 a whole42 so I didn’t feel as if I failed but still got the full benefits of no gluten or whatever is in pretzels for 30 days. But that is just me. There is something powerful with this program when done correctly including reintroduction, I am hoping! With reintroduction we are looking at 40 days at least. Hopefully the moderators will also chime in. 

@Laura Thank you for your support and I hope you are feeling better very soon! 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, masonjar87 said:

I had an appointment to donate blood today--no problem. Brought an apple and cucumber to avoid the post-donation juice and cookies. Was all proud of myself for thinking ahead. Afterwards the volunteers offered a box of snacks that had raisins, pretzels, cheese crackers, Oreos, etc. Again, no problem. I was prepared--or so I thought. I selected the pretzels and ate them without even thinking about it!! I took the raisins, too...and even looked at the ingredients on BOTH packages! ("Neither had added sugar, so I thought hey these are great!") I even ate the apple I brought! It didn't hit me until I WAS HALFWAY BACK HOME that I had just eaten a packet of pretzels!!!

You guys, I feel so silly!! LOL I'm weighing out whether or not to start over or just finish out the rest of the Whole30 as-is. I'm definitely not giving up, just a matter of whether tomorrow is Day 1 or Day 16! Thoughts, anyone? What would you do? :D

Definitely keep going, don't use this as an excuse to eat all the things. You can always wait until day 30 and see what you want to do. Often, people find that when they hit day 30, the idea of just continuing for a while longer is not as overwhelming as it may be early on in the 30 days, when you're still getting into the swing of things and haven't necessarily started noticing all the benefits yet. 

16 hours ago, masonjar87 said:

Don't be too hard on yourself. It was just an oops! I've only done this in my dreams...once was pasta, the second time was cheese. I couldn't even enjoy the food in my dreams, though, because I knew it was off limits! 

It's so difficult to have to think about ingredients constantly! We have a work outing on an island this Monday, and I'm going to have to bring all my own food. No open bar for me either.

@ShannonM816 Oh, definitely won't Eat All The Things! I think I will take your advice and see how I feel on Day 30. If I can do another two weeks without much trouble, I'll go for it. Having completed the first two weeks, I feel like some of the hard stuff is over and it's just an endurance thing at this point.

@kristilarson Don't worry, I've only been laughing at myself this whole time! :D Ive had the Craving Dreams too...the worst was last week after I foraged some wild raspberries and couldn't make my traditional summer pie with them!

Kristilarson, I agree with you- it's been difficult to have to think about ingredients constantly.  I thought I was fairly well versed in reading labels but I have never read labels so carefully ever.  And sometimes I think, wait, can I have that?  And I have to remember some of the details of what's ok vs. off limits.  But otherwise for me, it has been going pretty well.  I haven't even had fruit the past 2 nights which I was using as a slight crutch to wean off of desserts.  It wasn't too hard either.  NSV! The past few days have been very busy for me.  My brother is visiting and we have been on the go and there were times that I completely forgot that I was eating in a different way.  I will be glad to be home tomorrow to regroup and get my weeklong menu planned, get groceries and try to get my house in order.  But I am grateful for the down time and staying cool by the pond during this heat wave.  

On 7/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, ilovethesea said:

Hello everyone!

I also started July 8th and have felt great every other day after the first week but now I am having joint pain. Has anyone else had bad joint pain after the first week? Mine has been so bad starting yesterday afternoon (let up this morning a bit) and has been just as bad this afternoon.  I was achy a bit here and there the first week, but this is way worse. Is this normal??

I did, terrible joint pain around days 9-12. It’s gone now, and I’d like to think it’s the diet, but I also changed my glucosamine supplement around that time; same dose just different formulation with vitamin D,etc. 

thoughts?

On 7/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, kristilarson said:

Don't be too hard on yourself. It was just an oops! I've only done this in my dreams...once was pasta, the second time was cheese. I couldn't even enjoy the food in my dreams, though, because I knew it was off limits! 

It's so difficult to have to think about ingredients constantly! We have a work outing on an island this Monday, and I'm going to have to bring all my own food. No open bar for me either.

A great drink for me on this diet is Grapefruit juice and club soda with a slice of lime. 

Hi all!  I hope everyone is having a good day 14! I am still not feeling well and struggling with having little to no appetite. I am also beyond frustrated that I cannot find a single cough drop or throat lozenge that doesn't have some form of sugar or soy in it! I know the rules say that you can take OTC meds with non-compliant ingredients but I'm trying really hard not to. This sore throat is just miserable though. The dr said it's not strep, so that's a bonus. I'm hoping it will be done with me soon!

Grapefruit juice with club soda and lime sounds so refreshing!  It's been so hot lately.  That would just hit the spot.  I have been drinking lots of mineral water and seltzer.  The citrus addition would make it extra special. Thanks! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laura of The Great White North said:

Hi all!  I hope everyone is having a good day 14! I am still not feeling well and struggling with having little to no appetite. I am also beyond frustrated that I cannot find a single cough drop or throat lozenge that doesn't have some form of sugar or soy in it! I know the rules say that you can take OTC meds with non-compliant ingredients but I'm trying really hard not to. This sore throat is just miserable though. The dr said it's not strep, so that's a bonus. I'm hoping it will be done with me soon!

You might look for throat coat tea. Gargling with salt water may help too. If the sore throat is because of post-nasal drip or sinus drainage stuff, treating that may help your throat feel better too -- that might mean taking allergy or sinus meds or using a neti pot or similar sinus clearing things. Hope you feel better soon.

Day 16. Husband has gone from little help to no help. He is stepping in the scale and hating the food and lost a ton of weight. I am not doing this for him it’s 100% for me. So I did all the shopping and cooking by myself with 3 kids and birthday parties this weekend. I think he will come around but I wish I had more help now. The update on medical doctors and candida is that they can’t help me and told me they go see a natural path Dr. Which of course is not covered by insurance. Dr’s break my heart. They could not or would not even recommend anything. As if an overgrowth of yeast is an imaginary thing. Even though it was shown on a blood test. I have wanted to quit but I won’t. This has been hard and painful but I know it is because of how unhealthy I am on the inside. I am even considering extending my whole30 just to really give my system a reset. I don’t think I can get rid of a year of candida in 30 days. I am still having sugar cravings and have kept eating at least 4 Rx bars per week last week. I know it’s not healthy but it was the complaint option I had available during these parties (3 this weekend) 

ice cream social 

chilli cookoff/ baked good events 

birthday party. 

I hope you guys are enjoying tigers blood, I’m not there yet. 

Archived