Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@kristilarson did you have a plated fat with dinner?  I find it really helps with my satisfaction level.  As for the flavor, it may be better tomorrow.  I often enjoy leftovers more than the initial meal.  This could be because I don't have to cook again, lol, but it is true non-the-less.  I think adding the red pepper flakes, coconut aminos, and sesame oil would do wonders.  Keep it up; you've got this!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To jump on the end of what was said above me, a little sesame oil goes a LONG WAY toward making foods taste better. We go through a lot of coconut aminos in my house. My favorite sauce to use when cooking beef is a quick bullet blender mix of coconut aminos, cooking oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper... throw that in a pan with some ground beef and onions, add some shredded carrots and mushrooms, then toss in some spiralized or riced daikon radish (or riced cauliflower) and simmer for a few more minutes... that's one of our favorite weeknight dinners, right there :D 

29 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

To jump on the end of what was said above me, a little sesame oil goes a LONG WAY toward making foods taste better. We go through a lot of coconut aminos in my house. My favorite sauce to use when cooking beef is a quick bullet blender mix of coconut aminos, cooking oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper... throw that in a pan with some ground beef and onions, add some shredded carrots and mushrooms, then toss in some spiralized or riced daikon radish (or riced cauliflower) and simmer for a few more minutes... that's one of our favorite weeknight dinners, right there :D 

That sounds so delicious!! Thank you for sharing!

Hi I am Kara and today was day 1. I am sick of being tired and in pain all the time due to inflammation. I have been in 4 car accidents in the last 29 years the last was a month ago and I was hit by a drunk driver. It wasn’t too bad but I had just gotten to a point of relief with my chronic back pain. Now it’s bad all over again. I believe I can change my inflammation through nutrition but I know it’s going to be hard because I have 40 years of bad habits. I read the whole30 book a year ago but needed to stop smoking to really give this a chance and I did that 3 weeks ago now. I got stuck at Walmart for hours and grabbed an RX bar and took a bite and tasted chocolate so I spit it out and picked out the chocolate pieces. Lesson learned. Did I fail? No, but I will add on 1 more day just in case. I found it really confusing when shopping at my normal store to understand if I was buying the right things. A recipe called for chorizo and I am not sure if the store packaged one is okay. I’m sure it will get easier. I also have kids in my home so I couldn’t really clean out my kitchen but I got rid of the junk food. I really hope that this will help me build a healthy relationship with food and lower my inflammation and pain and my terrible digestive system as well as help me get rid of candidia not sure how to spell it. So that I can live a long energetic active life and run around after great grandbabies. My family is everything to me. I really want a better me to be there for them. I have a 24 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy and 7 yr old beautiful girl and a 3 yr old granddaughter as well as a supportive husband who is on day one with me. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, KaraS said:

A recipe called for chorizo and I am not sure if the store packaged one is okay.

To know if a food is ok, you check the ingredients list and see if the ingredients are all allowed. 

There are helpful downloads here, including the rules, a common additives cheat sheet, and a sneaky sugars list, that can help you figure out what ingredients are ok or not: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

12 hours ago, coachmandiep said:

@kristilarson did you have a plated fat with dinner?  I find it really helps with my satisfaction level.  As for the flavor, it may be better tomorrow.  I often enjoy leftovers more than the initial meal.  This could be because I don't have to cook again, lol, but it is true non-the-less.  I think adding the red pepper flakes, coconut aminos, and sesame oil would do wonders.  Keep it up; you've got this!

@coachmandiepI didn't have any plated fat. Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of that. I also just realized that I forgot to add the toasted sesame seeds, oops. I don't like to cook every day-it's so much work for one person! And I don't have a dishwasher, so part of the problem is the clean-up.

I'm so annoyed. I just realized that the cashews I bought at Target (and both the almonds and cashews stocked at work) contain peanut oil! Why? I really don't feel like spending more money on cashews. They were part of my lunch yesterday, and are supposed to be today as well. 

I forgot my snacks at home today. Luckily I work near a Whole Foods, so I'll probably be making a quick trip over there.

22 hours ago, kirbz said:

Hello everyone! I started ... something ... today. I'm not sure yet if it will be a Whole30 or a mini reset. I've completed two, complete Whole30 rounds and have done several other mini resets and partial rounds. I've done formal reintroductions so I know what foods do and do not bother me. But, I have been eating terribly and feeling terribly and want to get back on track. So, here I am!

My goals are two-fold. First, long-term health. I love the outdoors and aspire to be that 80-year old women out hiking a hard trail later in my life. Second, sustainability. I'm still trying to figure out a way to eat this way and make is sustainable so it becomes a long-term lifestyle change. So, I'll be going with very simple meals and focusing on what would be realistic for a lifetime of healthy eating.  

Anyway, I hope you don't mind if I join you, even if I'm unsure whether I will do the full 30 days. I have a business trip, a three day backpacking trip and a full week long camping trip during the next 30 days. But it's actually the business trip that has me most wary.  I've done and know I can do camping and backpacking on Whole30. So, I'll see how I'm feeling after a week and re-evaluate my aspirations for a mini reset or a full Whole30. 

You have two really great "whys" here!  When working with clients, this is the first thing I encourage them to complete and then return to that why when they are feeling discouraged during their Whole30, it makes a world of difference!  :)  

@ebutz27 Thanks for the response! I definitely find myself coming back to those "whys" on a regular basis and they're very powerful for me! 

I guess what I'm struggling with the most is how to make this a lifestyle change. I know I can do Whole30. I've done it several times, including longer variations. What I don't know is that I can sustain a long-term lifestyle change. I'm an all-or-nothing person and I revert back to very, very poor eating habits eventually each time. Which is kinda what has me debating whether I should make this a Whole30. You see, I have a trip on Sunday where I will be traveling to a place with the best dessert I have ever had. I really want to have that dessert. So, is it better to commit to this Whole30 and not partake? Or is it better to build food freedom skills, have the dessert, and then return to the way I want to eat for the long term? Because that dessert would most definitely be "worth it" in any context! It's in a place I rarely travel and it is amazing. 

I'm kinda leaning toward the food freedom skills being the more important thing to focus on here...  

2 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@ebutz27 Thanks for the response! I definitely find myself coming back to those "whys" on a regular basis and they're very powerful for me! 

I guess what I'm struggling with the most is how to make this a lifestyle change. I know I can do Whole30. I've done it several times, including longer variations. What I don't know is that I can sustain a long-term lifestyle change. I'm an all-or-nothing person and I revert back to very, very poor eating habits eventually each time. Which is kinda what has me debating whether I should make this a Whole30. You see, I have a trip on Sunday where I will be traveling to a place with the best dessert I have ever had. I really want to have that dessert. So, is it better to commit to this Whole30 and not partake? Or is it better to build food freedom skills, have the dessert, and then return to the way I want to eat for the long term? Because that dessert would most definitely be "worth it" in any context! It's in a place I rarely travel and it is amazing. 

I'm kinda leaning toward the food freedom skills being the more important thing to focus on here...  

These are great questions to be reflecting on!  A couple more for you... (haha!)

1. You obviously know Whole30 and about the concept of Food Freedom - which is awesome!  Have you read Food Freedom Forever?  Wondering because I would refer to a couple of things that Melissa says in there that you may be familiar with.

2. Do you find that once you return to FF after doing a round of Whole30 that you enjoy FF for longer amounts of time or are you reverting to old habits almost immediately?

I understand where you are coming from with the "all or nothing" - I am an abstainer with a wicked sugar dragon!  It sounds like this might be the perfect opportunity to practice your food freedom.  Perhaps starting to utilize the mini-reset may help you navigate your true food freedom?  Maybe before and after your trip? 

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

To know if a food is ok, you check the ingredients list and see if the ingredients are all allowed. 

There are helpful downloads here, including the rules, a common additives cheat sheet, and a sneaky sugars list, that can help you figure out what ingredients are ok or not: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

I did both but the ingredients said seasoning blend which was why I couldn’t be 100% sure. 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, KaraS said:

I did both but the ingredients said seasoning blend which was why I couldn’t be 100% sure. 

Ah. I think they'd have to list msg or sugar if they're in there, and most brands will list if something contains soy or dairy or peanuts just for the allergy factor, to keep from being sued if someone has an allergic reaction. It's probably okay. It is really annoying that companies won't just list the ingredients. 

I am so grateful for the wonderful discussions happening on this thread. I am learning so much from reading everything. I have learned 3 things so far today on Day 2. 1- Tessemae's Pantry Ranch Dressing is VERY GOOD! 2- You can make hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot. Game Changer! And 3- I need to read the label on my cashews. Peanut oil???? I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Yes! I really, really recommend that you always, always, always read your labels! It takes just a moment once you're more familiar with the types of ingredients you'll be seeing and it's oh-so powerful to know what you're putting in your body. Because really, it's ridiculous the garbage they put in our food. 

And don't take anything for granted. I've seen specific products compliant sometimes and not compliant at other times (why do companies make more than one version of a single product?). I've also had an experience where I received an official Whole30 email with a link to "Melissa's Whole30 Favorites" and one of the items was not compliant (that was a fun surprise halfway through my first Whole30). 

So yeah, always read your labels! It's worth the few seconds to know what you're putting in your one and only body! 

@Laura of The Great White North I have a whole slew of Whole30-compliant products that I love! My favorite dressing is actually Primal Kitchen Caesar! I'd be more than happy to share my favorites if you'd like.

Also, the @Whole30Approved Instagram feed has lots of Whole30 approved product ideas. They are generally expensive, but if you have the ability to afford them, they can add so much convenience! 

@ebutz27 Thanks for the continued dialogue and thoughtful responses! To answer your questions... 

1. No, I have not yet read Food Freedom Forever, though I do own it! It sounds like you would recommend that I actually do that? 

2. I don't typically revert immediately back to poor eating habits. And I have been improving over time. For example, my latest Whole30 started in November and I continued eating well for about three months. And then I had Girl Scout cookies and went completely off the rails. And then, I've been having this mentality that I'll start another round of Whole30 "next week" and so I fully indulge in all the things I love but then that's been going on for months now.... 

3. I like the idea of setting mini resets around my food freedom choices. Maybe I need a rule for myself that if I make an unplanned, but conscientious choice to eat something totally off plan, I should follow it with a mini reset. If I have a planned choice, I should do one both before and after... 

I'll check out Food Freedom Forever and see what other strategies I can come up with. 

2 hours ago, kirbz said:

@ebutz27 Thanks for the continued dialogue and thoughtful responses! To answer your questions... 

1. No, I have not yet read Food Freedom Forever, though I do own it! It sounds like you would recommend that I actually do that? 

2. I don't typically revert immediately back to poor eating habits. And I have been improving over time. For example, my latest Whole30 started in November and I continued eating well for about three months. And then I had Girl Scout cookies and went completely off the rails. And then, I've been having this mentality that I'll start another round of Whole30 "next week" and so I fully indulge in all the things I love but then that's been going on for months now.... 

3. I like the idea of setting mini resets around my food freedom choices. Maybe I need a rule for myself that if I make an unplanned, but conscientious choice to eat something totally off plan, I should follow it with a mini reset. If I have a planned choice, I should do one both before and after... 

I'll check out Food Freedom Forever and see what other strategies I can come up with. 

I think reading or listening (or both - in my case ;) might really help you!  In the book, Melissa discusses the idea of food freedom being a life long process.  Ideally you enjoy your FF for longer and longer periods and use the reset - full Whole30s or mini resets - to bring you back into what feels good to your body.  She discusses the definition of worth it and how to know when things are truly worth it and what to do going forward.  So much great information that sounds like you're ready for :). Keep us posted!

3 hours ago, kirbz said:

Yes! I really, really recommend that you always, always, always read your labels! It takes just a moment once you're more familiar with the types of ingredients you'll be seeing and it's oh-so powerful to know what you're putting in your body. Because really, it's ridiculous the garbage they put in our food. 

And don't take anything for granted. I've seen specific products compliant sometimes and not compliant at other times (why do companies make more than one version of a single product?). I've also had an experience where I received an official Whole30 email with a link to "Melissa's Whole30 Favorites" and one of the items was not compliant (that was a fun surprise halfway through my first Whole30). 

So yeah, always read your labels! It's worth the few seconds to know what you're putting in your one and only body! 

Well my husband or my kiddo is getting the cashews and I'm adding a day. What a bummer!! I'm so glad I checked!

Day 4 for me...and the fact that I am a "grazer" is very much apparent! This morning and at lunch I fueled up better, and I could definitely tell the difference between yesterday's snack cravings (hunger from not having enough bulk in each meal) and today's snack cravings (hormones and work methods). I realized that at work, I often snack not because I'm hungry, but because my mind is bored, I'm stalling on an email/task I don't want to do, or my hands need something to keep busy. It's strange how the mind/body work!

Tomorrow is the weekly summer cookout at my workplace, which I always look forward to! I already planned ahead to bring portabella mushroom caps and guacamole to accompany my "hamburger no bun this week" order, not to mention some sweet potato & kale hash and cucumber water to replace the rest of the combo meal! 

Keep up the great work everyone!

On 7/8/2019 at 3:19 PM, Laura of The Great White North said:

Midday day 1 update: So far so good for me. I was dismayed to learn this morning that the rotisserie chicken that I bought and was counting on to ease my  meal prep stress has sugar in it. But then I saw that Walmart has compliant frozen meals so that made me very happy! I enjoy cooking so I don't plan to rely solely on convenience options but it was a lifesaver today! I've discovered I like RX Almond Butter better than regular peanut butter and I may end up skipping my morning coffee altogether. I have both Nutpods and Better Half creamer options at home but they just don't do it for me. Maybe I will feel differently in a few days. Have a great day everyone!

What frozen meals at Walmart have you found that are Whole30 compliant? Plan to get back into the kitchen, but would like to have mela in case of last minute needs. 

On 7/7/2019 at 10:46 PM, Jihanna said:

I definitely agree with what Shannon said above :) 

Part of the beauty of Whole30 is that just about everyone can work with what they've got. Sure, you'll find things that you think might make it all a bit easier for you, and that's great... but there's no need at all to jump in and outfit a kitchen with a bunch of new gadgets and appliances just for the sake of having them, "just in case". With the cooking appliances, too, most recipes that are written to use one can be adapted to use a different one instead. There are plenty of times when I'll find a recipe that calls for cooking meat in the oven (or on the stove) and I just adapt it for the pressure cooker so I can keep the flavor profile but use a method that's easier for me.

For cooking, most of what I make uses your run of the mill skillets, pots, roasting pans, and baking sheets... and my electric pressure cooker is used at least a few times every week ("boiled" eggs and homemade broth, if nothing else).

In terms of gadgets, I'd say the ones I use most are:
-- stick/immersion blender for things like mayo, creamy cauli-sauce, creamy soups made from chunky veggies, etc.
-- bullet-type blender for quick and easy blending of dressings and some herb blends, or for lazy scrambling of eggs
-- spiralizer because daikon radish noodles are amazing in Asian-inspired dishes and we love basically any veggie noodle
-- food processor to rice fresh cauliflower, shred veggies to go in meatloaf or salads, and so on
-- food storage containers (I've got a set of prep boxes that make it easy to see how much I'm putting aside for leftover meals)

I have an inexpensive little meat thermometer that I rarely use but am glad to have at hand when it's needed. The very next gadget I'll buy for the kitchen is a julienne peeler, because it'll give me straighter noodles than what comes off the spiralizer. I have a mandolin slicer that hardly ever sees any use because I honestly hate washing that thing (always scared I'll cut myself).

Regarding the blending of mayo...
NomNomPaleo has a pretty neat mayo recipe that calls for a whisk and elbow grease, for anyone who doesn't have a workable blender or immersion blender. I haven't tried it myself, but everything I've gotten from there has worked well for me, so I'm assuming this would also.

Is there a particular spiralizer you recommend (or avoid)? I have always wanted one! May wait to get, but would love to get experienced input! 

10 hours ago, masonjar87 said:

Day 4 for me...and the fact that I am a "grazer" is very much apparent! This morning and at lunch I fueled up better, and I could definitely tell the difference between yesterday's snack cravings (hunger from not having enough bulk in each meal) and today's snack cravings (hormones and work methods). I realized that at work, I often snack not because I'm hungry, but because my mind is bored, I'm stalling on an email/task I don't want to do, or my hands need something to keep busy. It's strange how the mind/body work!

Tomorrow is the weekly summer cookout at my workplace, which I always look forward to! I already planned ahead to bring portabella mushroom caps and guacamole to accompany my "hamburger no bun this week" order, not to mention some sweet potato & kale hash and cucumber water to replace the rest of the combo meal! 

Keep up the great work everyone!

I love your reflection on your "fuel levels" and hunger vs. cravings!  Sounds like you have a solid plan for your work cookout.  You are doing great!

Day one- done.  Today, July 10 is day 2 for me.  I hope to be a part of this group, being in about the same place as everyone.  Day 1 was ok.  I even got past my family getting dessert last night.  Day 2 is shaping up nicely.  I am so glad to have a community to be a part of since I am the only one in my family eating whole30.  Thanks everyone.  I have read your posts and they are super helpful.  We can do this! 

Hey All!

I just started my Whole30 yesterday.  I hope you don't mind if I join you all on this thread.  I've completed 4 Whole30's in the past and an active/supportive Forum group has been really helpful to keep me accountable and focused on my goals.

I did my last Whole30 in January and pretty quickly returned to poor eating habits.  I just got back from a lot of travel and determined that a mid-year Whole30 reset would be the perfect thing to get me back on track.

With every Whole30 I've completed I dramatically improved my health.  Each time I learned an enormous amount about how food effects my physical, mental and emotional health.  I'm not gonna lie, the first one I was REALLY focused on weight loss.  No, I didn't break the rules, but I still just couldn't wait to step on that scale at the end.  I was really proud of that first Whole30 but I kinda let how much weight I lost define my success...it stole a bit of the joy.  In more recent rounds I've really tried to focus on the NSVs and I've been SO much happier for it.  I've found if I'm doing the other stuff the weight loss will come and I'm less likely to define my worth by the number on a scale.

I'm so excited to take on this journey again and I'm mentally preparing for the challenges (known and unknown) that a Summer Whole30 will bring.  

Awesome job those of you that are a day or two ahead.  Keep it up!

Sarah

Archived