Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

@Darcy18 I have the Paderno World Cuisine 6-Blade Vegetable Slicer (which I purchased on Amazon) and I really love it! I use it often and am amazed at how easy it is to use and clean up. I received it as a gift from my parents and probably waited six months to use it because I was a bit intimidated and it seemed complicated. But it's not at all and that was totally dumb! It literally takes just a few minutes to prepare my veggies and clean up using my spiralizer!I highly recommend you get one if you are able! 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 went pretty well. I feel like I ate too many calories, considering that I would like to lose a few pounds while doing this, but I followed the rules at least.

I'm on Day 3. Today is challenging at work--Dunkin Donuts in the kitchen this morning, our lunch meeting was catered, and there will be birthday cake at my 4:00 meeting. I was easily able to say no to the donuts, and to the lunch because I brought a chorizo and sweet potato hash, but the cake will be more difficult to resist. I also need to go a pub this evening to pick up my bib for a 5K tomorrow. I feel a little guilty for having a smoothie for breakfast even though it was all allowed, but I like to have some variety in my meals, so I didn't want what I'd had the last two days.

I know I'm only on Day 3, but I'm still trying to get a good balance of protein, fat, and carbs with each meal. I'm trying to follow what my FitBit suggests: 45-65% carb, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat. 

One reservation I have with Whole 30 is that I don't like to eat this much meat. Although I do eat all meat types except for beef, I don't really relish the idea of incorporating more meat into my diet. I'll plan to make a fish recipe next. 

One positive about today: I DON'T HAVE TO COOK. Yay, leftovers.

So day 3 and last night I cried before bed and felt sick and moody. I re-read parts of the book and it was helpful. My brain was telling me to quit that I’m not worth it but I did not. I get up in the middle of the night often in pain and usually would eat sugar, last night I had some nuts instead. Is that really bad? I don’t think I was hungry I think it was a craving. Advice on a better way to deal with it? I am being really honest on this because I really want to succeed. 

@KaraS Oh wow, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough go of it! You most certainly are worth this though and you CAN do this! You have amazing goals (those grandkids are going to have an incredible, active grandmother for many years to come) and I do sincerely hope this helps you overcome some of the inflammation and pain you've been experiencing. How awful to be hit by a drunk driver just after you were starting to feel better.

Perhaps it would be helpful to share a bit about what you've been eating? Sometimes it's really hard to figure out what you should be eating and to get your portions right at first so perhaps we (or the moderators) can at least make sure you're on the best track there to set you up for success! One thing I do when I first start Whole30 is to eat really generous portions. I DO NOT want to be hungry on top of all of the other challenges! I've also seen moderators suggest that you'll feel best if you eat at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables every day! And I can definitely attest to that! 

Another recommendation is to look for new rituals. We really do have so many food rituals that we probably don't even realize we have! Feel sad > eat food. Feel bored > eat good. Get together with friends > eat food. So, find some other rituals. Find things you can do for me when you normally would have reached for food. Perhaps a good book or a nature walk or some snuggles with the family dog. Perhaps you want to learn a new hobby or paint your nails! It does help to have those things identified in advance so, when you're faced with a situation when you would normally reach for food, you have something else fulfilling to do!

Anyway, I'm sorry for your struggles and I wish you the very best! 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, kristilarson said:

I'm trying to follow what my FitBit suggests: 45-65% carb, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat. 

This is why whole30 recommends not counting calories or macros:   https://whole30.com/2013/02/you-count-more-than-your-calories-do/

Instead we encourage you to follow the meal template at every meal. If you do, you'll be eating lots of vegetables along with adequate amounts of protein and healthy fats. You can download the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

@kristilarson I do think you might miss out on something beneficial if you are overly focused on macros. There's a reason this program doesn't focus on them. You should be learning rely on what your body is telling you feels good and not what a formula or app is telling you. This is meant to be an experiment! That's what I love so much about this program. So, go forth and experiment!

Play around with portion sizes based on the meal template and see how you feel in terms of satiety, energy, mood, sleep, etc. And then adjust accordingly. And then adjust some more because it might not always  be the same! Once your hormones and everything are stabilized, your body should give you very clear signals as to what is or is not working for you.

There are some very black and white rules, but the rest is figuring out what works for you. So don't be afraid to be a little playful and try new things and find something that will be great for you, for the short and long term! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@kristilarson I agree with letting the counting apps go for now.  I know this is very difficult to do and possibly even scary.  Prior to Whole30, I relied daily on either counting "points" or logging my meals in MyFitnessPal.  It was hard to give up and trust that I could learn to listen to my body.  The truth is: there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to nutrition.  We all have different needs and they change depending on the state of our health and age.  

I encourage you to focus solely on the meal template and making sure you stay compliant for your 30 days.  That is more than enough to think about for now!  I know that most people want to lose some weight in this process, but that is not the focus here.  What good is it to lose a few pounds if you have not learned anything about your habits or relationship with food?  By focusing on how your body feels when you eat a certain way and learning to view food solely as fuel that helps you to live a better life (or not), you will be empowered to make choices that work for you.  You will become healthier, happier, and more confident.  The "icing on the cake", so to speak, is that a healthier body tends to drop excess weight.  If that doesn't happen, I have found that there is still some healing to be done, or there are unrealistic expectations.  Either way, these are things to look at down the road.  

For now, follow the template to the best of your ability.  It includes everything you need to set you up for a successful reset.  I am so excited for what you will learn on your journey!  You can do it!

2 hours ago, KaraS said:

So day 3 and last night I cried before bed and felt sick and moody. I re-read parts of the book and it was helpful. My brain was telling me to quit that I’m not worth it but I did not. I get up in the middle of the night often in pain and usually would eat sugar, last night I had some nuts instead. Is that really bad? I don’t think I was hungry I think it was a craving. Advice on a better way to deal with it? I am being really honest on this because I really want to succeed. 

One of the big reasons I am taking on this journey is to change my relationship with food. It has been my drug for my entire life. I was also reflecting on my tendency to self sabotage when I try to make a change in my lifestyle. I discovered that there's a part of me that feels unworthy of being healthy because I'm fat. Somehow I've allowed myself to believe that I'm doomed to remain unhealthy because of the unhealthy choices I've made thus far. But I see now that I am the most worthy of love and self care and healthy habits. You are too!! And the fact that you recognize that you were eating out of habit/craving last night rather than hunger is a HUGE non scale victory that you should celebrate. Plus you didn't eat sugar, you found a healthier option. Next time you'll be able to recognize your motivation for eating and you can make a different choice-or not if you're truly hungry. You're doing great!!

3 hours ago, kristilarson said:

Day 2 went pretty well. I feel like I ate too many calories, considering that I would like to lose a few pounds while doing this, but I followed the rules at least.

I'm on Day 3. Today is challenging at work--Dunkin Donuts in the kitchen this morning, our lunch meeting was catered, and there will be birthday cake at my 4:00 meeting. I was easily able to say no to the donuts, and to the lunch because I brought a chorizo and sweet potato hash, but the cake will be more difficult to resist. I also need to go a pub this evening to pick up my bib for a 5K tomorrow. I feel a little guilty for having a smoothie for breakfast even though it was all allowed, but I like to have some variety in my meals, so I didn't want what I'd had the last two days.

I know I'm only on Day 3, but I'm still trying to get a good balance of protein, fat, and carbs with each meal. I'm trying to follow what my FitBit suggests: 45-65% carb, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat. 

One reservation I have with Whole 30 is that I don't like to eat this much meat. Although I do eat all meat types except for beef, I don't really relish the idea of incorporating more meat into my diet. I'll plan to make a fish recipe next. 

One positive about today: I DON'T HAVE TO COOK. Yay, leftovers.

As long as you are following the meal template you should be getting enough food.  Meal template for reference: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  Many people are shy about adding so much fat to their plates after years of being told fat is bad, but it will help you stay full, feel satiated, and begin regulating your hormones.  It is difficult to overeat on Whole30 unless you are eating an abundance of nuts/nut butters, etc.  Real, nutrient dense foods are hard to over do, but even if you do one day and listen to your body, it will all even itself out.  

4 hours ago, Laura of The Great White North said:

One of the big reasons I am taking on this journey is to change my relationship with food. It has been my drug for my entire life. I was also reflecting on my tendency to self sabotage when I try to make a change in my lifestyle. I discovered that there's a part of me that feels unworthy of being healthy because I'm fat. Somehow I've allowed myself to believe that I'm doomed to remain unhealthy because of the unhealthy choices I've made thus far. But I see now that I am the most worthy of love and self care and healthy habits. You are too!! And the fact that you recognize that you were eating out of habit/craving last night rather than hunger is a HUGE non scale victory that you should celebrate. Plus you didn't eat sugar, you found a healthier option. Next time you'll be able to recognize your motivation for eating and you can make a different choice-or not if you're truly hungry. You're doing great!!

Thank you Laura of the Great White North. I am glad we are on this journey together! 

6 hours ago, kirbz said:

Perhaps it would be helpful to share a bit about what you've been eating? Sometimes it's really hard to figure out what you should be eating and to get your portions right at first so perhaps we (or the moderators) can at least make sure you're on the best track there to set you up for success! One thing I do when I first start Whole30 is to eat really generous portions. I DO NOT want to be hungry on top of all of the other challenges! I've also seen moderators suggest that you'll feel best if you eat at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables every day! And I can definitely attest to that! 

Another recommendation is to look for new rituals.

Thank you for the support! I am following a meal plan I found on RealSimpleGood website. It was developed whole 30 specific. However I have only been eating half of the servings. I used to eat 1 meal a day and graze, so I tend to feel full quickly but then hungry again soon after. I wonder if I should try to force myself to eat more during the meals. Yesterday I ate chorizo hash with egg and avocado for breakfast (Yum!), lunch was leftover beef roast and veggies, dinner was pizza stuffed sweet potatoes. I am also experimenting with ways to reheat, because it seems that the microwave really ruins left overs, specifically the mushroom spinach and bacon egg muffin that my husband made.

I am really seeing that I have terrible reasons for eating or not eating. I am so busy with kids and medical appointments that I have been eating my meals later I should. I like the new rituals idea. Yesterday we went for bike ride, I live in a beautiful area, I would like to make that a new ritual with the kids. (I also typed this reply earlier and it seemed to disappear so I am not sure what happened but if it pops up 2x, sorry. 

Ok you guys, tonight was tough. I have a new foster dog and I came home from work to a whole bunch of things chewed up (including a new pair of expensive shoes) and pee and poop on my bed...yep, on my bed.  Needless to say all I wanted to do was order takeout and pour a drink.  BUT, I did neither.  I stayed strong and make steak, sautéed squash and pan-roasted potatoes instead.  

It was REALLY hard to resist going to food for comfort when I was stressed and tired and frustrated but I did it!  

Now to figure out how I can help my foster not be so anxious and not ruin my stuff, lol.

@Sarah_MT that is a HUGE NSV!  You should be proud of that choice!  What can you do to relieve the stress other than turn to comfort food?  I have found that having alternate stress-relievers in my back pocket makes it easier to combat old habits.

NSV I woke up last night in pain again, this is where I always grab a bite of sugar. Last night I stayed up stairs did not come to the the kitchen(I think that helped) I told myself it’s habit and it m not really hungry. Just went back to bed. Sounds simple but it is a big deal for me. 

2 hours ago, coachmandiep said:

I have found that having alternate stress-relievers in my back pocket makes it easier to combat old habits.

can you share some of your stress-relievers? Is it literally in you back pocket like a stress ball or something else? 

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, KaraS said:

NSV I woke up last night in pain again, this is where I always grab a bite of sugar. Last night I stayed up stairs did not come to the the kitchen(I think that helped) I told myself it’s habit and it m not really hungry. Just went back to bed. Sounds simple but it is a big deal for me. 

Good job!

As far as stress relievers, different things work for different people, so hopefully you'll get lots of suggestions and can find what works for you. For me, I color or draw or do craft things. Sometimes journaling what I'm feeling and thinking about can be helpful. If I can't sleep, especially if it's because I have achy muscles or can't get comfortable, sometimes I take a hot bath to help me relax.

I am on Day 3 and also feeling like I ate too many calories, even though what I have eaten is all compliant.  It is so hard to overcome the habit of eating for reasons other than hunger.  At moments, I feel like I am backed up to a wall.  I am hoping that once I overcome the sugar and empty carb cravings, I can begin to reign in the portions.  I am sorry for the negative share- I just need to vent and hopefully move on.  Thanks!  

35 minutes ago, Kris22 said:

I am on Day 3 and also feeling like I ate too many calories, even though what I have eaten is all compliant.  It is so hard to overcome the habit of eating for reasons other than hunger.  At moments, I feel like I am backed up to a wall.  I am hoping that once I overcome the sugar and empty carb cravings, I can begin to reign in the portions.  I am sorry for the negative share- I just need to vent and hopefully move on.  Thanks!  

Kris22 I have been running into so many people who are telling me there experience with whole30, which is really cool in itself. They are all saying that the first hump is hard but short lived.  We should both be proud that we have been compliant. Side note is that most of them did not do reintroduction and then fell off. So I am planning this to be at least a 40 day challenge. Even though that means I have to stay compliant through my vows renewal ceremony August 11th.

Also, I have been using the tip in the book to determine if it’s hunger or a craving and it’s really helping me. Am I hungry enough to eat baked fish and broccoli? 

You got this!

1 hour ago, Kris22 said:

You are in the thick of the yuck that is the sugar/carb withdrawals and exhausting days.  Make sure you are drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, and following the meal template.  It is very difficult to over eat on Whole30 if you are following the meal template.  After years of being told fat is bad, it may feel as though you are overeating sometimes.  Eating fat helps you feel satiated, keeps cravings at bay, and helps regulate your hormones.  Hang in there... things will begin to change in the next few days. :)

Hey everyone! Almost the end of Day 4 here. I know the book says that as long as you're following the rules there's no wrong way to do this...... but I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I have not felt bad or crabby or over tired and the few small cravings that I've had have been fleeting. I know the book says I should celebrate if I'm not experiencing the not so great side effects but does this mean that all the bad stuff will happen next week? I don't want to spend this entire month waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. 

@Laura of The Great White North I never experienced anything on the timeline either, and I come from a background of truly awful eating habits. My body just isn't super sensitive to foods. Which was nice for me when everyone else was feeling hungover or achy or angry. But it did also mean that my NSVs were more subtle. 

So, maybe you're just a person like me who doesn't have strong reactions to food...

@Laura of The Great White North I’m with you and @kirbz my symptoms the first few days are more subtle (I’ve also found during reintroduction that I don’t have strong interactions to any particular food group but I do when I start mixing them together or having things several days in a row).

The biggest things I’ve noticed today was some fatigue, mood swings and variable energy. 

@KaraS great job fighting cravings and getting better in touch with your body.  I hope the pain recedes and you’re sleeping through the night soon!  I know that’s one of my FAVORITE Whole30 NSVs...awesome sleep!

@Kris22 I’m just gonna echo what others said, hang in there and give yourself some grace!  You’re taking big steps to improve your health and changing a lot!! Just keep it compliant, add enough healthy fats, and it will all start to feel more normal.  You’ll be able to start fine tuning serving sizes once you’ve gained confidence eating compliant meals.  And don’t feel sorry for a ‘negative share’.  That’s what I love about these forums we can be real and honest about what we’re dealing with and feel understood and supported!

Great job making it through another day everyone!!

Whoo buddy, I seem to be on the timeline right now! I'm on Day 7, and last night I got home from work around 6pm...went straight to bed and slept til 11pm. Woke up but was still waaaay out of it...I dragged myself to the kitchen to put stuff in the instant pot so I'd have lunch the next day and promptly went back to bed. Woke up at 7:30am and could have gone straight back to bed if I didn't have to work!! 

The timeline says that my body is learning to use fat and protein as energy rather than the quick burning stuff I used to fuel with. Just gotta keep sticking it out! 

2 hours ago, masonjar87 said:

Whoo buddy, I seem to be on the timeline right now! I'm on Day 7, and last night I got home from work around 6pm...went straight to bed and slept til 11pm. Woke up but was still waaaay out of it...I dragged myself to the kitchen to put stuff in the instant pot so I'd have lunch the next day and promptly went back to bed. Woke up at 7:30am and could have gone straight back to bed if I didn't have to work!! 

The timeline says that my body is learning to use fat and protein as energy rather than the quick burning stuff I used to fuel with. Just gotta keep sticking it out! 

You're exactly where you're meant to be... great job hanging in there!  :)

Archived