Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

• Whole30 Certified Coach
20 hours ago, KaraS said:

Day 16. Husband has gone from little help to no help. He is stepping in the scale and hating the food and lost a ton of weight. I am not doing this for him it’s 100% for me. So I did all the shopping and cooking by myself with 3 kids and birthday parties this weekend. I think he will come around but I wish I had more help now. The update on medical doctors and candida is that they can’t help me and told me they go see a natural path Dr. Which of course is not covered by insurance. Dr’s break my heart. They could not or would not even recommend anything. As if an overgrowth of yeast is an imaginary thing. Even though it was shown on a blood test. I have wanted to quit but I won’t. This has been hard and painful but I know it is because of how unhealthy I am on the inside. I am even considering extending my whole30 just to really give my system a reset. I don’t think I can get rid of a year of candida in 30 days. I am still having sugar cravings and have kept eating at least 4 Rx bars per week last week. I know it’s not healthy but it was the complaint option I had available during these parties (3 this weekend) 

ice cream social 

chilli cookoff/ baked good events 

birthday party. 

I hope you guys are enjoying tigers blood, I’m not there yet. 

Hang in there, and be proud of how far you've come already. It is hard without the support of a spouse (my husband was the same way) but like you said, you are doing this 100% for you- remember that! We are here to help lift you up and support you, so please keep coming to the forum to share :)

It is common for people to extend out their Whole30 for an additional period of time to help kick some of those cravings. I would just encourage you to PLEASE make sure that you do a complete reintroduction once you're done so you can learn which foods effect you differently.

Keep up the great work, and track all of those non-scale victories that you've experienced thus far (ex- staying compliant during all of those parties is a HUGE one)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ashleypaeik! I have been looking through the whole30 logs trying to find motivation and I am just seeing a lot of people that did not make it through the 30 days. Then the posts on this thread have died down. I’m here day 17 and yesterday was hard emotionally as I posted but I stayed compliant. My body is not adjusting well, my mi d is fighting it too. The sugar cravings are less though and I haven’t reached for a snack bar yesterday or today at 8 am, lol. I have prepared carrots and compliant ranch sauce for emergencies. People have said my face looks better and I can notice that too. My energy is not here and I am still forcing my meals down. My back still hurts but I have also noticed it’s not waking me up at night, so I don’t have to fight that snack urge. The NSV are there if I look for them. What I wouldn’t give for a day of good energy. But hey that’s what coffee is for. 

Tomorrow maybe I will list out all NSVs. To keep my motivation up. 

When my sugar dragon calls I have been eating 1 fresh cherry. I know its not ideal but it’s going better and less often. 

Hi KaraS.  I have been reading your posts and I am reassured that some of us is doing this without family support.  It can be difficult on your own.  I am on Day 15 and my sugar cravings have gone down too but are still there.  My compliant snacks for those moments are Tazo apple-cinnamon tea, snap peas, carrots or peppers.  Since starting it is amazing how much more I can taste the sweetness in foods like those I listed and others too.  I am hoping to eventually wean off of snacks but for now have accepted these veggies that are sweet as a good option for satisfying sweet craving.  Hope your day is going well.  We are all in it together!  

You can do it, @KaraS! Since my flub with the pretzels last week, I'm thinking I'll be going beyond 30 days too (since I'm technically starting over). So I'll be here to stick it out with you! 

I'm one to reach for the snap peas too...crunchy and satisfying :D But I'm also snacking less, which is good. I do miss my rice and soy sauce, though! 

Hi everyone! We're officially half way through this! Day 17 for me. This has been far from how I thought this was going to go. I hardly ever get sick even when my husband and kids bring things home. But whatever this bug is that I have it's made me feel pretty crummy. I finally broke down and had some cough drops. At least they helped me sleep. I kind of have an appetite today too but not a big one. I'm making some soup right now so I hope it hits the spot. I'm not really craving any foods, but I'm pouting a lot more about foods I can't have. I saw someone eating Cheetos today and I legit wanted to have a little temper tantrum. I know it's been a rough go for some of us but we'll stick it out. I know we can do this!!

I have definitely wanted to have a temper tantrum a few times!  Also, I have had some recent non-food related stress over a family member and it has been difficult to not use food as a crutch which was my default comfort strategy.  I overate last night- all compliant food but nevertheless did not feel great after so I still need to conquer that bad habit.  I have been meditating which is great but I am having a really hard time with my family right now.  I hope we can resolve our issue soon.  Thanks for listening. 

1 hour ago, Kris22 said:

I have definitely wanted to have a temper tantrum a few times!  Also, I have had some recent non-food related stress over a family member and it has been difficult to not use food as a crutch which was my default comfort strategy.  I overate last night- all compliant food but nevertheless did not feel great after so I still need to conquer that bad habit.  I have been meditating which is great but I am having a really hard time with my family right now.  I hope we can resolve our issue soon.  Thanks for listening. 

Meditating is a great way to center in and focus on being still for awhile. Don't beat yourself up about over-eating. Food habits are difficult to break, so focus on the fact that you stayed compliant and celebrate that non-scale victory. I understand the stresses of family issues- we've all been there, so please know you are not alone. Hang in there, and please continue to use this space as a place to share your thoughts and feelings. I'm here for you :)

22 hours ago, KaraS said:

Thanks Ashleypaeik! I have been looking through the whole30 logs trying to find motivation and I am just seeing a lot of people that did not make it through the 30 days. Then the posts on this thread have died down. I’m here day 17 and yesterday was hard emotionally as I posted but I stayed compliant. My body is not adjusting well, my mi d is fighting it too. The sugar cravings are less though and I haven’t reached for a snack bar yesterday or today at 8 am, lol. I have prepared carrots and compliant ranch sauce for emergencies. People have said my face looks better and I can notice that too. My energy is not here and I am still forcing my meals down. My back still hurts but I have also noticed it’s not waking me up at night, so I don’t have to fight that snack urge. The NSV are there if I look for them. What I wouldn’t give for a day of good energy. But hey that’s what coffee is for. 

Tomorrow maybe I will list out all NSVs. To keep my motivation up. 

When my sugar dragon calls I have been eating 1 fresh cherry. I know its not ideal but it’s going better and less often. 

Hi Kara! 

Day 17!! You are over halfway there! That right there is a HUGE NSV! Also, the fact the fact that you hadn't reached for a snack bar yesterday and the day before are also big NSV's. Sugar cravings were definitely the hardest for me to kick, so I totally feel you there. I am absolutely a recovering sugar addict, so I still have to be careful with what I eat in order to keep my sugar dragon tamed! Having veggie snacks on hand are great- so there's another NSV- being prepared :)

I would strongly suggest writing out all of your NSV's. I really think it will help keep you motivated. Focus on what IS working for you, and that will make it easier.

Hang in there! I am here for you!

Hey All!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while!  Things have been busy but I'm 100% still on it and still compliant!  It's my Day 17 and I actually had to count that up early today cause I'd lost track!  I'm noticing that this Whole 30 round (It's my 5th) has been a lot easier.  I've been able to quickly recognize cravings, process it, find an alternative, and move on.  It's not taking near the conscious effort to resist temptations as it has in the past.  I guess I'm trying to say, it get's easier!  And it's really resonating with some things Melissa says in the Food Freedom Forever book.

Now all that being said, I ABSOLUTELY get where you are all at cause I've been there before.   @Laura of The Great White North, @KaraS, @Kris22, @masonjar87 I've noticed a theme in what you are all going through at this point.  Because it's happened to me MANY times in the past.  I've recognized it as my brain making a crazy-strong last-ditch effort to get me back to quick sugar & carbs.  You're dreaming about non-compliant foods and the dream-guilt you feel eating them.  Numerous times I've dreamed of eating pizza (my kryptonite) and woken up in panic that I'd broken my Whole 30.  I've also experienced the lack of appetite...nothing sounds good.  It's like my brain is a pouting kid that doesn't want to do anything if it can't get what it wants.  ANY off plan food sounds better than the healthy food you've got prepared.  All I can say is STAY STRONG!  Your brain will eventually give up, you'll enjoy all your food again, and you'll feel incredible.  You are all making amazing changes to your eating and your lives.  It's hard.  But there are really good reasons why you are doing this.  When things get tough count your NSV's, drink some water, distract yourself (my favorite is putting on some 90's hip hop/R&B and dancing like a fool in my kitchen), whatever it takes to keep going.

Keep up the awesome!

Sarah

On 7/10/2019 at 11:09 AM, Sarah_MT said:

Hey All!

I just started my Whole30 yesterday.  I hope you don't mind if I join you all on this thread.  I've completed 4 Whole30's in the past and an active/supportive Forum group has been really helpful to keep me accountable and focused on my goals.

I did my last Whole30 in January and pretty quickly returned to poor eating habits.  I just got back from a lot of travel and determined that a mid-year Whole30 reset would be the perfect thing to get me back on track.

With every Whole30 I've completed I dramatically improved my health.  Each time I learned an enormous amount about how food effects my physical, mental and emotional health.  I'm not gonna lie, the first one I was REALLY focused on weight loss.  No, I didn't break the rules, but I still just couldn't wait to step on that scale at the end.  I was really proud of that first Whole30 but I kinda let how much weight I lost define my success...it stole a bit of the joy.  In more recent rounds I've really tried to focus on the NSVs and I've been SO much happier for it.  I've found if I'm doing the other stuff the weight loss will come and I'm less likely to define my worth by the number on a scale.

I'm so excited to take on this journey again and I'm mentally preparing for the challenges (known and unknown) that a Summer Whole30 will bring.  

Awesome job those of you that are a day or two ahead.  Keep it up!

Sarah

Hi Sarah!

We're so glad to have you here! I definitely can relate to focusing on weight loss, as that's exactly how I was when I completed my first Whole30 as well. I am so happy to hear that you've been focusing on the NSV's and that you've found the joy in doing so. Looking forward to following your journey!

Hi. End of day 20 for me.  Today has been the most difficult so far.  I have come closer to quitting than I have been any other day.  Just feeling so restricted and meal prepping is so time consuming.  It would be so easy to go out and just order a meal and not care what the ingredients are!  I didn't do it but that was how I was feeling today.  I am surprised because I thought that it would be getting easier rather than harder by now.  Just 10 days left.  I hope I can find a way to complete the 30 days!  I know I should be celebrating the NSVs and that I've stuck to it for 20 days.  Hopefully a good night sleep will help me be in a better frame of mind tomorrow.  I am starting to think about what the re-introduction will be like also.  Need to read up on the best way to do that. Thanks for listening! 

Good morning on Day 22! Is anyone considering extending their Whole30? I feel like being sick for a little more than a week of these 30 days has altered what my experience could have been. I'm also a bit afraid because I feel like this has been too easy and I wonder if I should go longer to allow more time to face various triggers that I don't feel like I've really faced yet, such as a stress or bad mood driven decision to eat poorly. I hope everyone has a great day today!

13 hours ago, Kris22 said:

Hi. End of day 20 for me.  Today has been the most difficult so far.  I have come closer to quitting than I have been any other day.  Just feeling so restricted and meal prepping is so time consuming.  It would be so easy to go out and just order a meal and not care what the ingredients are!  I didn't do it but that was how I was feeling today.  I am surprised because I thought that it would be getting easier rather than harder by now.  Just 10 days left.  I hope I can find a way to complete the 30 days!  I know I should be celebrating the NSVs and that I've stuck to it for 20 days.  Hopefully a good night sleep will help me be in a better frame of mind tomorrow.  I am starting to think about what the re-introduction will be like also.  Need to read up on the best way to do that. Thanks for listening! 

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! You will make it to Day 30- you have committed yourself to the 30 days! You're over 2/3 of the way done- don't sell yourself short.

Try switching up your meals- cook a new recipe that maybe you haven't tried before. Get creative in the kitchen; this might help you to feel less restricted. Are you close to a Chipotle? They have a Whole30 compliant dish that you can try if you are wanting to eat out. It's called the Whole30 Salad Bowl and it's made with their pork carnitas and it's absolutely delicious. Read more, and find out how to order it here: https://whole30.com/chipotle/

Keep tracking those NSV's. The fact that you've only got 10 days left is a HUGE one! Sleep should also help you feel better, so make sure you're getting plenty of rest.

Also, as you mentioned, now is the time to start preparing for your reintroduction, which is the most important part of completing a successful Whole30. Please let me know if you need some help with this- I am more than happy to help.

Hang in there- you're almost done! :)

15 hours ago, Kris22 said:

I HEAR YOU! I'm so sick of cooking and cleaning up the kitchen. I want a mindless meal! Day 19 (Friday) was the day I nearly quit. First of all, I broke a rule. I got on the scale. I texted a friend of mine (who has not done Whole30), expecting her to say, "Yes, I agree, you should quit," but she didn't tell me what I wanted to hear! So I kept at it. I even prepared a couple of really good and compliant meals this weekend. 

I'm feeling very isolated as a result of this program. I find that it's easier to stay cooped up in my apartment instead of trying to socialize. I didn't play in the company softball game on Friday, and I backed out of plans to go to the beach yesterday, for no good reason. I don't miss alcohol, but I miss being able to grab a drink with my friends after work. My body isn't craving the sugar, but I'd love to be able to grab an ice cream cone on a really hot summer day. Now, I shouldn't blame the diet entirely, as I'm also grieving and a little depressed, but the diet is not helping. Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of myself for doing this for 21 days already. I honestly wasn't sure I'd able to do this at all. This will be a HUGE victory for me, doing this for 30 days. 

Also, I know it'll be frowned upon, but I don't plan on doing the reintroduction, at least as it's written. I'm traveling for a family event Aug 9-12, and I don't want to have to concern myself with this the entire time. Maybe I'll still choose to be compliant for half of every day, or maybe I'll choose do some other form of diet when I return. I hope I can make better choices as a result of this, and maybe I'll revisit it someday, but right now, I just want it to end.

I'm really struggling right now. I don't want to eat any of the food I have. I am having such a strong urge to say Forget It, I've come this far so that should be good enough. I know it's my sugar dragon rearing its ugly head and I know this feeling is the reason I started this program in the first place. I cannot continue to use food as a means to numb uncomfortable feelings. I need to address the feelings and work through them or find a different way to cope. I know I can do this but it's really, really hard right now!

Day 25 here...I'm so sick of salad! LOL the salad I want is a coffee salad with half and half dressing and ice cube croutons!!! I did try to switch things up a bit and made some BBQ sauce and pork ribs. That's helped the food boredom a bit. The meal prepping is killing me though...I just can't get ahead of things, and I feel like the energy I've gained from eating clean is all used up by making FOOD! Ah well. Just a few more days to go..we can do it!

I am considering extending my w30 to a w60. My sugar cravings are strong sometimes but less often for sure. My body is still adjusting and I can feel it. I am trying to clean out a candida overgrowth and I do not believe 30 days is enough. What I want to know is should I do reintroduction and stay whole30 compliant but adding in what ever does not bother me? I won’t introduce sugar because candida. Or should I not do any reintroduction until after the w60? I am renewing my vows 10 Yrs in 2 weeks and I planned this to be done with reintroduction before. However my health is more important than cake and food (at least I feel that way now). I want so bad to have energy and less pain and I think I am starting to get there but more time will bring more success. Anyways advice is appreciated on how to extend and or to reintroduce or not to...

I am so proud of all of us! Wanting to quit is a temporary emotion. We just have to let it pass. Great job to all of us who got to day 20 and beyond. 

10 hours ago, KaraS said:

I am considering extending my w30 to a w60. My sugar cravings are strong sometimes but less often for sure. My body is still adjusting and I can feel it. I am trying to clean out a candida overgrowth and I do not believe 30 days is enough. What I want to know is should I do reintroduction and stay whole30 compliant but adding in what ever does not bother me? I won’t introduce sugar because candida. Or should I not do any reintroduction until after the w60? I am renewing my vows 10 Yrs in 2 weeks and I planned this to be done with reintroduction before. However my health is more important than cake and food (at least I feel that way now). I want so bad to have energy and less pain and I think I am starting to get there but more time will bring more success. Anyways advice is appreciated on how to extend and or to reintroduce or not to...

I am so proud of all of us! Wanting to quit is a temporary emotion. We just have to let it pass. Great job to all of us who got to day 20 and beyond. 

Hey Kara!  Just thought I'd share my experience extending a Whole30.  I extended my 3rd Whole30 to 45 days.  My main motivation was to cement my meal prep and healthy eating habits and really ensure the addictions to sugar/carbs were thoroughly broken.  I kept on for another 15 days with no reintroduction. I'm sure there are some Forum answer and I know I've seen a Blog post about it but if you're really looking to see improvement in a preexisting health condition I would advise against re-introduction then doing another 30days.  I'd wait to reintroduce when the full 60 is over.  However...your 10th Anniversary is a BIG deal.  You want to enjoy that event.  And ultimately we are all looking to enjoy Food Freedom and be able to have cake or a glass of champagne at an occasion like that but then get right back on it.  You could keep Whole30 until your Vow Renewal, enjoy it, but then get right on another 30 days and do the complete reintroduction after that.  That's a lot of will power and commitment though.  You need to think about what's best for you (and what will most benefit long term health and habits).  

Let us all know what you decide to do!  You've got my support either way.  

And great job on everything you've accomplished so far!!!

And and, I just found the blog post about extending your Whole 30...here you go!

https://whole30.com/2014/08/whole30-plus/

2 minutes ago, Laura of The Great White North said:

Day 24 here! It was with great effort I passed up Starbucks, McDonald's, Arby's, Hardee's, Subway, and Dairy Queen on my way home today. I just want a sandwich!! I don't know if these are all cravings that have been delayed because I was sick or if this is normal. 6 more days!!

Great Job Laura!  That is totally a win and an NSV I'd mark in my book!  At this stage of Whole 30's in the past I've definitely needed to mix things up.  What worked for me was finding one cool (possibly more involved meal) to make each week but then making everything else super simple (think sheet pan meals, or hashes, or instant pot/crock pot meals).  Things you can set & forget or even freeze extra servings of if you don't feel like having it 4 days in a row (there's an awesome WH30 meatball recipe that makes pretty much 8 servings - I always freeze half and have the other half with spaghetti squash or sweet potato 'buns").  Speaking of sweet potato buns have you tried to 'faux' up your sandwich?  You can make sliders with sweet potato slices you've roasted in the oven or make sweet potato toast.  I also love some lettuce wraps!  I use romaine or butter lettuce.  And I cool trick I saw from a blogger was to overlap several pieces on parchment paper, fill with your sandwich fixing, fold over the lettuce then roll up the parchment.  You can cut it in half and you've got easy-to-eat lettuce wraps that keep fairly well as a lunch on the go.  My favorite are to do BLTA's with sugar-free bacon, paleo mayo, tomatoes, and avocado slices...SOOOO good!

Keep fighting those cravings...it's totally worth it!

I'd love to hear some positive things you've noticed though.  Would you mind sharing some of your NSV's with all of us?  @kristilarson, @masonjar87, @Kris22 would you mind sharing some of your NSVs too?  I know when I'm bogged down it's really helped me to focus on all the things that have gotten better (there's always more than I realize when I start listing them out!)

On 7/22/2019 at 12:46 PM, KaraS said:

Day 16. Husband has gone from little help to no help. He is stepping in the scale and hating the food and lost a ton of weight. I am not doing this for him it’s 100% for me. So I did all the shopping and cooking by myself with 3 kids and birthday parties this weekend. I think he will come around but I wish I had more help now. The update on medical doctors and candida is that they can’t help me and told me they go see a natural path Dr. Which of course is not covered by insurance. Dr’s break my heart. They could not or would not even recommend anything. As if an overgrowth of yeast is an imaginary thing. Even though it was shown on a blood test. I have wanted to quit but I won’t. This has been hard and painful but I know it is because of how unhealthy I am on the inside. I am even considering extending my whole30 just to really give my system a reset. I don’t think I can get rid of a year of candida in 30 days. I am still having sugar cravings and have kept eating at least 4 Rx bars per week last week. I know it’s not healthy but it was the complaint option I had available during these parties (3 this weekend) 

ice cream social 

chilli cookoff/ baked good events 

birthday party. 

I hope you guys are enjoying tigers blood, I’m not there yet. 

I had candida and got rid of it with the help of a dr. Of integrative medicine. It too 3 months of STRICT no fruit of any kind as well as no sugar or sugary veggies like carrots and beets. I also took some supplements and have the guide my dr gave me; if you’d like it I can send via email, just let me know. It was HARD, much harder than Whole30, but it worked. 

[email protected]

Day 29 for me.  I haven't checked in in several days.  We went camping and I did not have internet, then my computer crashed but I am still hanging in there.  Doing whole30 while camping was hard but I think it made my resolve stronger against sugar and grain cravings.  I am really hoping to keep my better food choice habits beyond the 30 days.  Also, I would like to continue to adapt my food choice related thinking in the days to come.  I think I will be less willing to have sugar and grains and will consider more carefully what is worth eating.  Good luck to fellow whole30ers!  Thanks for listening. 

Day 31. WE DID IT!!! :-D To start my reintroduction, I decided I would try my regular coffee creamer this morning. It was not good. It was far too sweet and it was like drinking marshmallow fluff. That will be the only new thing today. I think I'm going to follow the fast track plan. Congratulations everyone!! This is a real accomplishment!!

Archived