Whole 30 (July 2)

Emma

• Whole30 Certified Coach
7 hours ago, Emma said:

Day EightFeeling Great. And bloated. I seem to feel very bloated almost every evening.

Hi Emma!  The bloating is normal at this phase of your reset as your gut flora are changing.  I find this to be especially true if you are eating large amounts of cruciferous veggies, (or a few servings a day), and you weren't before you started.  One option is to cut back on your serving size of these veggies, (especially cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and cabbage), and add more greens or other veggies until your gut adapts.  I find that even now, I have to watch my serving size and eat these veggies cooked, or I will have bloating.  Some people take digestive enzymes to help with this, but I recommend that my clients wait and play with serving size and food rotation in order to give your body a chance to adapt on its own.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Sometimes days get away from us and our meals aren't ideal.  The important thing is to stay compliant, so kudos for having what you needed on hand to do just that!  I like that you recognize the need to eat breakfast earlier.  I was in the habit of skipping breakfast before my Whole30, (I just wasn't hungry), and now it is my favorite meal of the day!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 You are doing great!  Have a healthy day :)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coachmandiep said:

You are doing great!  Have a healthy day :)

I am doing great. I'm here. I'm not flaking out. I'm trying. I appreciate your positive response because it's easy to get bogged down in all the unknowns and the challenges.  My serving sizes are a little huge. My gut isn't used to so much. I wonder if I have food sensitivities to some of the foods I've been eating. I was a bit surprised that the spinach last night caused so much bloating, though I did eat it raw.  But my gut is doing a pretty terrific job as well handling all the changes so gracefully, but I sure hope the bloated phase is short lived! 

Day Nine. Last night I felt a tickle in my throat and this morning I had major raspy voice (still do) and a touch of a cough. Maybe it's a cold. Maybe it's a food reaction. Maybe it's a cold that took advantage of a food reaction to weasel its way past my immune system sentries. Hopefully it's mild. I didn't go to bed till past midnight because my kid was awake and then the cat woke me at six. I was able to snooze a bit more till I had to go collect the dog from tree where she was barking at a squirrel. It's taken me a while to get officially UP this morning, but I'm here (and I already meditated!!!!!). Heh - As I meditated, I kept noticing people and locations and things in my head that were sneaking in from dreams - kind of like ghosts just sliding through the walls into my meditation. It was kinda funny.

Goals: Meditate (Done), Practice, Eat Whole30

For Whole30 today, I'm going to need to do some meal prepping or planning possibly. I'm going to aim to have appropriately timed meals and I'm going to try to be mindful of snacks and if they are needed.

20 hours ago, Emma said:

Hey - Hi! I think about that Melissa quote too which I think I picture as boiled fish and broccoli. Boiled. So gross. And I also am cheating and eating those technically acceptable bars when I'm not actually hungry or at risk of giving in to some craving.  So yeah, it's kind of a cheat. We can definitely work on this together!  I started just one post and then I just reply to it each day - generally twice a day because that keeps me focused. I tell ya, I need to put a lot of focus on this process to stay with this process and this forum seems to give me that. A private journal would too, but it's so much more fun to interact with others!!!

It is so much more fun interacting with others!  I found myself getting bored of writing in the Day by Day Guide, because it felt like I was just forcing myself to write something in the same format every day.. I appreciate the book though because it has daily tips and hacks, what's "normal" to feel physically/mentally during that period of the timeline, "extra credit" goals for the day, etc.  But the writing part got dull to just do on its own.  So I like doing both.  Even though you've already started the program, I think you might find the guide helpful, too!

3 hours ago, Mariina said:

But the writing part got dull to just do on its own.  So I like doing both.  Even though you've already started the program, I think you might find the guide helpful, too!

Where is the guide? I did all my Whole30 reading around five years ago when I did my first one. I read the book It Starts With Food, but haven't read anything more recent, other than the intro to Food Freedom. When I did my Whole30 I subscribed to a daily email that was helpful and included the timeline which I'll sometimes google and refer to. I don't remember a guide. I have a journal that I was trying to use to help me focus on things each day, but it became repetitive and dull. Extra credit goals sound kinda fun too.

Day Nine - Feeling Fine. Well, actually, I have a bit of a tickle in my throat and ears. I'm super tired and yawning and tears are forming as I yawn. But fine rhymed so well with nine. And actually, I am doing fine. I got some work done today and watched a houseful of kids. I found myself excited about my project and not stressed. I was in a good space. Of course, nothing is done and everything is still sitting out on the table, but hopefully I can work on it tomorrow. This -just being excited and interested in work or in future projects. It's refreshing. 

As I was driving home this evening with a full and bloated stomach, I saw a McDonalds and I thought about the conversations regarding good and bad food. I get it with things like dairy and pancakes.  Dairy leaves me feeling icky. Pancakes make my head foggy. I don't eat them and I don't mind not eating them, but they're not good or bad. McDonalds doesn't seem to leave me feeling icky at all. I like their cheeseburgers and I like their fries and they sometimes seem to sit well in my system if I'm stressed or tired. Ha. Yet I know that there is nothing healthy about them and so I wonder if they qualify as bad food. I don't think I want to qualify them as that. I like MickyD's and I know other people do and I do hate the judgements that go along with food choices and the different groups of people that look down on the food choices of others. I know it's not healthy food, but that doesn't make it bad, right? And even with the fast food, I guess, I do make choices. I avoid the milkshakes and the big meals and just get a small fry and the cheeseburger which isn't as good as a homecooked meal, but nor is it the end of the world.

Balance.

I'm seeking a balanced body and mind and spirit and I don't have it, though I think doing Whole30 in the past has made a tremendous difference in moving me forward on that quest and hopefully will continue to do so.

Goals for today: Meditate (I did, and I think it makes a difference), Practice (I did), Whole30 (I did)

Breakfast (at 11:00 :/) - Zucchini, onion, eggs, Everything-but-the-bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's.

Lunch - Epic Bar, Almonds, Olives, Kale (lunch was a bit like I was grazing and trying to make it a mini-meal)

Dinner - Mini grass fed hot dogs, raw carrots, spinach salad with O/V dressing, leftover cauliflower rice

6 hours ago, Emma said:

McDonalds doesn't seem to leave me feeling icky at all. I like their cheeseburgers and I like their fries and they sometimes seem to sit well in my system if I'm stressed or tired. Ha. Yet I know that there is nothing healthy about them and so I wonder if they qualify as bad food. I don't think I want to qualify them as that. I like MickyD's and I know other people do and I do hate the judgements that go along with food choices and the different groups of people that look down on the food choices of others. I know it's not healthy food, but that doesn't make it bad, right? And even with the fast food, I guess, I do make choices. I avoid the milkshakes and the big meals and just get a small fry and the cheeseburger which isn't as good as a homecooked meal, but nor is it the end of the world.

I think you've got it, Emma! Even McDonald's food isn't "good" or "bad", it's just options that you can choose to use or pass by... and some of the options might be better or worse for your personal situation, but you're still an adult who will make those decisions based on knowledge gained during this whole process and beyond. Food Freedom is about being able to make those choices. Sometimes my Freedom choice is going for an unhealthy (or less healthy) option because the situation makes it a "worth it" moment, but being able to find that balance and make the choices without judging myself harshly afterward was part of my goal -- another part is making sure "worth it" moments don't happen all the time, since that sort of defeats the purpose. (I want to quickly remind that "worth it" happens after reintroduction, because you have to get to baseline and determine your reactions before you can effectively judge whether or not something is worth you eating it! That can get confusing when talking about it in a during-W30 topic, so I didn't want to make anyone think I'm condoning going off-plan!).

Day Ten - I just looked at the Whole30 Timeline. This is supposed to be the "hardest days". I think I remember the timeline being eerily accurate when I did Whole30 the first time. Not so much anymore. Or at least in a different way. I feel like I've jumped on this horse a great number of times and fallen off and just gotten off and sometimes I've just walked the horse to the stable, wiped my hands, and have gone in a totally different direction. But, I tell ya, I think I'm getting a lot better at getting on the horse and I like being on the horse.

You know, Jihanna, those "worth it" conversations are good. I think the hardest thing about so many things is the consistency and the day after day. At one point in my life, I lost 40 pounds and I was so proud and pleased and happy and all the calorie counting and restrictions were totally worth it. But in the day to day, it was SO hard to see that big picture and to see what a tiny amount of time that took to achieve that weight loss. I'm reminded of that now. I'm not doing Whole30 to lose weight, but losing weight is an important part of getting my body healthier. The weight is hard on the joints, increases inflammation, prevents exercising and energy. It's an ugly cycle. And yet, I did want to eat the cauliflower crusted pizza and I did want to go to the movies to eat popcorn and last night, I might have pulled into the drive through to pick up something small except that I'm doing Whole30.  So I liked when you said, "the worth it moments don't happen till after re-introduction" which I took to also mean, they don't happen till later down the road. In one month or two months or three months which is really such a small part of my life....and in that very small part I could be markedly healthier. And that re-introduction phase. Aye-ya. I'm looking forward to it and not looking forward to it. I've never pulled it off successfully and yet I am so curious about so many things. Am I really sensitive or allergic to almonds? To peanuts? To soy? But not to dairy? 

So...planning and visualizing. I think I need to do a lot of visualizing of who I'm becoming and visualizing things like work gatherings and potlucks and how I interact (or don't interact) with the tables of food. I think also doing things for me right away in the morning really sets the tone for the day because I've done my thing right off the bat - be it meditation or exercise. But for now....just slogging through...

Day Ten Goals:

Meditate (Done!!! :) - I did a thank my body visualization that was really nice)

Practice 

Eat Whole30 (and eat breakfast sooner rather than later and eat an actual lunch meal and maybe smaller portions for dinner)

12 hours ago, Emma said:

Where is the guide? I did all my Whole30 reading around five years ago when I did my first one. I read the book It Starts With Food, but haven't read anything more recent, other than the intro to Food Freedom. When I did my Whole30 I subscribed to a daily email that was helpful and included the timeline which I'll sometimes google and refer to. I don't remember a guide. I have a journal that I was trying to use to help me focus on things each day, but it became repetitive and dull. Extra credit goals sound kinda fun too.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Whole30-Day-Daily-Guide-Success/dp/1328839230/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1562870520&sr=8-3

The flexibound is just like a normal paperback book and 13ish dollars, which I think is worth it.  I don't know why the "paperback" version is like 10$ more.  And I agree on how it can get dull, I think it might because I'm not really a journal person to begin with so forcing myself to write in a journal feels a bit tedious to me.  BUT it's a good way for me to self reflect and it has you rate your energy for the day, sleep quality, what could have gone better/what went well, non-scale victories for the day, and more.  Worth it.

12 hours ago, Emma said:

As I was driving home this evening with a full and bloated stomach, I saw a McDonalds and I thought about the conversations regarding good and bad food. I get it with things like dairy and pancakes.  Dairy leaves me feeling icky. Pancakes make my head foggy. I don't eat them and I don't mind not eating them, but they're not good or bad. McDonalds doesn't seem to leave me feeling icky at all. I like their cheeseburgers and I like their fries and they sometimes seem to sit well in my system if I'm stressed or tired. Ha. Yet I know that there is nothing healthy about them and so I wonder if they qualify as bad food. I don't think I want to qualify them as that. I like MickyD's and I know other people do and I do hate the judgements that go along with food choices and the different groups of people that look down on the food choices of others. I know it's not healthy food, but that doesn't make it bad, right? And even with the fast food, I guess, I do make choices. I avoid the milkshakes and the big meals and just get a small fry and the cheeseburger which isn't as good as a homecooked meal, but nor is it the end of the world.

Balance.

Wow, you brought up a great topic.  I had to ask for clarification on the whole not-looking-at-foods-as-good-or-bad topic.  I stopped reading the Whole30 book once I got to the reintroduction chapter because I didn't feel like it had to do with me in that moment, being a whole month away from the reintroduction phase. I'd rather wait until I get closer to the end (I'm on Day 16).  I think I'll have a more confident view of this topic once I read it.  I have a strong feeling it'll be a game changer for me, since one of my issues before starting whole30 was feeling guilty over the food choices I would make.  Okay, maybe I should start reading it a bit sooner.  My sister is one of those "ew, McDonald's is fake food I haven't eaten it in TEN YEARS" (acting all high and mighty ha) types of people.  And I sit there like ....well I like Mcdonald's.. as if I should be ashamed.  The stigma and judgement around it bothers me as well. I think that's a smart way to look at it-- dairy doesn't sit well, say it causes bloating or whatever.  But a McDonalds burger and fries doesn't leave you feeling gross, in fact you feel fine!  So I think this is a great example of giving yourself that food freedom and enjoying that burger, guilt-free, every once in a while!  I'll be curious as to whether or not I'll want it once I'm done with the program.  At the moment, I don't crave it.

Ooh, good discussion! Honestly, I also don't think there are good foods and bad foods. There's simply food. 

If you've taken the time to learn, you know how different foods affect you. That's the point of Whole30 in my mind. It's learning how food fuels you. From there, it's simply a choice. Knowing how this will make me feel, do I want it or don't I? Even if it makes you feel terrible, it's not a "bad" food because you choose to eat it in a moment that's worth it. 

But yeah, society applies all sorts of silly judgement and labels and emotions to food. Yes, McDonald's is probably completely devoid of nutritional value but it's delicious and I decided it was worth it and so I ate some. So what? It's simply food and knowledge and choices! 

I feel like I've read a really good article (or something in one of the books) about this but I can't recall where...

4 hours ago, Mariina said:

Wow, you brought up a great topic.  I had to ask for clarification on the whole not-looking-at-foods-as-good-or-bad topic.  I stopped reading the Whole30 book once I got to the reintroduction chapter because I didn't feel like it had to do with me in that moment, being a whole month away from the reintroduction phase. I'd rather wait until I get closer to the end (I'm on Day 16).  I think I'll have a more confident view of this topic once I read it.  I have a strong feeling it'll be a game changer for me, since one of my issues before starting whole30 was feeling guilty over the food choices I would make.  Okay, maybe I should start reading it a bit sooner.  My sister is one of those "ew, McDonald's is fake food I haven't eaten it in TEN YEARS" (acting all high and mighty ha) types of people.  And I sit there like ....well I like Mcdonald's.. as if I should be ashamed.  The stigma and judgement around it bothers me as well. I think that's a smart way to look at it-- dairy doesn't sit well, say it causes bloating or whatever.  But a McDonalds burger and fries doesn't leave you feeling gross, in fact you feel fine!  So I think this is a great example of giving yourself that food freedom and enjoying that burger, guilt-free, every once in a while!  I'll be curious as to whether or not I'll want it once I'm done with the program.  At the moment, I don't crave it.

I love that you guys are discussing this.  This is what Food Freedom is all about... making choices in the moment about what you truly want.  There are no good or bad foods, there are simply choices and results of those choices.  Results can be sustained energy, energy slumps, clear skin, a breakout, no bloat or bloat... all depending on how your body will react to those choices.  You are not good or bad for making those choices, you just have to accept the result without judging yourself.  It will take work and time... some days will be easier than others.  Reintroduction will give you a starting point for figuring out what foods impact you and which are fine for your body.  A great resource is Melissa's book, Food Freedom Forever which discusses the transition into FF in-depth.  I listen to it regularly myself :) 

Kirbz - If you do remember the article/blog/book, let me know. I'd enjoy reading it.

Mariina - Thanks for the info on the book. Maybe it would be good for me to record things as a food diary. I'm not in the habit of doing it. The best I do now is comment in this forum which would mean having to go back and read through everything to look for patterns. Ugh. I love what you said about the burger. I have some relatives who never eat at McDonald's. I sometimes wonder, though, if they would be impressed with the french fries if they were served in a fancy restaurant. I think they might! Yeah, I wonder if the burger craving is a sugar dragon/salt dragon/processed food dragon or some emotional thing. I don't know. I don't have any cravings right now either.

Ebutz27 - Agreed. The discussions and reflections on the topics are good. It's tricky knowing, though, what does have a negative impact and what doesn't. I know dairy does for me and the consequence of eating it is so nice and clear. Other things, I don't know, but I suspect that they have very subtle effects in my system and enough of those subtle effects....like a stone in a pond and the ripples get bigger.  The hard thing is identifying those things. Regardless, I know that the sugar dragon/craving/questing for food thing happens to me quite easily when I eat processed or sugary foods, though actually I don't know if it's sugar or the processed stuff or something inside like soy. It's certainly a process.

Day Ten - Got some work planning done and I enjoyed doing it. Went to an appointment. Had another appointment. Went to a lesson. It was a day of errands and also gray outside, but I ate just fine and just had dinner with the family and, though, I'm weary, I'm okay. I do have a bit of a cold, I twisted my foot, and so life is not all rosie and dandy, but inside my body, I feel okay.  I almost biffed it for my lunch, but then my son asked why one was supposed to have a big mini meal for a snack and not just one thing and I realized that I could approach lunch as a mini meal/snack and voila...it was easy.

Breakfast 10:00 - Eggs, Yellow Squash, Everything-but-the-bagel seasoning, spinach

Lunch 3:30 -  RX bar, Salami, Raw carrots, Olives

Dinner 7:00 - Grass fed burger, Spinach salad with O/V dressing, sweet potato with lemon garlic Tessamae dressing.

Day Eleven.

I was up late last night. Up into the morning hours. First it was my kid. Then the dog. Then me. Then my thoughts took over about all the things going on politically and the storms and fires that are threatening people's homes and finally I fell asleep. I woke up with a little cough and congestion again and not enough sleep and news and facebook posts that require some oomph to process without being pulled down. I did meditate before coffee, but dreams kept slipping in. My face and neck feel puffy. I'd scream it out if that wouldn't wake the kids and make me cough.

So, I'm having coffee and will then go make breakfast, pick up, and try to get started on the day, including identifying some of the ways I can help my community.

Goal One: Meditate (Done)

Goal Two: Practice (I'm looking forward to this today)

Goal Three: Whole30 (Earlier breakfast, three main meals, smaller portion at dinner maybe).

I will probably need to menu plan. I have stuff for breakfast and leftovers for lunch, but I don't think there's really anything for the family for dinner. Bleh. Oh! I have a whole broccoli I can roast and I have a head of red cabbage I can cook up with some curry and ground beef or pork (that I'll have to pick up at the store). Things aren't so bleak for dinner, but I'll still have to plan so I'm prepped for the weekend. And did I share that I'm going out of town next week to go camping for a few days. Eeek. What will I eat then!  I'm gonna have to do some mental planning around that too.

2 hours ago, Emma said:

I will probably need to menu plan. I have stuff for breakfast and leftovers for lunch, but I don't think there's really anything for the family for dinner.

I think you will find the menu planning worth the effort.  I do mine for 4 days at a time, (you choose how often you do it based on your schedule), as I base it on when I can grocery shop.  I find that menu planning and then list-making really keeps my grocery bill down.  If I have a list, then I will stick to it.

As for the camping trip (fun!), Here is a link to an article that may be helpful.  I love doing "foil meals" in this situation as they are easy.  You can use any kind of meat or fish and any vegetable.  I hope it is helpful!

https://whole30.com/2018/06/in-the-wild-2/

19 hours ago, ebutz27 said:

I love that you guys are discussing this.  This is what Food Freedom is all about... making choices in the moment about what you truly want.  There are no good or bad foods, there are simply choices and results of those choices.  Results can be sustained energy, energy slumps, clear skin, a breakout, no bloat or bloat... all depending on how your body will react to those choices.  You are not good or bad for making those choices, you just have to accept the result without judging yourself.  It will take work and time... some days will be easier than others.  Reintroduction will give you a starting point for figuring out what foods impact you and which are fine for your body.  A great resource is Melissa's book, Food Freedom Forever which discusses the transition into FF in-depth.  I listen to it regularly myself :) 

This was so helpful, thanks!  Something online said that some of the information is outdated because the Food Freedom Forever book came out years ago.  But it did say that the rest is still very great for helping people gain food freedom and a better relationship with food.  They weren't dogging the book at all, just saying some of the info we know now isn't the most accurate.  So, I wasn't sure if it was worth it to get the book or not... it sounds like it actually might be.

1 hour ago, Mariina said:

This was so helpful, thanks!  Something online said that some of the information is outdated because the Food Freedom Forever book came out years ago.  But it did say that the rest is still very great for helping people gain food freedom and a better relationship with food.  They weren't dogging the book at all, just saying some of the info we know now isn't the most accurate.  So, I wasn't sure if it was worth it to get the book or not... it sounds like it actually might be.

I'm glad it was helpful!  FFF came out in the fall of 2016.  I haven't heard it is outdated at all... if you can remember where you saw this, I'd be curious.  

16 hours ago, Emma said:

Kirbz - If you do remember the article/blog/book, let me know. I'd enjoy reading it.

Mariina - Thanks for the info on the book. Maybe it would be good for me to record things as a food diary. I'm not in the habit of doing it. The best I do now is comment in this forum which would mean having to go back and read through everything to look for patterns. Ugh. I love what you said about the burger. I have some relatives who never eat at McDonald's. I sometimes wonder, though, if they would be impressed with the french fries if they were served in a fancy restaurant. I think they might! Yeah, I wonder if the burger craving is a sugar dragon/salt dragon/processed food dragon or some emotional thing. I don't know. I don't have any cravings right now either.

Ebutz27 - Agreed. The discussions and reflections on the topics are good. It's tricky knowing, though, what does have a negative impact and what doesn't. I know dairy does for me and the consequence of eating it is so nice and clear. Other things, I don't know, but I suspect that they have very subtle effects in my system and enough of those subtle effects....like a stone in a pond and the ripples get bigger.  The hard thing is identifying those things. Regardless, I know that the sugar dragon/craving/questing for food thing happens to me quite easily when I eat processed or sugary foods, though actually I don't know if it's sugar or the processed stuff or something inside like soy. It's certainly a process.

Day Ten - Got some work planning done and I enjoyed doing it. Went to an appointment. Had another appointment. Went to a lesson. It was a day of errands and also gray outside, but I ate just fine and just had dinner with the family and, though, I'm weary, I'm okay. I do have a bit of a cold, I twisted my foot, and so life is not all rosie and dandy, but inside my body, I feel okay.  I almost biffed it for my lunch, but then my son asked why one was supposed to have a big mini meal for a snack and not just one thing and I realized that I could approach lunch as a mini meal/snack and voila...it was easy.

Breakfast 10:00 - Eggs, Yellow Squash, Everything-but-the-bagel seasoning, spinach

Lunch 3:30 -  RX bar, Salami, Raw carrots, Olives

Dinner 7:00 - Grass fed burger, Spinach salad with O/V dressing, sweet potato with lemon garlic Tessamae dressing.

A slow roll reintroduction can give you some more clues as to how things impact you and able to break down foods groups too.  Each Whole30 and reintroduction teaches has the potential to teach you something new.  For example, It took me several rounds to realize how gluten impacts me.  It has such a slow, subtle change that my swollen face and sore joints didn't show up until repeated exposure.  

On 7/9/2019 at 11:52 PM, Emma said:

Day EightFeeling Great. And bloated. I seem to feel very bloated almost every evening. Ha. Not sure if that is correct, but a number of nights I felt super bloated at bedtime. Thankfully by morning things seemed to have sorted themselves out. I've been attributing it to the changes in food and the bigger servings of broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini (I just had a really tricky time spelling that word - I don't know if I've ever written down zucchini and needed to spell it - two c's before the h!). This evening I had a big spinach salad. It was totally tasty, but now I am super bloated. Eh. My intestinal flora is grappling with some serious changes.

For the bloating, it could just be normal (see the timeline), but I also know some people have issues with nuts/laura and RX bars and I see those popping up a lot in your diary and certain veggies. So if the bloating continues, you may want to see if some of the things you are eating are triggers. Otherwise, I think around day 8 is pretty common for bloating! It gets better!

https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Coach Mandiep - Great link for camp foods. I like them!

Mariina - I have the book on my kindle, but haven't really looked at it. I think I will this weekend.

Ebutz - It's absolutely amazing how long it takes to notice some of the subtle things and how hard to notice patterns without actually writing things down and keeping a log and then being able to replicate them. Nice to know that others, like yourself, figured things out after a few go-arounds. I'm particularly intrigued with the legitimateness of the blood food sensitivity test I took because much of it doesn't seem to jive and yet other things really do. It would be so nice to find the one ingredient that would make all the difference, but I don't think that quick and simple solution is likely. I'll have to think (and read) about the food intro to see if I can do a better job of it this time around.

Aliem999- Hahaha - I have been eating a lot of those Lara and Rx bars! And I know I am allergic to lots of nuts, but I've considered almonds, pecans, and cashews to be friendly. My blood food sensitivity test said they are not. It actually gave me an ultra high score for almonds which I eat frequently. I tried to avoid those bars today, but I did have one when I was absolutely famished (well, definitely had stomach grumbles). The bloating actually hasn't been bad the last couple nights. I did get my period which may have contributed and I haven't chowed down a head of broccoli or cauliflower in the evenings. Tonight I had cabbage and so far so good, so maybe it is partly the timeline.

Day Eleven Recap:

I'm SO tired this evening and this little cold/cough is tiring me out. I wondered if I was experiencing the timeline a bit delayed, but I think the tiredness is because of the lack of sleep last night (6 hours instead of my normal 7-8) and this cold. I had a decent day until early evening and even in early evening, I managed to play games with the kids, go for a short walk with one of them, draw, and open up the computer. I have no food cravings at all, but I was starving multiple times today.  Maybe my stomach grumbling system is kinda practicing because I swear I can feel it revving up right now and I recently ate. It is good to have the stomach grumbles back. 

Breakfast (9:30): Zucchini and eggs in olive oil

Lunch (1:00) : Chicken and mushrooms

Snack(3:30) : Rx bar, raw carrots, and a beef stick (I could totally tell that my lunch was not substantial enough and I'm aware that this snack is lacking

Dinner (7:30): Nom Nom Paleo's Garbage Stir Fry (Red cabbage, onions, ground pork with Madras Curry). The kids loved tonight's dinner. So funny the things they like and the things that send them into painful spasms of misery. My portion size tonight was totally good. I would have eaten more, but one of my kids cleared the table and put away the leftovers which was probably better than me eating more so I didn't say anything.

I eat a lot of onions. I did not get a headache after eating the mushrooms. I did the other day and I was worried there was a connection. I'm loving the squash and zucchini for breakfast with eggs. It seems so nice and hearty and also easy in the system. I met all my goals today (just barely!). It's time to go read with the kids and get to bed and hopefully sleep far better than last night. Hope you all had a great day and have a good sleep this evening!!

19 hours ago, coachmandiep said:

I think you will find the menu planning worth the effort

I agree with this 100%, especially when cooking for more than just yourself.

-----

Here's how mine works:

Kroger is typically on the weekend. I order online and schedule pick-up for sometime Friday through Sunday.

Sprouts (if I'm going) depends on the sales. Wednesday is the best day overall, because their ads start and end on Wednesday (so it overlaps and you get the best price between the two weeks' sales on that one day). They also have $5 sushi on Wednesdays, which makes my husband happy. If there's a great weekend-only sale, it might warrant a weekend trip, too.

(Aldi and LIDL I don't "write in" on my shopping plan. If I'm going, I'll go based solely on the ad and my overall schedule.)

My mom stops by a local produce market most days during the week (M-F) also, to see what's in the bargain bin... which means random stuff is making its way home throughout the week.

Working from that schedule, I make my meal plan run from Sunday to Saturday. I write in the full week's plan for meats and starchy veggies, and through about Tuesday for other produce. Most of that will be purchased at Kroger. Produce for Wednesday-forward is based on Sprouts' sales (or what I get from Aldi or LIDL), or left blank so I can use whatever comes home from the market.

Day 12 - I fell asleep around 10:30, got up once to go to the restroom, and then woke up at 6:30.  It was SO nice to be back on my normal sleep schedule. I love waking up early and the difference in waking up with a full night's sleep versus not is substantial. I meditated before my coffee. Only a few dream images slid their way into the meditation. I did have this dream, when sleeping, that I saw myself in a mirror, and I had a waist. The person's body didn't really look like mine, but the sensation of "wow-that can happen" was mine. I think I have lost some weight and it's amazing how much five pounds can impact. I had been losing weight for a bit a few months ago and then took a detour and gained some back. I hadn't noticed the positives when I was losing it slowly, but when I gained it back, it was so evident how the shirts sat on my hips or things were tight or how I felt. I've seen the images of five pounds of fat and I think about how substantial that is if it was sitting in a hunk in my gut, though I know it's really all spread out. Still...it's a lot. And the overall point is that it's nice to think that there is hope for seeing certain aspects of my body again (like a waist) and that I am noticing that my clothes are sitting differently on me.

Meal Planning - Yes, it's a good thing and life goes smoother when I do. I'm not the best at planning and organizing and I often shop by the sales and not by my plans. Reading your process, Jihanna, I remembered that we have a store where I can order online and pickup. I did it a few times and it was SO nice. If I were to pull off the coupon/sales notices, then that might help too, but I've never really done it....I'm going to stick that one in my head. I'm assuming I could find those sales on the website or Facebook. The thing I will do is go to the Farmer's Market today which I'm looking forward to. It's always a bit tricky to get enough, but not too much. I still have a head of broccoli in the fridge and fresh spinach and arugula.  But yes, Coach Mandiep,...meal planning would be good and worth the effort.

Daily Goals:

Meditate (Done), Practice, Eat Whole30

Informal Goals: Try to do some meal planning. The kids have made some requests and I should honor those. Camping is later in the week and I need to be prepared for that, as well as for the car drive.  

Emma, I write my meal plan based on the sales. The new sales week starts on Wednesday or Thursday for all the local stores I shop, and most (if not all) of them allow you to "preview" the upcoming week... that makes it really nice if I know I'll be super-busy toward the end of the week. So I review the sales and make a notepad file (on my PC) to list what I'm likely to be interested in getting (with the costs and any limits noted); then I'll use that list as reference for making my actual meal plan, and use the meal plan to build my shopping list.

It takes time and thought, but it helps SO MUCH because it means we're saving money and I'm not buying a bunch of food that'll go to waste.

I try to stock up on things when they're on a super-sale, too, since that'll keep my grocery expenses lower for an upcoming week... but I haven't yet gotten to a point where I can go full-bulk with my purchases.

Good luck on getting started with it again!

Day Thirteen!

I didn't check in last night. My computer needed charging and I didn't feel like taking the cord into the other room. Yesterday went well enough. The kids requested the same meal as the night before (Nom Nom's Garbage Sink) and then wolfed down the spinach/arugula salad and the spaghetti squash with basil pesto that I made. The kids are eating their old standards during the day, but they "get it" and they eat the carrots and apples for snacks even though they'd prefer graham crackers or something like that.

Meals Yesterday: 

Breakfast - Broccoli, kimchi, and eggs (SO much broccoli. Costco sells frozen broccoli that has four bags in the bag and it was nice and not icy or soggy- great for cooking)

Lunch - Asparagus and Prosciutto

Dinner - Arugula/Spinach salad, Spaghetti squash with pesto (basil, almonds, EVOO, garlic), Garbage Sink (lamb, madras curry, onion, red cabbage)

I was so full after yesterday's breakfast. Broccoli can really fill you up. I got some hunger pangs in the afternoon and then made some lunch and was again hungry by dinner time which was nice. As I type, i think my stomach is thinking about being hungry, though it's not yet there.

I went to bed around 11 and woke up at 6:30.  Life is so much better with a decent night's sleep. I still have a little cough that has been worse at night. I took medicine for it last night and I did have a dream where I couldn't breathe because I couldn't cough hard enough to get out the cough (and I woke up struggling to breathe and cough). I get bad coughs that can last for months , but so far, this one seems like it might pass on by with only minimal inconvenience. My guess is that overall inflammation plays a huge roll in this and with Whole30, inflammation goes down. 

The last couple days I noticed some down energy and those feelings of noticing all the great things others are doing and that I'm not. I know it's not quite true. To someone looking at my life, I might be the one triggering envy. And yet...I know this is the overweight, glum, tired, sickly thinking. It happens and it seeps right into a fairly good day. It also makes me glad I'm doing this Whole30 right now because I do know that I could be healthier with better energy and I feel guilty and ashamed that I'm not (and also aware that this is what makes me so human). I am thankful that wanting to be healthier and fit has almost nothing to do with my interactions with others or with concerns about their perceptions. It does to a degree. If I feel healthier, then I'm more likely to join in to new things or to greet people openly or to be a more active parent, but I'm not worried about how I look (not that I don't want to feel more like ME in my clothing). I actually took a photo of a woman the other day who was dressed how I would like to dress - nothing fancy - just jeans and a t-shirt, but it looked like the ME that I envision when I'm healthy and active and cleaning the chicken coop (things I love doing).

Today's Goals:

Meditate (Done)

Practice

Eat Whole 30

I printed up some recipes yesterday. I bought some of the produce and meat needed. I did not menu plan. Maybe today. Our dinners are looking really nice.

Day Thirteen is coming to a close. I ate a whole bunch of almond butter this evening. And some whipped coconut milk. It was all quite decadent. We were having a party and so I joined in and came out of it fairly okay.

Breakfast Today: Eggs and a yellow squash - It was a medium squash so it was a really big breakfast which was actually good because it doubled as lunch since I totally forgot I didn't eat this morning. Forgot. Completely. 

Dinner: I hosted dinner for out of town guests and their parents and it went super well. One of the parents doesn't eat sugar and some of the others have food allergies and there I was with this beautiful dinner: Spinach/Arugula salad, Sweet potatoes, Roasted cauliflower and roasted broccoli, Egg Roll in a Bowl (Broccoli slaw with ground pork, onion, chives, coconut aminos, and garlic. The kids ate lots. The grownups ate lots. It's great, but also so sad that there are very few leftovers. On a good note, I kinda whipped up that dinner about 40 minutes before they arrived and it was all pretty easy.

I meditated this morning.

I did NOT practice. Ugh. I even wanted to and I even had pockets of time where I could have. However, I DID go to the gym and I went in the sauna for a really long time. I know the sign says, "15 minutes" but I think I was in there for an hour. I read that the Finnish people say to stay until you are too hot so I just kept staying and staying until finally the sweat started really happening and I got tired of wiping it from my eyes. How long should it take for people to start dripping in sweat in a dry sauna? I feel like my body took a long time, but I was really quite comfortable.

Archived