Whole 30 (July 2)

Emma

Day Six

What a night. I had to go to the restroom like three times between falling asleep and midnight. Then I was up at five to go again. I was awake in between that to see why the dog was barking and to tell the cat that I was indeed in bed where he could find me if he bothered to look before calling out. Thankfully, when I got up at five, I fed the dogs who were totally positive that that was the planned breakfast time, and then crashed on the sofa for a couple more hours. So, overall, I got enough hours, even though the process wasn't so restful.

I meditated already. It's gonna be tricky to do all this once school starts. I'm planning to have a day similar to yesterday: clean up, practice, read, work and hopefully spend more time outside today.  I think I'm gonna have chicken and riced cauliflower for breakfast, butternut squash and some other stuff for lunch, and a repeat of last night for dinner. There is a minor attempt to avoid eggs and branch out a bit, but this is a very minor attempt.

Onward with the day.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beckha99 said:

truth is I more just gave up, and called it "I don't care what other people think." 

The energy will come! I have to believe this every time I feel like I am walking about dragging my body through the day. Yesterday was horrible for me in that regard. Not just a little, but SOOOOO much. After 3 nights of little sleep and starting my period, I could have just laid on the floor all day. But this morning, even though I am a little tired still, I feel much better. Not "tiger blood" or anything like that, but not like yesterday. I have to be thankful for that. 

So, in the Badass book I'm reading, one of the points the author makes is to just not give a crap about what others think so I wonder if your "giving up and not caring what other people think" is more of a letting go which makes it a nice truth and not a sad truth. I do want people to see me as the person that I see myself and sometimes my body doesn't match that, but then even my body is a nice reflection on me and my challenges and my life and experiences and who I am.  I know I prefer a doctor who has grappled with their own body issues or allergies because they can connect and understand (I don't actually have a doctor like that and my doctor is great, but I'd have preferred it if given the chance). Gadz - wasn't that all positive and glass half full.  Obviously it is not my period right now. ;)  I'd like a body that is strong and healthy and confident - not one that gets injured and tired out. We will get there. I'm glad you're feeling better. 

Day Six Recap - 

Talk about a protein filled day. I was like super antelope grazer, but I am somewhat pleased that my grazing led to reheating butternut squash, cooking up some tuna and onions, and eating a grass fed Whole30 compliant beef stick. Oh, and a nut bar. But only one and that was before all the other stuff. I was so full feeling and even while super full, I am peeing non stop. It's crazy whatever is going on in my system. And now I'm here drinking some tea because I feel over salted, but will this lead to peeing every half hour tonight?? I remember that when I first did a Whole30 way back in the day, peeing all night long was one of the things that occurred during the first week or so. It didn't happen when I started this Whole30 on July 2nd, but everything about my gut was more stable at the beginning of July and right now things seem more out of whack. I saw some probiotics sitting in the fridge door this evening and I suppose I could start taking a few of those and see if that helps. I think they're compliant, but I suppose I'll have to check. 

Overall - the day was okay. I meditated, practiced, worked, cleaned up (though the house is still a mess), grazed, stayed on track, cooked up dinner, and found myself planning ahead. Also, no eggs today! I like eggs, but it concerns me that they showed up on the blood work allergen test (so did onions which I eat a lot too) and there was a time last year when I'd been eating hard boiled eggs and found my mouth and throat starting to react. They were ones that I purchased already hard boiled, but I don't think there were any preservatives. I don't want to screw up my relationship with eggs by overeating them and yet they are so easy and accessible.

Breakfast - Chicken and butternut squash

Lunch - Chicken, squash, tuna, onions, beef stick, nut bar, dried beets

Dinner - A few mini hot dogs that my kids love, a bunch of mixed greens, and a bunch of sauteed kale/mushrooms/onion/garlic that one of children deemed was poisonous. And darn - I heated up the squash in the microwave and forgot to put that on the table. I'd better remember to get it out of the microwave.

I am excited that this Whole30 ends right as the school year begins which is when I really want to have good energy.

Day 7 

I forgot to take the butternut squash out of the microwave. Darn! I'd eat it, but with my queasy gut, perhaps I will give it to the dogs. One of my dogs LOVES all things Whole30 and she'd be thrilled to help out.

Today is Farmer's Market day!!!! I'm excited -not sure what I plan to get, but I'm excited. It's a rainy drizzly chilly day so it's not the best day for the market or garage sales, but it's still nice to be out and about meeting people and seeing new things. And it's nice to be curled up on the sofa looking out at the gray rainy drizzly day.

I slept from midnight till six, went to the bathroom, and then slept from 6 till eight so I managed to get in my eight hours. I thought about staying away at six and would have liked the quiet time, but those extra two hours of sleep made for a full night's sleep so I'm glad I didn't. I fell asleep quickly too.

My left knee is again achy. Actually, now it's not achy, but it was at six. 

All is just fine and will be more fine after a good cup of coffee and a shower.

Plan for the day: Meditate, Practice, Eat Whole30

Rest of the plan: Same 'ol, same 'ol - laundry, clean up, work, maybe read, and go trek around to farmer's markets, joanne fabrics, pet store, and maybe target. Sounds like so much. The plan is to go out and about late morning till early afternoon and then be back home. I am enjoying working on my work so this is good.

Great job working on getting enough sleep.  I need to improve on that!  I am also contemplating if I should go on a probiotic.  No specific issue I want it to help with, but I'm contemplating if I'm doing all I can to repair my gut, because I dont really eat any fermented foods.  The thought if eating sauercrout or pickled beets makes me sick!  I have eaten 1 or 2 regular pickles during my diet, but I dont think even eating a pickle a day is going to be a gut cure... wouldnt it be nice it if was?  Haha

Day Seven Recap - 

The dogs loved the squash. They didn't get it till the afternoon when I saw that my husband had discovered it in the microwave and put it on the counter. 

I spent the day out and about and I picked up a beautiful orange cauliflower and gorgeous head of broccoli and when I got home, I put them in the oven to raost and ran to the bookstore. I told my husband I put them in the oven and he acknowledged that he heard and understood they were in the oven. When I returned, the fan was on full force and all the broccoli and cauliflower were black. I guess my husband didn't realize that he had to keep an eye on them. Instead, he went into the kitchen when the dog started barking and discovered smoke billowing out of the oven. He didn't understand why I didn't set a timer. I never use a timer. I use my nose and eyes. Alas. It was burnt, but you know what, I still ate a bunch of it because I wasn't gonna let that glorious stuff go to waste. And then we sat down to our dinner which now only consisted of fish and greens. Amazingly, the kids ate huge plates of mixed herb greens. I don't get how they can eat that bitter stuff, but die when it comes to berries or cooked onions.

And then, because I knew I had to check in, I finally meditated (only for 8 minutes) and practiced (only a token amount and an amount that made me realize I'm far more skilled in the morning) and then sat down to check in with everything completed. Phew.

The one unpleasant thing from the day is that my ears are crazy itching/irritated/inflamed/popping and cracking. It happened sometime after dinner. The only thing I ate that I don't normally eat is blackened roasted cauliflower and broccoli - quite blackened. Could that trigger a reaction?!?! It's definitely a reaction and not a cold or something like that. I took an allergy pill (which I normally do because of pollens) about an hour ago and my ears are still unhappy. The only other things I ate were fish oil pills from a new bottle. I can't remember when I ate them so it might have been before dinner. Anyway, I'm just documenting it in my long winded ways.

And now it's time for bed!

Amy_Michigan - I never took the probiotics. I might though if I remember. Overall, I think our guts will start dealing with things just through the process of us eating fiber rich veggie diets.  I was reading about fiber last night because somebody forwarded me an email saying that paleo diets are bad because one is only eating protein and not near enough fiber. Black beans have a lot of fiber, but what has way more is broccoli in the quantities I've been eating it. I might write up a comparison of fiber in a typical healthy person's diet (granola for breakfast, veggie burrito for lunch, fish, veggies, and rice for dinner) and then compare it to what I've been eating. I wouldn't be surprised if my fiber intake is right up there. I've been taking photos of my plates and they're FILLED with the veggies and it's crazy because you can eat all these veggies and be stuffed and bloated (not necessarily great things) and it was only like 30 calories or something crazy. And then, I was reading about how it is these soluble and insoluble fibers that help change the living conditions in your gut which causes the bad bacteria to struggle and the good ones to thrive.  So....anyway...I'm headed to bed with unhappy ears, a bloated belly, and a headache. I'm a glorious mess! :) (But a happy I'm on Whole30 mess)

Day Eight - Ahhhhh. Eight has a nice sound to it because soon will be fifteen. One and two and three and four just sound like the beginning, which are also good places. The climb up a mountain always starts with the first step and so One is really quite a beautifully strong number, but I'm liking how eight sounds. Eight. Day eight. I had a dream last night that I ate something non Whole30, but kept it secret. And then I continued to eat non Whole30 things effectively living a double life of clean posts in the forum and unhealthy eating on the side. Just to be clear - that's not my plan, but my brain was certainly presenting that as an option.

I woke up early. The cat and the dog were both staring at me and the cat was making tiny mew mew sounds in an attempt to communicate that he was hungry, but in a seemingly polite way since I was clearly asleep. I felt awake enough so I got up. I think, though, it was only 6.5 hours of sleep. Maybe only six. Dang.

My ears and head are feeling much better, but my ears are still itchy if I think about them. Maybe they'll clear up as I wake up, drink coffee, and do that early morning sniffing to clear out the ear, nose, throat pipes. It was unpleasant last night as the inflammation moved from my ears into my head causing an entire heaviness of ocean inside my skull when I leaned over to kiss my kid goodnight. I will eat my fish oil pills today to see if they trigger it, but I don't think they will. I will eat some more fish in the next few days and I'll use the same curry broth, but that would surprise me. I don't particularly want to roast and burn broccoli and cauliflower to test things out. In fact, I don't want to buy those veggies anymore from that vendor even though I can't imagine there was a problem with the veggies since, once they are cooked, I don't have issues (I do react to them when they are raw).

Plan for today:

1. Go to the sauna and meditate in there

2. Practice much earlier in the day than I did yesterday

3. Whole30 

8 does sound pretty amazing! I can't wait until tomorrow. There is something where I get past the 7 day mark where it feels like an accomplishment b/c it was a whole week!! The allergy situation must be crazy to deal with. I hope you figure out what was bothering you! Just think, tomorrow is your day 9 and then you are in.....**gasp**...DOUBLE DIGITS!! 

I am totally with you on leaving something in the oven, with the husband to watch, and then it getting ruined. You are much more gracious then I could have been!

4 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

day 9 and then you are in.....**gasp**...DOUBLE DIGITS!! 

I am totally with you on leaving something in the oven, with the husband to watch, and then it getting ruined. You are much more gracious then I could have been!

Haha - I was really gracious. I don't know why I was. I just looked at it and then ate the burnt stuff off the pan. It helped that he was disappointed too. And I know he doesn't do the nose and eyes thing to check that food is done. And maybe I'm feeling some positive Whole30 mood effects - that must be playing a huge role!

Double digits - wowzers! That's the day after tomorrow! That's pretty exciting, but now it feels SO far away. ;) 

Day Eight Recap:

I'd planned to go to the sauna really early when nobody is there using the locker room, but I sat on my arse drinking coffee till the time when people might be there. But thankfully, it was rather empty. I'm trying to be all, "I am who I am and I don't care that this is how my body looks and in fact I am totally 100% comfortable changing in a public room with mirrors and people everywhere." Yeah - I am so not there.

But I did go to the sauna because....because I said I would. And I meditated while there and I sweat a bunch and then showered and went home.

My body did not clean itself out this morning like it generally does (thank you to the evening Natural Calm) which I'm assuming is because of the reaction yesterday. (That might be a little TMI but it's helping me track things)

I practiced and I ate Whole30 and I ran errands with my kid and I went to the theater tonight. All in all an okay day. I'm not ready for tomorrow at all, but today was okay.

Breakfast: Turkey slices and mixed greens

In the car running errands: Two nut/date bars :/

Very Late Lunch: Turkey slices and mixed greens and more turkey slices and mixed greens with Tessamae's lemon garlic sauce topped off with a small beef stick

Dinner: Grass fed beef burger, Yu choy greens cooked with coconut aminos, roasted onion, roasted cauliflower!

I stopped at Costco today and they were selling big bags of cauliflower florets and it was so cheap so I went home and cooked 'em all up as well as a couple onions.  There are only about a cup of cauliflower leftovers. We ate the entire bunch of Yu Choy and all the onions. A lot of veggies are consumed.

I did do a comparison using a fiber calculator I found online comparing the overall fiber of a regular healthy eater and then of a semi-okay day on my part. Guess what? They were comparable. There's no loss of fiber doing a Whole30 meal with plates filled with veggies so if any body is naysaying and saying this high protein diet is going to cause a heart attack, feel free to sit down and do the numbers. True, I probably eat some meat portions that are not just the palm of my hand, but I eat a heck of a lot more healthy things than I used to.

Okay - off to bed and hopefully to a good sleep. For all of us.

See you tomorrow!

4 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

8 does sound pretty amazing! I can't wait until tomorrow. There is something where I get past the 7 day mark where it feels like an accomplishment b/c it was a whole week!!

Hey! You're BACK! You haven't been on your page and after reading about you collapsed on the floor and in pain and misery and no sleep...and then no entries, I got a bit worried. I'm glad you're still here.

Day Nine. Nine has a nice sound to it as well.  

Monday. I like Mondays because I like the focus that goes with them, but I gotta tell ya, right now Monday doesn't sound so sweet. This is my pre-coffee thinking though. I had big plans for this morning. I was gonna wake up early (check, did that) and go to the gym (ha hahahahaha) and sauna and meditate (not happening). Then come home, organize my thoughts and papers and be out of the house at nine for the day. I'm gonna have to enter into Plan B which will include a shower. 

I slept last night from 11-3:47 without budging. I don't think I moved at all. It reminded me of Whole30 sleep. I went back to sleep till 6:30. It was good. I would have slept longer, but the dog and cat were keen on me getting up. But the point is that I am looking forward to the point where I wake up and don't recollapse on the sofa with coffee and the computer. I know some is routine and habit, but I'm aware that there are times I wake up and I'm just ready. I'm looking forward to that.

Tonight we're having ribs. I don't have any other plans yet and eee gadz, I'm not gonna be home for lunch. Oh my. My Plan B is going to need to include preparing a lunch. We are out of eggs. It's a pretty convenient way to force me to cut back a bit on the eggs. I should do that with the nuts as well. It makes it tricky though because eggs are so quick and easy and wholesome. Tuna! We have canned tuna and canned salmon. We have carrots and cabbage. Ugh - no eggs to make mayo! But I can draw on CB's breakfasts and do the tuna and carrots and cabbage that for lunch. Phew. I now have a plan.

Goals: Same three goals. It would be super sweet if I got two of them done before I left the house this morning. It is possible given the time I have since I am not at the gym. Hmmm.

10 hours ago, Emma said:

Hey! You're BACK! You haven't been on your page and after reading about you collapsed on the floor and in pain and misery and no sleep...and then no entries, I got a bit worried. I'm glad you're still here.

Yes, that was a horrible day. Then the weekend kicked in and I was a glorified chauffeur to kids sports, etc, and had no time to sit and write. Everytime  I did, something else would come up. The sweet silence to reflect this morning was great. I am jealous that you can meditate. I have tried repeatedly, but my mind does not do well at being quiet at all!! I should keep trying. 

12 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

The sweet silence to reflect this morning was great. I am jealous that you can meditate. I have tried repeatedly, but my mind does not do well at being quiet at all!! I should keep trying. 

I once joined a 28 day challenge with wildmind.org. It was about six weeks into it that I started really noticing that it helped, though in a very intangible way, but it was the kind of thing where I'd be talking with people and I'd want to say, "Hey, you should try meditation." I didn't, but I did note that I was obviously benefitting from it. I'm not having that experience this time around, but I suspect that there is something good to it that I just haven't realized yet. Certainly, I feel like if I can complete allow my body to just be in the moment (not zone out or tune out) for even 5 minutes, then it is 5 minutes better than nothing. My daily goal is really only 12 minutes, but that 12 minutes takes eternity. Anyway, the challenge was good cuz the guy did guided meditations. The breathing ones are hard and boring. The loving kindness ones are fun and interesting because it gives your brain something to focus on. I'm currently doing a series on how nothing is permanent and I'm not quite getting it. My mind doesn't stay quiet at all. I figure that's another reason to keep trying with it.

Glad you're back.

Day Nine and I am stuffed. Like crazy stuffed. If I had just stopped eating, I would feel better. We had ribs and I didn't really like how they were smelling but I ate them anyway. Funny, my ears are crackling and popping right now and semi itchy. I ate greens and the ribs. This was not a stellar eating day for me so I'm not even going to share my meals, but I will share that I did eat all Whole30 approved stuff, I went to the gym, I meditated while in the sauna, I went to work, and I token practiced (Though none of that happened this morning like I had hoped). And now I'm sitting at a table that I began to organize. Our house is such a crazy cluttered mess. I could start laundry and even get it into the dryer before bedtime. I'm gonna try to do that. And finish cleaning up the kitchen. The rest of the house will stay a mess.

Hey - I have a question....

If you knew some older folks who were grappling with some undiagnosed health issues including some weird reactions around foods on occasion and they were kind of on board with the Whole30 idea, which book would you send them? I've really only read the first book (It Starts With Food). I liked the explanations it gave. I don't really know the other books. They are semi on board with trying it out, but they are skeptical of all the new age stuff that is out there and are frustrated and confused with all the conflicting information between all the various food philosophies/medical advice.

So now I will stand up and go start laundry. I will do it. I will. 

Day Ten.  This number does have a nice sound to it.

Slept well from 11:15-6:30. I'd like to be falling asleep sooner, but first I need my kid to fall asleep sooner and she's not doing that. Thought about getting up and going straight to the gym this morning. "Thought". This is certainly a step closer than previous mornings where there was always a "no way" mentality. Last night, I really liked the idea of getting up and going and I might have, but my workout clothes are in the car and going out to the car to come back in to change or changing at the gym all seemed like really huge obstacles. Laughing. I've had a quarter of my coffee and I can now see that that was some absurd reasoning. Nonetheless, I did make a plan to go right after I drop my kids at camp. I'd have preferred that time for work, but now I have that time right now for the sofa with the dogs and the quiet space.  

And just like yesterday, I have over an hour before I leave and in an hour I could get a lot done - Make lunches for the kids, Make breakfast, prepare lunch for me, practice....I don't have to shower because I will after the gym. I guess I still need to walk out to the car. Inhale. It does still seem a little challenging ;)  AND get stuff from the washer into the dryer.

But you know what - this morning as I walked into the kitchen, I thought, "Wow, things look so picked up!" Guess what!? Things aren't all that picked up, but they are more picked up than they were and I DID THAT last night. My energy wasn't so bad.

image.png.c51d48d1f077aeaf4cac87a1657c6526.png

CONGRATS on double digits. Maybe that sounds silly to some people, but to me it is a huge accomplishment!! Your struggles with the gym are definitely familiar. I have had a membership for 2 years and I haven't stepped foot in like 12 months. No matter how many times I have gone, or will go, if I have a long hiatus I always feel like people are judging me. That or I will make a total fool of myself. :unsure: Yesterday I walked 3 miles. I used to be a runner so that feels so stupid to say, but it is better than nothing. Today I am trying to talk myself into going to the pool to swim laps. At one point, about 9 years ago I did a sprint triathlon and I alway enjoyed the quiet of my swim training. That seems like so long ago, and I am much bigger now, and I am nervous just to go and swim. Pretty sad. Exercising is my next hurdle on this program. The struggle is real my friend. I have to put on my workout clothes first thing. I even have to set them out the night before next to the bed so when I get up to take the kids to school, that is already what I am wearing. I am pulling for you to make it to the gym today!

13 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

image.png.c51d48d1f077aeaf4cac87a1657c6526.png

CONGRATS on double digits. Maybe that sounds silly to some people, but to me it is a huge accomplishment!! Your struggles with the gym are definitely familiar. I have had a membership for 2 years and I haven't stepped foot in like 12 months. No matter how many times I have gone, or will go, if I have a long hiatus I always feel like people are judging me. That or I will make a total fool of myself. :unsure: Yesterday I walked 3 miles. I used to be a runner so that feels so stupid to say, but it is better than nothing. Today I am trying to talk myself into going to the pool to swim laps. At one point, about 9 years ago I did a sprint triathlon and I alway enjoyed the quiet of my swim training. That seems like so long ago, and I am much bigger now, and I am nervous just to go and swim. Pretty sad. Exercising is my next hurdle on this program. The struggle is real my friend. I have to put on my workout clothes first thing. I even have to set them out the night before next to the bed so when I get up to take the kids to school, that is already what I am wearing. I am pulling for you to make it to the gym today!

I used to be a runner too! Now there is no way between the weight and the joints and the arthritis. I miss it. I also did a mini triathlon about seven years ago and it was super fun. I'd lost weight and was running and swimming and biking and having fun planning the training. Wow - it feels like seven years ago isn't really that long ago, but in my head, I've been carrying this weight since I was in high school which isn't true at all. I guess it's easy to get bogged down in it and feel hopeless. I can't really imagine being thin and fit and am somewhat resigned to this current body. Somewhat, not all. I also really love swimming and found I was relatively decent at it. After the initial five or ten minutes, I'd find a groove and be able to go for a mile. Sigh. We even have a pool close by. I'll go next week - kinda a virtual pool date - if you want!!?

Day Ten - I did SO much better than yesterday. I didn't get anything done in the morning, but once I dropped off the kids, I went to the gym, did a little workout, and got in the sauna for a half hour and got out just before the workout class people swarmed in to the locker room. The naked thing just isn't my comfort zone yet. It's not even my out-of-comfort-but-will-try-zone.  And then I worked and then I ran some errands and then I went to a BBQ and ate a burger with onion and tomato and mustard and then returned home and ate leftover cauliflower, watered plants, and played a game with the kids and then some ball. My goodness - I sound like I'm kind of on top of things! Oh crap - I didn't practice and now it IS too late because I have to put the kids to bed. Crap! Oh well. I did meditate. I did eat Whole30 and I seem to be feeling a bit more centered energy wise. All good things. I still wish I'd just lose a bunch crap of weight, but that's not my whole goal.

Oh - tonight I saw a friend and I shared that I was doing Whole30 and she shared that she's doing some program where you eat/drink six prepackaged meals a day (shakes or bars) and she's really liking it because it's so easy and she's lost a bunch of weight in just one month. I had some envy at the weight loss, but no envy at all for the process. I get the simplicity and doability of a program like that, but really I want my entire future to be healthy and I like how I feel when I eat Whole30. The weight loss will happen. I just wish I could trust that because my body seems quite content to stay at this weight.

Hey - So I just googled Ben and Jerry's because I was reading someone else's post about allergens to soybean oil at KFC and I knew soy was in B&J - Guess what else is? PEA PROTEIN which I totally know I react to. That stuff is sneaky and it's in all the plant based burgers and foods.  This doesn't let me know anything about soy but it does let me know that I need to be aware of not combining those two things during a reintro.

Breakfast/Lunch - Yellow squash with eggs and the Trader Joe Everything but the Bagel seasoning, RX bar

Dinner - Burger, slice of onion, slice of tomato, leftover roasted cauliflower - yum!

Off to brush teeth and go to bed. See everyone tomorrow!

10 hours ago, Emma said:

I used to be a runner too! Now there is no way between the weight and the joints and the arthritis. I miss it. I also did a mini triathlon about seven years ago and it was super fun. I'd lost weight and was running and swimming and biking and having fun planning the training. Wow - it feels like seven years ago isn't really that long ago, but in my head, I've been carrying this weight since I was in high school which isn't true at all. I guess it's easy to get bogged down in it and feel hopeless. I can't really imagine being thin and fit and am somewhat resigned to this current body. Somewhat, not all. I also really love swimming and found I was relatively decent at it. After the initial five or ten minutes, I'd find a groove and be able to go for a mile. Sigh. We even have a pool close by. I'll go next week - kinda a virtual pool date - if you want!!?

Um, just YES! YES TO ALL OF THIS!!! I don't have arthritis (that must be so hard), but everything else here is totally me. It is funny even now when I look at the pictures after I finished my Tri, I think "Man, I look fat." But it was the smallest I had been since high school. I know logically I have not always been this overweight, but mentally I have hated my body since high school. At some point I have to mentally fix how I see myself, but that is easier said than done. Virtual swimming date would be great! And it is better on your joints and stuff right? With starting swimming again I think, like most things, the hardest part is the first time back. 

10 hours ago, Emma said:

Oh - tonight I saw a friend and I shared that I was doing Whole30 and she shared that she's doing some program where you eat/drink six prepackaged meals a day (shakes or bars) and she's really liking it because it's so easy and she's lost a bunch of weight in just one month. I had some envy at the weight loss, but no envy at all for the process. I get the simplicity and doability of a program like that, but really I want my entire future to be healthy and I like how I feel when I eat Whole30. The weight loss will happen. I just wish I could trust that because my body seems quite content to stay at this weight.

I have done the Suja 3 day cleanse a few times. It is 3 juices a day, and then basically small vegan/vegetarian meals. No caffeine. I say that again, NO CAFFEINE!! I had a headache the entire time, and was starving. My husband could do the cleanse back to back for like 9 days and would lose like 15 pounds. I have no idea how. Plus side was at the end, I always lost 6-9 pound. Minus side of course it comes right back. The only reason I will do that now is if I just want to wash out my system. 

This process is way harder in that instant results are NOT going to happen. It is even more difficult that my husband drops weigh like crazy and it is visibly noticeable, while I am still trying to not feel bloated. My genetics with weight loss suck. His are ridiculous. 

I wish for the ease of those programs too. Or a personal chef. Neither of which have a snowball's chance in hell of happening. But right now, I feel pretty good. The weight loss will come. You are right on that one, but it is so hard not to get discouraged. I am trying to kick up my exercise a notch to see if it helps speed things along. My patience is not so good on this one. 

We are ok though. We've got this. 

13 minutes ago, Beckha99 said:

Um, just YES! YES TO ALL OF THIS!!! I don't have arthritis (that must be so hard), but everything else here is totally me. It is funny even now when I look at the pictures after I finished my Tri, I think "Man, I look fat." But it was the smallest I had been since high school. I know logically I have not always been this overweight, but mentally I have hated my body since high school. At some point I have to mentally fix how I see myself, but that is easier said than done. Virtual swimming date would be great! And it is better on your joints and stuff right? With starting swimming again I think, like most things, the hardest part is the first time back. 

Well, then, let's go swimming! My husband will be home next week so I can go on Monday, but oh my - the pool times are 5:30-7! That's really early! I can do it though. Swimming is way better on the joints, but I've managed to hurt my shoulder swimming which I think is because of the inflammation - the inflammation which I am addressing and working on.  I do miss running and last night I googled about it. I've got osteoarthritis which I really don't notice most of the time, but on occasion there will be a flare up and then I'm almost immobile. The flare ups are probably food and inflammation related. Or if I overuse or exercise more or if I bang a joint, but none of those things are as bad as a food triggered flare up.

Day ELEVEN. Wow, how did that happen!

Last night I googled "Running after 50" and found a site where he promises you can do it without injuries. I got hopeful. And my energy was so good that I pictured waking up early and once dropping off the kids, I'd go home and MOW the lawn and maybe start shoveling again. Hahahahah. It's eight fifteen and I'm supposed to leave in fifteen minutes. I'm stiff and sore and yawning and sitting on the sofa with coffee. I haven't made lunches for the kids, gotten dressed, or brushed my teeth! :)

I slept from 11-8 with a wake up at four for the bathroom. My morning sleep didn't need to be so long, but I was having a great time dreaming. And maybe it needed to be long because my body needed it. I did go to the gym the last two days and I can feel the stiffness. It's a good thing though. My dreams were also fantastic. There was a fire which wasn't good and we were trying to get away from it by climbing up hills, but I was helping some older people I know and haven't seen in a while and then later in the dream there were a bunch more friends in the dream. Friends! I'm often such an introvert that it was really nice to have a dream where I was enjoying being with my friends.

It's now 8:20. I'd really better get going. I act like this is so hard. I get to come home today after dropping them off so it's not like I can't check back in then. Goals today? Same as normal: Eat Whole 30, Meditate, Practice

Archived