Whole 30 (July 2)

Emma

Day Eleven - Almost Completed

I can't believe what a pill I was before my coffee! Half way through my cup I was a whole different human being. The day went well. I had a great time at home this morning CLEANING. I even cleaned out some drawers in the kitchen that were filled with crumbs and crackers pieces and nuts. I tossed expired stuff. I love tossing expired stuff. The house is still a mess, but there are parts that are cleaner and it felt so nice. And then I went to work and that was fun and then picked up the kids and went to swim lessons and then got home at 6:30 ready to cook the ribs and discovered the oven isn't working!!! It's new so it's under warranty, but it definitely is annoying. These ribs need to get cooked soon and I could grill them and use the Instant Pot, but I don't really want to be a problem solver yet. And I really wanted to roast some brussel sprouts, but it's okay. I cooked up burgers on the grill and prepped a Caesar salad for the kids (which the dog ate when I went out to the grill) and cooked up some onions and zucchini for me. It was fine. Breakfast and lunch today were just mixed greens with turkey slices. The turkey is all gone and the mixed greens are almost all gone so I'm gonna have to try something different tomorrow.

My head is a little congested today. Hmmm. I should note that and notice what I ate, but I actually think it's some stuffiness from being around a bunch of dust.

I have not meditated yet, but I will. It was either meditate or check in here and checking in was far more fun.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day Twelve - Ahhh, I'm getting back to where I was before my reset.  Maybe that reset will be a good thing because if I hadn't had it, then I would be nearing the 30 day mark and I'm feeling good, but not great. My body needs a LOT MORE healing time. But with the fifteen day warm-up, by the time I get to the thirty day mark, it will really be about 45 days about clean eating and that's a good healthy dose of healthiness. And then to continue.

Reintroduction thinking - I've never pulled off a reintroduction, but I really do want to this time. I've been noting what you've said, Jihanna, and think I should probably right some things down. Soy is a big one.  Corn is another because it seeps into so many things and I like corn on the cob. Dairy I only eat when it's in a cake or ice cream. Cocoa! I should check that. Eh - enough thinking about this. It's all two weeks away and life is going to be very busy. I can focus on it closer to that date.

I slept from 11-6:30 which one quick visit to the bathroom. My dreams were vivid and a bit frenetic.  I am sore today still from doing squats two days ago. I love it! Even if I am hobbling around a bit. I also have blisters on the sides of my feet. I'm not sure why. I've been wearing the same birkenstocks. A hopeful part of me wondered if it was because I lost weight in my feet and so now my shoes fit differently. Haha. It's the only place that feels like it might have lost weight.

Weight. I just did a guided meditation by Tara Brach and one of the things she says is to accept yourself as you are or love yourself or something open and loving and I was right there breathing in the good open loving energy and I DO love myself and all by myself, I feel just fine. But energy wise, my body isn't happy. And the extra weight on these joints must be exhausting. So then I forget about loving me and get focused on the weight which will take forever to go away. How long is forever? I'm going to quantify that. OMG - Forty weeks. I've lost thirty by watching calories and then eating clean and then I gained ten and then lost ten. But if I lost 40 more, I'd be in a much better space health wise. So, one pound a week - forty weeks. That's less than a year, but what a crazy amount of focus and attention and consistency for SO long. And yet, in one year, I'd be quite happy. I really just want results in six weeks. ;) That's not so possible.

Plug along and plug along and stay focused on learning to eat the healthy foods and only healthy foods so that they become my base. And practice becoming aware of the foods that drag me down. My family is going to want to go out to eat once this Whole30 ends. We have several pizza parties we are hosting in upcoming weeks. Eeegadz. I'm going to want to join in. I think I'm going to need to start mentally prepping for these upcoming events. I will make paleo deserts for myself, but even that takes some mental prep. I can do it. 

I like that I'm thinking in terms of longer term. 

Ahh - the house is awake now so my quiet time is ending.

I think squats are the devil's exercise. I mean they are great for your leg and butt, but holy hell they hurt when you start doing them again. Day 12!! Nice! 

The pizza parties are horrible. I do not envy you having to do that! I am sure my kids would love to have pizza, but I am not making it/buying it for this whole30 timeframe. I love my pizza. They will have to suffer for another 19 days. 

It sounds like you have a solid plan of attack for these outings, so you are ahead of the curve. Keep up the awesome work!

10 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

think squats are the devil's exercise. I mean they are great for your leg and butt, but holy hell they hurt when you start doing them again. Day 12!! Nice! 

The pizza parties are horrible. I do not envy you having to do that! I am sure my kids would love to have pizza, but I am not making it/buying it for this whole30 timeframe. I love my pizza. They will have to suffer for another 19 days. 

It sounds like you have a solid plan of attack for these outings, so you are ahead of the curve. Keep up the awesome work!

I'm laughing - My inner thighs are so sore today. Every time I go to sit on the toilet, it's painful getting that low. :) And I can talk about having a plan of attack for the outings, but unless I sit down and write something up....there's no plan! The pizza thing is going to be rough. The first one is going to be Sunday. At least we are not going camping. We were going to and I was worried because it would be around the same time I screwed up last time. Phew. No hanging with friends in the great outdoors!!!

Day Twelve - It's over - just gotta go drink my Natural Calm and then get the kids in bed. I meditated. I practiced (a bit). I ate Whole30. Today was high on the protein and low on the veggies. My energy was fine for the day. Not great. I'm not zippy and getting things done and yet I don't have any major slumps. I sat too long on Facebook, but it wasn't as long as I coulda.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Day Thirteen

I'm so glad I'm doing this Whole30 and so glad I'm doing it now because I know in the next month, my stress levels are going to soar and my response to stress is to be ultra chill and procrastinate and to have trouble getting a clear vision which makes it hard to work on anything. I can feel little thoughts of wanting to run away and not deal rising up in me and I know that unless I get further ahead with some of my work plans in the next week, I'm gonna have to do some serious grappling with stress emotions. So, I'm glad I'm doing Whole30 because I feel like I'm not sabotaging myself at a time when I need my mind to feel more positive.

And I guess that's the biggest thing I'm noticing. My hopefulness is coming back. And a yellow bird just flew by the window. I've never seen it before. I should take that as some sign from the universe! So, I'm feeling hopeful. I joined a couple Facebook groups. One is for runners over 50. Woooey - they are out of my league. They're runners who say they had a slow run and yet they still had 11 minute miles (or faster). My mile is 20 minutes. Period. They're a friendly group and I was going to remove myself, but then I thought I might type, "Hey, I'm not even walking yet, but give me a few months" and you know what....how exciting that I can think that way. The other group is the nonetorun (none to run) and they're more my speed. They are people who never thought they'd run and now they are. I think I may do the beginner plan (it's free) which is a thirty minute walk/slow run of walking for two minutes, slow-run for 30 seconds. I can do that. I think. And it's only three days a week and there's a focus on doing some leg strength exercises a couple other days which I can tell ya, from my squats, that I have already begun on.

Of course, I say all this and I haven't done a thing yet. Hahaha. I haven't even meditated. And right now, summertime, life is so much easier. But the point is that I'm FEELING better and FEELING more optimistic and so now is the time to really make a plan. I recently read the quote, "Hope without a plan is just a dream" and it's been bumping around in my brain. And right now I'm on that plan. I'm THIRTEEN days into that plan.

36 minutes ago, Emma said:

But the point is that I'm FEELING better and FEELING more optimistic and so now is the time to really make a plan.

Sometimes the only thing that has kept me holding on is how much more hopeful I feel. The anxiety and depression have been with me for year, and this past year was just down right awful. The fact that I feel like I CAN get up and get going is a huge thing for me everyday. For that fact alone I am thankful for this process.

Day Thirteen - Well, I did not go to the gym, but I did mow the lawn in the front and back and that took about an hour. I also took a family photo tonight and I liked the face I saw. There was another moment where I looked in the mirror and thought, "that's me". There were lots of other regular moments too, but I'm gonna note those good ones.

Beans beans the musical fruit.... Well, I ate brussell sprouts at lunch and that song popped up in my head. Oh my. I guess I've been eating the heavy veggies more at night so I just go to bed and wake up better. I wonder if the hullaballoo going on in my gut is because I'm not used to eating them or because they don't sit well with me. I know tofu has a similar effect so I just avoid it.

Nice evening outside with the family tonight. My mood is pleasant. I met my goals for the day (barely), but I met them. I'm super tired. My legs are still sore from the other day. I'm trying to up my water intake because I notice I haven't been drinking as much this week.

Dinner was ribs and salad. I could see my kids withering the rest of the night and proclaiming their hunger. I ended up buying them a rice ball to eat because dinner really had no carbs whatsoever. I also got a book in the mail today by the Practical Paleo author. My family really enjoyed her recipes and she has a keto book that is really veggie strong. It feels like it could walk hand in hand with Whole30. She has a nice infographic showing the differences and her version of Keto seems pretty well balanced. Certainly, I like the recipes inside. I also picked up Whole30 Quick and Easy and my kid selected a recipe for dinner tomorrow night. It's way more fun when the family helps with meal planning.

Oh my gosh - yawning. I'm tired. Good night all.

Day 14 - I slept about seven hours and woke up when the dog came in to tell me it was time for breakfast. I was almost awake anyway in that dream state where the dream had been already going on forever. I've now been drinking my coffee and next will be a trip to the gym since my husband is home to watch the kids. At the gym, I'm going to stretch and then do 30 minutes on the treadmill following the day one of nonetorun which is walk two minutes, slow jog 30 seconds. My feet and ankles are stiff this morning as they frequently are so I will try being extra good about stretching.

The rest of the day....clear up my mess on the table, pay bills, organize my work plan, work out in the yard shoveling, farmer's market (without getting caught up in garage sales on the the way), more work in the yard. I could run to Lowe's to pick up a saw, but if I do that, then it takes me that much longer to get back home and start doing anything. We have no plans and no guests for dinner so the day doesn't have to end at any particular time which is good. I'm worried my plans will not line up with my reality. The good thing is that I'm no longer caught up in netflix like I was. I've got a show I'm semi watching while working on simple paper projects, but nothing pulling me to the sofa. Or maybe no longer the same need to sit on the sofa.

My most recent googling has been about posture and the ugly bump on the back of my neck (from poor posture). I have no idea what my skull should feel like on my shoulders because I've spend my life doing it wrong.

Okay - goals for today: Meditate, Practice, Whole30

And - oh - get the kids to meal plan before I go to the Farmer's Market so I can pick up the appropriate produce hopefully. And oh no - did I share that our oven is broken. That means no roasting vegetables :( unless I can do it on the grill. I have no idea if that would work.

Oh no - no oven!  Talk about a whole30 nightmare.  At least you have a grill... but I am no help in that department, sorry.  I recently read on a whole30 blog that you can get frozen “roasted” vegetables from Trader Joe’s.  Who knows if that would be anything similar in taste/texture, but I might try it sometime.  Sounds likely more tasty than regular frozen “steamed” veggies.  Two items in particular that I saw pictured included Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges. 

Day Fourteen - This was a close one. We went to dinner at a friend's house and I told my husband to tell him I was doing Whole30 and I also planned to pick up an organic sweet potato at the store to cook and eat if I couldn't eat anything. No organic sweet potatoes at the store! So I bought soda water and ice cream for others and we went over. The dinner was great...almost....chopped veggies (squash, onions, carrots) sauteed in something that smelled tasty and spicy, salad, and salmon. So, good Whole30er that I am, I asked what the marinade was and he said, "Soy" along with other things. Ugh. I really did think about just going for it and calling it a reintroduction practice, but I didn't. Instead I said I wasn't doing soy and he pulled out some coconut aminos and doused another filet of salmon. So....I ate okay and I really appreciated being able to be a guest who wasn't rude and I appreciated knowing somebody who didn't really bat an eye at accommodating me. No veggies aside from a few carrots in the green salad and I'm really really tired which I think is because of the lack of carbs at dinner. And lunch. My lunch was two burgers with a bunch of tomatoes, onion, and mizuna greens.I also had an Epic bar and I think my mouth is lightly reacting. I keep saying I need to back off the nut bars, but so far I haven't. I did back off of eggs somewhat which is good.

I went to the gym this morning and I did the workout. It was 30 minutes of walking with little 30 second bursts of slow running every two minutes. It was actually really, really good and I felt great after. I would have run more, but I need to be ultra mindful of injuries and I am joint injury prone and I'm pretty elephantine on the treadmill which can't be good on the joints so I followed the program. This evening, I noticed a little something in one of my ankles when I went down stairs, but that's okay. Tomorrow I'll just do the stretches. I was also in an EXCELLENT mood after the walk/run thing. My mood crashed over other things (envious of others and their jobs, houses, lives, open road...) which I recognized might be aggravated by my lack of enough food so I ate.

Amy_Michigan - No oven is rather the pits. Steamed veggies are not for me. That's what I used to think veggies were till I fell into the Whole 30 world. I wish we had a Trader Joe's because I'd try out those roasted veggies. I also can't imagine what they'd be like, but I'm cool trying things. 

Off to bed with me. I have a headache. And my eyes are really, really tired of focusing.

Tomorrow.

• Moderators
On 7/29/2019 at 11:24 PM, Emma said:

If you knew some older folks who were grappling with some undiagnosed health issues including some weird reactions around foods on occasion and they were kind of on board with the Whole30 idea, which book would you send them? I've really only read the first book (It Starts With Food). I liked the explanations it gave. I don't really know the other books. They are semi on board with trying it out, but they are skeptical of all the new age stuff that is out there and are frustrated and confused with all the conflicting information between all the various food philosophies/medical advice.

This page has descriptions of all the books, it might help you pick which would work best for them:  https://whole30.com/which-whole30-book/

Personally, if you think they'd read It Starts With Food, I'd get them that one, for the explanations. It didn't feel at all new-age or weird, to me, it just made sense as I read it. The Whole30 is good for a step by step how to do a Whole30, it has some very basic explanations of why, but not as in depth as ISWF. If you think they're pretty on board with trying it, but want the guidance of what exactly they'll need to do, that's probably a good one. 

19 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

This page has descriptions of all the books, it might help you pick which would work best for them:  https://whole30.com/which-whole30-book/

Personally, if you think they'd read It Starts With Food, I'd get them that one, for the explanations. It didn't feel at all new-age or weird, to me, it just made sense as I read it.

Ahhh - this is great. Thank you! I think I'm gonna get them ISWF and Whole30 Quick and Easy.

Day Fifteen!!!!

Went for an epic 20 mile bike ride this morning with the family. I was a bit moody going into it, not sure if I could do it and how I'd be. At least I can recognize my moodiness for what it is. And the ride was fine! One of my knees got a bit inflamed, but is just fine right now and doesn't need icing. I'm gonna say that so much of this is because I've been eating clean for almost a month now. I'm tired out and can feel the sweat dried on my skin and I'm having some coffee, but look at that - I have SWEAT on my skin and after the coffee, I'll feel better.

Slept well last night - the good sleep is really starting to kick in. I did get up once to go to the restroom, but I fell right back asleep which is a big deal.

The family is having pizza tonight :( It would be smart for me to drink this coffee and then food prep while I'm alert. I could probably use some more food in me right now too. Chances are I will not do that very smart thing. Maybe I'll go to the bookstore instead. Or meditate and fall asleep - haha.

Day Fifteen End of the Day

Oh my, I have a subtle headache and my eyes are tired. I should probably put on my glasses. What I want is a beer. I feel like a beer would make my headache go away. I'm not going to have one and I suspect that the reason I want a beer is because I have had a very low carb day. My family ate pizza and I ate mixed greens with garlic and lemon olive oil dressing and prosciutto. No good veggies. No squash or broccoli. My lunch was primarily onions, mushrooms, and eggs so again very low carb. But, it's close to bed time and I will sleep and wake up and have beautiful coffee. I was thinking I'd go to the gym tomorrow morning bright and early, but after today's bike ride, I think it's okay if I don't and maybe I'll even sleep a bit more.

I have yet to meditate. I will do that as soon as I finish writing this post. PAUSE. I just went and did it. Ten minutes. Done. Mark that off. 

I'm going to have a very hard time keeping this all up as soon as school starts back up. I'll probably have to prioritize or plan, but I don't seem to be so good in those areas and I don't seem to have the energy to declutter the house so that I can think clearly.  Haha - you hear that overwhelmed tired talk? Cuz I'm tired! 

Now I'm smiling. It was a good day and I stuck to Whole30. (I did google "cleanest ice cream" in hopes of eating some for my reintroduction and I also noticed that the pizza crust the kids ate tonight was made with SOYBEAN oil. Things sneak in all over the place so maybe I'll have to make my own pizza for the reintro. Enough of this. I'm off to brush teeth and start getting ready for bed. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Making your own pizza dough is actually pretty fun, especially for kids who get to spread out their little ball of dough into a personal pizza. It lets everyone get involved a little. We've also done homemade half-moon ravioli, which is also fun. And if you can manage to keep all of the rolling out and prepping on a counter top or plastic-covered table, clean up is usually fairly easy as well.

I need to actually start doing all the things I said I wanted to start doing at home, and see if I can handle homemade stuff made with "normal" wheat flours or if I need to cut the wheat out entirely (I already know I don't fare well with most breads, which is fine by me because they don't taste good anymore anyway).

10 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Why so little food for dinner? I'd be starving and so cranky, especially after your epic bike ride!

I don't know. In the moment it seemed okay. Maybe my body was too shocked by the bike ride to notice. Not quite true. I went to bed with a hungry stomach, but I was so tired I didn't care.

2 hours ago, Jihanna said:

I need to actually start doing all the things I said I wanted to start doing at home, and see if I can handle homemade stuff made with "normal" wheat flours or if I need to cut the wheat out entirely (I already know I don't fare well with most breads, which is fine by me because they don't taste good anymore anyway).

Making bread sounds so much fun! And it smells so good too.

I don't even know what is normal wheat - is that wheat without anything else added to it? I have just been slowly realizing that when ingredients say "flour", it can mean more than just wheat flour - I think?? I skin tested allergic to barley which I used to think was only in soup, but I just realized that when things say "malt" that means barely.  

16 hours ago, Emma said:

Went for an epic 20 mile bike ride this morning with the family.

Holy crap that is awesome!!! Plus, you are now officially over the half way point! 

You are such a trooper that the fam ate pizza and you kept it clean with your greens. I have a simple recipe for pizza crust if you want it. It has 5 ingredients. I used to make my own dough and pizza sauce all the time, but then I found some we liked at trader joe's and I gave in and started getting my dough and pizza sauce there. It was a time and ease thing. But in looking at it, the time it takes to make the dough and sauce that has no preservatives or anything nasty in it is worth it. It is easy to say now, but once my daughter starts fall sports this week we will see how "easy" it is to get dinner together.  

Hopefully you slept well after that bike ride last night! On to day 16!! Keep it up!!

Day Sixteen - Well, the advantage to going to bed hungry is that one wakes up hungry. That is a good thing because I will make breakfast of squash and eggs and set myself up for a good balanced day. I'm also going to be home for lunch and for dinner.

My sleep last night was not so hot. I feel like I was restless and I had crazy dreams this morning about needing to be at the airport in 45 minutes and I couldn't find my phone or shoes or anything and I was taking a dog with me and my Uber ride was here but I still didn't have my phone. We'd had lots of friends visiting and I'd been having fun having them over but now the house was a mess....Maybe it represents my stress going back into the school year. I plan to do some picking up and cleaning up and organizing today.

My back is a bit sore from the epic bike ride. My eyes are still not sharp so I'm wearing my glasses this morning, but other than that (and being really hungry), I feel good. I was awake at 6:30 so even with fitful sleep, I got sleep.

Goals for today: Eat Whole 30 meals I feel good about sharing, Meditate (done), Practice

Other goals: Clean and organize inside the house this morning, work, plan a party, or do outyard work in the afternoon. Look how I can't even prioritize one thing to do. I want to do it all. Ha. Tiger blood wouldn't be able to help. 

3 minutes ago, Emma said:

Yes! I'd love your pizza crust recipe.

You start with 1 package of active dry yeast.  1 cup of warm water (this is weird because if it is too hot the yeast won't prime or "wake-up") Mix them up a little and let it sit for about 5-7 minutes. It will look a little bubbly or more gel-like (sorry I don't know how to explain this one!). Then add 1 cup of flour and mix well. Once it is combined, add 2 Tablespoons of EVOO, and a 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt (I just use a little dash), and another 1.5 cups of flour. Mix everything together, set the bowl in a warm area covered by a towel, and let set to rise for 30-40 minutes. Then you can roll it out or make into smaller dough balls for individual pizzas, etc. I cook my pizza at 415 degrees for 12-27 minutes. I don't time it I just watch the cheese and crust until it is done to my liking. The only reason I set a timer for 12 minutes is to gauge how much more time is needed. Is that the worst written out recipe ever? Sorry! Also, sometimes I will do a whole wheat dough mix...the first cup of flour is regular, and the second 1.5 cup is whole wheat flour. Also, from time to time I will also add a .5 to 1 tablespoon of honey as well. It just makes it taste a tiny bit different.

Reaction - Wowzers

I dropped off the kids, ran to the market, and picked up some food, but I was starving (and hadn't eaten yet) so I picked up som Dr. Praeger's Spinach Littles. They're aimed for kids, but the ingredients all seemed okay: Spinach, potatoes, onions, expeller pressed canola oil, potato flakes, egg whites, arrowroot powder, sea salt, garlic.  I cooked up 10 of em in the microwave and ate them. They were fine. Then I started to pick up, but my throat felt a little not perfect. Then, I urgently needed to use the restroom which I did and at the same time I had one of my small coughing reactions where things in my lungs thicken up when they detect something not so cool and indeed I did cough up/vomit up a bit.  Ick! And now my head feels cloudy and groggy.

So what the heck was it in those spinach littles? I'd eaten nothing else this morning. Dust from picking up doesn't do that to me. I generally don't eat potatoes. I have no clue when I eat canola oil unless it's part of vegetable oil which is in everything. I also ate these spinach littles not too long ago and had no reaction that I was aware of.  But my system is cleaner now and can communicate better and it left no room for argument - something in this was not welcome.

4 hours ago, Emma said:

Reaction - Wowzers

I dropped off the kids, ran to the market, and picked up some food, but I was starving (and hadn't eaten yet) so I picked up som Dr. Praeger's Spinach Littles. They're aimed for kids, but the ingredients all seemed okay: Spinach, potatoes, onions, expeller pressed canola oil, potato flakes, egg whites, arrowroot powder, sea salt, garlic.  I cooked up 10 of em in the microwave and ate them. They were fine. Then I started to pick up, but my throat felt a little not perfect. Then, I urgently needed to use the restroom which I did and at the same time I had one of my small coughing reactions where things in my lungs thicken up when they detect something not so cool and indeed I did cough up/vomit up a bit.  Ick! And now my head feels cloudy and groggy.

So what the heck was it in those spinach littles? I'd eaten nothing else this morning. Dust from picking up doesn't do that to me. I generally don't eat potatoes. I have no clue when I eat canola oil unless it's part of vegetable oil which is in everything. I also ate these spinach littles not too long ago and had no reaction that I was aware of.  But my system is cleaner now and can communicate better and it left no room for argument - something in this was not welcome.

Yikes!! That's a bit scary. I know that we're told to avoid canola unless not possible, but I don't think it's known to cause a reaction like that! 

8 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Yikes!! That's a bit scary. I know that we're told to avoid canola unless not possible, but I don't think it's known to cause a reaction like that! 

I eat Dr Praegers stuff with no reaction.  You could be sensitive to something in there... I have found that I have an overly sensitive tummy on an empty stomach, though.  It has happened quite often since I turned 30.  Not trying to discount your food sensitivity worries though.  I’d either avoid until reintroduction or eat just like 2 as a side with another meal and see what happens.  If it were me, I’d probably avoid for the rest of my life, though, if it made me vomit!  EEK

4 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I googled about canola and it said it was okay, but to limit the non seed oils. Regardless, crazy reaction. I remembered that I took a turmeric pill in the morning which I hadn't done for a while because I ran out, but the reaction happened within 15-30 minutes after the Lil Dinos.  And the foggy head - blech. It was a hoped for quick meal, but anything out of the freezer section at the store is not as wholesome and healthy as home food.

Archived