Amy's Whole 30 Log Starting July 15, 2019

Amy_Michigan

29 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

On re-reading, I realize I meant that generalized statements don't mean your specific body doesn't react (I wrote it backwards)... but I gather you got the gist. :D I'm a big believer in there being no one-diet-fits-all because each body is unique, with a unique set of factors in play, so it's up to each of us to find what works for us. We can take information like what's on the website into consideration, but ultimately our experience with a food (or food group) will weigh most heavily when we decide what should and shouldn't be included in our continuing diet. Good luck! :) 

Yes, I knew what you meant but thanks for clarifying!  I wil listen to my body :).  Thanks for the helpful feedback!

I bought the kindle version of It Starts With Food today so I can start following the template better.  I also might try and be better about eliminating foods for autoimmune disorders (the AIP version of whole30) because that might be hindering my progress.  I definitely have to switch out the white potatoes in the morning with some baked sweet potatoes and I'll figure the rest out as I go...

I posted everything I ate todatein the post above, which I think ended up being thr last post of Page 1.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 8

Getting better at prep but unfortunately it took me 2 hours this morning to get ready for work because of the prep.  Yes, in a perfect world I would do it on Sunday like everyone else, but I reserve my weekends for playing with my kids and taking them places because that is the only time I get to see them all week besides 1-2 hours in the evenings.  

I remember trying to do this on the weekends and my kids were going nuts (or was that me going nuts?).  When I cook by myself, it is something I enjoy.  It's a fun hobby.  I'm totally focused when I do it and making sure I'm making everything just the way I want it.  Cooking is a chore I'm rushing through when I'm also taking care of 2 kids and attending their needs.  So weekends are out for hours of food prep....unless I start doing it after the kids go to bed.  Sucks to have to deduct some of my relaxation time, but maybe I could make it work.  Definitely can't do it in the evenings on weeknights...sooo tired during the week when I get home.

This morning I had baked sweet potato with coconut oil for breakfast.  Totally said "no" to Rx bar like a champ.  Ran out of time but brought compliant deli meat to eat when I got to work.  Still have to eat that, though.

My prep work for lunch- a large container of lettuce, a large container of steamed vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, broccoli) with coconut oil drizzled over it (will have to heat in microwave so I'm not eating lard consistency oil on my veggies since it's in the work refrigerator right now LOL, A container of chicken breast strips to add to the lettuce (I used applegate farm chicken strips (frozen) and thawed them on the skillet this morning), some evoo/balsamic vinegar, and an apple.  I think that is it?  It takes up a whole plastic grocery bag.

Today is day one of avoiding nuts & white potatoes for AIP.  I'm on the fence about eggs.  I know it is included in the AIP foods to avoid list.  I have to get some AIP compliant veggies for salad tonight from the grocery store.   Probably going to have tuna tonight with some veggies.

Here's a link to the meal template, just so it's handy here and not just in the e-book
https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Okay, so looking at the menu from yesterday, and hoping I condense this correctly :) :

Breakfast -- 3 hashbrown patties (1 serving) and an Rx bar

Snack (at work) -- apple and pear

Lunch -- salad (2-3 cups lettuce/greens mix, up to 1/2 cup boiled egg, 1/2 cup chicken breast, bit of cucumber slices and carrot shreds, 5 cherry tomatoes, a bit of red cabbage, sprinkle of sunflower seeds, topped with oil and vinegar)
Black coffee with lunch

** very hungry after lunch, but working and no more food, eventually not hungry **

At home -- LaCroix water (1 can) and a large banana, after which wasn't hungry enough for dinner
-----------------------------------------------------------------

On breakfast, you have no real protein. The hashbrowns are just starchy vegetable and spices, and the Rx bar is really just nuts (considered fat for Whole30 purposes, not protein) and rather sweet dried fruit (and while Rx bar is compliant, it's suggested for emergency use).

I'd honestly suggest removing the Rx bar from breakfast entirely. If the full 3-patty serving of hashbrowns nearly fills you, then I'd suggest reducing the number you eat at breakfast so you'll have room to add in protein and fat to match the template. With wanting to avoid white potatoes for AIP, I'd suggest doing egg-free breakfast scrambles or casseroles rather than eggy frittatas, to make sure you're getting plenty of protein in for your morning meal. Personally, I found I had an easier time eating my "breakfast" when I was grabbing a leftovers container, not having to take time to cook int he morning... so breakfast would be whatever I had for dinner the night before, or the night before that. Since I had made dinners reflect the template, I knew my breakfast would as well.

If you can get to where you don't need the snack between breakfast and lunch, that's best. I generally brew coffee while I'm eating breakfast, and then drink a couple of cups of it after I've eaten. Coffee is a natural appetite-suppressant, so I try not to drink it before I've eaten, that way I know I'll be able to eat enough to hold me until the next meal.

Lunch yesterday probably would've held you more effectively if you had some kind of starchy vegetable with it, and more fat might help as well but I'd try that after adding protein and maybe starch. Now, I say this knowing that most starchy foods make me sleepy if I eat them at lunchtime... so my suggestion is to test things out, and start small so you don't find yourself passed out on your desk! Carrots will often work well for me, but instead of shredding them on my salad I'll roast them and grab some to eat with my salad.

I think between lunch and dinner, your body might've gotten tricked into thinking it was done. Because you were hungry but unable to eat, a small amount was enough to make you feel full enough later on. So my last meal suggestion is to plan on allowing "mini-meals" that still meat the template... like a handful of carrot and celery sticks, some compliant dip, and some tuna or chicken salad, which can be eaten as a "snack" in place of fruit. I say that because you seem to rely heavily on fruit, and my sugar dragon would be off the rails crazy if I ate that much fruit in a single day :) Needing snacks isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when you're dealing with other factors (like lupus)... but having those snacks be mini-meals (matching the template) will likely serve your body much better than snacking on fruits and nuts.

Regarding meal prep time... I'm not sure how old your kids are, but is there any part of the prep where they could help? When my youngest was a bit smaller, she used to LOVE helping me rinse and drain salad greens and other vegetables, which was perfectly "safe" because she was only messing about with water and a colander. If you've got a salad spinner in the house, even better, kids love those! My youngest (now 9) also likes to help pull out the spaghetti squash strands, wipe down counters and sweep to help me clean up, etc. If you can find a way to make even a small part of your food prep a family affair, so that it's a fun way for the kids to get involved, it might help reduce some of the stress you feel around it AND get them interested in it all. (Again, I realize that won't work with really young kids, so I'm just throwing this out there as an idea, just in case!)

I hope at least some of this helps :) I know it's especially difficult when you're looking at not only making these changes but also having to consider removing things many of us take for granted as a normal part of our everyday meals.

4 hours ago, Jihanna said:

If you can get to where you don't need the snack between breakfast and lunch, that's best. I generally brew coffee while I'm eating breakfast, and then drink a couple of cups of it after I've eaten. Coffee is a natural appetite-suppressant, so I try not to drink it before I've eaten, that way I know I'll be able to eat enough to hold me until the next meal.

Lunch yesterday probably would've held you more effectively if you had some kind of starchy vegetable with it, and more fat might help as well but I'd try that after adding protein and maybe starch. Now, I say this knowing that most starchy foods make me sleepy if I eat them at lunchtime... so my suggestion is to test things out, and start small so you don't find yourself passed out on your desk! Carrots will often work well for me, but instead of shredding them on my salad I'll roast them and grab some to eat with my salad.

Thanks for the helpful feedback, Jihanna!  I cut out those white potato hashbrowns starting today, but I'm still working on remembering to eat protein in the morning.  

The drinking coffee in the morning tip is helpful as well, although I have a tough time forming habits like grabbing coffee or tea.  I'm more of a spontaneous person, non-habit forming person, which is why I struggle so much with eating clean consistently!   I even have a portable tea kettle thing in my office at work that I haven't used in at least 2-3 months!  :(  :(  I'm well stocked on green tea if I could manage to remember to drink it.  Haha. 

I like the idea of roasting carrots!  I have done that once before, years ago, and it was fantastic.  I'd love to have my kids help with meal prep, but I'd have to put some thought in to which parts they could help with.  They are 4 and 6.  Most of my meal prep would include cooking up ground meat on the stove, chopping vegetables, etc.   In all honesty, I love my kids, but for some reason I enjoy cooking alone.  It's kind of rewarding and relaxing in a way to do it alone.  Now mixing up ingredients for baking cookies with them on the weekends (that I can't eat at the moment) is definitely fun and we do that a lot.  :) I will keep an eye out for recipes they can help mix.  

Even just letting them have fun tossing veggies in oil and herbs could be helpful to you, because it's one less step that you have to worry about. If you don't want to tempt fate by letting them do it in a bowl, you can always just put everything in a big zipper-close bag. I do that with my own carrots, tossing them in olive oil with some salt, pepper, and tarragon.

The same can go for tossing meats or veggies in herb and (compliant) flour/starch mix before baking or frying. Put it all in a big baggie and let the kids go to town.

For the older one, maybe helping with making meat patties? If you had some pre-formed (and even pre-cooked) sausage, it might make it easier to grab protein in the morning... just be careful with seasonings, if you're going to have tiny hands help mix!

Anyway, just some thoughts that have worked for us. Either way, I'm glad you get enjoyment from cooking, that helps a lot with Whole30!

Day 9

Darn I wan't to give up.  I did partially give up yesterday- at least with the AIP part.  I realized I hadn't had enough fat with dinner so I was like FINE whatever, and grabbed a handful of walnuts. Before I did that I ran through the alternatives- drizzling EVOO or Cocounut oil into my mouth...and that is all I could think of without breaking AIP (mostly because there are no avocados in the house).  So walnuts were the obvious choice.  When I get through this Whole30, I will re-evaluate if I can plan better in order to complete the AIP version. 

Yesterday-

Breakfast- baked sweet potato with coconut oil for breakfast.  Some compliant lunch meat MUCH later at work.  Poor planning.

Lunch- Ate the lettuce salad with EVOO and balsamic vinegar, lots of chicken breast in my salad, and an apple.  I didn't eat the veggies I packed. 

Dinner- Chicken thighs, sweet potato with coconut oil, and a big cup of frozen blueberries.

Plan for today:

Breakfast- Already blew it.  Had an Rx bar and that is it because I didn't have any leftovers and I was too lazy to look for anything else.

Lunch- Brought lettuce and there is leftover chicken in my fridge at work.  There is still the veggies I didn't eat yesterday in the fridge as well.  Barf.  My goal is to at least eat some, though.  Steamed veggies in the microwave from the freezer section is not even close to as yummy as roasted veggies. :(

Dinner- No plan yet.  Probably will eat some compliant lunch meat, and make another sweet potato to go with.  I REALLY need/want ghee.  My goal is to pick some up today before dinner from the health food store.

Did something productive today- sent my curbside pickup order to Kroger with the following items.  Yay!

Organic - Avocado- Small  (4)
Simple Truth Organic™ Grass Fed Ground Beef 90% Lean 10% Fat  (2)

Kroger®Brussels Sprouts (1 bag)
Organic - Broccoli (2)
Organic Carrots (2)

Simple Truth Organic™ Ghee Clarified Butter (1)

Organic Red Sweet Potatoes (5)
Veggie Noodle Co. Cooked Zucchini Spirals (2)

I also got Morton's iodized sea salt.  It contains dextrose but the new updated Whole30 allows for salt even if it has dextrose.  I have been forgetting to use salt, which I think is a Whole30 no-no (if not an official rule) because of the loss of electrolytes in the body during the Whole30 (not an expert on this, though).  I saw a Whole30 post somewhere that I should be using both sea salt and iodized salt to prevent an iodine deficiency.  

Avoiding nuts, potatoes, and maybe eggs - :wacko: That's not easy! I don't care for potatoes or tomatoes so avoiding those guys isn't a problem and I just use sweet potatoes in lieu of regular potatoes. But nuts. And eggs. I love nuts. I'm allergic to a bunch of them and possibly allergic to the ones I think I can eat, but so far, I haven't gotten them out of my diet. And eggs - I eat them every single day. I guess I'm sharing that I aspire to do an AIP, but for now, it's out of my league!!  I also love the entire curbside ordering. I keep forgetting we have that as an option and it's a good one because then it might help me prep better. My daughter loves helping me in the kitchen.  I know it's a good place for her to learn, but I also like to be in my own zone and head space and that's hard with other people in the room.

Good luck today!

Day 10.

I'm mad at Kroger for not knowing what sweet potatoes are and giving me yukon gold potatoes instead, not even noting it as a subsitution for my curbside pickup.  That just means that whoever was fulfilling my order does not know the glory of sweet potatoes yet.  I pity them.  Although, really, I didn't eat sweet potatoes until I was like 25...so maybe I can't judge them too harshly. :lol:

I'm also *I think* I'm fighting a virus because my throat has been very sore for 2 days.  It also happened the morning after I ate a handful of plain walnuts right before bed.  Maybe I'm slightly allergic?  Who knows.  Not sure how long that could affect me.  I don't have any experience with food allergy reactions.  I guess that is a good thing.  Even though my brain thinks it is 75% likely to be a virus, I am going to cut out all nuts (Eeek!) until after my Whole30.  My almond nut butter is calling my name right now...but I will be strong.

Dinner for Day 9 ended up being Chicken Breast, Potato hash browns, raw carrots, and I know I had something for my fat but I can't remember at the moment.  Maybe it was the oil on the hash browns and that's it.

Day 10 meals:  I basically made my lunch for work this morning, then took a little bit out of the huge potions to eat with my hashbrowns this morning.  I also took a multivitamin because I'm scared to get sick.  The sore throat is so weird.  No cough or any other symptoms really. 

Breakfast:  Along with hashbrowns, I had some freshly steamed, coconut oil drenched cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli , and some chicken breast on the side.

Lunch is basically the same but larger portions of chicken & steamed veggies with coconut oil.  I made an entire bag of frozen veggies this morning.  So I'm eating the whole bag myself over the course of breakfast and lunch.  The chicken will be added to a lettuce salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Fruit I brought to work today include an apple and a banana but I'm not sure if I can fit all of the food I've listed into my belly.  Probably will save the apple until later with dinner.

Dinner is going to be butternut squash spirals, ground beef, and no-sugar pasta sauce mixed together.  I'll have some avocado on the side.  (Kroger had to sub butternut squash for zucchini because they must have ran out.)

My mood today is pretty good, like I'm going to be productive today & less brain-foggy.  We will see how it goes!

Good lord, sweet potatoes are amazing and it's horrifying that they gave you Yukon Gold instead! Next order, I'd definitely make a note of that in the little box they provide, saying that you're asking for sweet potatoes/yams and to please double-check they're getting the right thing! I also have no idea how on earth butternut is a sub for zucchini, but okay :P I usually give my order-filler plenty of details on what I expect and what subs are okay... hrm, they probably either love me or hate me!

For the sore throat, have you tried just gargling a few times daily? warm salty water typically helps with my sore throat symptoms fairly well, if I catch it before I've started coughing. Hopefully you'll have a quick recovery, regardless of the cause!

I ate too much at lunch and I'm feeling a bit tired and I want to take a nap.  I didn't explain yesterday about eating my veggies...  Yes, I finished them, but to make it easier, I cut up compliant deli meat and put it into my large bowl of cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and coconut oil.  So much more yummy that way.  

Day 10 continued.  For dinner, I had butternut squash spaghetti with ground turkey in the sauce and it was delish.

My husband and I are rewatching Venture Brothers (after kids go to bed).  It is one of my husband's favorites and even though I'm not into adult cartoons, I enjoy it because it is hilarious.  I wish he had watched the first 2 seasons of The Handmaids Tale with me so we could watch the 3rd season together next!  Oh well.  He read the book and said he wasn't interested in the TV show.  But we did watch all of the original Veronica Mars episodes back in the day so I know I can convince him to watch the new season!  Man I love doing nothing but laying on the couch watching TV.  I recently got a pedometer and found out my mostly sedentary life is only supplying me 3,000 steps per day.  Thats like walking to my car and back 3 times.  Well, not quite that bad, but I feel guilty for not working out.  Maybe when I get half way, Day 15, I will start setting up time to exercise.

Oh, I sure do love a good tv show! I watched the first three episodes of Handmaids Tale - Wow. Intense. I really want my husband to watch with me, but it's all so disturbing and I don't think either of us have been up for that. Instead we watch comedies like Schitt's Creek or Jane the Virgin which are both pretty funny. I think my biggest bad habit is just sitting down on my phone or the computer. It sucks up a crazy amount of time to check Facebook a kazillion times. And all that time could be spent doing something else. That pedometer of yours sounds like a good way to build awareness. Great job getting to day ten!

I prefer roasted veggies to steamed ones, any day of the week... especially stuff like broccoli and cauliflower. If steamed is my only option, I end up tossing on a lot of seasoning :D

Handmaid's Tale has intrigued me since it was first introduced on hulu, but I've admittedly not watched a single episode. I've had other stuff I watch, but just haven't gotten myself to sit down and spend time on it because it requires me to watch while kids aren't around... and that time is limited at the moment. Maybe I'll start it sometime after the kids go back to school.

Speaking of pedometers -- I need to get myself one, or a cheap activity tracker, or something. My husband has decided that he wants to get into Disc Golf, and my youngest wants to film him... which means I'm walking around behind them, trying to make sure I don't break an ankle while keeping up with the 9-year-old and preventing her from dropping her tablet. It's great exercise, lots of walking, but tiring and I feel like having a number of steps would somehow make me feel more accomplished than my sore feet and aching calves!

@Emma- I loved Jane the Virgin.  I think Jane the Virgin & Hart of Dixie are my favorite TV series on Netflix!  I also liked Season 1 of Crazy Ex Girlfriend, but then the show got too weird.

@Jihanna- Great job getting all of that walking in!  The pedometer I got was from amazon for $23 which is a bit expensive for something that isn't "smart technology", but oh well.  I like it.  It is the 3DFitBud Simple Step Counter.  You have to reset it each day or else it will keep counting your steps.  I like that I didn't have to calibrate it and measure my steps with a ruler...it just works out of the box. 

So, I did some googling of things no one wants to hear about, and I found out I'm likely not getting enough fiber in my diet :(  I was perfectly fine with how things were going in the bathroom, but apparently I lack some "umph" in certain unmentionables.  So, I have to think on that and decide how I'm going to fix that.  It wouldn't exactly be breaking the rules to count fiber grams, but it's a bit of a no-no to track calories and all of that during the Whole30.  I wonder if I could change the settings of MyFitnessPal to only show fiber?  I think that is possible????  I will have to check.  I know fiber is really important (might be controversial, but medical/research community overall seems to think this) so I don't want to go the rest of my 30 days without enough.

A quick google search said broccoli, brussel sprouts, raspberries, and blackberries are high in fiber.  Not sure how high relative to whole grains, though.  More research is needed, or I will just start tracking my fiber.  I have broccoli and brussel sprouts in my fridge, but I haven't cooked/roasted them yet.  I have big plans to roast them into deliciousness.

Breakfast today was a failure in regards to the meal template, but oh well!  I had 1/2 an avocado, a banana, and some almond milk.

I didn't pack ANYTHING for lunch except an apple, so I'm going to order a salad sans-dressing from Applebees today (using order pickup) and probably get a side of broccoli.  I have my bottles of balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil at work.  The chicken thing is a little confusing.  Should I be okay with Applebees chicken?  I think yes.  If I go to Applebees AND the health food store to pick up a baked chicken breast, I'm going to be stressing out that I'm using my whole lunch hour running around.  So I'm just going to relax about eating take-out restaurant food today.

Dinner today will be the rest of the left over butternut squash noodles, no-sugar pasta sauce, and ground turkey.

I'm going to my mother-in-law's house for her birthday with the kids this weekend (without my husband because he works on the weekends).  This is going to be my first test to see if I can be compliant traveling and staying at someone else's house that is filled with sugary treats and help-yourself snacks.  I'm going to pack a cooler of lettuce, veggies, compliant turkey deli meat, and I'll have to think about what else.  I've done this in the past at my mother-in-law's house a few years back when I was eating clean, and whether or not they think I'm crazy bringing my own food, they mostly just ignore it and ask politely if I will be eating what they will be having for supper and when I say "no, thank you, I brought my own" they continue to be polite.  So I know I don't have to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed- but I still can't help feeling like a little bit of a weirdo eating my salad while everyone else is eating a wonderful, delicious meal cooked by my chef-tastic father-in-law.

Wish me luck!

Oh!  I forgot to mention that I in my dream last night I was eating a handful of M&Ms and my husband gave me a weird look and I felt guilty so I threw away the rest of the M&Ms.  It was a REALLY weird dream where I was taking a high-speed train (that the US doesn't currently have that I am aware of, but I took one in Japan and it literally made my cheeks flap/move when the ride started).  I had to take the next train after we heard that the previous train got into a major accident and people died.  Then I got stranded at the place I was dropped off because I missed the last train to go home.  I also lost my money and I was searching everywhere in my backpack and purse.

I must have been thinking about trains because I was watching the HBO show "Girls" last night.  Yes, it's a show with a gross sense of humor, but sometimes highly entertaining when I just want to "relax". In the episode I watched last night, the main character Hannah took a train to see her grandmother on her death bed (pneumonia), then the grandmother miraculously got better, Hannah came home, and right when she got off the train she got a phone call that her grandmother died of a heart attack and she needs to come back "NOW".  This character doesn't have a lot of empathy, and she said to her mom on the phone, "I just stepped off the train and I'm back in the city!" and she looked disappointed that she had to get back on the train to go all the way back to her family's house.  And that was the end of the episode.

On a positive note, the sore throat that I had the past 2 days disappeared and I can swallow without pain today.  I wonder if it really was those walnuts...

I ordered Applebees for curbside pickup and I find my order quite funny- but at least I didn't have to scramble this morning to try to come up with something when I was running late for work. :lol:  

1 x Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Salad

• No Balsamic Glaze
  • No Breadstick
  • No Lemon Olive Oil Vinaigrette
  • No Dressing

Like I said, going to add my own dressing...

Strange food dreams were pretty normal for me during my first round. I constantly would wake up and go check the kitchen, just to make sure I hadn't actually had ________ and crammed it down my gullet while everyone else slept. It was usually stuff I wasn't even buying, but I checked the sink and trash anyway, just because.

I didn't deal with fiber issues during my rounds, but all veggies are rich in fiber and eating so many of them really made sure I wasn't missing out on anything like that. PaleoLeap has a good article that discusses getting fiber in a grain-free diet, which might interest you:
https://paleoleap.com/where-do-you-get-your-fiber/

It took probably 2 weeks for my bowels to really get into the groove of clean eating. After that, there was a routine of sorts, which included having a couple of mugs of coffee (or other warm drink, but coffee worked best) to help keep things going smoothly.

Day 11 just about complete

For dinner with my butternut squash spaghetti and meat sauce, I ate about 3-4 servings of roasted broccoli myself, and then proceded to eat fresh strawberries and blueberries.  My stomach feels like it is going to explode.  However, I'm going to see "Once Upon A Time..In Hollywood" tonight in the theaters, and I'm very sure I will not be tempted to eat or drink ANYTHING while I'm there.  :D

16 hours ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

Oooooo!! I want to see that movie so bad! Please let me know how you like it! 

The butternut squash sounds great! I'll definitely give that a try. 

Everyone was kind of falling alseep next to me in the theater and I was thinking to myself that the movie was made for  55+ year old celebrities...actors born in the 1950s or 1960s would be the target audience in my opinion.  I did enjoy the last half hour when everything was tied all together.  And I think it was worth it to see because of the great actors in the film, and it was a great to see how it was back in the late 60s (before I was born).  Just maybe wish I would have rented it.

Day 12

I'm at my in-law's house with the kids.  For breakfast, I only ate a banana and some (compliant) hashbrowns before we got on the road.  Better than nothing!  I almost forgot to eat.  It was a 3 hour trip with 1 stop.  I honestly feel like lounging the rest of the day.

I brought a cooler of some food and for lunch I made myself a romaine lettuce salad (a huge amount of lettuce), 1/2 avocado, a whole can of tuna, extra virgin olive oil, and a very small amount of balsamic vinegar.  On the side I had a few strawberries and I am stuffed.  Being stuffed is very helpful since there are mini candy bars everywhere for the taking at this house, in candy bowls.  I can do this.  I can do this.  I can do this.

For dinner I brought left over ground turkey and a few yukon gold potatoes.  Somehow I'm going to combine those (maybe cube and roast the potatoes with carrots).  Sounds delicious to me.  Put in a bowl and mix warmed-up ground meat in it.

End of Day 12

Did not eat any candy, pie, cookies etc. at my in-law's house!  Stuck to Whole30.  I just have to keep this motivation going tomorrow because we are going to celebrate my mother in-law's birthday tomorrow.  First birthday party of my Whole30.  I got this!

I have a higher risk of heart disease because of my lupus.. which is a major reason that getting healthy and losing weight needs to be high on my priority list.  I found a Harvard medical school chart that shows foods to help with inflammation...I try to take everything with a grain of salt because next year they could totally find out they were wrong about one food or another...

I wonder what Harvard would have to say about coconut oil.  I mostly get my fats from olive oil and avocados, but I eat plenty of coconut oil too.  The diet they recommend is Meditterranean diet. I might try to add quinoa and brown rice to my diet when I am done with the Whole30 and I am reintroducing foods.  I'll see how my body reacts.  Because I have an autoimmune disease, I want to be gluten free and mostly processed food free for life.  That is so much harder in practice than writing it, but I know that if I repeat the Whole30 once or twice per year, I can stay on track. This is so I can be around when my kids get married and have kids... I have to take care of myself.  I have to.  I can do this.

Foods that fight inflammation-infograph.png

Archived