Amy's Whole 30 Log Starting July 15, 2019

Amy_Michigan

@Amy_Michigan your first sentence says "...it's been hard so far this weekend...." 

All the more reason to keep going, and not stop at 3 weeks!

I'm a Whole30 newbie (only 4 days in), but not new to other programs like this (Paleo AIP for example). I had those same thoughts. After a few weeks I felt like it was easy peasy, and so I stopped paying attention, stopped logging meals, stopped checking in.

I stopped following the rules 100%.

Then one little cheat food slipped in during a particularly horrendous period. I didn't even care. No big deal right? Except it opened the door for more of those foods all the time. Then I was right back where I started. :(

If you struggle with the program during your period, which is a major trigger for most women,  then maybe it's better to stick with it until you have that dreaded week figured out. 

Just a thought :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, terlyngil67 said:

Then one little cheat food slipped in during a particularly horrendous period. I didn't even care. No big deal right? Except it opened the door for more of those foods all the time. Then I was right back where I started. :(

If you struggle with the program during your period, which is a major trigger for most women,  then maybe it's better to stick with it until you have that dreaded week figured out. 

Just a thought :)

Thank you so much for this!  Just when I truly needed it, too.  I saw the corn tortilla chips in our kitchen and started craving chips and salsa so bad. 

You are completely right that it is better to play it safe or else I would risk derailing myself and sending myself right back to the beginning.  I have made a lot of progress...I just feel lighter both physically and mentally.. I think I was weighed down with the guilt my unhealthy choices.

I have a big problem with following the meal template on my period, and I'd rather only eat one large meal a day, along with a couple of mini meals and fruit.  It is a weekend thing too.  So many hours to organize and figure what to do with myself and 2 kids...so that also makes it tougher.. but as long as I follow the rules of what I can eat and not eat, I feel successful.

Day 21

It is now the month of my daughter's birthday, which means major birthday planning for her party (3 weeks away) because I'm one of those crazy party planning moms.  She will be turning 7, and she is currently missing her top front teeth.  Super cute.  I have tried all I could to contact parents from her class last year, to figure out addresses to send invitations.  

It is also the month before school starts, which also makes me really crazy.  I want to make sure they have their school clothes (summer, fall, winter, spring), shoes, gym shoes, spring/fall jackets, winter jackets, scarves, hats, gloves, winter boots, etc and it is only August.  I ordered way too much on amazon and other online shopping so I know I will be receiving way too much cardboard to deal with this week and having to return a lot of it because I went overboard.  I already know I'm returning winter coats because I tried their old ones on AFTER I ordered new ones and their old ones still fit.  I don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed.  I love buying new clothes for my kids.

Yesterday I ate horrible, but I ate Whole30 foods.  I had a banana for breakfast.  For lunch I had fruit, an Rx bar, and Applegate Farms turkey breast deli meat.  I ate the whole package of the turkey.  For dinner I made frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave and added some other microwaves veggies (carrots and broccoli) and added salt and ghee.  It tasted so bland.  I did not feel like adding chicken to it.  I probably ate my fill of protein for lunch.

I'm still not exercising, which is a little disappointing, but I know the Whole30 is about focusing on eating clean foods first.  And if it is hard/stressful, you shouldn't really add much more to your plate in terms of "extra" Rules/goals.  I think I've read that anyway.  I will eventually get there.  But I'm not ready, especially not THIS week.  My HELL week.  I like that- I think I'm going to use that @terlyngil67.

This morning I had a banana, an Rx bar, and a clementine.  I brought a huge bag of chicken salad ingredients but I was too lazy to prepare the salad this morning.  I will have to make it soon for lunch.  I brought chopped romaine heart lettuce, grape tomatoes, cooked chicken breast, baby carrots, and cucumbers.  For dressing I brought extra virgin olive oil and my balsamic vinegar.  If I eat a big salad like that for lunch, this is going to be a good day for me.  I bought a lot of veggies from Kroger yesterday, so I'm ready for the week!

Haha - I bought two big beautiful cabbages last week to use for slaw and it never happened.  Maybe today!  I was not so balanced in my eating yesterday. I have this suspicion that we would both benefit by cleaning up our act and eating the suggested mini meals (fat, protein, veggies) instead of just compliant ingredients and sweet fruits. I had some apples yesterday and they were SO delicious, but I didn't actually eat near enough veggies which would have given me the energy and taken off the hunger edge.

I love back to school also and the new school clothes and new school supplies. We also have birthdays coming up and I, too, love planning the parties so I'm in the process of that. It's such a fun creative outlet! But hard to have a birthday at the beginning of the school year. Hard to get ahold of parents. Hard to find a date where people aren't out doing their last camping trips for the summer. And hard to fit it all in!

And if you're not feeling the urge to exercise - don't! Not yet. There's plenty of other things you're grappling with and what we don't need on our shoulders is MORE and certainly not more guilt. Eating healthy and focusing on that is a BIG deal and worth your focus.

Day 23

I have been posting less, and also less concerned about food choices.  My energy is dragging and I've been sleeping terribly.  My "hell week" of my pms/period is over and I need to build up my energy again.  I called around to bike shops today to see which one could tune up my bike and have the quickest turn-around time.  I also bought a bike rack on amazon prime, not that I will be able to figure out how to install it on my car... we'll see. I have this idea to go bike riding with my kids the last few weekends of summer before school starts, and continue into the fall if they like it.  I haven't rode (or is it ridden?) my bike for a few years, though, and it feels very strange and definitely needs some TLC at the bike shop.  It has been through a couple of moves since I last took a ride.

As for food choices...my breakfasts have been standard recently- just an Rx bar and a banana.  Not the best, but I also haven't been feeling like eating much.  Lunch yesterday was chicken breast from the health food store and... oh yeah!  I picked up some horrible paleo tortilla chips from the health food store.  Yes, I would consider tortilla chips to be SWYPO (not in line with Whole30 program) but they taste horrible so it is a literal chore to eat them.  I guess they are a little less horrible with salsa, but not great.  The brand is Siete and the ingredients are cassava flour, avocado oil, coconut flour, ground chia seed, sea salt, citric acid, lime powder, and lime oil.  The lime powder is like the worst ingredient ever because it stings my tounge when I put a chip in my mouth.  That's what I get for breaking the spirit of the Whole30 I guess.  Not tasty at all and so not worthy of the "SWYPO" label.

Dinner last night was a baked sweet potato mashed up with ghee and ground turkey kind of mixed in.  When the sweet potato ran out, I threw away the last few bites of ground turkey because the thought of eating that by itself disgusted me.  I tried to eat some avocado, but the kind I got was maybe a different type and it was dripping wet inside the avocado which freaked me out and I threw most of it away.

Today was the same breakfast as yesterday, I ate two chicken breasts, as well as a few horrible lime powder tortilla chips.  I forgot the salsa at home as well as all of my fresh veggies, so I will have to eat up some carrots and cucumbers tonight before they go bad.  Along with another baked sweet potato and ground turkey.

So, technically, I only made it to Day 22 without breaking rules.  I just looked it up and "The rules are clear: No sex with your pants on during the Whole30."   

So, it was a definite Whole30 no-no, but I'm still going to post until at least day 30.  I'll probably add a note at the top of my posts with the disclaimer that I am breaking the SWYPO rule.  And I'll probably start from Day 1 again after my bag of disgusting and expensive lime powder chips run out.  

Forgot to mention that I have had terrible back, shoulder, and neck pain last 2 days, along with headaches.  I think it is stress related.  Also could be lupus related - unsure.  Will probably go away after a couple of days.  Also, some light exercise might help.  It was surprising that my headache was so stubborn that it didn't go away with 2 tylenol and a long shower last night at 2 AM.  Finally got to sleep around 4 AM and got up at 7 for work.  :(  Therapy tomorrow.  If therapy is what is making me more stressed out, I'm going to quit.  Willing to give it a few more sessions though.

1 hour ago, Amy_Michigan said:

So, it was a definite Whole30 no-no, but I'm still going to post until at least day 30.  I'll probably add a note at the top of my posts with the disclaimer that I am breaking the SWYPO rule.  And I'll probably start from Day 1 again after my bag of disgusting and expensive lime powder chips run out. 

You've had a rough go of it lately. Hang in there! I think you're doing great, especially working so hard to stay compliant despite feeling yucky! I hope you get to feeling better soon!! ((Hugs))

To top the day off, my bike was so broken and the frame dented during our last move, that the bike shop said it would cost as much to repair as buying a replacement Trek bike and he couldn’t guarantee the frame was safe anymore because of the damage it took.  So I sadly left the bike there at the shop and held back tears.  Ugh, at least I’m getting therapy material for tomorrow in case I come up empty and have to break awkward silence. 

Oh Amy - You really are having a rough time of things. And the bike frame - ugh, what a drag that you didn't need. You sound like your hormones and energy and physical body are all just out of wack and maybe so since you just had hell week. You're staying compliant which is huge, but along with therapy and maybe some tears, I do think your body needs a few really good well rounded meals under your belt. Well, and maybe some sleep and a lack of pain - those things aren't so easy to control. Do you realize you are on day Twenty THREE! And now you're done. It's pretty fantastic that you've got three solid weeks behind you - kinda like hiking up a miserable hill and you've got the first part DONE! I so hope you aren't dealing with pain tonight and are able to sleep and tomorrow goes more smoothly.

11 hours ago, Emma said:

You're staying compliant which is huge, but along with therapy and maybe some tears, I do think your body needs a few really good well rounded meals under your belt. 

It is so funny that I expected "30 days" to be so "doable", and so predictable, but then each of those 30 days are unique and challenging in their own way, and you can't really have 30 days in a row that go perfectly without rough patches of family life, job, etc.  Yes, it is true I have messed up with SWYPO & an Applebees salad that I was too lazy to research whether sugar was added to the balsamic dressing... but overall, I'm still with it even if my meal plans aren't "meal template" perfect.  I've been grazing a bit... like this morning I didn't have any leftovers except chicken breast so I just ate a chicken breast plain and an apple.  Where was my veggie and fat?  Maybe I would feel better if I had really dug into my fridge and figured out something I could do to add these 2 things to my breakfast.  Maybe by Day 30 I will figure it out better.  Practice makes perfect.  I'm not giving up on myself.  :) 

Amy, I don't even know what to say. What a crap-tastic time you are having. First, I will commiserate. When I had my period on the W30, I felt like I wanted to curl up in a ball and wither away. It is a struggle on top of everything you already have to deal with. Wouldn't it be amazing if we got to skip our period while on the w30? That would motivate the hell outta me. But alas, we are cursed. You got through it though! And the first few days out of that hell week can be just as hard. 

I agree with Emma on the meals. Sometimes, just eating something I don't loathe for dinner can make things better. But I get not the not feeling hungry. Those days are tough to muscle through. I do feel like a few good meals, can help with the energy. 

I hear you on the posting less too. I have gone 2-3 days where I slack. I have to force myself to get back to it. Not just to vent, but because I have found a lot of strength in the support of all of you guys and your comments. It makes me feel good/better. Even if you just jump on and type "I am really struggling guys!" Send a little note in a bottle online, and let us support you. 

Mentally, I know you will bounce back. I would tell the therapist that you feel like the sessions might be stressing you out more, and see if they can offer some insight there. But it could still be good to go weekly and do a mental dump. I don't alway like to subscribe to therapy having to "solve" something. Sometimes, I think it just helps us get to a level of acceptance. And I think that's ok. 

I am the queen of stewing in my own negativity. I am a super pro at it. But since I started to read the You are a Badass book, I have had some food for thought. The main thing being, that what I put out "into the universe" if you will, is what I am going to get back. It seems totally simple in the self help book kind of way, but when I am having a tough time and wallowing it does seem to double back on me. Like a landslide. I am going to have to make a serious concerted effort to want/make something happen. Easier said than done ABSOLUTELY. But maybe since you are having a tough time of things, it could help? Or maybe I am just full of it. The jury is still out on that one. 

At any rate, the bike thing stinks. Maybe you could find a used one on craigslist or something? 

I am sending all my good thoughts and intentions over to you right now. You are strong as hell, and you will get over the slump!! You are achieving things most people cannot even fathom!

44 minutes ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Practice makes perfect.  I'm not giving up on myself.  :) 

Well you'd best not give up on yourself! You are doing great and it's getting through the unexpected chaotic exhausting moments that build character and a sense of pride. I woudn't fret too much about the salad dressing or the chips, but I'd use them as learning lessons. Heck, you didn't even like the chips :) . And the grazing. I hate the grazing. I'm a Queen Grazer in my normal life and I'm noticing in this new normal, that I quickly pick up my Queenly ways when I haven't had that veggie laden plate. The protein and fats are my strength :)  You're here. You're doing it. You're moving forward. All things to feel good about.

Day 24

Thanks everyone who reads my posts- you have been incredibly supportive.  I actually felt like I needed a mental health day so I requested PTO today and just relaxed.  And I called in sick to therapy too.  Not quitting...I just think it was too much too soon.  A lot of emotions get brought up in there and 7 days is not very long to reflect and loosen up from the experience.  I’m going to request every other week I think.

The birthday party venue (a nature center) let me know this week that sampling their soil found some heavy metals and they are going to do some remediation/construction and cancelled our birthday party on the 24th.  They said they could set it up for us to have it at their partner venue, the children’s museum instead.  When I told my daughter she literally cried.  So every place is booked now so we will probably have to go to the museum we’ve gone to a few times that she doesn’t like anymore because she is sick of all the same exhibits and most are either for younger kids or older kids, not 7 year olds.  Oh well.  What am I going to do at this point?  All that money to have it at a place no one in our family would have picked.

Breakfast was chicken breast and an apple.

Lunch today was Applebee's.  Instead of a salad I ordered the 6oz sirloin steak, steamed broccoli without the butter sauce, and the roasted red potatoes.  I checked ingredients this time and everything seemed “clean” so I will just hope I don’t get a reaction tomorrow.  

Dinner was smaller, like a mini meal.  I chopped up a few slices of Applegate farms roasted turkey, mixed in primal kitchen mayo, and mixed in sliced cucumber and halved grape tomatoes.  It was a quickie turkey salad, and it was yumtastic.

That is really lousy for the party. Like totally lousy. 

But your day sounds good and you sound a lot better than this morning.

And your meals sound good.

Glad the day moved along, even if it wasn't terrific.  

It sounds like your rest day was much needed and deserved today, good for you for taking it. Taking time to reflect is totally important, I agree! Sometimes things need to sit before we can process them. 

I second Emma - the day moved along and you held it and your family together, even if it wasn't what you had planned/hoped. 

Day 25

breakfast- none 

lunch- huge container of mixed fruit (berries, melon, grapes) and a big salad (cuc, hard boiled egg, lettuce, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, evoo/balsamic vinegar)

dinner- Applegate farms turkey breast mixed with compliant mayo, cuc, and tomatoes.  And my paleo chips.  Yup-not whole 30 compliant, even if the ingredients are.  

Got through the day...all I can really say.  Also, my kids are so cute.  My 4 year old son asks every night, “Will you rest with me, momma?”  And I say of course and I sit down on the floor next to his bed and lay my head next to his pillow for a minute or two.  Really I have so much to be thankful for, even if a lot of the time during the work week I feel so stressed.. My husband says he is going to make spending more time together a priority and we are all going to the park together in the morning which should be fun.

10 minutes ago, Amy_Michigan said:

My 4 year old son asks every night, “Will you rest with me, momma?”  And I say of course and I sit down on the floor next to his bed and lay my head next to his pillow for a minute or two.  Really I have so much to be thankful for, even if a lot of the time during the work week I feel so stressed..

It's so hard having little ones. It's so wonderful, but it's also so hard being tired and drained and never getting head space for yourself. And then work and relationships....there's a lot on your plate. But also a lot to be thankful for as you said. Have you ever tried doing a gratitude journal? I never have formally, but I try noting what I'm grateful for at start or end of each day.  Hahah - I haven't done that for a while, but I do try to build it in and I think it gives me warmer memories of some of the tiny special moments in a day.

You're doing great! Have fun tomorrow morning!!!

Day 26

breakfast: the rest of the leftover chicken breast

lunch: 2 fried eggs and a large baked sweet potato with ghee

dinner: wasn’t very hungry..just ate some Applegate farms deli meat and an apple

Geez, did bad today so I will have a multivitamin.  Will try to do better tomorrow...  There is currently a five pound pork loin in the slow cooker and it has been in there the last 12 hours smelling up our apartment with the most wonderful aroma.  Can’t wait to eat it tomorrow!

Bought a brand new bike today.  I need to make plans to ride it now :)

13 minutes ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Bought a brand new bike today.  I need to make plans to ride it now

You bought a bike! That's super exciting. The hardest part is getting on it and going. Now I'm thinking how fun it would be to wake up and go for a bike ride. Laughing. You know that's not gonna happen!

And you didn't do so bad eating today. Your lunch was great and totally working the Whole30 template. AND, you have a pork loin in the works. That's some good brilliant planning!

I bought some BBQ sauce from the store listed Whole30 approved and it is pretty yummy mixed in with my pork!  Definitely going to need to look up some other pork recipes though.  I need to eat A LOT of pork over the next few days LOL.  Hopefully my kids will like pulled pork sandwiches..I bought some buns for them.

@Emma, I didn't see your post until this afternoon, but I did wake up and the first thing I did with my kids was go for a bike ride!  It was beautiful outside and honestly so different to look around the beautiful apartment complex from riding on my bike.  I had no idea how much it could change and improve my mood to ride around instead of walk around with the kids!  I'm so happy.  I just need to keep that up!  Like you said, it is hard it keep doing it.  Whether it's gym, bike riding, etc... definitely challenging to get up and go.  My kids like to bike ride though, so I will get plenty of opportunities on the weekends before the snow falls.

Day 27

Breakfast- Banana

Lunch- Pork & whole30 BBQ sauce, baby carrots, sweet potato and ghee

Dinner- Thinking about having a pork salad with some sort of dressing that I still have to figure out.  Mayo mixed with BBQ?  Who knows.  Going to think on it.

Dinner was "da bomb" for my family because I bought them burger buns and let them have some of my BBQ pulled pork in sandwiches.  I also made them some baked beans.  I will admit- I was more than a little jealous!!!  And of course, my 4 year old son only picked at it and said the pork looked like "wood chips" and my almost-7-year-old daughter with her teeny tiny quarter-sized stomach ate a few bites and said she was full.  At least my husband appreciated it.

For me, I ate more sweet potato with ghee & more pork & whole30 BBQ sauce.  So, I kind of ate sweet potato and pork all day, as well as a WHOLE bag of baby carrots, but oh well!  That was the sort of day it was.

Archived