Starting July 16!! Successes and woes!

Beckha99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scoakley13 said:

In all of my years of Whole30'ing and Paleo, I've never found a sugar free Italian sausage. I buy a pound of ground pork and use my own spice blend. And when I say 'my' I mean Mel Joulwan's. 

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/04/07/spice-world/

I keep a little bottle of the mix on hand at all times. Good stuff! 

That's very similar to the recipe I used to make Italian sausage on the weekend! I left the sugar out: https://www.nonnabox.com/homemade-italian-sausage-recipe/

It was delicious!!

Thanks for the recipes! I am going to have to try them. It's is too bad my family just doesn't like ground beef in sauce. It was funny yesterday I drove out of my way to check whole foods. I even asked the guy working the meat counter. I said asked if they had a list of ingredients for the sausages. First, he looked at me like I was nuts (and this was WHOLE FOODS you'd think they get that question a lot!), then he said "No, but what are you looking/not looking for it to have?" I said grass fed, no nitrates, no sugar...Then he interrupted and said "Yeah, no, all of the sausages have sugar." Oh well. 

I did find some on the simple grocer website, but they require a minimum of 8 items. And at almost 14.00 a pound, I just can't do it. We are a military family! Who can spend 14.00 a pound on sausage? NOT ME!! I am really hoping these recipes do the trick! Thanks All!

Day 16 (yesterday) and day 17-

I find that the more energy I have the more I am doing. Which means by the end of the day I am exhausted. I had another really bad headache last night. There wasn't anything different other than how much I did yesterday (WAY more than pre W30). So it is kind of a double edge sword. I am not tired during the day so I get a lot of things accomplished. But when I am really tired and cranky at the end of the day, I am saying to myself "WHERE IS MY ENERGY??". I know, I know, I used it which is great, but still makes me feel meh. I have to keep telling myself it will get better. 

I did my normal 3 mile walk yesterday, but I decided to try to run some of it. When I first started running I felt like an elephant looks when it runs. My body felt so damn heavy. And my breathing sucked. It was a hard hit to my ability to be positive because it is the same 3 mile loop I have run for 2.5 years, but it was so difficult to run even a tiny portion of it. I mean In April I was still doing 6-7 miles. But now 200m feels like an eternity. I am so bummed. My thought after I started walking again was "How the mighty have fallen.". But then more I thought about it, I was laughing because I thought "Mighty? More like "How the slightly better than mediocre have fallen.'" 

I hate getting old. If you stop doing something even for a very short period of time, your body acts like it has never done it before. I am talking days. It seems like I have a very long way to go to get to where I want to be. I need to trust the process, and know that it won't just take 30 days. It will take consistency over a longer period of time. 

I did buy the You are a Badass book. I have only gotten through the intro, but I am hoping it will help me connect things. We shall see. Off to get the kids from school! Half way through the week folks! It's hump day!

image.png.824244b1b4f4b4b1780b6a32f65142ee.png

On 8/6/2019 at 4:58 AM, scoakley13 said:

In all of my years of Whole30'ing and Paleo, I've never found a sugar free Italian sausage. I buy a pound of ground pork and use my own spice blend. And when I say 'my' I mean Mel Joulwan's. 

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/04/07/spice-world/

I keep a little bottle of the mix on hand at all times. Good stuff! 

OMG! I was totally skeptical, but I made it tonight and it was delicious!!! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Day 18-

Well thanks to some awesome whole30 members, I was able to make my own sausage for the spaghetti (squash) last night. AND it was wicked good. Even the husband said so. And there are leftovers, so double bonus. I was really thinking it was going to be gross because homemade sausage? Ew. I guess it is just another realization on this journey. For some items I have a preconceived notion that it would taste better coming from the store. But after not having the sugar for several weeks, it is easier to enjoy the TASTE of real food. Sugar just seems to be something to make our body think it is something tasty, when really it is just the sugar we crave. Like a ninja that sneaks into all the food we eat. It's everywhere, but half the time we don't even know we are consuming it. 

Anywho, got a lot done yesterday. Swam, walked, did a bunch of errands including the commissary (military on base grocery store), all kinds of things. When I am on the whole30 it is funny how little time I spend even doing my "big grocery" trips. I was on the last aisle of the store and noticed my cart was only 1/4 of the way full. Normally it would be totally full. I can tell how much extra garbage we eat. 

I was super tired when I got up this morning. Last night, I had more energy than I have had the previous few nights. It made it a little harder to fall asleep. I got 6 hours, but it felt like 3. I would really like to get into the 7 hour category, but I am not sure that is going to happen. I was thinking at this point I should have pretty steady energy right? It still seems inconsistent. I hope that evens out as well. 

I did my walk already this morning and incorporated some jogging. It still feels like I have concrete weighing my feel down. UG! My body is frustrating the hell out of me!! 

I am going to try my best to stay positive today in everything. I hope it works. 

8 minutes ago, Beckha99 said:

Sugar just seems to be something to make our body think it is something tasty, when really it is just the sugar we crave. Like a ninja that sneaks into all the food we eat. It's everywhere, but half the time we don't even know we are consuming it. 

A total ninja. Those really delicious pork rinds I purchased at Costco and was thrilled to have discovered the perfect Whole30 movie snack.....sugar ninjas hiding in all the crevices.

I haven't branched out into any of the Well Fed recipes because making all the spices was too exhausting, but then I was reading the article connected to that recipe and thinking maybe it's time to branch out in my culinary appreciation. I can't survive forever on garlic and coconut aminos. 

Steady energy - maybe just hope for steadier ;) I feel like I have steadier energy, but if I had a video camera of my day, I'd see a lot of time sitting down to do Very Important Things (eg. Check in on Whole30, Facebook, Headlines, Emails, Double check those emails, maybe triple check...). But I'm still up and doing or sitting and enjoying more than I was.

And you're walking and jogging - concrete and all! You've already started off the day super well and done the hardest part (I think). The rest of the day isn't near as important (haha - says I who frets about this all the time)

9 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

When I am on the whole30 it is funny how little time I spend even doing my "big grocery" trips. I was on the last aisle of the store and noticed my cart was only 1/4 of the way full. Normally it would be totally full. I can tell how much extra garbage we eat. 

Haha, makes grocery shopping a lot simpler with a more direct, cut and dry food list.  Get to avoid almost all of the aisles.  I just thought of how fast my trips have been when I read that in your post.  

I hope you reached your goal of staying mostly positive today.  You are doing great, and I love reading about how you are putting work into achieving a healthy lifestyle with exercise and sleep.  Keep it up!  :) 

Day 20-

So 10 days to go. I have been trying a little to let the day numbers blur together so I don't pay too much attention, but I always still know. So the last few days have been busy with school and sports, etc. Thursday night we had a back to school night at my daughter's high school. On the way there my husband and I got into another fight about left overs. The day before he took the whole30 spaghetti sauce I made, and put it over the kid's regular spaghetti noodles. Why on God's green earth would you do that??? At least put the sauce in separate container, so that it can be used on either the regular noodles, or the spaghetti squash. He didn't understand why I got so upset. I told him this is the third freaking week of this and I have repeatedly talked to him about it. So yes, I maybe didn't use a normal conversation voice, but a loud irritated yelling voice. I said I feel like no matter how many times I talk to him about it, he just doesn't listen to me. Ug! So frustrating. I honestly can't tell if I am just being ridiculous and harping on the same things. That is how many times we have had this discussion. 

Moving on...Friday was good. Walked early, ate a really quick breakfast (piece of compliant b'fast sausage, and an apple with almond butter), then went to visit a friend who has a 2 year old and 6 month old twins. After that it was straight to pick up my son from school. An hour later went to pick up my daughter from practice. I was waffling on dinner. I was going to do a chicken curry soup, but my husband said chili sounded better, so we did that. I was pretty tired so I went up to bed around 930p. I read for a little, and then was so tired, I just turned out the lights and went to bed. I got 8 freaking hours of sleep last night. I slept hard too. It was pretty amazing. 

Early morning today with coaching basketball games, and getting my daughter off to a birthday day/night with a friend. Now it is noon, I just finished what will be my b'fast/lunch. I have my crockpot going with carnitas for tonight. I feel pretty together today! 

I will say that I am having a hard time when I go to the grocery store. I look at things and think, I would love one of those. I can't call it a craving because I am not thinking about it before I see it. I don't like it. As I close in on the final 10 days, I want to be able to walk past bad for me stuff and not even pay attention to it. That is not happening. It makes me think I am going to royally screw up after it is over. I think we will end up taking a few days off when we visit friends, and then starting another whole 30. So it won't really be the whole 60 because there is a few days in between, but it should still be good. Plus, I need a few egg free days. Seriously. 

Ok off to Sprouts to get some of my compliant meats. I am hoping I convince myself to walk today. I always have a fear that if I take a day off, I will stop doing it all together. Have a great weekend everyone! Stay strong!

Yay for great sleep!!!!  Good luck with getting your walk in!  I don't really have a problem with the grocery store too much, because I know as soon as I am done with my Whole30, I am adding in dark chocolate with at least 85% cacao.  I don't need anything else in my life- I'm a chocolate girl.  I read on facebook about a girl that did an "almost" whole30 for 6 whole months except for very dark chocolate and she lost like 100 pounds.  I think that could work for me- haha.  I'm especially going to try not to add back in alcoholic beverages, because before my whole30 started, I realized drinking beer was causing me major inflammation and lupus issues.  

Sorry to hear all the meal planning and your whole30 foods being swiped from the fridge is causing you frustration.  And eggs.  I really don't understand why you feel like you need eggs everyday, but I remember back to my first whole30 and that is what I did and it really kept me on-track.  However, if it isn't realistic for you to eat eggs each morning after your whole30, why do it now?  Really, it's up to you, but what are your plans to replace eggs once your whole30 is over?  Sorry, I can't be much help with suggestions.  I don't make enough food to have leftovers for breakfast.  After my last Whole30, I got in the habit of making sweet potato soup (puree) and add cooked chicken breast into the soup.  The soup is made with coconut milk.  It is DEEEELISH,  So I guess I ate that for breakfast A LOT and is my best suggestion to replace eggs.

Here is the recipe.  It is slow cooker/makes a lot, so it lasts at least half of the week.

https://paleomg.com/sweet-potato-basil-soup/

When I got sick of that I would switch over to this puree with added chicken instead.

https://paleomg.com/ginger-carrot-soup/

On 8/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, Beckha99 said:

I will say that I am having a hard time when I go to the grocery store. I look at things and think, I would love one of those. I can't call it a craving because I am not thinking about it before I see it. I don't like it. As I close in on the final 10 days, I want to be able to walk past bad for me stuff and not even pay attention to it. That is not happening. It makes me think I am going to royally screw up after it is over. 

I'm so with you here; it's happening to me too! And like you said, it's not even something I'm craving but once I see it, oh my gosh! It's been really overwhelming, and I've also been really worried about messing up post- Whole 30; so, I'm really going to try to be methodical in my reintro plan and am hoping that'll keep me from doing something (or eating something) I'm not ready for.

Hang in there! You got this!!

You slept eight hours! That's awesome. I hope tonight goes just as smoothly!! 

Partners don't seem to "get it" unless they really understand how important this is and how necessary their support is. Hopefully this time he'll hear what you're saying. And if it wasn't so much harder and time consuming to make things, it wouldn't matter if others used it up. Which reminds me - I have some bbq sauce in the fridge I should use up tomorrow!

Peace out

Day 22-

What the what?? I can't believe it is day 22. I am torn between so excited that I can see the finish line for this round, and freaking out about what I am going to do after day 30. Next Tuesday is supposed to be my last day. I am thinking I will just keep rolling through to Saturday, working on some reintro. Our anniversary is on Sunday, so we might have some wine. Then back at it again that Monday thru Friday. We are going out of town for Labor Day, and I am a realist. There is no way that weekend will be compliant. I don't need to be swimming in a vat of cheese while shoving oreos down by throat, but everything being complaint at my friend's house is not gonna happen either. I am ok with that. Then I will start again the next Tuesday. It is a good plan, but I am afraid I am going to just say screw the next round and lose it. HOWEVER, the thing that I think might help me is how I feel after not eating compliant for several days. Kind of like when you drink too much and the next day you say "I am never drinking again!". I think my body will shout louder than my brain on this one. Let's hope anyway. 

So let's talk about lunch. Saturday I had a pain in the butt game time. It was 10am. It was also picture day so we had to be there at 915a. That meant that after sleeping in a little, I knew I would have to eat b'fast after the game. I was ok with that. When we got home it was 1130/noon before I was able to eat. I had 2 eggs with sautéed veggies, salsa and 1/4 avocado, 1 sausage patty, and 2 little hash browns (all compliant). Does that sound like a ton of food to anyone else? I don't know sometimes. So since I ate around noon, I figured that would be brunch. I had a snack of apple with almond butter.  Then I would just eat dinner (carnitas). It seemed like a solid plan, but at dinner I ended up being really hungry. So I feel like I ate more than usual. 

Same sort of situation happened on Sunday. Lateish breakfast around 11am. Apple almond butter snack, and then dinner. Dinner was Thai curry chicken noodle soup. I ended up having 2 bowls because again I was hungry. Then I looked at the nutrition info and it said a serving had 560 calories!!! I know I shouldn't look too much at calories if I am eating clean, but 560!!! Plus, I was still hungry and had about 2/3 cup of cashews!! I felt guilty about it the rest of the night, still do to be honest.

Good news is I realized that I HAVE to eat lunch. I can't skip or it affects the rest of my food for the day.  Bad news is I feel like I can't tell if I am eating too much. I think it is the start of the freaking out of the last week of the program. My breakfast is always similar 2 eggs, sautéed veggies, 1 sausage, hash browns or a small bowl of fruit, and 1/4 avocado. Lunch is a smaller amount of the previous night's dinner. And then dinner is usually a normal serving of whatever w30 recipe I make. I am seriously hoping that the being more hungry lately was because of the few days of missed lunch. Otherwise, why would I want to eat MORE now? 

I have still been walking my 3 miles a day. I took a break from swimming Friday-Sunday because I don't like to fight the increased numbers at the pool. My feet have been hurting A LOT!! Mostly the balls of my feet and the bottom of my heel. It has been several weeks since I started walking. I don't know why they are hurting so bad now. I have to keep walking though. It is a part of my OCD where I feel like if I stop doing something, I won't ever start again. Even if it is only a day. A lot like I feel about W30! My brain has some serious issues with some things. 

OK well hooray day 22. I need to go walk before my client's come get their dog, so I am off. I hope everyone has a great day!

3 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

I had 2 eggs with sautéed veggies, salsa and 1/4 avocado, 1 sausage patty, and 2 little hash browns (all compliant). Does that sound like a ton of food to anyone else? I don't know sometimes.

No... it sounds fairly reasonable, compared to the stuff I'd usually do. It's not at all unheard of for me to make a big frittata and down the whole thing -- 3 eggs, half to whole potato (baked and chopped up), and 2-4 cups of additional veggies (varies since some veggies are a bit bigger than others, like broccoli compared to spinach), plus half an avocado. Maybe my meal seems huge to some, but that's definitely a killer day-starter for me, and gives me energy to get through the next 5-6 hours before lunch, so it works :D 

Since you note that the size of your breakfast was nearly twice what you're used to eating, though, I think it's worth mentioning that we're definitely affected by hormonal changes... and our hormones can definitely get knocked a bit out of whack due to changes in diet. My first round start coincided with the start of my period, but then my next one happened later than expected (nearly 2 weeks if I recall correctly). Some others have experienced theirs arriving earlier than expected. (A few are lucky and see no change in the timing, so aren't taken by surprise! haha) Anyway, it could be something hormonal that's causing you to eat more... or it could be the result of several days running with no lunches and/or delayed breakfasts... either one can certainly have a noticeable effect :) 

Thanks Jihanna! I am usually a big fan of eating more at breakfast. I like to not feel hungry until lunch time as well. There are not many whole30 type snacks I enjoy, so I would rather just not eat anything. 

I am not due for my period for another 1.5 weeks, but it may definitely get thrown off. I can see that as a possibility too. I hate when hormones affect what I eat. Prior to whole 30 my appetite definitely would go nuts about a week before my cycle starts. So I guess it being a few days early might be it! 

23 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

HOWEVER, the thing that I think might help me is how I feel after not eating compliant for several days. Kind of like when you drink too much and the next day you say "I am never drinking again!". I think my body will shout louder than my brain on this one. Let's hope anyway.

I fear that my body will say, "Let's take this horse and run with it" just like smoking a cigarette would lead to me buying a pack. There's no way I'd ever smoke a cigarette again because the addiction happens so quickly, but I don't know which of the foods I can just abstain from to remain addiction free. Or maybe if I catch myself right away and clean things up, it won't be so bad. But a warm gooey vat of cheese does sound good. With oreos! And Halloween is coming up!  Maybe I just need to be really, really mindful when I eat those other foods to try to assess what it is that makes me lose control. Sigh. 

So, I don't think it sounds like you ate an excessive amount. Even at 560 calories, if you added up all your calories for the day (which of course we wouldn't on Whole30, but if you ballparked it), you're not anything excessive - especially given that you are busy all day and walking three miles. Cashews might add to higher numbers, but nothing seems out of balance and I think it's okay to eat as you want and till your body/mind says it's done.  Everything you're eating is healthy and everything we are eating is leading to more organized eating patterns and habits. It's cool how you can see the need for lunch, and now maybe the need for an earlier breakfast.  

And feet - ugh - sore feet. I have sore feet, stiff ankles, and sore knees. Try stretching your hips and butt muscles? For me, those big muscles seem fine, but stretching them seems to give more room for the little ones down my legs and feet to loosen up and relax. That, and writing out the abc's with my feet which I'm semi doing while typing. Take care of your feet though! Better to give them a break than to end up with plantar fasciitis!!

You're on Day 23!!! Pretty dang awesome we are :)

Day 24-

Is that right? Whoooopppppeeeee!!! 

Feeling pretty good today. I was definitely groggy when I woke up this morning, but I got the kiddos to their respective schools. It is supposed to be pretty warm today 85-90s, and I had a client coming at 10am, so I went for my walk right after I dropped my son at school. When I got done, I went straight to swim. So I was all done with my exercise by 945a!! I really hate it hanging over my head, and if I don't get it done before noon, it is too easy to talk myself out of it. 

So today is my daughter's first field hockey game. That means our schedule just got a little crazier. It was nice when it was just her practice from 3-5pm at her school, but now we are looking at games at least 3 days a week, of which half are away games. I think in a normal place that wouldn't be too bad, but with SoCal traffic it will be a pain. More so because some of the games are at 5 and 6pm. So we are looking at 30-40 minute drive times each way, and 1.5 hours worth of game.  That makes it really tough to plan for dinners. Ok it is a whole30 nightmare.  After my few days break I want to jump right back in to the whole 30, but I am freaking about having enough time to make compliant dinners. Hopefully I will be able to plan ahead, but it is not my strong suit. I hope I can keep this going. I don't want to go back to where I was. It scares me. 

Ok. So happy thoughts. And don't make fun of me!! You know what one of the best things is about getting healthier and losing some weight? SMALLER BOOBS!! I am sure there are a lot of chicks out there who want bigger ones, but not this chick! My boobs are my fat-o-meter. When I get big, they get ginormous. I hate it . They are such a pain in the butt. They make my back and shoulders hurt. I prefer a smaller chest any day of the week. As I am typing I looked down, and I was like "Hell yeah girls, shrink up!!" I can tell a difference and it makes me so happy. I am sure most of you didn't need to know that, but it is my log and that is a NSV for me.

Well, with that amazing thought, I am off to Costco. I am hoping to get out of there before I go nutso! For all those in their last week, WE'VE GOT THIS!! For those just starting, keep going it does get better!!! Happy Hump Day!

image.png.fb90cf68ebb01154716c8ab1a6ae5c1b.png

I hear you on the boobs. I just tried on one of my old bras and it wasn't ready for me....but one day!!!! And the photo comparison I looked at today - wowzers - they were big.  The shuttling of kids and not having time to prep food is really hard!!! Last night I was really thinking about how my biggest priority is me and my health and so I need to make sure that I take care of my Whole30 needs first. Ha. I did not do that today and so far I have no brilliant plans for tomorrow when I'm gone from 8 - 8, but Friday, I plan to do some make ahead prep. Even hard boiled eggs with a sweet potato and almonds or olives would suffice! We can do this and we are feeling better and it is worth it and the fear of going back to what we were like is probably something to listen to and heed. Now I'm thinking I should cook up some meals quickly in the morning so that I have a big tupperware to haul around with me all day.

Have you ever had Nom Nom Paleo's Garbage Sink? - sounds terrible, but it's tasty and super easy if you have the ingredients (cabbage, onions, ground beef/bison/lamb, and madras curry sauce). We have a cabbage and one onion so you have now talked me into trying to cook my dinner in the morning.

We do got this!!!

OMG you know, Whole30 is the ONLY time I've lost weight and my boobs have shrunk?? They usually stay huge and I look like a flippin' manga cartoon! I'm thrilled, because I can fit a DD for the first time in over a decade and wear NORMAL BRAS!! AND PRETTY BRAS!! 

Phew. Sorry, haahaa I really do get your excitement!!!

Day 26-

Ok. It is Friday. With 4 (5 including today) days left in the round. I am still worried about the end/reintro. Since I don't really have any food issues, I am not too concerned with the reintroduction of most foods. Sugar though. Sugar. Ho hum. Always an issue. Not like I am eating a ton on purpose, but it sneaks into a lot of things. I was thinking just starting with my coffee and creamer. I used to put a very tiny bit of sugar in my coffee too, but I know if I haven't had sugar in awhile it would be too sweet. So it will be just coffee with the creamer which just has cinnamon and "natural flavors". My husband asked if I was going to go back to coffee after next Tuesday. It is a happy morning comfort to me. I like it. I also feel like it isn't going to do too much damage. Who knows though, maybe it will just not be the same and I won't like it now. We will see. 

My body is tired. I went to bed early last night around 945p. That was lights out. I slept for 7 hours waking a few times. My back is hurting. More sore than anything. This week I have done my 3 miles everyday but 4 of the 6 days will be the run 1 minute walk 2 minutes. It is sad that just going from walking to that run/walk has really impacted how sore/tired my body feels by the end of the week. It is a process, so I am just hoping for it to get easier little by little. Even if it hurts which it does. Speaking of which, I need to go and do it today before it gets too warm/sunny. Man the sun can make a terrible difference some days! BRB...

Ug. Worst run/walk ever. Well since the last worse run/walk. My body is even more tired now. I still need to make breakfast. I did have some nuts before my run too. I am feeling really bloated for some reason too. I guess I am a few days away from my period starting, but bloating sucks no matter what it is from. I am hoping it is better this month than it was last month, cause that was sucky. 

I am struggling to find anything to say right now because I am reoccupied, so I will try again later. Happy Friday everyone.

Oh, I hope it's good having coffee back. I like when I don't drink coffee because I feel a bit more even, but I like coffee in my brain.  You are doing a really intense job at the exercise which is great, but I'd say stay focused on the food thing first. This is, you know, my issue trying to prioritize all the things, but I think the healthy eating trumps the other stuff and if you're getting really tired and sore, maybe a little less would help prevent injuries or exhaustion. Or not - if you've got it, you've got it and keep doing it. I think my period is coming around and it's why I was so grumpy the other night and my dreams were crazy and why I was so restless last night - talk about crappy sleep. If yours is happening soon, I hope the process is smoother. Last month sounded miserable. But I am glad you're here and hope you're feeling a bit better this morning!

Day 27-

Oh man. I woke up today with the freaking best of intentions, even if my back was a little sore. I woke up before the alarm I set for 730a, got dressed, fed the dogs, and went out for my 3 miles. Today was just walking because I have been tired and achy with the extra exercise. It was nice and cool mid 60's perfect time for a walk. Our game today wasn't until 11, so I figured I could walk, shower, and have enough time for a nice breakfast. The walk was fine. When I got back the dogs also wanted to walk. Ok, a little irritating on the timing, but let's do this, right? So I took 3 of them out on our .3 mile loop. They were pretty annoying and kept tangling the leashes and running in 3 different directions.

When I got back, I was not in the best mood to begin with. I had left the one dog we were watching who is blind, and doesn't do well on the walks. When I got back in the house, I noticed that the blind dog hoovered 2 cups of the one of the other dog's food. My husband had been sitting at the kitchen island playing on his phone. For some reason, the eating of the other dog's food made me lose my sh!#. So I was verbally letting lose, and the husband is still sitting there just looking at me. And then it got real because he said "You're totally blowing this out of proportion, and creating drama." Um, what? Even if that was the case, why in the hell would you say that? Maybe it isn't just that particular thing that got you to this point, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back my friends. Insert,

image.png.433b4931edc1582caa885beb6cec51b4.png!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I went berserk!!!! I mean I can lose it, but this one was absolutely ridiculous. I was screaming and yelling, and then finally when I did the stomp away, I started sobbing like a freaking baby. I had been part way through getting my breakfast together. So, no breakfast. I laid on my bed for 20 minutes, then got in the shower to get ready for the game. No longer speaking to my husband. After my shower, I ate an apple with almond butter because I knew I had to eat something. 

Fast forward to the game, and things DID NOT improve. From the start I knew I was still in a mood. Then the refs started to get on my nerves. BIG TIME! We played the best team in the league which was unfairly stacked with players. They didn't just beat my kiddos, they humiliated them. It. Was. Devastating. My son who is 10 mind you. Lost his junk in the middle of the game and was on the verge of tears for the entire second half. 

Now, you may ask why I went into all that detail, even if I was just venting. Here is the thing. I think that sometimes when you throw questions out into the universe, the damn universe B!#5h slaps you with an answer. Last night I was reading stuff on the forum. There was a lady who said she had done 3 whole30s, but quit every time around her period at 27 days, 15 days, and like 7 days. I was like man, my period makes me tired and achy, but what would make you quit at 27 days? Now, I am due any day. Today funny enough is day 27. Guess what I really wanted to do today????? I know the whole30 can throw off your cycle and everything, but this was crazy for me. I normally get a little cranky, bad cramps, and very tired for the day before and the first day or two. I have NEVER been so irritable. Ok let's call a spade a spade...I was ANGRY. I have never had mood issues like this. It is almost scary how everything was setting me off. I did not like it!!! So yeah, I can see how maybe PMS or a period could do that now. 

Also, it seems like the whole30 makes a lot of women's periods worse in some way or another. Shouldn't it be better? I guess I will have to call it the "hot dog theory". When I thought the w30 approved hot dogs would taste better b/c it didn't have any of the nasty stuff in there, but in reality they were just gross. It seems like it should make periods easier across the board, but that isn't reality either. 

Some happy thoughts....hmmm. I tried a new recipe last night for Salisbury steak meatballs. Holy heck it was good. We made it with mashed potatoes and side salads. It was like a regular meal. My family told me I can make it any time. That is a win! 

It was a crazy day. Not my favorite day of the whole30. It was more like another  version of "kill all the things". I am glad I didn't give in. 27 days is not 30. 3 more days. It will continue on after that  in some form or another. I am just not sure exactly how that will look. Happy Saturday all.

Your post is wonderful and so good and honest and real. I'm getting my period as well which I think explains the crazy grumpiness I had the other night as well as my horrible fitful sleep last night. There are some other things, but nothing too extreme. This one is certainly chiller than last month and really, I'm rather tickled they are happening because my 50 year old body has been transitioning and when I do good things like cut out processed foods, I find that things return and steady goes the ship. I guess I'm the ship in that analogy :)  The hot dog theory is kinda funny. I still think there are good Whole30 hot dogs out there. What brand did you eat?? I want to make sure I do not pick them up. And it is weird that the periods are so intense, but maybe it's also that they are no longer as muted and squelched by everything else. Maybe there is a transition back to a good smooth monthly cleansing that requires going through a bit of a bumpy road trip as the hormones figure out what's what. I am very in awe of just how much my cycle is impacted by changes such as cutting out coffee or eating Whole30.

I'm super glad you're not quitting and you didn't give in and you made it through today. Oh - and hey - will you share the Salisbury steak meatball recipe?

8 hours ago, Emma said:

I'm super glad you're not quitting and you didn't give in and you made it through today. Oh - and hey - will you share the Salisbury steak meatball recipe?

THANKS! I feel mostly that my PMS mood is worse. I am still waiting for my actual period to start, but lord almighty the anger and irritation!!!!

Here is the meatball recipe. Soooo good. There are a few expensive items: arrowroot powder, blanched almond flour, and the bone broth, BUT the powder and the flour you only use a bit, so you can have them on hand for the next time. There is no getting around the bone broth though. It is like $8 for a little container. PS-I used 2 lbs of meat and there were lots of leftovers which I loved!! Great job getting to day 29! You are rocking it!

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-salisbury-steak-meatballs-whole30/

Archived