LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

LadyWolf0926

Began Whole 30 on 7/10/2019, and I'm on Day 10.  So far, not too bad. I've done keto, and for me, this seems easier especially since I actually feel like I have WAY more food choices.   I know it doesn't occur that way for everyone, and I am empathetic to that fact, but I have a funny feeling the best is yet to come - lol.

Since beginning the diet, I have had the occasional headache here and there but nothing debilitating.  Almost immediately, I noticed a change in how I felt overall.    I woke up Day 2 feeling more energized for the day and less foggy, and then felt the hard crash mid-afternoon.  Then, about Day 3, the bloat started shedding.  Of course, I was also drinking more water, so the two went hand-in-hand.  I felt pretty good, cruising right along and wham-mo - it's hit me.  The "Kill All the Things" has hit me.  I woke up yesterday feeling like miss super cranky-pants.  I am completely aware of this happening, so I am working remotely right now.  No one at the office needs to be in the way of "this".  I was expecting this around Day 4 (Whole 30 Day-by-Day) but nope - it's a delayed reaction for my body.  Super.  I love the daily guidebook, tho - I feel like it's helping me mentally prep and as soon as the KATT hit, I knew exactly what it was.  The awesome part is it has come right along side some gnarly food cravings.  I mean like cravings for tortillas, tamales, Chinese dumplings or bao - it's been BAD!  So, for the Chinese dumpling/bao, I just cut off all internet access to anything that might come across as a temptation.  Videos of Szechuan dumplings in spicy chili oil are no longer crossing my feed. That's helped.  As far as the craving for Mexican, I curtailed that by making a compliant taco salad.  Lots of romaine, green leaf, tomatoes, avocado, lime juice and a serving of slow cooker beef barbacoa (topped with a dollop of Primal Kitchen chipotle lime mayo), and the craving vanished.  Cravings are a bit better today, I'm not having my mid-afternoon snack anymore, but I'm still mildly cranky.  I'm not that worried about it; I know I'll get through it.

Meal prep hasn't been too hard, and the family is mostly eating the same Whole 30 options as me for dinner; that makes family mealtime a lot less stressful.  Leftovers have been working great as a pre-breakfast meal prep.  Last night's meatloaf is this morning's meatloaf browned in ghee topped with an egg.  I'm actually surprised that, tortillas aside, I'm not craving bread or pasta.  At least not yet.  I have been able to cook french toast or a loaf of Italian bread for the family, and I've not really had a desire to nibble.  It's still pretty early on for me, I am expecting some mental push-back as I get further down the road towards the end of my first 30 days, but I have my "rescue" buddies on speed dial if I run in to any issues.

So, today - despite my cranky 'tude - has gone pretty well. 

1. Coffee this morning (unsweetened) with nut pods creamer.  I'm actually starting to like my coffee this way and am not missing stevia anymore.  I have also used Thai Kitchen Coconut Cream, and that's amazing too.
  2. A serving of beef barbacoa topped with an egg for breakfast
  3. Green leaf lettuce wraps with chicken salad and a side of blueberries for lunch (leftover chicken diced with onion, celery, lime juice and Primal Kitchen Garlic Aioli Mayo - so good)
  4. Dinner is going to be another "taco" salad like last night. It was 100% compliant comfort food, and I loved it!

Next on the list today is to clean out the freezer.  I have so much food in there that needs to be eaten, and this will help with some of the grocery bill this week.  Once I know what I have, then I will complete meal prep for the coming week and start weekly prep tomorrow morning after breakfast.  It'll be a good day for it too; 75% chance of thunderstorms all day.  

First NSV for today was my deep tissue massage therapist (who is someone I see all the time) noticing I've "shrunk" a little.  His first comment was "you look like you've lost about 15 pounds".  We talked about Whole 30, how it works, why I'm doing it, how different my body feels already, and he was so excited for me! 

The second NSV occurred as we went through my therapy session (I had a total double knee replacement 6 months ago, and this is part of rehab).  My LMT said he could definitely feel a difference in my leg composition.  I was also less inflamed.  When we first started the therapy a few weeks ago, any leg muscle he touched would about send me off the table.  Today, it still hurts, but it was WAY more manageable.  

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NSV - I finally had a good night's sleep! I wanted to go to the grocery store early, so went to bed at a reasonable hour. Slept the whole night until my alarm went off, and didn't wake up once! Feeling a little less cranky today but still fighting cravings. Upping my water intake, food prep and eating planned menus is the only way I'm going to keep from straying.  Trying some new veggies from the market this week to keep the choices interesting. 

Day 11 wasn't too bad. I accidentally stacked my errands too close together in the morning, and that caused me to have to rush thru breakfast.  I need to make sure I'm giving myself enough time to eat breakfast; that way, I'll be less likely to stray off program or inadvertently eat something non-compliant. 

The store manager at Sprouts came by while I was shopping, noticed my cart and asked if I was on Whole 30. I said yes, and I asked if she was on the diet as well. She said she wasn't but knew a lot of people who shop there are and recognized the approved items from Primal Kitchen I was buying. After chatting for a moment, she left and came back with a fresh black coffee for me. So sweet! She even offered to open a Nut Pods creamer. I was so strapped for time that I hadn't had a chance to get my coffee; it was a very welcome gesture! Love that store!

Pretty quiet day once the morning errands were done, and I still need to go thru the freezer. Definitely on the task list for Sunday!

Not feeling so hot this evening. I know my body is still adjusting, and I need to be patient, but I feel like I've eaten something that's an inflammatory trigger even though everything was compliant. Going to look at today's food ingredients a little closer in the morning and see if I can figure out what's upsetting my stomach. May be a spice I used; may just be my body detoxing. Not sure, but I'll figure it out.

Breakfast - Three egg omelette, cooked in ghee, filled with avocado and tomato tossed in a little evoo and lime juice; topped with chili flakes. Coffee black and with nut pods.

Lunch - Applegate Farms turkey burgers with uncured sugar-free bacon on lettuce "buns". Primal Kitchen mayo and ketchup. Organic white peach.

Dinner - grass fed sirloin steak with Primal Kitchen steak sauce, rainbow carrots, ghee roasted baby potatoes and shakshuka-style zucchini.

Off to bed! Looking forward to tomorrow's meal prep for the week!

Got up this morning feeling a little better but chatted with my husband about how crummy I felt last night. He looked at me and immediately said "Nuts. You had some nuts. Did you check your ingredients?" I told him no that my friend who'd brought them said they were compliant, and I'd completely forgotten about that handful I grabbed. We went and looked at the can of nuts and, right there on the label, it listed soybean oil. I should've known better; I should've checked before I grabbed that handful. My husband was playing golf when we had the snack, so he wasn't here being my lifeline (which he's taking very seriously), and I took someone else's info as my own. I screwed up.

Was it a lot? Probably not, but it was obviously enough to make me feel like crap; so, I'm starting over. Back to Day 1 today. I'm really disappointed in myself, but I have to do this the right way to make sure I'm reaping the full benefits of Whole 30.  Day-by-Day warned me about complacency with food choices, and I didn't listen. Lesson learned.

Another thing I did learn is that my husband, my biggest lifeline, is 100% behind me. He felt bad that I have to start over, but he too said that we're not going to "half-a**" it.  We're going to do this the right way. He told me a long time ago that the hardest thing he ever has to do is tell me "no", so for him to really get in my face with tough love, like he did this morning, is super hard. I get it, and he's really doing a great job!

And now we move forward once again!

Day 1 of the restart was fine. I started the Crock-Pot with a batch of bone broth and finally cleaned out the freezer. I have a lot of wild caught fish, and I'll be eating that for the next week or so. I got the week's menu planned, and since my boss is out of the office this week, I'll work remotely which means I can prep a little less in advance. Stomach has settled down, and I got my water in. I've also read every label at least twice. Energy was good today, and I didn't have my mid-afternoon crash; cravings seem like they're under control (at least for the moment).

My husband went through the compliant list of fruits and vegetables with me at dinner, and I love that he's so vested in my success! He's asking lots of questions and learning with me as I go along. 

Breakfast - Veggie omelette with a thin slice of sirloin. Side of potatoes in ghee. Coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - Slept in and ate a late breakfast, so no "lunch"

Mid-afternoon Snack - Chicken salad cup with Primal Kitchen garlic aioli mayo

Dinner - Pork loin roast, topped with peach slices sprinkled with cinnamon. A small side of spicy brown mustard. Shakshuka-style zucchini.

Getting to bed early tonight so I'm energized and ready for the work day tomorrow.

Crazy busy day today. I have to make sure that I'm taking the appropriate time in the morning to make breakfast so I'm not eating too late. I made the mistake of logging in to my laptop to check emails first thing in the morning and, next thing I know, it's 10:00. Then I'm rushing to get my meal in between conference calls, and it sets my day off schedule. Otherwise, it was a good day and I slept well! Need to start setting alarms on my phone to make sure I'm getting my water in, but that's the only area I am still struggling in. Again, I get busy with work and forget. 

Finished the bone broth and it came out good! Packed some up in the freezer and the rest in the fridge. Used it in the pan roasted chicken tonight, and the family really liked it! Despite it being 90+ degrees outside, I'm thinking of making some soup; that's how good it smelled (and tasted). I can honestly eat soup regardless of how hot the weather is, and I'm thinking of using the bone broth to make a really yummy Thai soup called Tom Yum Moo Sub. I had it when I traveled to Seattle for work last year and loved it! I'm sure I'll have to sub out some ingredients for compliant ones, but it'll be worth the effort to find the recipe!

Breakfast - omelette filled with crab red curry topped with avocado, tomato and red chilli flakes. Coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - chicken salad with onion, celery and Primal Kitchen garlic aioli mayo with tomatoes and green leaf lettuce wraps. Blueberries.

Dinner - pan roasted chicken with fresh herbs, lemon and bone broth. Pan grilled zucchini with Cajun seasoning. Carrots with ghee and a sprinkling of gochugaru. Finished with an organic white peach.

Off to bed soon. Tomorrow is another crazy busy day!

• Whole30 Certified Coach
11 hours ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

Crazy busy day today. I have to make sure that I'm taking the appropriate time in the morning to make breakfast so I'm not eating too late. I made the mistake of logging in to my laptop to check emails first thing in the morning and, next thing I know, it's 10:00. Then I'm rushing to get my meal in between conference calls, and it sets my day off schedule. Otherwise, it was a good day and I slept well! Need to start setting alarms on my phone to make sure I'm getting my water in, but that's the only area I am still struggling in. Again, I get busy with work and forget. 

Finished the bone broth and it came out good! Packed some up in the freezer and the rest in the fridge. Used it in the pan roasted chicken tonight, and the family really liked it! Despite it being 90+ degrees outside, I'm thinking of making some soup; that's how good it smelled (and tasted). I can honestly eat soup regardless of how hot the weather is, and I'm thinking of using the bone broth to make a really yummy Thai soup called Tom Yum Moo Sub. I had it when I traveled to Seattle for work last year and loved it! I'm sure I'll have to sub out some ingredients for compliant ones, but it'll be worth the effort to find the recipe!

Breakfast - omelette filled with crab red curry topped with avocado, tomato and red chilli flakes. Coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - chicken salad with onion, celery and Primal Kitchen garlic aioli mayo with tomatoes and green leaf lettuce wraps. Blueberries.

Dinner - pan roasted chicken with fresh herbs, lemon and bone broth. Pan grilled zucchini with Cajun seasoning. Carrots with ghee and a sprinkling of gochugaru. Finished with an organic white peach.

Off to bed soon. Tomorrow is another crazy busy day!

Keep up the great work! Your meals sound amazing! Making my mouth water! Kudos to you for doing this the right way, and it's amazing to learn that your husband is such a huge supporter of your decision to change your relationship with food. :)

7 hours ago, ashleyparik said:

Keep up the great work! Your meals sound amazing! Making my mouth water! Kudos to you for doing this the right way, and it's amazing to learn that your husband is such a huge supporter of your decision to change your relationship with food. :)

Thank you so much! I'm really enjoying Whole 30 and am beginning to seriously realize this is a lifestyle change, not a short term program. Everyday I'm seeing new NSV's. Some NSV's are so obvious to others that I've had a lot of friends ask me about it, and several are now joining me on their own journey. It's exciting to have such strong support from family, friends and my physicians. I know I'm on the right path!

36 minutes ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

Thank you so much! I'm really enjoying Whole 30 and am beginning to seriously realize this is a lifestyle change, not a short term program. Everyday I'm seeing new NSV's. Some NSV's are so obvious to others that I've had a lot of friends ask me about it, and several are now joining me on their own journey. It's exciting to have such strong support from family, friends and my physicians. I know I'm on the right path!

This makes me SO happy!!!! :)

Today was an extremely good day! Lots of NSV's! (1) My energy levels were the best they've been since I started. No mid-afternoon crash. (2) I slept great last night. Only woke up once and fell right back asleep. (3) Cravings are practically gone, although I think most of what I'm wanting is mental rather than physical. It's really hard to break years of a comfort relationship with food, but we're working on it ;) (4) My day was much less stressful than normal, and I was able to handle an early morning emergency with tons of patience. (5) A friend asked me about Whole 30 and was so jazzed about it, she went and bought the book at lunch. I'm her lifeline B) (6) I was much better organized today, and that's due to the mental clarity I'm feeling. I'm much less forgetful lately!

I know this was something I should've done in the beginning, but tomorrow I'm cleaningout the pantry. There's lots of old things in there that just need to go. It'll feel much better organized and help me take a good 4hard look at what we have so I'm not overbuying. Also, it'll help me clean and better organize my kitchen counters. It's so much easier to prep menus when I have a clean and organized workspace.

Today, I broke out the Crock-Pot and made Smoky Sweet Potato Chili from the Whole 30 Slow Cooker cookbook. I used jalapenos instead of poblanos and substituted ground turkey for the beef. It made the house smell amazing and even my son, who's not a chili fan, said he wanted to try it.  Its a keeper and definitely going to go on the meal rotation.

Breakfast - Crab stuffed omelette with avocado, topped with gochugaru. Side of pan roasted potatoes in ghee with spring onion Coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - Pan grilled tilapia with spicy coconut curry. Pan wilted spinach. Coconut water.

Dinner - Taco salad with Smoky Sweet Potato Chili topped with avocado and tomato. Organic white peach.

Tonight, I'm treating myself with a mini binge session of The Handmaid's Tale. Normally, I'd treat myself with something sweet, like ice cream, but we're going to break that food reward/treat habit, right? Then off to bed for a good night's sleep.

23 hours ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

Today was an extremely good day! Lots of NSV's! (1) My energy levels were the best they've been since I started. No mid-afternoon crash. (2) I slept great last night. Only woke up once and fell right back asleep. (3) Cravings are practically gone, although I think most of what I'm wanting is mental rather than physical. It's really hard to break years of a comfort relationship with food, but we're working on it ;) (4) My day was much less stressful than normal, and I was able to handle an early morning emergency with tons of patience. (5) A friend asked me about Whole 30 and was so jazzed about it, she went and bought the book at lunch. I'm her lifeline B) (6) I was much better organized today, and that's due to the mental clarity I'm feeling. I'm much less forgetful lately!

I know this was something I should've done in the beginning, but tomorrow I'm cleaningout the pantry. There's lots of old things in there that just need to go. It'll feel much better organized and help me take a good 4hard look at what we have so I'm not overbuying. Also, it'll help me clean and better organize my kitchen counters. It's so much easier to prep menus when I have a clean and organized workspace.

Today, I broke out the Crock-Pot and made Smoky Sweet Potato Chili from the Whole 30 Slow Cooker cookbook. I used jalapenos instead of poblanos and substituted ground turkey for the beef. It made the house smell amazing and even my son, who's not a chili fan, said he wanted to try it.  Its a keeper and definitely going to go on the meal rotation.

Breakfast - Crab stuffed omelette with avocado, topped with gochugaru. Side of pan roasted potatoes in ghee with spring onion Coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - Pan grilled tilapia with spicy coconut curry. Pan wilted spinach. Coconut water.

Dinner - Taco salad with Smoky Sweet Potato Chili topped with avocado and tomato. Organic white peach.

Tonight, I'm treating myself with a mini binge session of The Handmaid's Tale. Normally, I'd treat myself with something sweet, like ice cream, but we're going to break that food reward/treat habit, right? Then off to bed for a good night's sleep.

CLAPPING MY HANDS SO HARD FOR YOU!!!!!!! This is AMAZING! That list of NSV's just for ONE day is fantastic! You are absolutely in the right mindset. Keep tracking those, even on rough days. Celebrate the (not-so-small) wins- always! 

Cleaning out your pantry is a great idea. I know it can be hard to just toss things, but if you can't donate it to a food pantry or something, just throw it in the trash. I promise you won't miss it once it's gone.

I love the idea of rewarding yourself with some "me" time with your tv show. Today is international self-care day, and you are absolutely doing it right. I am proud of you! Keep it up! :)

16 minutes ago, ashleyparik said:

CLAPPING MY HANDS SO HARD FOR YOU!!!!!!! This is AMAZING! That list of NSV's just for ONE day is fantastic! You are absolutely in the right mindset. Keep tracking those, even on rough days. Celebrate the (not-so-small) wins- always! 

Cleaning out your pantry is a great idea. I know it can be hard to just toss things, but if you can't donate it to a food pantry or something, just throw it in the trash. I promise you won't miss it once it's gone.

I love the idea of rewarding yourself with some "me" time with your tv show. Today is international self-care day, and you are absolutely doing it right. I am proud of you! Keep it up! :)

Thank you! I had another NSV last night: I was able to get my wedding rings off my fingers.  I even showed my husband how easy they came off my fingers, and he was like " why do you want to take them off"? I said it would be nice so they can be cleaned properly, and he just laughed. He's such a goofball sometimes! But he then held my hand, really took a look at it and suddenly realized just how much swelling I've lost in my hands, arms, face and legs. He was really happy for me and the progress we're seeing. And the binge session was great! I really appreciate all your support and encouragement! It means so much! xx

Today was a bit frustrating. I started cleaning out the pantry. As I'm pulling things out, I'm sorting everything in to groups. Some will be kept (obvi), some will be tossed and some will be donated to the local food co-op. I think I have this in hand, and I'm feeling pretty pleased with the "compliant" foods and ingredients I'm finding in my pantry - until I start reading labels. Roasted red peppers - sugar, balsamic vinegar - caramel color, organic fire roasted salsa - sugar, red wine vinegar - sugar. The list goes on. I ended up stopping the pantry purge. There's just too much to go through, and I'm going to have to save the project for the weekend. Since there is so much, I want to make sure I'm checking everything carefully. I'll definitely throw away or donate anything non-compliant that's not being used for the family's lunches, but I want to (hopefully) minimize the damage to my pocketbook. And if I end up getting rid of it all, well c'est la vie. It's better in the long run anyway.

Then once the pantry is done, I'll move on to the fridge. That'll be a big one too. Lots of stuff in there that's "mine" I know isn't compliant. Of course, almost everything I'm tossing is in glass bottles, and our recycling company doesn't take glass anymore. That's going to be some heavy garbage bags come Tuesday pick-up!

I had a couple good NSV's today: I find I'm not relying on the scale to gauge my progress. Historically when I know I'm having good results from either training or nutrition, the scale is the primary measure of my success. Now, I'm not caring so much. How do I feel? Am I sleeping well?  How's my blood pressure? Am I cranky? Do I have a headache? Are my legs swollen?  These are things I'm starting to look at more than being a slave to just the numbers. It's pretty mentally freeing. Also, I noticed my mental clarity is really improving. I don't feel so "ditzy" and I'm forgetting much less. Especially with work, I'm feeling much more on task. 

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with Smoky Sweet Potato Chili. Coffee with Nut Pods and cinnamon

Lunch - Southwest-style baked tilapia (chipotle lime mayo with avocado and tomato) on a bed of spinach wilted with garlic and evoo. White peach.

Dinner - Pork loin roast with peach slices sprinkled with cinnamon. Pan grilled yellow squash. Roasted rainbow carrots. Ghee roasted parsley potatoes. White peach. 

Great job with changing your mentality to focus on your NSVs!  I'm still working on that since I need to lose so much weight for my health.  I found out my scale was broken before the Whole30, so I couldn't get my starting weight and that really frustrated me.  I'm trying not to think about that!  

Anyway, you are at the place I want to be in a couple of weeks...such an inspiration.  Keep it up!  And I'm totally jealous about your watching The Handmaids Tale.  I got rid of Hulu after I watched the previous season.  Probably will have to end HBO Now so I can limit my spending and get Hulu temporarily instead.  PLUS Veronica Mars new season is now on Hulu.  Another binge-watch MUST.

1 hour ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Great job with changing your mentality to focus on your NSVs!  I'm still working on that since I need to lose so much weight for my health.  I found out my scale was broken before the Whole30, so I couldn't get my starting weight and that really frustrated me.  I'm trying not to think about that!  

Anyway, you are at the place I want to be in a couple of weeks...such an inspiration.  Keep it up!  And I'm totally jealous about your watching The Handmaids Tale.  I got rid of Hulu after I watched the previous season.  Probably will have to end HBO Now so I can limit my spending and get Hulu temporarily instead.  PLUS Veronica Mars new season is now on Hulu.  Another binge-watch MUST.

Thank you so much, and oh my gosh - I totally get it! It's almost like the doggone scale had me on a leash! And I signed up for Noom, and they want you to weigh in every day. I about lost my mind with that. I still have to weigh and measure because I have so much to lose, but to not feel that constant pull from the numbers was a big deal. You'll get there too! I know you will!

Definitely get Hulu back as soon as you can. I couldn't not have Handmaid's Tale so I got rid of HBO once GoT was over and got the $5.99 Hulu. No spoilers but srsly.... you need that show in your life! So good!! I'm getting ready to start S3; can't wait :lol:

True story...... I get up this morning and, after getting the family out the door for the day, I sit down to read my Day-by-Day guide. Day 16 ( technically 5 but whatevs), and the guide starts right in on having crazy food dreams. As I'm reading it, I'm cracking up. I woke up this morning swearing I had been in Nashville with my best friend at Prince's eating hot chicken with the slaw, pickles but somehow managed to get it on a crusty french roll. It's been forever since I've had hot chicken, and we were nom nom nom'ing that chicken with zero shame in our game. Hot sauce running down our chins, and we were enjoying every bite! It was so vivid that I actually needed a moment to reorient myself when I woke up. I called my friend after breakfast to tell her about it, and she just laughed and said she could totally see us doing that. (She's on Whole 30 as well). I just couldn't believe the guide hit the nail on the head like that! Too funny! I'm going to find a way, once my 30 days is up, to make some compliant hot chicken. The universe has spoken;)!

Of course with a dream like that, I also woke up to cravings. Bad cravings. So I immediately went at my cravings with some bulletproof coffee because I knew the high fat content would derail the cravings quickly. If you've not had it, bulletproof coffee hails back to my keto days; some people call it butter coffee. The original recipe is totally non-compliant, so I had to tweak it. Coffee with french vanilla Nut Pods (to replace the vanilla extract), coconut milk or coconut cream (to replace the heavy whipping cream) and ghee (to replace the butter). I added some cinnamon and whipped it up good in the blender. Totally did the trick and it tasted like a creamy latte. Not something I would do everyday like when we were on keto, but it worked for the moment. 

The rest of the day went well. I worked on getting my water in and started getting ready for menu and meal prep this weekend. Plus my son's girlfriend is coming up for the weekend, and she's asked to learn about cooking Whole 30. No big deal but it does require a little extra planning. Back to physical therapy with the LMT tomorrow, and I'm anxious to see how my muscles feel this week. Then I have a work lunch, and I've already completed my menu recon. I feel ready to tackle the day. So ready for the weekend!

Breakfast - scallion omelette filled with sauteed veggies, topped with a little chili. Bulletproof coffee (Whole 30 style)

Lunch - taco salad (romaine salad with smoky sweet potato chilli) 

Afternoon Snack - Epic chicken sriracha bar (tasted like a chicken slim jim)

Dinner - Italian style zucchini topped with two eggs. Side of ghee roasted potatoes

Hopefully no more crazy food dreams tonight!

What a day! PT session with my LMT was longer than normal, had to go back and forth to the vet b/c one of our Maine Coon's had some dental work, lunch meeting with a carrier rep and four conference calls. I was really glad I had planned and prepped my meals in advance, because days like today can cause me to get off track very easily.

Lunch went well. I had steak fajitas with extra veggies, no tortillas, no cheese, no sour cream, no rice, no beans. The person I was with ordered the same thing and asked the server to take the fried corn chips away. It worked out great, and we were able to focus on the meeting rather than worrying about the food.

Dealing with a little headache since yesterday, and I don't think I'm getting enough water. Definitely need to get that on track.

Sleep tonight is going to be a little off schedule since I'll have to keep an eye on our kitty, but I can catch up with a nap tomorrow after I finish cleaning out the pantry. It'll also give me a chance to finish the shopping lists tonight so it can hit the stores early tomorrow. I need to get the shopping errands done before my husband goes out to play golf, and I really don't like weekend traffic in Atlanta after late morning.

Breakfast - omelette filled with sauteed chicken and veggies, coffee with Nut Pods, pan roasted potatoes, strawberries

Lunch - steak fajitas

Dinner - half cornish game hen, tomato slices, brussel sprout "hash" with bacon (uncured sugar-free)

3 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Mmm steak fajitas sound so good!  I have been failing at incorporating spices into my Whole30, but I am working on it.  I know it helps keep meals from getting boring.

The steak fajitas were pretty good! It was a nice change, and it's so funny you mention the spices! I love spices and playing with the flavors, so I got adventurous and ordered some za'atar, Aleppo pepper and ground sumac off Amazon this week. It was a little outside the weekly food budget, but I found this great recipe for za'atar chicken that looks so freaking good! I just have to try it https://pin.it/hwnysxzv4l4rkf

Meal planning and grocery shopping this morning and then got nothing else accomplished. The day was a lot lazier than I had planned or needed it to be, but after yesterday's craziness with work and the cats, I needed a little down time. 

I have started blending my coffee with my nut pods creamer. I noticed that it sometimes separates, so if I blend it, it stays nice and creamy which is a flavor profile I just need to have with my coffee. Sometimes I'll sprinkle a little cinnamon with it, too. Every now and again, I am still missing my stevia, but those cravings are fewer and fewer.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going for foot reflexology with my son's girlfriend and then a little bit of shopping before heading home to get meals ready for the week. I'm scheduled for jury duty all week, so I need to have everything ready and prepped to take with me to the courthouse in case I have to report. Grace wants to help with meal prep, and she's going to get in the pantry with me to help finish cleaning that out. It'll be fun to have a 'partner in crime' for the day.

Breakfast - coffee with Nut Pods, two eggs over veggie hash

Lunch - pan grilled pork belly with coconut aminos, garlic, red bell pepper, spring onion on cauliflower rice

Dinner - sweet potato chili on a bed of green leaf lettuce with tomatoes, avocado, mushrooms and red bell pepper. peach

Great day today! Foot reflexology was crazy amazing, and we're going to go back. Soon! Shopping was great! Neither Grace nor I are big shoppers, so we went with plan in hand and a batch of gift cards from Christmas. It was the first time since my knee replacements that I was able to walk through stores without the aid of a cane or a cart. That was a huge NSV for me, especially since the inflammation in my muscles has significantly reduced since starting Whole 30! We had a lot of fun! 

We got to working on the pantry, and it's just so much worse than I'd figured. We got a bunch of canned goods boxed up for the food co-op, and I'll keep working on it this week. I'm hoping to get to the refrigerator before the weekend.

Looking forward to another week!

Breakfast - shakshuka eggs, coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - marinated and grilled chicken breast topped with grilled onions and peppers, steamed veggies topped with roasted salsa

Dinner - marinated london broil, sauteed summer squash and zucchini with garlic and onion, za'atar oven roasted potatoes, peach

Today was Day 9 of my restart (Day 20), and it was another good day. Back in the office today to meet with the partner I work for and game plan for the week. I like the feeling of focus that I have; I can definitely tell I'm less "foggy".  Even my boss said he noticed I seemed less "scattered" lol 

My boss wanted to go out and grab lunch (specifically a gyro) so we went to this little place down from the office. We ordered, and I got a great Greek salad without feta or dressing, and the owner threw together a little shaker of olive oil and vinegar for me. I love little places like that! Anyway, my boss asked me about how Whole 30 was going, he asked about the foods we omit and why and then told me how he felt like he needed to be healthier, eat healthier, etc..... and I just looked at him, chuckled and asked how those onions rings tasted. I didn't mind that he was eating them in front of me because that salad I had was ah-maze-ing!! 

Breakfast - mushroom omelette, coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - Greek salad with gyro meat, oil and vinegar, no feta

Dinner - lemon and herb roasted chicken, sauteed brussel sprouts, zucchini, peach

Day 10 of restart (Day 21) - I'm a third of the way through :lol:!! No " tiger blood" yet, but I have a feeling it won't be instantaneous for me. I'll more than likely be one of the folks who gets it gradually and then notices a few days later. That's okay though; I know it's coming!

Discovered something today that was a bit of an 'aha' moment. Chatting with the hubs after dinner and a commercial for KFC came on. Now, we haven't eaten KFC in years, and that's because the last few times I ate it, it made me feel really bad. The commercial made me think about how bad I felt a little over a week ago when I accidentally ate some nuts that had been roasted with soybean oil. So, I went to the KFC website and checked out their allergen info and, ta da, their chicken is fried in soybean oil. The reaction I had to the nuts was similar but on a smaller scale. Nonetheless, we've discovered one of my inflammatory triggers. . I also found out KFC uses MSG in some of their foods, and that explains the headaches I got along with the upset tummy. Now the question is whether this reaction I had is limited to soybean oil because of how it's processed, or if it's all soy products. I guess we'll start finding out in a few weeks.

My sleep cycles are improving big time! I'm now consistently getting a solid 7-8 hours every night, and I am finally feeling so much better rested! I definitely have noticed a reduction in my stress levels, and my last few blood pressure readings (I check it daily) have been much better than a month ago. I'm also not feeling the mid-afternoon crash as much anymore. All good things!!

Breakfast - omelette with diced grilled chicken and veggie filling, coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - turkey burger on a lettuce bed with fresh tomato and avocado with a splash of lime, peach

Dinner - oven baked tilapia with 'creamy' veggie topping (sauteed veggies mixed with Primal Kitchen garlic aioli mayo and spread on the fish), zoodles with marinara, cauliflower rice.

Archived