LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

LadyWolf0926

13 minutes ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

I'm with you on the mustard and vinegar! I love it, and this recipe came out so good! My husband even loved the vinaigrette! I didn't think about it on cauliflower; I bet that was good! Honestly, you're my food muse!! I love reading your daily meals!! They give me such great motivation and ideas!!

Aw, thank you!! I love to cook - honestly, if I could make a living out of it I would (without having to take instructions from a head chef lol). It makes W30 so much easier!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

This. Right. Here.
My "fix" for this is to give extremely explicit instructions when necessary, lol. Things like "Check label. Must not include sugar, dairy, soy, grains, ..." and so on. Although I'll admit that for things like seasonings, I wound up opting for making things from scratch using recipes and individual spices, just to avoid stuff like that. I swear my Kroger pick-up people are extremely sweet, and whether they love or hate my specifics, they're at least nice enough to never comment to me if I made it difficult for them! :D 

You're absolutely correct! Since I had checked it online, I figured I was safe so giving instructions on the sugar never occurred to me. Like with marinara, I always state "organic, sugar free" just in case we have to have a substitution. And you're right, the Kroger folks are super sweet and very accommodating! I'm going to take your advice and be very specific next time :)

R1D16 (27) Today was every bit a Monday. I have a laundry list of stuff that just went sideways today, and it's all stuff I have no control over, so I didn't let it stress me out. I do have to work late tonight for a client in California, but that's okay; my boss is actually online working on it with me. 

I didn't sleep well last night, which was the first time in a long time. I just couldn't get my legs comfortable with the storms coming though. I'm definitely hitting the hay as soon as we wrap up our work project tonight. Still sleeping without the TV, and that's a big step for me.

I'm glad tomorrow is Tuesday, and we start planning for our Q4 travel schedule. I know I have at least two separate weeks where I'll have to fly out of state, and I'm hoping that's it. Last year, I was literally gone for 5 weeks in a row, except weekends, and the idea that might happen again is really stressing my husband out. He just doesn't like me being gone that long, and I get it, but it is my job. Hopefully I'll have reassuring news for him tomorrow evening.

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with homemade chorizo, tomatoes, potatoes, AIP Paleo Powder; coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - romaine salad with red onion, grilled squash, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, grilled steak and balsamic vinaigrette; peach

Dinner - pan seared sea scallops over lemon garlic zucchini noodles; roasted potatoes

Now it's time for me to get back to work! G'nite all xx

R1D17 (28) Today was a little rough. It boils down to me only getting about 4.5 hours of sleep last night. After I finished working, I should've gone straight upstairs to bed. Instead, I decided to hang out with the hubs for a little TV and fell asleep on the sofa. Poor decision on my part. Fortunately, I was able to work from home today b/c I really was too tired to get behind the wheel, and my office handled the scheduling meeting via conference call.  I've gotten spoiled sleeping so well on W30 that, when I reverted to my old sleep schedule, my body didn't like it.  

I didn't have a good meal plan set up today, so I felt like I was scrambling to stay compliant. I did it, but I think being so tired just set up the whole tempo for the day; everything was discombobulated. I made sure to take the time tonight to plan my template for tomorrow; I didn't like the feeling of not being prepped and ready today.

I did try something new the family really liked. My son asked for glazed carrots for dinner, which I used to make with brown sugar or maple syrup pre-W30. Instead, I used a light drizzle of date paste just to add that little hint of sweet he was looking for, and it came out pretty good. I didn't tell them what I'd used and made them guess when they asked, but they liked it! I was a little worried my 'sugar dragon' would rear its ugly head, but I was surprised I did okay. No cravings!

Off too sleep and back to the office tomorrow! It's halfway to the weekend :D

Breakfast - two eggs in ghee with two Jones sausage patties; coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - pan grilled tilapia; yellow squash; sliced cucumber 

Dinner - London broil; date paste glazed carrots; roasted potatoes

1 hour ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

I've gotten spoiled sleeping so well on W30 that, when I reverted to my old sleep schedule, my body didn't like it.  

I never knew till my first Whole30 just how nice it is to sleep full amounts and since then, I've been a bit of a warrior beast insisting on my sleep time. I still have kids, animals, and an older bladder, but I can sure tell the difference know when I don't get the amount I need. I'd never realized just how restorative it is, but gosh it makes a difference.

I liked that you used the word discombobulated. I like that word and I hate feeling that. I like Mondays because I'm generally ready for them. I'm not always ready for the other days. 

We used to make roasted carrots with pieces of date mixed in, but date paste sounds better. We used dates in our BBQ sauce and it was really good (and no Sugar Dragon issues for me either).

Hope you get a better night sleep.

8 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Please talk to me about date paste glazed carrots!!

Date paste is so simple; you'll love it @SchrodingersCat and @Emma! Take 1 cup organic, pitted fresh medjool dates and put in a blender (or food processor with a tight lid-I learned this the hard way lol) and add 3/4 cup very hot water. Blend until you have a paste. At this point, you can add more hot water as needed to get to the consistency you like. It makes a good bit, and the recipe says it'll keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Since I'm still on round, I only cook with it on occasion, so this is only the second time I've used it in my 30 days.

I sauteed the carrots in a little ghee and a splash of chicken bone broth until fork tender; I then added a 1/2 Tbsp of date paste to glaze a small bag of baby carrots.  The paste is very sweet, and a little goes a long way; it's blended so finely that it literally melted on to the carrots. Very yummy!

I was told to not add it to my coffee to replace sweetener, and I haven't; it's actually worked out pretty good, especially since I just like coffee. I won't lie; I was initially tempted but squashed that one pretty quick 

Sugar really isn't my vice, and it's not the thing I crave, so I felt okay using this, but it's very very sweet so I would just be careful with it on round. 

@Emma thanks! You're so right about the sleep, and I did get more last night. My husband felt so bad about waking me up the night before, that he actually set an earlier sleep schedule and insisted we go to bed earlier. It worked! There was a show I wanted to watch, but he said no, that'll it'll be there today and I needed to catch up on my rest. He was right, of course, and I feel so much better today. I do need to take your advice and be my own warrior beast when it come to my sleep! :)

1 hour ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

There was a show I wanted to watch, but he said no, that'll it'll be there today and I needed to catch up on my rest.

What a great support your husband was! Wow. Glad you got the sleep and are feeling better!

R1D18 (29) Much better sleep last night, and it made the difference today. I planned and prepped meals like I had planned to, and I was so glad I did. I got caught at the house on a client issue and was rushing to get to the office. If I hadn't planned and prepped, I would've really been scrambling. I've got busy work days the next couple days, so I need to get my food for breakfast and lunch ready so I'm not stressing over it.

I've had a twingy headache the past couple of days but nothing bad. Not really even enough to take meds for; just enough to be annoying. I think it's my body telling me to drink more water, so I'm going to try increasing my intake and see if that helps.

I am realizing that, if I hadn't had to restart, tomorrow would be Day 30. It's kind of bittersweet. While I'm happy I stuck to the rules and restarted, I'm really kind of ready to get into FFF.  I'm curious about what foods I'm going to find don't work for my diet beyond what we've discovered already, and I'm ready to check my weight and measurements; although, I'm feeling pretty committed that the W30 way of eating is going to be more my norm than anything. I just feel better:  I'm looking better, I'm definitely shrinking, I'm sleeping better, my mental clarity is better, I'm forgetting less, I've got more energy, my joints are less achy, my hair and nails are growing like crazy, etc etc. I just need to be patient with the process.

Breakfast - omelette with homemade chorizo, tomato, potato and onion; strawberries; coffee with Nut Pods and coconut cream

Lunch - omelette with homemade chorizo, tomato, potato and onion; green leaf salad with tomato, red onion and Primal Kitchen Caesar; strawberries

Dinner - roasted chicken breast with 'creamy' veggie topping (mushrooms, onion and red bell pepper sauteed in evoo mixed with Primal Kitchen Garlic Aioli mayo); brussel sprout hash; za'atar sauteed zucchini; peach

Off to bed soon! Sweet dreams! xx

R1D19 (30) Ah, Thursday!! One more day then the weekend and another trip to the foot reflexology salon. Can't wait! I deserve this little pampering non-food reward!

I've done pretty good this week despite lack of sleep, a crazy work schedule, a pissy boss (I didn't do it), an AM who fell and broke her shoulder in 4 places, 10 conference calls, a Maine Coon with an ear infection and poor meal planning/prep. It's weeks like this when I've historically fallen 'of the wagon' and reverted to old habits and comfort food; I stuck to my W30 and worked it out. My BFF, who's also in this with me and a lifeline, even commented to me today how she noticed I didn't fall off despite how my week has been going; she knows me too well! Lol! It would've been so much easier to just throw my hands up and go grab a Chick-fil-A something something; then again, I really didn't want Chick-fil-A. Shocking; I know. :rolleyes: I wanted to stay compliant, and I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I can adjust my work schedule to help me do just that. So, I did. I worked it out and stayed on track; I can't even begin to explain how big of an NSV this is for me.

So, I'm going to go to bed early tonight. I'm following some very good advice to be a beast warrior about my bedtime and sleep. I've got an early morning client meeting, so I need to be sure I get up early enough to fix breakfast and drink my coffee. Meal planning and grocery list for the coming week need to be completed before dinner. 11 more days until reintroduction. I've got this!

Breakfast - sausage and veggie omelette; strawberries; coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - green leaf salad topped with steak, tomato, red onion, mushrooms and homemade balsamic vinaigrette; cantaloupe

Dinner - grass fed meatloaf; brussel sprout hash; sauteed zucchini; paleo roasted potatoes; peach

3 hours ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

It would've been so much easier to just throw my hands up and go grab a Chick-fil-A something something; then again, I really didn't want Chick-fil-A. Shocking; I know. :rolleyes: I wanted to stay compliant, and I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I can adjust my work schedule to help me do just that. So, I did. I worked it out and stayed on track; I can't even begin to explain how big of an NSV this is for me.

Congrats on the NSV!  I have struggled and a lot with Starbucks before this whole30 and am proud to say that the few times I pulled through during my whole30 I either got herbal unsweetened tea or black coffee, just to feel like I’m still apart of the world around me.  I wish I had the control not to “fast-food-drive-through” AT ALL because it’s easier to fall of the wagon with the entire menu staring at me.  Keep it up- you sound like you’re getting so much out of the whole30 already, and the longer you go, the more positive things you may notice.  It will be awesome!

Also, congrats on reaching 30 days if you count the days before your restart!  You have to acknowledge how amazing that is that you have stuck with it!!  GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

R1D20 (31)  Friday went off without a hitch; perfect start to the weekend! As planned, I went to bed early and ended up being a good night's sleep despite having some really really weird dreams. Go figure. I got up early as planned, had breakfast, coffee and got to my client meeting stress free in spite of crappy Atlanta traffic. 

My typical Friday PT session was cancelled because my physical therapist ended up needing his own physical therapist. Poor guy. We rescheduled for Monday, but it worked out because I needed to make a Whole Foods run anyway and there is one around the corner from where my meeting was. I grabbed what I had gone in for, plus some compliant chicken sausage they had on a Prime deal (I must've read the ingredient labels twice). Headed home for lunch and to wrap up the work week. The rest of the workday ended up being spent on calls with our COO, who is super stressed right now b/c our AM is getting ready to be out for 3+ weeks from surgery due to her arm break. I sounded like a Lamaze coach telling her to "breathe, just breathe". (It is what it is; we'll work through it.) I wrapped up at 3:00 and grabbed some snuggles with the kitties before the family got home. All in all, it was a really good day! I planned, prepped, slept and felt like the day was on autopilot. No complaints here; I wish all my days felt this effortless. 

Breakfast - grass fed meatloaf slice topped with an egg; coffee with nut pods

Lunch - chicken apple sausage and cabbage saute; blueberries

Dinner - grass fed burger with garlic aioli mayo and Primal Kitchen ketchup; tomato slices; roasted asparagus; raspberries

R1D21 (32) Happy Saturday and foot reflexology this morning! So amazing! We've decided we're going to start going about once a month. Not only does it feel incredible, but it's got lots of health benefits too. And it's an hour long. 

After getting our feet worked on, it was off to Super H Mart to shop for some specialty items for dinner and weekly prep, and my son took his girlfriend to the food court they have on site. The food at the food court is incredible; unfortunately, none of it compliant. The kids enjoyed it tho, and I got to do the shopping I needed to without distraction. I also picked up a spice grinder so I can make some specialty spice blends. 

Tomorrow is food prep day. I have a great recipe for Vietnamese beef stew that is easy to make compliant, so that's on the menu for lunch this week. I'll serve it with lots of veggies or a salad. Today I made garlic chili paste; tomorrow we're making homemade sriracha. Gotta have our spicy sauces!

I'm starting to plan out my reintro phase. Jihanna had suggested I take it really slow to give my body time to react and reset before the next food is introduced. Some I already know, like soybean oil and milk/cream, that I'm just going to cut out altogether. Others, we'll just take it one at a time.  Once I figure out which non-compliant foods I'll be able to eat with little or no reaction, I'll still stay W30 and not make those something I eat often. I really like the way I feel, and I really don't need the other foods - especially the sugar. Now natural sugar like honey, maybe a little, but the processed stuff... nope. That's going to be a big no-no for me from here out. In any event, I'm setting a schedule and and getting excited to start that phase!

Back to getting a good night's sleep, and it's incredible how much I notice the difference now. I really went so many years not sleeping well that when I get a good night's sleep, it still amazes me!

Live PD for a little while then off to bed. I've got a busy cooking day tomorrow!

Breakfast - beef Patty with egg; blueberries, coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - pan seared pork belly; cabbage and carrots with coconut aminos; coconut water

Dinner - Thai grilled chicken skewers; yellow squash and onions; Chinese five spice stir fry green beans and pork mince; raspberries

Oh my gosh - feel free to share your reintro schedule.  I was nodding and agreeing with everything you said. I'd like to continue in this vein feeling better and eating better and I don't think I need those other foods. Your meals sound delicious as well, as always.  You could be a personal Whole30 chef in a parallel life or run a Whole30 diner. That would be pretty sweet to be able to go to! It's not in my skill set, but I sure wish someone else in my town had that vision and made meals like yours!

19 hours ago, Emma said:

Oh my gosh - feel free to share your reintro schedule.  I was nodding and agreeing with everything you said. I'd like to continue in this vein feeling better and eating better and I don't think I need those other foods. Your meals sound delicious as well, as always.  You could be a personal Whole30 chef in a parallel life or run a Whole30 diner. That would be pretty sweet to be able to go to! It's not in my skill set, but I sure wish someone else in my town had that vision and made meals like yours!

Thank you @Emma! That is so sweet of you to say! I would love to have a restaurant or diner, and my cousin (who's an executive chef) and I have talked about this so many times. The problem is the failure rate of restaurants is so high. So, he's now working at a country club in NC, and I just decided to cook for friends and family (and I do love it)! I'll be happy to share my reintro schedule with you!

3 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Hope your food prep day goes well!  Congrats on getting enough sleep.  :)  I need to start reading before bed again and drinking some herbal tea...I know that helps me!  

I'm right there with you - I read and drank some chamomile. I also moved my diffuser in to the bedroom and ran some lavender through it. Worked like a charm! :)

R1D22 (33)  What a nice Sunday! Got a little lazy and slept in past 8:00, so my morning schedule was completely off. Didn't care. I had a lot planned for the day, and I was committed to having fun with it; so, I felt like a little extra time in my comfy bed was warranted. Plus I got some kitty snuggles!

Food prep day! I started prepping my mis-en-place while cooking breakfast and enjoying the heck out of the pot of coffee I made. My kids always make sure I have a steady supply of Tim Hortons on hand. I read through the recipes twice to make sure I had everything timed to the day's schedule, and I started by cleaning and organizing my counters. Oh my gosh - it's felt so good to have my kitchen workspace back in order. I've let the family just accumulate their stuff all over it, and it just got out of control. Not anymore! Since breakfast was late, I decided to skip lunch, but that's okay. I wasn't hungry anyway, and I had calories in the coffee from the coconut milk. It worked out.  

While I was prepping everything for the Vietnamese beef stew, I had to get the beef in the marinade, and that called for me to bruise, peel and finely chop some lemongrass. If you have never smelled fresh lemongrass off the stalk, all I can say is it's aromatherapy in the kitchen. It's so fragrant and has such a clean smell; I just love it! (It also makes a wonderful tea that has antibacterial properties). After the beef had finished marinating and I started browning it in batches, my husband came downstairs from the bathroom reno and said the 'smell was calling him'! Lol! The house has smelled so good all day! So, stew is done, chorizo filling for my omelettes is ready, strawberries are sliced and salads are packed. I didn't get the sriracha made, but I can do that tomorrow after work. Mission accomplished!

The hubs and I are going to watch some Lost in Space on Netflix, and then it's off to bed. Next week is already shaping up to be a crazy work week <_< and I have 8 days to get my reintro plan in place! 

Breakfast - chorizo and veggie omelette; coffee with Nut Pods, coconut milk and cinnamon; strawberries

Lunch - skipped

Dinner - grilled steak; baked potato with ghee; steamed brussel sprouts

9 hours ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

Thank you @Emma! That is so sweet of you to say! I would love to have a restaurant or diner, and my cousin (who's an executive chef) and I have talked about this so many times. The problem is the failure rate of restaurants is so high. So, he's now working at a country club in NC, and I just decided to cook for friends and family (and I do love it)! I'll be happy to share my reintro schedule with you!

My husband and I had tossed around the idea, once upon a time, of maybe one day owning a bed and breakfast. I could totally see doing a completely Whole30-compliant menu for that, including the offering of "catered" lunch and dinner during the stay for an additional fee. It's one of those things that I figure someone would have to be happy to find out about, since Whole30-compliant means it would fit into paleo as well (just sub in sweet potatoes if the person avoids white ones).

Anyway, had to share that :D 

R1D23 (34) Ah, Monday. Pffffttthhhh :P Had to deal with the IRS today because they sent us the wrong letter. Literally a two hour phone call because we got the wrong-d*#n-letter, in which the IRS stated they were going to seize our property. Oh. My. Gawd. After I spoke with a really nice IRS agent, who must've apologized a dozen times, I'm still a bundle of nerves. If I wasn't on Whole 30, I'd be drinking, and that's saying something because I'm not a big drinker. Honestly, I was an ant's butt hair close to not finishing my last week over this, but I called my husband and best friend and they talked me off the ledge. Apparently, this letter went out to a lot of people on installment agreements, so we're not the only ones, but still.... it was a lot to handle first thing this morning not to mention being tied to the phone for two hours and having to eat my chicken and green beans cold. I'm freaking emotionally exhausted.

On top of everything else, one of our south Georgia partners decided he wants to put five of our clients to market for vision (off renewal) when we just got short staffed and are entering our busy time of the year. After this morning, I just shut my office door, threw a bunch of lavender oil in my diffuser and did some deep breathing exercises. I wish I knew how to meditate, but the breathing worked in a pinch and I didn't verbally murder anyone. I'll take that as a win.

I went ahead and left the office at 3:30 to try to get ahead of Atlanta traffic :lol: :lol: :lol: Sometimes I find my optimism refreshing lol, but traffic really wasn't too bad for a Monday with all counties being back in school. I got home in about 45 minutes and decided to bury myself in the kitchen, which is a good stress reliever for me. Normally, I'd make bread or dinner rolls, but I'm not filling the house with the smell of fresh baked bread after a day like today. Bread would've been W30 suicide. I opted, instead, to get dinner on the table early. It worked out well for me and the family, and I have spent the evening trying to get my head un-frazzled. I'm going to bed in about 30 minutes; tomorrow will be a brand new day!

Breakfast - sunny side-up egg on beef patty; strawberries; coffee with Nut Pods

Lunch - Thai grilled chicken; stir fry green beans with pork; strawberries

Dinner - citrus roasted spatchcocked chicken with pan au jus; chinese five spice roasted sweet potatoes; pan sauteed baby brussel sprouts; strawberries

Evening snack - chamomile tea with a drop of lemon oil

Archived