LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

LadyWolf0926

On 8/3/2019 at 7:58 AM, LadyWolf0926 said:

"... lies and trickery!" I love it hahaha!! And you're right; I can do it! I already told my husband to hide the scale when he gets home from work, and he asked me where I wanted him to hide it :blink: Bless his heart lol

Ive decided I'm  dropping the scales off at my mums for her to hide them, she can look after them for the next 30 days. (it feels like I'm leaving the kids at Grandma's - and that doesn't happen these days coz my "kids" are all grown up). LOL     Its great how our men support us on these experiments :rolleyes:.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@KiwiKendra it's so true! Getting the scale out of my line of sight was the best thing I could've done. I'm not running to it every day, or even weekly, anymore. That's HUGE for me, but I did feel like I was letting my best friend go when my husband hid it from me. I had anxiety for two days, but I got busy and was able to refocus and now I just don't run to it anymore. It's liberating!

Sunday Funday!!! Yay!! It's been a few days, so pardon the long post.

Braves baseball game today at 5:00! I'm really looking forward to it too! They're playing the Chicago White Sox, who we would go to see play when we lived in Chi-town. My husband and I talked about it yesterday; he's worried I won't be able to find anything to eat. We tried to look up the Infiniti Club menu online, but it's not listing any specific foods. We'll figure it out, but he had some great ideas on how I can avoid some off the processed and fried foods and still have a great meal. He's seen me feel great over the past several weeks, and he's seen me in pain from foods I've tried to reintroduce. He just doesn't want me to hurt like that. He's so sweet, and I just love how supportive he is. I'm very lucky!

I'm finally starting to feel tiger blood again. I can see why they tell us to give ourselves several days after eating sugar. It was really uncomfortable, and the swelling in my legs is starting to go away; finally!  Nothing else to reintroduce right now, so I'm going to focus on helping my son (see below).

We noticed a new NSV last night; my hands. For the past few years, I've been dealing with my hands and fingers cracking, peeling and splitting open. I was told by my dermatologist that it was an allergy I'd developed to paper. That explanation seemed to make sense, especially since  anytime I worked with stacks of paper, the condition got really bad. I've gone through boxes of Band-Aids in a month; I've had to use prescription antibiotic ointment, when they split, to keep infection from settling in the implants from my knee replacements. Last night, my husband noticed me packing up some medical supplies and said, "hey, you've not needed Band-Aids in a while. Let me see your hands". I showed him my hands, and we looked at them together. He just kept saying, "they're healed. They're healed". He's right. My hands have healed. They're soft and free of any cracks, peels or splits. I hadn't noticed before he said anything, tbh, and I can 100% attribute this to Whole 30. Of course, we're not sure what I eliminated that caused the healing, and we're guessing I would have to eat a lot of it for my hands to start acting up again. Since I'm still carefully reading labels, we're guessing I won't be eating whatever-it-is anytime soon. It's just really nice to not have my hands hurt anymore :)

Today was food prep; my son begins his Whole 30 on Tuesday. He's nervous and unsure of what to expect, so his anxiety about it is a little bit "up there". He's finally had enough of joint pain to where he's willing to try almost anything. This is going to be difficult for him for the first several days, so I'm going to help him with a little hand-holding the first week or so.

I've picked up his favorite apples, some bananas and I'm going to make him some compliant "comfort foods".  None of these are SWYPO, so I feel good about him eating these and not falling backwards. We'll closely watch anything with strong Asian flavors, since that is a huge SWYPO trigger for him, and we don't want him running to the closest Panda Express in a hunger fit. I made him some compliant breakfast sausage, and he can eat that with some baby carrots or celery with either almond or cashew butter. I ordered him some herbal tea to take the place of the vitamin energy drink he's been sloshing down for breakfast for the past couple years (I really dislike that stuff too; too many artificial sweeteners). I also have printed out a quick "fact" sheet on what to expect as far as side effects and when, like Kill All The Things, Eat All The Things, headaches, lethargy, etc, will hit him. This list is really more for me than him, so he's not blowing up my phone while I'm at work asking me why he feels like (insert here, dot dot dot), but it'll all be worth it; I'm certain he's going to get a lot of answers to what the doctors haven't been able to find that causing him pain.

Hope everyone's is having a lovely weekend!!

Recap..... Braves won!! Great game AND a bonus concert after the game with Steve Aoki B) So. Much. Fun!! It was a really long set, and he did play Boneless (which made me uber-happy)! I got up and danced in the stands with my son and his GF, and I haven't danced in years! It was a great time!

Dinner was a bit of an ordeal. We got to the stadium, and there just wasn't anything compliant, so I just went ahead and had a cheeseburger and curly fries. It tasted so good, but I'm not feeling all that great. Got a little heartburn going on. My hubs is a little worried I'll be hurting tomorrow, but we'll deal with it like we've dealt with the rest. I'll pound the fluids, flush the nastiness out of my system and eat compliant.  I'm going to sink some Tazo Chamomile Calm before bed; that'll help a lot. Plus, eating like I'm on round next week will help my son anyway, so no big deal there.

Right now, I don't care. I got to see Steve Aoki play live, and my day is made! Lol :lol::D

Wow, seems you had a great time!  Life is wonderful! :D

Fast food is not a great choice, we all know that - and that's why we are here - but I don't think one-time bad choices are what really matter.
I believe that your attitude regarding it is great. Yeah, that's what was avaliable and you ate it, you know you won't feel great but at the moment it was worth-it (actually it was more of a otherwise-I-don't-eat-anything-at-all kind of situation) and the hurting is your body reminding you which is the path you should go. Which you'll do.
I'm really looking forward living my food-freedom in  similar fashion.

We had a blast @Amura!! And you're absolutely right on the food. I could've eaten sushi (the healthier option), but something about sushi in a stadium just screams "trip to the hospital"; so cheeseburger it was! :lol:

Feeling a tad "off" today. Sluggish, headache, achy, tummy feels "meh"..... pretty much what I expected. The kids and my husband were passing M&M's back and forth last night. Normally, I would've had a few but I had no problem passing them up. I knew exactly how they'd make me feel. I'm starting to understand food freedom, and like Jihanna said before, it's going to take time.

7 minutes ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

something about sushi in a stadium just screams "trip to the hospital"

I skip buffet sushi for the exact same reason. I can't even wrap my brain around eating leftover sushi from my favorite sushi place, haha.

5 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

I skip buffet sushi for the exact same reason. I can't even wrap my brain around eating leftover sushi from my favorite sushi place, haha.

Right?? **insert barf emoji** :lol: Also, just got these from Amazon. Definitely SWYPO on round, but since I've discovered bread gives me headaches and makes me lethargic, I thought I'd give these a go for reintro. Found them courtesy of my BFF, and they're made with coconut meat, coconut water and virgin coconut oil.  What do you think? 

inCollage_20190902_101627826.jpg

52 minutes ago, LadyWolf0926 said:

Definitely SWYPO on round, but since I've discovered bread gives me headaches and makes me lethargic, I thought I'd give these a go for reintro. Found them courtesy of my BFF, and they're made with coconut meat, coconut water and virgin coconut oil.  What do you think? 

It's SO great to hear how you're doing again! And so super great about your hands. My husband has itchy red irritated hands and I see how frustrating and distracting it is. They're not cracking and open as severely as yours, but they're still scream worthy at times. Pretty dang cool for you to have that NSV!!!

Are the coconut wraps actually a SWYPO? They're not going to taste or feel anything like bread or tortillas. I think they're gonna be good. I used some egg and cauliflower crepes from Costco as sandwich wraps. They were not the same, but they were a nice way to hold some food together. I'm curious how the coconut wraps taste/feel???

41 minutes ago, Emma said:

Are the coconut wraps actually a SWYPO? They're not going to taste or feel anything like bread or tortillas. I think they're gonna be good. I used some egg and cauliflower crepes from Costco as sandwich wraps. They were not the same, but they were a nice way to hold some food together. I'm curious how the coconut wraps taste/feel???

Awww, thx @Emma!! I do miss you guys xx

Unfortunately, I think the coconut wraps are SWYPO. Pretty sure it falls in with that "Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with "approved" ingredients" rule, and it specifically mentions tortillas :( (this emoji should be sobbing, btw). I'm going to try one for lunch and make a BLT wrap. I cooked up some uncured, sugar-free bacon yesterday and have a wonderful batch of greens and tomatoes from the garden. Yum! I'll definitely let you know **thumbs up** 

Yeah, I think they definetely fall into that category, but since you have already finished your round I do not think they are any kind of big deal.
Not fully compliant, right, but if you make sure they do not become a food-with-no-brakes for you then they should be right, I think.

Also, bread. Have you tried only wheat bread?
If you are going to go compliant for a week with your son, maybe at the end or the week you can test other breads - such as rye bread, or corn flour. Making sure that they have no wheat in their ingredients.
I don't know, might be worth a try if you really miss bread.

@Emma, okay....the wraps were good but yeah.... not SWYPO (lol) They were very pliable, and I get why they're linked to the rule, but I don't see these becoming something I can't stop eating. You can definitely taste the coconut, which for me is fine; I'm looking forward to trying them for lunch this week. Rule aside, I do like the fact they're made with all compliant ingredients, tho. Should work well!

@Amura, yes.... the two breads I tried were wheat based. Honestly, I'm not really missing bread that much (except naan - I miss naan), so I'm not sure what I'll try next. I do like rye, but I don't want to buy a loaf and find out it doesn't sit well with me either (and my family doesn't eat rye) I'll have to marinate on that one for a bit. I appreciate the suggestions! Let me know if you think of any others ;)

I don't know if this would work for you, but when I lived alone I used to slice a loaf and then freeze it.  Whenever I wanted some bread, an slice would go directly into the toaster.
And if it does not sit well with you either, you can keep it in the freezer til the next time you have guests :rolleyes:

But actually, if you do not miss it, you are probably better off without it ;)

*cough* make your own naan *cough* https://www.pamelasproducts.com/recipes/gluten-free-paleo-naan-bread

As with anything else in this genre of foods, definitely NOT something to try out during Whole30... but I definitely lean more toward making my own bread-type stuff compared to relying on the store-bought stuff when I feel like a "bread" is needed for a meal. I recently bought a couple of bags of cassava flour because I'd heard (read) some fairly wonderful things about it, so started looking for cassava bread recipes and ran across naan... so had to share :) 

Edited to add: I also find that I'm less likely to over-eat bread-type stuff when I've gone through the trouble of making it at home, compared to when it's as easy to buying another loaf/bag/whatever in the store. There is effort involved when I want more, so I tend to be more calculated with when and how I eat it.

I have been baking my own bread at home for a while - and I think I miss baking bread more than I miss eating bread!

I like rye bread, sometimes I mixed in some whole wheat flour. It's way thicker than regular refined wheat bread so it's hard to overeat.
This is one of the things that make me look forward reintroduction, 'm so curious!

Archived