indulge the sweet tooth or not?

superbb

Hello,

I'm on day 5 of the whole 30, and yes been having some adjustments with getting off sugar! When I have a craving I tend to indulge it with a little bit of fresh fruit, dried fruit or dates. I am really trying to drop a few lbs, but want to know what exactly I'm suppose to do when this comes up. The substitute stuff definitely works for me, and I don't think i go crazy with it, just a munch here or a date there, but can do a little everyday for the whole 30 i'm sure. What to do? I feel like if I take it out totally I will feel really sad and have a much tougher time. On the other hand, I'm a hard weight loser. Thoughts? Thanks!

• Moderators

The problem with indulging with something sweet is you keep the sugar dragon strong and present. What really works is to eat plenty of protein and fat whenever you feel a craving for sugar. The sugar cravings tend to fade when you do this and you gain a lot more freedom in your life within a relatively short period of time. Basically, you starve the sugar dragon instead of feeding it.

I totally agree with Tom (as usual). I was an uber sugar, processed carb and fat addict before I did my first W30 over a year ago. Thanks to W30, I starved that dragon and she rarely rears her fire breathing head at this point. It was tough at first but I knew I needed to do it. I am so happy that I made the choice that I did. :)

One date has 16 grams of sugar. I would stay clear of dried fruit all together. I agree that eating protein is not nearly as fun UNLESS you are truly hungry. If I'm hungry, non-sweet stuff sounds good. If the only thing that sounds good is something sweet, then it's for sure a sugar craving. I usually try to drink some water or find something to distract myself and make the time go by. If I just can't get over it, then I have a little bit of fat (spoon of coconut oil). Sometimes, having cinnamon in a cup of coffee or tea will help me.

Archived