Newbie Starting Aug 5!

TFrank

My name is Tiffany and I'm 34. I'm doing my first Whole30 in just two weeks! I've started easing myself into it already though. I know going cold turkey would just be setting myself up for failure. We also don't live close to places with some of the staples so I've been ordering online and making trips into the next town to find what I need. I'm really nervous. I've tried to change my eating habits before and been successful for a short time, but eventually crashed. I'm really determined to make a difference this time though. I live with chronic headaches,  joint pain/swelling and high blood pressure, I'm hoping to find some relief through the Whole30. I'd really like to meet some other people to do this with for motivation and accountability.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
10 hours ago, TFrank said:

My name is Tiffany and I'm 34. I'm doing my first Whole30 in just two weeks! I've started easing myself into it already though. I know going cold turkey would just be setting myself up for failure. We also don't live close to places with some of the staples so I've been ordering online and making trips into the next town to find what I need. I'm really nervous. I've tried to change my eating habits before and been successful for a short time, but eventually crashed. I'm really determined to make a difference this time though. I live with chronic headaches,  joint pain/swelling and high blood pressure, I'm hoping to find some relief through the Whole30. I'd really like to meet some other people to do this with for motivation and accountability.

Hi Tiffany!

Welcome, and congratulations on making the commitment to yourself to better your relationship with food. We are so glad to have you here :)

Ordering online is one of my favorite things to do! Amazon is great, but if you haven't heard of Thrive Market yet, definitely check it out.

www.thrivemarket.com

Thrive has a ton of Whole30 compliant products, and is my go-to place to order food online. I hope you find this helpful.

It's totally normal to be nervous, but remember that this is a 30 day self experiment to help you determine which foods work best for you. I tell all of my clients to keep a food journal- check out Whole30 Day by Day on Amazon if you aren't familiar with it. It's a wonderful resource to help get you through the 30 days. You'll keep a food log, track your sleep and energy levels, your non-scale victories (NSV's) and comes with daily tips and tricks to help get you through your Whole30.

You have a ton of support here, so please continue to utilize the forum so we can help you! Best of luck! You'll do great!

On 7/23/2019 at 8:08 AM, ashleyparik said:

Hi Tiffany!

Welcome, and congratulations on making the commitment to yourself to better your relationship with food. We are so glad to have you here :)

Ordering online is one of my favorite things to do! Amazon is great, but if you haven't heard of Thrive Market yet, definitely check it out.

www.thrivemarket.com

Thrive has a ton of Whole30 compliant products, and is my go-to place to order food online. I hope you find this helpful.

It's totally normal to be nervous, but remember that this is a 30 day self experiment to help you determine which foods work best for you. I tell all of my clients to keep a food journal- check out Whole30 Day by Day on Amazon if you aren't familiar with it. It's a wonderful resource to help get you through the 30 days. You'll keep a food log, track your sleep and energy levels, your non-scale victories (NSV's) and comes with daily tips and tricks to help get you through your Whole30.

You have a ton of support here, so please continue to utilize the forum so we can help you! Best of luck! You'll do great!

Thank you so much! I actually have some stuff in my cart for thrive market already. I hadn’t heard of whole30 day by day. I’ll definitely be looking into that. Thank you again.  ☺️

• Whole30 Certified Coach
3 hours ago, TFrank said:

Thank you so much! I actually have some stuff in my cart for thrive market already. I hadn’t heard of whole30 day by day. I’ll definitely be looking into that. Thank you again.  ☺️

You're so welcome! That's what I'm here for. Definitely check out Day by Day- I think you will find it extremely helpful! :)

Originally I set my start date for the 5th because we are out of town for my husbands grandmother’s 90th birthday and I was worried about navigating that while on the whole30. But I’ve been eating almost completely whole30 for over a week now and I don’t want to lose that progress so I’m bringing a bag with essentials and a small cooler with us. Am I being ridiculous? I feel like I’m being a little over the top. 

There's definitely nothing ridiculous about wanting to maintain momentum when you've already gotten off to a good start! I think going into it with a plan, and a desire to keep going forward, is a great thing!

I ended up starting early. So I’m on day 7 today. I’ve not really had any fogginess or headaches worse than my norm. I did have a day or two of intense cravings, but I’m not sure if it was just the norm or if it was due to all the cookies and cake surrounding me this weekend!

Yesterday I stayed compliant but didn’t really eat well. Nothing sounded good when I was home for lunch and so I ate an RX bar and a couple strawberries. Which I regretted an hour or two later when I got hungry. 

So I'm on day 9. I'm doing okay. Everyone talks about being tired of eggs, but honestly... I'm getting tired of avocado. Which I NEVER thought I'd say. But I am. I'm not really seeing any changes yet. I haven't really had any of the side effects that I've noticed either. All and all it's been rather uneventful. Which I know is also normal and I shouldn't get discouraged, but I was really hoping to notice something by now.

10 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

If you're genuinely hungry, have a mini meal! If you're just fatigue snacky (I get that way) can you have a cup of tea?

I wasn’t really hungry and I didn’t have anything. It was more of an this is taking forever and I want to nap and then have snacks. But I’m trying to push through. 

11 hours ago, TFrank said:

I wasn’t really hungry and I didn’t have anything. It was more of an this is taking forever and I want to nap and then have snacks. But I’m trying to push through. 

I find herbal teas really helpful when you're in that snaky for the sake of snacky phase. I have tons of different flavours!

Good Morning,

I'm starting this morning, so only 1 day behind you.  I've done a round of Whole 30 before, but it was almost 3 years ago and I know I should have kept it going better.  I too have blood pressure that is creeping up, and I think my gall bladder may be going out on me.  I have a family history of that, so Whole 30 can't fix it, but it might help it until I see the GI doctor.  I definitely have acid reflux really bad, so I'm hoping that by making better choices for a month I will realize I have to change permanently.  And finally, I work for a company that has done a good bit of R&D related to microbiome and health conditions.  I am inundated with facts about how a healthy gut can heal lots of things outside of the GI system.  And they're right about their findings, it's definitely not just a fad.  I know Whole 30 will force us into a place of making good choices not just for us, but for those millions of little microbes helping us every single day.

Feel free to whine to me.  But also feel free to tell me that "this is not hard."

-M

On 8/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, Meremaid said:

How was yesterday for you?  

So sorry! I could not for the life of me get it to let me comment the other day! 

Tuesday was okay.

Wednesday, Thursday and today have been a struggle. 

I am EXHAUSTED.

I feel like I'm eating well/enough and balanced so I don't know what's killing my energy levels. But I could legitimately fall asleep at my desk right now.

How are you doing? 

Not too bad.  I'll probably crash later this evening.  Look online for a Whole30 calendar, there's a pretty accurate description of how you feel as you move through the 30 days.  It goes from "Hangover" to "Kill All the Things" to "I just want to nap" and moves through the month.  

I'm getting some good foods to make it through the weekend with plenty of options, and a Thrive order is arriving today.  I will have no excuse for any mishaps.  

Have a good weekend! 

1 hour ago, Meremaid said:

Not too bad.  I'll probably crash later this evening.  Look online for a Whole30 calendar, there's a pretty accurate description of how you feel as you move through the 30 days.  It goes from "Hangover" to "Kill All the Things" to "I just want to nap" and moves through the month.  

I'm getting some good foods to make it through the weekend with plenty of options, and a Thrive order is arriving today.  I will have no excuse for any mishaps.  

Have a good weekend! 

I know. It’s in the book too. And according to all of them I should be feeling great right now as I’m on day 17 (since I started early). But I don’t feel great. I’m going to reassess my meals this weekend and probably post some of them for opinions. Because there is no way I’ll make it if I don’t start to feel better. 

@TFrank How are you doing? Hopefully better. My first whole 30 I didn’t get the tiger blood. I was tired the entire time but that was my body healing overtime. If you are still feeling tired post here what you are eating and the moderators can take a look and make suggestions.  

I am thinking of starting, again, tomorrow. I was thinking of posting with you guys. I hope and @Mermaidare doing great. 

So I am just going to do it. I am going to start tomorrow. I have been trying to get through the program forever and keep doing excuses to not start or to stop 1 to 2 weeks through. I have competed 1 30 day and 1 28 day. So I know how to do this. I have had things prepped for months now. No more excuses. My niece is moving in with her dog this coming week and with my asthma and allergies I am going to be miserable and I KNOW this helps and is the best decision. I just need to do it and the hard line is NO CHEATS!! I have some supplements and meds that have things in it but they are meds so I am not going to use that as an excuse. I only have to get rid of a few things and my kitchen is set. I will be using the coconut secret aminos and teriyaki sauce because I test fine on it. There will be no night shades veggies, onions, garlic and the only citrus will be for my guacamole. So this is Day 0. 

My goals are to do my stat sheet with what I am taking supplements wise, the food & sleep log and I am combining that with the day by day log daily. This way I can see what I am doing when I feel shitty or great. I know the 1st week will not be relevant because of the transition phase.

I will post the day by day and food here.

Ok so I have gotten my kitchen ready and made my shopping list for tomorrow additional shopping. I have these things frozen and ready to go, tandoori & chinese 5 spiced chicken, ground beef, 2 frozen veggie casseroles, 2 different types of soup, and bone broth to start. These are the things I am thinking of making this week: frittata with bacon and veggies, cook up shrimp, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, roast sweet potato, roasted root veggies: carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, and maybe turnip, sauteed bok choy, chopped salad: carrots, celery, cucumber, radish mixed greens, caesar salad and maybe another veggie.

Here are some of my if and then:

If I am tempted to go out for breakfast to eat and read a magazine then review my reasons why then make sure I have enough protein and fat in my meal. Read helpful excerpts from the book. This isn’t hard, cravings leave in 3-5 mins. And remember I truly am the one in charge, not my cravings, would I let an infant eat cookies and drink Diet Coke?  

If I am waking by non-compliant food at work, then I think of my reasons why and keep walking by. Eat down in the closed restaurant so I am not by the food. Or if at the other job just stay at my desk.

If while working the kid’s movie event I get pizza, chocolate, etc. on my hands then wipe it off with a napkin. I need to get into the habit of this in my life instead of licking my fingers. This has definitely been the cause for me to have to restart. Also make sure I have compliant snacks so if I am hungry, I have something to eat.

If I need to grab a bite to eat because I didn’t bring enough food, then find a compliant place to go  salad bar at Ralph’s with can of tune or salad at another non-fast food restaurant, etc. side note take extra food for the day (compliant canned tuna or chicken, some extra veggies sticks, fruit, nuts, RX bar for severe emergencies only).

So here I go.

Today is MUCH better and yesterday was too. I added a little more fat and some starch and that seems to have helped a lot. 

Yes! Way to go! I’m glad you went ahead and started! I’ve been debating doing this for a year. It took me awhile to decide I could do it. I’ve had some cravings but on the whole it’s been relatively easy with the mindset of “I can” 

Archived