Am I getting a balanced diet?

Kacieleonab

Day 4.

I just started Whole30 to improve digestion and to gain an overall healthier lifestyle as well as see if it would treat occasional anxiety. The first 4 days have been great, I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms (yet) that I've heard about. I feel like my meals are good but don't keep me full for long which has allowed for snacks twice daily throughout my 12 hour shifts. After reading I realized that I should substitute my 2 servings of fruits for more healthy fats and veggies for my snack and the fat has really helped. I wanted to put what I've been eating out there to make sure I'm not missing anything and eating a balanced diet. Everything is 100% compliant and the standard Whole30 plate to the best of my ability (palm sized protein, abundance of veggies and thumb size fat.) My goal within the nest few days is to really shift into not having any snacks.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried (ghee or coconut oil) or scrambled with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms peppers, onions, etc. 1/2 sweet potato, and Reds Hot sauce

Snack: Was a banana or a half of a peach but have switched to Cucumbers or 1/4 avocado

Lunch: Spinach Salad with tuna (mixed with compliant mayo and red pepper flakes) veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers) topped with compliant salsa

Snack: 1/4 cup Almonds or 1/2 of peach

Dinner: Grilled chicken with Kale, grilled veggies (bell peppers, onions) and 1/2 sweet potato topped with franks red hot sauce.

Since Day two I have been craving items with vinegar (sauerkraut, pickles, mustard) sometimes when I get home I'll have a scoop of Sauerkraut before bed... what's up with this craving? I know it's not unhealthy as long as I'm not snacking on it too much or creating an unhealthy relationship with the food.

Another concern is Constipation... wah wahhh.

thanks for any advice!

• Moderators

It's hard to tell portion sizes but mostly this looks good. A serving of eggs, when they're your only protein, is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4. Try adding another egg at breakfast, or add some other protein if you don't want another egg, like sausage or just whatever leftover meat you have.

You might want to add some fat to breakfast and dinner as well. You have what you cooked the food in, but often that doesn't actually get eaten as it doesn't always soak into the food so it's left behind in the pan. You could add some extra oil or ghee or some mayo on the sweet potato, or have some avocado or olives on the side. For dinner, you could make some kind of sauce to go on the chicken, like a pesto or chimichurri sauce.

I don't know why you might be having those cravings, but it definitely doesnt hurt to eat sauerkraut or mustard. If you want to not have it by itself before bed, you could try adding it to meals and see if you stop craving it at other times.

For the constipation, be sure you're drinking plenty of water, keep eating lots of vegetables of different types, adding a little more fat may help. If you need to take something you could look for compliant magnesium supplements.

Thanks so much for the advice Shannon...

So is the Tuna and Chicken in the afternoon and at night not enough protein?

I feel like 4 eggs is so much, but I will try it and see how I feel. I've been trying to add more fats, I know there are some in the book, but besides avocado, what could I add to my meals?

thanks again,

Kacie

I remembering reading that the snacks should be a mini meal following the template in a mini way. I should heed my own remembering! I've been reaching for nut bars, but really I should be eating olives, carrots, and salami or olives, carrots, and a hard boiled egg.  I also wonder if your craving for sauerkraut is salt related since clean cooking has so much less salt in it than the packaged meals. I love sauerkraut and all things vinegar and all things kimchi. What I need to do is learn how to make my own, but that's not happening any time soon!

• Moderators
On 7/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Kacieleonab said:

Thanks so much for the advice Shannon...

So is the Tuna and Chicken in the afternoon and at night not enough protein?

I feel like 4 eggs is so much, but I will try it and see how I feel. I've been trying to add more fats, I know there are some in the book, but besides avocado, what could I add to my meals?

thanks again,

Kacie

Is the piece of tuna or chicken at least the size of the palm.of your hand (length, width, and height)? The meal template recommends 1-2 servings the size of your palm of protein.  You could try three eggs for a few days and see if that helps, you don't have to jump right to four.

Fats can be avocado, olives, coconut milk or flakes, occasionally nuts and seeds. It can also be things like mayo or ranch dressing or other oil or fat-based sauces or dips, like chimichurri or sunshine sauce (http://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Shannon! I'm 15 days in, I decided to follow a low fodmap diet which has greatly improved my blaoting, but my bowel movements haven't changed at all. TMI warning, I've only gone to the bathroom 4 times in the last 2 weeks, 3 of those times due to a stool softener. However, my stomach doesn't feel bad- I feel great!

28 minutes ago, Kacieleonab said:

Hey Shannon! I'm 15 days in, I decided to follow a low fodmap diet which has greatly improved my blaoting, but my bowel movements haven't changed at all. TMI warning, I've only gone to the bathroom 4 times in the last 2 weeks, 3 of those times due to a stool softener. However, my stomach doesn't feel bad- I feel great!

I slow down a lot on W30, I figure that there's just a lot less waste for my body to dispose of and so long as I don't feel like I need to but can't, I'm ok!

Ok this is good to know... my energy levels are still good- but there are days that I feel like I need to go bad, like today.. but can’t. Defiantly drinking enough water, just added ACV into my routine and ginger tea at night.. we’ll see how it goes. Overall, the bloating hasn’t returned since going low Fodmap. Praise Jesus. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Shannon,

Day 28 and still constipated. Most days I feel great- when I get enough sleep I have more energy. But the constipation has turned bad, leaving me not feeling well the last few days.

I'm still overall pretty happy with my Whole30 results so far, but this was one of the reasons I wanted to start and It's gotten worse since being Whole30. SOS.

Kacie

Have you ever tried Natural Calm? It's a magnesium supplement that I read about in Whole30 years ago and started using and has made a WORLD of difference for me. You take a half teaspoon at night and slowly increase the amount till it becomes too much which is indicated by loose bowels. I take just under that amount and Every Morning my system does what it should. Between that and no dairy, life is so much better. The only times I still have issues are if I'm not drinking enough water or eating too much dairy or (I learned on this Whole30) eating lots of protein and fats without enough veggies, but one sweet potato can turn things around completely in a good way. Congrats on being on Day 28, but what a drag not feeling so good. Constipation is lousy.

5 hours ago, Kacieleonab said:

Hey Shannon,

Day 28 and still constipated. Most days I feel great- when I get enough sleep I have more energy. But the constipation has turned bad, leaving me not feeling well the last few days.

I'm still overall pretty happy with my Whole30 results so far, but this was one of the reasons I wanted to start and It's gotten worse since being Whole30. SOS.

Kacie

Fats! Diets low on fats are one cause of constipation.

When we have constipation we usually think of fibre, but we tend to forget that water and fats are also essential.
And, as Shannon wisely mentioned before, they are something to look into when you are constipated. If  you are drinking enough water and eating enough veggies, then fats might be the culprit.

My grandmother used to say that a warm glass of water before breakfast would do the trick. If things were really bad, she would add a teaspoon of olive oil to the water.
Maybe something to try a few mornings, in case it works for you?

Archived