SchrodingersCat's "I'm useless at this food freedom thing" Round 3 Diary

SchrodingersCat

So, it appears tat a downside of doing my first round was that I have lost my tolerance for the foods that make me feel awful and I now legit feel more awful than ever because I'm eating and drinking all the things I shouldn't. 

So food prep weekend and round 1 starts on Sunday. That's right SUNDAY. Because starting Monday means I'll make Sunday a "just this last once".

Food prep will be egg, prosciutto, capsicum, spinach and mushroom cups for breakfasts (to have with spicy kraut), and a sri lankan beef and coconut curry with cauli rice (because I love this recipe).

Tomorrow we will go stock up the freezer with steaks, pork chops, chicken thighs and lamb shanks and go the veggie shop. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Schrod... I feel your pain so much!

The funniest part is, it FEELS like I've lost tolerance because I get such noticeable reactions now; but I don't think the reactions are actually any worse than they used to be, I was just constantly in such a state of systemic distress that I couldn't tell these things were causing problems. Like finding out that dairy causes massive indigestion and is a driving factor behind my eczema flare-ups, which I never would've realized without eliminating everything and then testing dairy by itself.

I'm not doing official Whole30 rounds anymore, at least not for now, but I do keep telling myself that I need to recommit to paleo and stop exercising my food freedom quite so often. I've yet to find a method that will truly work for me, but I'm working on that. We'll see.

Either way, I'm cheering you on and hope you'll find your balance soon! (((hug)))

14 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

So, it appears tat a downside of doing my first round was that I have lost my tolerance for the foods that make me feel awful and I now legit feel more awful than ever because I'm eating and drinking all the things I shouldn't. 

I'm so scared of that happening! :/ I like eating without paying attention to things and I don't really want to know that I shouldn't be eating soy products or chocolate or ????  I get dairy. I'm super cool not ever drinking milk, but I do like ice cream on occasion. And I don't even mind my body reacting, but now I'm suspecting my mood reacts too. Bleh! What are the things that aren't sitting well with you?

Welcome back to another round of Whole30 :)

I'll let Schrod answer for herself, but I know for me the issue is mostly dairy but also gluten. I have to be careful with legumes (I have to basically avoid peanuts entirely), but soy is okay occasionally. Non-gluten grains I haven't had much issue with, beyond just a feeling of being over-filled but not feeling like I've really nourished as well as I should have... or something... that happens with rice, really, so I've been limiting rice to when we go out for sushi :D

But dairy and gluten have been killing me, and I've realized that in the past 5 or 6 times I've eaten any type of bread, I haven't liked it... not just I haven't liked effects, but like I really just haven't enjoyed the taste or mouth-feel, so I guess that's a positive, sort of!

To be honest, I don't know what my real triggers are - whatever brings on my migraines is cumulative, so I can get through a whole reintro with nothing triggering, then 2-3 weeks back into eating 'normal' they're back, worse than ever. 

I think I'm just going to commit to doing this for the vast majority of the time. It's really good for me, and if it's what it takes to make me feel better, then that's what I'll do.

Schrod, if you want to try to pinpoint the migraine triggers and believe it's food... I'd suggest an adapted reintroduction like what they do for allergies. Basically, you'd get reset with compliance, then reintroduce a suspect food and eat it daily for a week or two, recording your experience throughout. Then, cut that back out for a week or two of compliance, and try a week or two with another suspect food. That way you give yourself time to build it up in your system instead of looking only at reactions that happen with smaller amounts and on a shorter timetable.

I did an extreme elimination diet a couple of years ago, where I literally nixed everything except chicken breast and white potatoes, and I only used salt and pepper for seasoning (I could use homemade broth, and cook the meat and potatoes any way I wanted, as long as I'd stuck to just those ingredients). I did that for 2 weeks, then added in one new ingredient each week (in that case building on what I had already ruled was "okay", rather than removing those foods while testing another)... but gave up after about 3 months. It was a bit too restrictive, and was taking far too long to give me the answers I really wanted. It makes me wish that I'd come across Whole30 back then!

I think that's how I'm going to have to go - I know it went away when I was in Round 1, so it must be food related! I'm off to Europe in 2 months though (squee!!) and won't even be trying to be compliant, lol. 

So I didn't end up starting today, it was a lovely day and hubster wanted to take me out to lunch, so I had the last day before start meal and did all my meal prep so tomorrow is a go. 

Compliance while on vacation in Europe doesn't sound like something I'd want to try, either! Of course, there's still stuff I'd have to avoid because I know it'd make me miserable... but I wouldn't be striving for compliance. I'm so happy for you, and hope you enjoy that!

It's nice to be able to enjoy lunch out with the love, too. Good luck as you get going on this reset!

On 7/26/2019 at 10:30 PM, SchrodingersCat said:

whatever brings on my migraines is cumulative, so I can get through a whole reintro with nothing triggering, then 2-3 weeks back into eating 'normal' they're back, worse than ever

That cumulative thing is such a good point! I always feel like it's one little thing that "breaks the camels back" but I like the word cumulative. It sure does make it difficult to pinpoint things because no way am I capable of tracking my food/mood/energy/hormones in such a detailed fashion. (capable, maybe, but wanting to not). I read Jihanna's reintroduction comments.  They're making me think about things because I've never been good at reintroductions.

Off to Europe sounds great and really, in Europe, you might end up eating healthy (not Whole30) just because the food choices are presented so differently. I was surprised that I was eating fresh bread and dairy when I went, but the quantities were smaller than here in the States and the other foods were kinder and simpler in my system. And fewer additives and fewer food colorings and less sugars which all made a difference.

I love the sounds of the meals you have planned for tomorrow. Enjoy your Sunday.

Thank you guys!! It feels good to be back on track. I have a dinner party on 10 August 2019 which I'm going to make every effort to make compliant - It's a Asian hot pot night (where you have a big pot of boiling broth in the centre and cook your own food) and I think I can pull off a compliant dinner with no one any the wiser - I'll just have to avoid the tofu! 

Even if that's not 100% compliant, I'm aiming for perfect compliance unless I've made a decision that it's worth it not to be - I guess that is Food Freedom? 

I'm so excited for Europe, we're celebrating my 40th in Amsterdam  then going to Glasgow for a wedding, then 5 days road-tripping the UK then 5 days in Paris!!

Meal 1: 2 x prosciutoo, egg, capsicum and spinach cups with nutritional yeast and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Sri Lankan beef and coconut curry with cauli rice

Meal 3: Chicken in garlic (coconut) cream sauce, mashed celeriac, potato and pumpkin with ghee and steamed broccoli and carrot. This is a fav meal, usually made with sour cream, but I tried leftover coconut cream and it wasn't bad. Not amazing, but tasty enough. 

Vertigo improved by the end of the day, a bit. Better than last week and over the weekend. 

Man, I slept like hell last night, but somehow I feel better and more alert today anyway! Still a bit of vertigo so far but it's not crushingly debilitating. 

I don't know if I mentioned but I have tennis elbow at the moment - ugh, it sucks!! 

Meal 1: 2 x prosciutto, egg, capsicum and spinach cups with nutritional yeast and spicy kraut

Meal 3: Seared snapper with prosciutto wrapped scallops and lemon garlic and dill ghee, sauteed asparagus and a mixed leaf salad with bakes potato wedges.

I love fish Tuesday, it's become a bit of a thing. I hit the fish markets at lunch time. Hubster didn't used to eat a lot of fish, but now loves it! 

OK, both yesterday and today when the vertigo got bad, I've had accompanying numbness in my face. Yesterday it was along my jaw and bottom lip, like I'd been to the dentist, today it's bottom lip and cheekbones. All the more reason to stay compliant and rid myself of these horrid symptoms, as far as I can. 

Schrod, I think I remember you mentioning you see a chiro occasionally... and that numbness + vertigo makes me think they might want to check your TMJ positioning. When my jaw has been out of alignment for a while, it begins to get a dull ache which kind of slips into a bit of numbness, and my mom (who gets vertigo occasionally, also) says that the chiro treatment can help with her symptoms. Just a thought, since that facial numbness would scare me (I've had Bell's palsy twice so any facial numbness freaks me the heck out until I realize that it's not another bout starting). I really hope you can get some deeper answers during your reintro this time!

I'm actually due for a chiro visit, so oil definitely bring it up! I think it might be a migraine symptom because it coincides with my vertigo at its worst.

I was in court this morning so it's well after meal 1 time, so only 2 meals today:

Meal 2: beef stoup with cauli rice

Meal 3: slow cooker lamb shanks with broccolini, brussel sprouts and pumpkin, celeriac and potato mash with ghee.

Howdy-hi, folks! 

Slept much better last night, save for the dog waking me up a couple of times but he's a good boy so I forgive him. 

I'm still foggy this morning but the aaallllll day vertigo is seeming to slack off to a some of the day vertigo. We shall we how we go.

I pulled 2kg of diced pork out of the freezer today to defrost in the fridge so I can make sausage on Saturday, yay! I'm thinking a traditional italian sausage with garlic, red pepper and lots of fennel. 

Meal 1: 2 x prosciutto, egg, capsicum and spinach cups with nutritional yeast and spicy kraut

Meal 3: Spiced pork loin steaks with roasted veggie medley (sweet potato, celeriac, carrot, brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauli) tossed in a harissa tahini sauce. 

Tonight is horrible. I've had the worst afternoon, I found out something terrible, had to tell someone the terrible thing, which hurt them deeply, and in telling them (which I wouldn't have dreamed of not telling them because they HAD to be told), I potentially cost my husband and I a LOT of money, and definitely broke some relationships which will not be mended.

The ONLY saving grace is that as much as all of this sucks and I feel awful, I know I did the right thing, and I'm sitting here, miserable but sober and compliant. That's huge, because I'd friggen love a drink and if any day would have justified me having one, it's today. And I'd love to say it's me being dedicated to being compliant, but really it's because I'm so sad and angry I can't risk having a few drinks and saying or doing something I'll regret.

Sigh. 

4 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

The ONLY saving grace is that as much as all of this sucks and I feel awful, I know I did the right thing, and I'm sitting here, miserable but sober and compliant.

That's a pretty big saving grace, as well as the efforts to not say something you'll regret. Sounds like a really, really rotten situation.

Thanks guys. We shall see how this plays out. I'm determined to stay compliant over the weekend, as much as I'd kill for a vodka soda. Getting half cut and losing my temper would NOT help the situation, no matter how satisfying it might be.

Meal 3: Not sure. I still have pork steaks defrosted but Friday nights I like to do something a little more involved because I have time. I'll ponder it through the day. 

Archived