Sign in to follow this  
SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's "I'm useless at this food freedom thing" Round 3 Diary

8 hours ago, Jihanna said:

That meal sounds rather elaborate, compared to what I typically throw together! It does sound quite tasty too!

It was literally me standing in the fridge chucking things that were open into a bowl of roughly cut veg lol

Brunch was delicious! 

Baked eggs in a tomato, capsicum, onion, and spinach ragout, topped with basil and pine nut pesto and nutritional yeast.  Amazing!

For dinner, I have some time on my hands so i'm doing Chinese takeout at home - cauli fried rice with shrimp, bbq pork omelette, and beef with broccoli <3

Dinner was totally not Chinese!

Slow cooked beef BBQ spare ribs with W30 bbq sauce (the delish one, I like it because no dates!) with wombok, fennel and carrot slaw with chimichurri mayo and a baked purple sweet potato with ghee.

The bbq sauce is great!!

So today I had ENERGY!!! I don't know where it came from, I've never had Tiger blood on my previous 2 rounds, and I'm only day 6 anyway, but today I just wanted to do all the things. I prepped:

• 3kg of fresh Italian sausage (including grinding the pork) of which I then make 1kg of salami and the rest will go into cases tomorrow
  • Whole 30 BBQ sauce
  • Mayo
  • Egg bake with spinach, mushrooms, capsicum and prosciutto
  • Whole roasted cauliflower
  • Tuna patties

I've been in a great mood and just felt way better than I have been lately. I hope I feel like this again tomorrow!!

2 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Oddly, it's only now quite late at night and now I have vertigo.

What are some of the theories for the vertigo? I had a friend with Meniere's and it was lousy. I don't think she ever explored how diet could help hers. 

9 hours ago, Emma said:

What are some of the theories for the vertigo? I had a friend with Meniere's and it was lousy. I don't think she ever explored how diet could help hers. 

Diagnosis is vestibular migraine, because they can't pinpoint anything else. I question how someone could have a migraine for 2 years straight, but given my first round fixed it and my migraines have usually been food triggered, they may be right. It's still bizarre. It takes 2 or so weeks on round for it to go away, too, which didn't fit with food triggered migraine...

Meal 1: sauteed broccoli stem, wombok, carrot and capsicum with seasoned salt and balsamic topped with pork sausage

Meal 2: an entire damn cauliflower baked whole and topped with olive oil, lemon juice, dijon and capers. It's was a small one, but Sheesh. Little bit of pork sausage. Not a template meal.

Meal 3: crispy skinned chicken thighs, roasted pumpkin, broccoli, brussel sprouts tossed with baby spinach and balsamic.

Roasted cauliflower is SO tasty and filling! I try not to eat so much, but I always do. That diagnosis does't explain much does it. It does make me wonder if my aunt's bouts of dizziness were food related. I'd never imagined there could be a connection. Yours sounds pretty extreme - TWO years?! How does one function! And the entire food reaction process is so difficult - especially if a symptom can be delayed.  Here's to Whole30 (clink of the glasses) and hopefully it helps winnow out what is a trigger.

Yup, it's a pretty frustrating diagnosis, which is then complicated by me having an autoimmune neurological disorder which COULD be causing the symptoms except that 3 neurologists say it's not, and the fact that I can treat it with diet also indicates that it's not. I've given up trying to get diagnosed and I'm just treating the symptoms at this stage. As for functioning - barely. I was actually at the point of going to part-time work at the start of this year when I did my first round and my whole damn world changed. 

I slept SO well last night, save for having to get up to let the dog out. Usually he sleeps straight through but something woke him up so of course he needed to go out and pee and check it out. He's such a love.

What a great, productive weekend!! Sausages, salami, egg bake, egg muffins for hubster, roasted lamb and salad for his lunches, tuna patties and coleslaw for mine, chimmichurri, mayo, smoked capsicum, dried poblano chiles, compliant BBQ sauce...

So round 1 it took almost 3 weeks for the vertigo to go and I never got Tiger Blood. Round 2, the vertigo never entirely went away, just improved a lot from week 3 onwards and again, no Tiger Blood. This round, I'm on day 8, the vertigo has improved immensely, and I just have energy! I feel sharper, my memory is unfogging, and I just want to DO things. It's really nice!

Meal 1: Egg bake with prosciutto, capsicum, mushrooms, spinach and nutritional yeast

Meal 2: Tuna patties made with chipotle dukkah, topped with Peri Peri mayonnaise with chimmichurri mayo rainbow slaw

Meal 3: Italian pork sausages (home made!) with pureed celeriac, pumpkin and potato with ghee, steamed asparagus, brussels and broccoli

I tried on pants at H&M and they fit!!! They didn't look good, LOL but they fit!!

One of my biggest desires, weight and health wise is to not have to ever shop in the plus sizes again. H&M is such a global brand, so to fit into their 16s (USA 12s) is amazing, especially when I tend to be very bottom heavy - I'm always 1-2 sizes bigger on the bottom half!

16 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

So round 1 it took almost 3 weeks for the vertigo to go and I never got Tiger Blood. Round 2, the vertigo never entirely went away, just improved a lot from week 3 onwards and again, no Tiger Blood. This round, I'm on day 8, the vertigo has improved immensely, and I just have energy! I feel sharper, my memory is unfogging, and I just want to DO things. It's really nice!

That is SUPER cool and probably good to remember and put up on the wall because the down days probably make it hard to remember the progress. I think about how many years I've been eating foods that cause inflammation and imagine it is going to take many many months (if not years) to undue that. I look at my kids and how they can eat the crap foods and still be okay and I know it's because their bodies haven't been corrupted for so long. It certainly sounds like you are on the right track. And to have energy and want to DO things is really pretty fun and exciting - and contagious! Now I want to go DO things too :)

I'm even waking up feeling good!! 

Fish Tuesday! It's become quite the thing around our place. The fish markets close on Monday, so my theory is that Tuesday all the fish is at its freshest, so I wander down at lunch. 

Meal 1: Egg bake with prosciutto, capsicum, mushrooms, spinach and nutritional yeast

Meal 2: Tuna patties made with chipotle dukkah, topped with Peri Peri mayonnaise with chimmichurri mayo rainbow slaw (note to self - you can't pre-prep slaw, it's gross. I'll eat it because I hate waste but from now on - dressing must be separate!!)

Meal 3: Seared salmon steaks with lemon garlic dill ghee, seasoned sweet potato wedges, medley of sauteed veg with brussels, brocc, fennel, asparagus with a lemon mustard dressing. More fresh dill because mmm dill. 

13 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I'm even waking up feeling good!! 

Fish Tuesday! It's become quite the thing around our place. The fish markets close on Monday, so my theory is that Tuesday all the fish is at its freshest, so I wander down at lunch. 

Meal 2: Tuna patties made with chipotle dukkah, topped with Peri Peri mayonnaise with chimmichurri mayo rainbow slaw (note to self - you can't pre-prep slaw, it's gross. I'll eat it because I hate waste but from now on - dressing must be separate!!)

Meal 3: Seared salmon steaks with lemon garlic dill ghee, seasoned sweet potato wedges, medley of sauteed veg with brussels, brocc, fennel, asparagus with a lemon mustard dressing. More fresh dill because mmm dill. 

YOU really have some delicious sounding meals! 

2 minutes ago, Emma said:

YOU really have some delicious sounding meals! 

Thank you!! I love to cook, it really is my passion and I find it so helpful to stick to W30 when I make things interesting. My husband says that we eat better on round than off, so much for a restricted diet making things boring!! :D 

5 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

My husband says that we eat better on round than off, so much for a restricted diet making things boring!! :D 

It's so true. We eat WAY better and WAY more interesting foods when I do a Whole30. Of course, our bar is kinda low, but still things are better - kinda funny how that is. I'm going to have to remember that when talking with the skeptics.

So replacement dinner was lamb patties with pinenuts, garlic, oregano and sumac with sauteed brussel sprouts, broccoli and asparagus in olive oil and Old Bay, and roasted purple sweet potato wedges. Lamb patties topped with tahini and lemon juice. 

I had some vertigo on and off today, but it's definitely lessening. I'm far less foggy, less tired and feeling generally better. 

Had my optometrist today and my eyes are in good shape, which is a relief. A few years ago I had a bout of optic neuritis, which is an inflammation of the optic nerve, and while it remitted, there was a chance of damage. Bad news is that I'm long sighted and my eyes are struggling with reading and computer work, so I'm getting glasses. I picked some really cute ones though - totally fought my urge to go the plain safe ones and got some funky ones instead!

I'm changing my style now I'm back into 'normal' sized clothing. I've been dressing like someone far older than I am, and I'm sick of it! 

Good Wednesday morning!

I have to say, getting up in the morning is so much easier. I am honestly feeling better by this day 10 than I have on day 10 of the previous rounds. Maybe because I have done them so close together, it takes less time to get back to that baseline? Whatever it is, I like it! I might even start looking at some exercise *gasp*. I'm such a slacker, I have an eliptical and a weights machine, as well as a boxing bag in the garage and I just don't even get out there. I need to aim for 15 minutes a day to start and just get to it.

Meal 2: Tuna patties made with chipotle dukkah, topped with Peri Peri mayonnaise with chimmichurri mayo rainbow slaw (thank goodness today is the last day of pre-prepared slaw!!)

Meal 3: Pork chops with apple and chilli relish, sauteed asparagus, brussel sprouts and broccoli in ghee and dukkah, and grilled sweet potato rounds. 

I tried on one of my goalpost dresses this morning and it fit! It's from Portmans, which is a funky younger womens clothing shop in Australia, and it has no stretch so it's a good baseline. When I fit that dress, I know I'm officially out of plus-size clothing! I'm really happy. I'm also fighting the urge to go clothes shopping, because a) I'm not done losing weight and b) I have a heap of cute clothing packed away in storage that I got too big for, so I need to 'shop' there first!!

I don't know if I mentioned but I'm throwing a dinner party this weekend, it's an Asian Hot Pot. So basically there will be a big divided pot in the centre of the table with 2 types of broth, one a mild Asian style chicken, and the other a Spicy seafood style and everyone will be armed with chopsticks and a little net on a stick and can cook their own food by popping it in the broth!

I'll make the broth from scratch so it's compliant (aaaaallll the pre-prepared have sugar and soy)

Compliant options are: thinly sliced beef, pork and chicken, prawns, scallops, calamari, snapper, fish balls, bok choy, chinese broccoli, carrots, 3 types of mushroom

Non-compliant options: Tofu, fish cakes, wontons, noodles

I'll also start with Vietnamese spring rolls, which are non-compliant but they won't be served as a sit down starter so no one will notice me skip them

Dessert will be seared pineapple with a cardamom and chili caramel and homemade coconut ice cream. I'm just going to have the ice cream, which is SWYPO but made with compliant ingredients. 

I'll be resisting the alcoholic beverages!

I got given 2 bar things that are pretty much RX bars, dates, cashews, egg whites, one has cocoa and sea salt and the other apple and cinnamon. Compliant ingredients, but in my view totally not in the spirit (I can say I've never had a big enough emergency to need one!) and they were sitting in my desk drawer lurking and mocking me. I just put them in the tea room as a "free to a good home".

My single biggest issue with food is that I'm either "on" or I'm "off". No in between. I'm either strict 100% W30 or I'm hoing down a family sized bag on M&Ms. There's no in between and the smallest slip starts a spiral of food debauchery lasting days. Even the crippling illness it brings on isn't enough to put me off. I actually don't know if W30 is helping me with that, to be honest, because I take a great deal of comfort in the strictness of the program and that's not conducive to learning to eat freely but mindfully. I sometimes worry that it's actually making things worse mentally, but the physical effects are so good I'm willing to risk it. 

Compliant or not, that bar would have sent me on a sugar binge. I'm proud of myself for getting rid of them.