SchrodingersCat's "I'm useless at this food freedom thing" Round 3 Diary

SchrodingersCat

18 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

so I'm getting glasses. I picked some really cute ones though - totally fought my urge to go the plain safe ones and got some funky ones instead!

I'm changing my style now I'm back into 'normal' sized clothing. I've been dressing like someone far older than I am, and I'm sick of it! 

I just got glasses too! And I got funky ones too! I've been looking at my own style and none of the clothes in my closet are the things I want to wear. Super exciting you're shaking things up and finding the style you want - AND fitting into clothes. Sighing. I picked up some pants for my kids today. It was so easy. I looked for their age group, paid, took them home. The kids tried them on and they fit just fine. I haven't had that experience in forever. I'd like to have it again.

7 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I tried on one of my goalpost dresses this morning and it fit!

WooooooHooooooo! That really is exciting!

7 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I don't know if I mentioned but I'm throwing a dinner party this weekend, it's an Asian Hot Pot.

I LOVE your party idea. We have a fondue pot that we've only used for hot oil. Broth sounds great and it's so Whole30. Do you use any sauces or does the broth have enough flavor? Feel free to share any recipes that you want. I think it would be a really fun thing to do as well.

4 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

My single biggest issue with food is that I'm either "on" or I'm "off". No in between. I'm either strict 100% W30 or I'm hoing down a family sized bag on M&Ms. There's no in between and the smallest slip starts a spiral of food debauchery lasting days. Even the crippling illness it brings on isn't enough to put me off.

Oh my - me too. And when I'm "off" I feel like I'm out of control which makes me really think that my body responds to food like it's an addiction. I did, long ago in the past, manage to continue eating Whole30 ish by making paleo baked goods and refraining from white sugar, pastas, and breads. The natural sugars like maple syrup and honey in the baked goods didn't seem to trigger that "eat it all up" behavior. I'm so content right now struggling to figure out how to eat well because I really have no desire or yearnings for the junky food. I have semi yearnings, but no cravings that I can't squash by making sure I'm fed. And the crippling illness - the asthma coughing reactions that I get are so extreme and I test the boundaries again and again and they are still there. Why can't I get it through my head. But it's not so easy.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness. I love spicy food and interesting combinations. So to go with my pork chops, I peeled and chopped a red apple (I'd usually go green but wanted a little extra sweetness) and simmered it with a  little water, a teaspoon of sambal olek, a dash of cinnamon and a dash of ground wild ginger. Simmered it down, mashed it so it was still a bit chunky and served it on my chops. OMG. It was soooooo good!!! I love spicy and sweet as a combo!

Good Thursday morning! I'm so chipper in the mornings these days I make myself sick ;)

It's sooo cold this morning and we're in for a wild and woolly few days, apparently! Might take my dog up into the ranges on Sunday and introduce him to snow, if it sticks around. 

We have a friend over tonight for a catch up, and I always feed him dinner. He's on keto and really appreciates that what I cook usually fits really well! So I chucked a beef pot roast in the slow cooker this morning with carrots and onion and parsnips and potatoes, with a sauce of Whole 30 BBQ sauce, garlic, mustard, and tomato paste. I'll sautee up some asparagus and cabbage to go with. 

Meal 1: Egg bake per previous days with spicy kraut

Meal 2: Sri Lankan beef and coconut curry with cauli rice (YAAAAY no more soggy slaw!)

Meal 3: As above, beef pot roast and veg

The fellas will be chat chat chat tonight, so I might use the pre-dinner time to get my chubby lazy butt out to the garage and do 15 minutes or more on the elliptical. We shall see.

Hmmm, midday vertigo. Not crushing, but definitely present. I'm going to be really interested to see if glasses assist with this. 

EDIT: Just recalled that I did forget to take my beta-blockers this morning, which are supposed to prevent my migraines, maybe they're doing a better job than I thought...

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

So glad this week is almost over. 

Because I missed fish Tuesday, and I need seafood for tomorrow, tonight is Fish Friday :)

Meal 1: egg bake and spicy kraut

Meal 2: pot roast and veggie medley

Meal 3: Salmon steaks with lemon, garlic and dill ghee, sauteed sweet potato, sauteed cabbage, fennel, carrot and cauli in seasoned salt and olive oil

59 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

So glad this week is almost over. 

Because I missed fish Tuesday, and I need seafood for tomorrow, tonight is Fish Friday :)

Meal 1: egg bake and spicy kraut

Meal 2: pot roast and veggie medley

Meal 3: Salmon steaks with lemon, garlic and dill ghee, sauteed sweet potato, sauteed cabbage, fennel, carrot and cauli in seasoned salt and olive oil

Yum!! Just yum!!

Salmon was yum, but you know those nights when you eat and your stomach is full and your brain just wants to keep eating? I'm having that time right now. 

Vertigo was on and off today, it really, really does seem to come on hard right after I eat. It's so odd. 

I have the broth for the hot pot simmering away and the house smells lovely!!

2 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

So I've ended up with some olives and a handful of almonds

Olives and almonds are good. I had those brain wanting to eat moments the past few days. A couple times I brushed my teeth which helped, but another time I ate a nut bar which I knew wasn't what I needed/wanted because I wasn't actually hungry. Olives would have been good if I'd remembered I had them.

The vertigo right after eating is so interesting. Does your blood pressure change after eating? There's a thing where some people get dizzy (different than vertigo I know) right after eating because the blood goes off to help with digestion which messes up the balance everywhere else. My aunt was told to drink a glass of water before eating to help prevent the drop in blood pressure. 

Dinner was fantastic - confession - I had a vodka. OK, 2. In soda water with fresh lemon. I figured it was a 'worth it' thing, and guess what? It wasn't. I went back to drinking just soda water with lemon.

Other than that, fully compliant meal, and great company. 

This 'round' is not really about me doing a 30 day round, I've done that before and have proved I can do it. It's more about me being strictly W30 save for when I make a conscious and considered decision not to be, like the vodka. And all it did was give me a headache, and I stopped after the 2 so I figure that as a learning experience, it was very valuable and I don't regret it. It also means I won't be doing it again any time soon, my soda water tasted better without it!!

So I have been thinking this morning and I guess that what this is isn't really a round but a super super slow reintro. But not a food group one, more a mental one, if that makes sense? 

Anyways. Dinner was great but my eating was very unbalanced. Not enough veg, not enough fat.

But weekends tend to be a bit more unstructured and I'm fine with that. That's life, and I'm living it!

On 8/10/2019 at 10:58 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

Dinner was fantastic - confession - I had a vodka. OK, 2. In soda water with fresh lemon. I figured it was a 'worth it' thing, and guess what? It wasn't. I went back to drinking just soda water with lemon.

Thanks for being honest on here!  It really helps to know we are all different people and no one is perfect, and we can all make adult decisions about what works and what doesn’t for us.  I remember a few years back I tried another whole30 and used this forum...the feedback I got made me give up because the moderators were chiming in that I wasn’t doing things right and it was too much stress and pressure and not enough support.  I’m so happy they changed the forums.

What I know about being on here...it is hard to be 100% honest in my posts because I’m still scared of being judged even without the moderators.  However, as long as I am on here and posting most days, I am living a healthier lifestyle, regardless of a few slip ups or rule breaking here and there.  I have found that avoiding sugar 100% of time and recreating things or eating paleo foods that are restricted on the whole30 (SWYPO) are the hardest struggles for me on this whole30.  That aside, the amount of healthy fats, proteins, veggies, and fruit I am eating now during my whole30 is a total life changing success and I know it’s going to help me long term.

The weekends are more unstructured for me too...totally relate.  We’re still in this together, though, and you are doing great!!!!

Thanks @Amy_Michigan! I'm actually glad I tried the vodka - now I know not to bother, LOL.

Yesterday was a shit day, had a fight with my husband, and ended up only eating the leftover meatballs from the night before (compliant).

Did manage to food prep for the week though, I make white chilli chicken soup, but used the leftover broth from the hot pot, which has a decidedly Asian flavour so it tastes good but I can't really describe it. It doesn't have enough veggies, so I'll grab some cauli rice to have with it for lunches.

Todays food:

Meal 1: Egg bake as per last week and spicy kraut.

Meal 2: White chilli chicken soup with cauli rice

Meal 3: Seafood mix (snapper, prawns, calamari and scallops) in spicy tomato sauce with cauli rice and steamed broccolini.

OK, got home, cooked dinner, made up with the hubster, and feeling a lot better. 

Added a serve of olives. I never realised how much a serve of fat goes towards keeping me sated. Evening snacks were my thing, even when losing weight, because I'd eat my low fat meal and still be hungry. Now a handful of olives with dinner and I'm all good. If I don't have them with dinner, I have them shortly after.

OH!! And no vertigo today!! First day since round 1!!

Yo Schod! 

Had a little read through - catching up and getting ready for W30 v3 starting today. My mom's sudden illness and tremendous care needs (brain tumour, radio surgery, fall leading to a broken hip and hip replacement surgery!) have me off the charts for the past 4 weeks. Hubs and I took a week off to go to France where, if it's possible, we didn't eat/drink a single W30 approved food for 8 days (is it possible to eat W30 in France?? Serious question. The cheese - OMG the cheese!!) I also took on a new role (Training Director - Global) with my Aussie based company and am up to my eyeballs in stress so, my eating has been a return to pre-W30 - awful, awful, awful. I remember when you came back from Bali - I feel like that. So - here I am again - raring to go. 

Hope you can get to bed soon without vertigo - I feel that way about my foot pain. I know it's related to food but impossible to totally figure out. It's back now but there's been so much wine, cheese, bread and dessert over the past 4 weeks so, what to say?

Alright - off I go then - just thought I'd pop by to say HI!

4 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Yo Schod! 

Had a little read through - catching up and getting ready for W30 v3 starting today. My mom's sudden illness and tremendous care needs (brain tumour, radio surgery, fall leading to a broken hip and hip replacement surgery!) have me off the charts for the past 4 weeks. Hubs and I took a week off to go to France where, if it's possible, we didn't eat/drink a single W30 approved food for 8 days (is it possible to eat W30 in France?? Serious question. The cheese - OMG the cheese!!) I also took on a new role (Training Director - Global) with my Aussie based company and am up to my eyeballs in stress so, my eating has been a return to pre-W30 - awful, awful, awful. I remember when you came back from Bali - I feel like that. So - here I am again - raring to go. 

Hope you can get to bed soon without vertigo - I feel that way about my foot pain. I know it's related to food but impossible to totally figure out. It's back now but there's been so much wine, cheese, bread and dessert over the past 4 weeks so, what to say?

Alright - off I go then - just thought I'd pop by to say HI!

YAY! I was wondering where/how you were!! I'm so sorry about your Mom, that's so hard. France sounds incredible though, we're there in about 8 weeks!!

OK, so I made seafood fried rice for my husband. He didn't finish it, and without thinking, when I took our plates to the kitchen, I picked up a piece of calamari off his plate and popped it in my mouth. Didn't even think, because I had calamari on my plate, too. It had maybe 2-3 grains of rice and there would have been traces of soy sauce. 1.5 hours later and I have violent gastric distress. I honestly don't know if it was caused by the rice or soy, though, because I had no issues with them on reintro, and it was truly a minuscule amount. It might just have been because I was so stressed today, but it was worth recording. 

Slept really well last night, and I'm in a much better mood this morning! I have professional photos for work this morning and I'm very happy that I've been back on round because my skin looks good and my face isn't puffy.

Meal 1: Egg bake as per last week and spicy kraut.

Meal 2: White chilli chicken soup

Meal 3: Scotch fillet steak, baked sweet potato with ghee, sauteed broccolini, fennel, cabbage and daikon with balsamic reduction and dukkah

I'm going to chalk this up to day 2 of no vertigo!! It had been lessening, but I haven't had any attacks at all in the last 48 hours. Got my new glasses today, so a wee headache, but that's explainable. 

So I hit a huge NSV pretty solidly this week. One of my goals is to be able to shop in normal stores, even trendy stores and not have to buy plus sizes. Today I fit skinny jeans in Zara and H&M. I didn't buy any yet, I'll shop the sales closer to going on holiday but it's SO nice to be able to walk back into normal shops and not think "nothing for me, here!"

Bit of background - I'm a yoyo weight person to an insane degree. Some people yoyo 10-20 lbs, I yoyo 80-90. I've been 250lbs more than once, been down to 180ish or less a few times, and ballooned back up. Generally when I get bak up, it's to a new highest ever weight. It's REALLY bad for me. And I need to stop. When I started W30 in January I was 252lbs and almost back at my heaviest. I've gotten up there from 175lbs back in mid 2016, when the vertigo started and I stopped exercising, and started eating everything in sight and generally feeling constantly terrible. I'd gotten down to 175 from 255 in Jan 2014. You see what I mean about the crazy yoyo, and this was just in this decade. 

I haven't been a 'healthy' weight since I was a teen. I'd like to be, and I'd like to stay there. W30 and staying mostly compliant between rounds is the first time I've lost weight month after month without tracking calories in some way, and I really like it. It's also working well for me getting back to it after I slip, rather than just letting go and gaining it all back. 

Anywho. I need to start exercise next, and I much prefer to exercise when there's a point. I'm not a gym person. I love taekwondo and will go back, but my tennis elbow won't allow that right now, so I'm thinking maybe a dance class.

Archived