SchrodingersCat's "I'm useless at this food freedom thing" Round 3 Diary

SchrodingersCat

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love mayo too. And I love your fish cake recipe. I'm feeling excited to try something new that is also ridiculously simple.

And I love your reflections on the on/off track thing. I use those words myself and I have a sense of me being on or off and there's a very thin middle ground where I could fall either way. I read part of the Food Freedom book and I can't remember if it talks about that. I know when I first started writing a month or so ago, there was a discussion about good and bad choices. I don't think in those terms, but I do think in terms of addictions and I am either on board and in control or I've fallen off and have a lot less control. It's interesting and interesting reading your thoughts.

Coz I know you're all dying for an update, I have gone down the rabbit hole of being a binging, scoffing, ravening hose beast. According to the scales I've 'gained' 12 lbs in 6 days - my face is puffy, my hands are puffy, my stomach hurts... and yet I still go on.

I'm at a work conference tomorrow and Saturday with zero control over food, but Round Whatever starts Sunday. I feel atrocious.

(((hug)))
I'm so so so sorry, I know that's a horrible feeling to see what's happening and have absolutely no way of stopping it yet, but I'm glad you'll have the opportunity to get things going more smoothly again soon! It would be SO NICE if work lunches and the like were actually catered with awesome whole foods instead of junk :D 

SchrodingersCat, I’m sorry you’ve had a bad few days.

As @Tom Denham used to say, it’s reintroduction and afterwards that the real work begins. A Whole30 is easy. Food freedom, or what used to be called here, “riding your own bike,” is hard. But that’s what we have to master. (By the way, I encourage you to read as many of Tom’s posts as you can. He has a lot of insights to offer.)

Speaking only for myself, I have had to couple the nutritional insights I gained through Whole30 with the ongoing work of addressing my psychological and emotional issues around food. ( @MeadowLily is someone else who has gone through this, and I encourage you to look at her posts.) In particular, the Whole30 focus on real food, intuitive eating, and eating three meals a day, with no snacks, and within an hour of waking has continued to serve me very well, together with the concept of MINDFUL eating.

You have a lot of things going for you, not the least of which is your ability to cook nutritious and delicious meals. (Your meals have had me swooning). That’s definitely a strength.

You may find, as @Jihanna has posted about, that alternating the structure of Whole30 with short resets (three days? a week? ten days? etc) might serve you well.

For myself, having done a Whole30 (and two more as resets) I am presently engaged in a dual project of weight loss and addressing my eating from an emotional and psychological perspective. I know I have all the tools I need to achieve my goals, thanks to Whole30 but thanks also to my external resources. Whole30 has helped me to get back to my natural, intuitive way of eating, where no food is demonized.

By the way, my adult daughter (with whom I live) also has vestibular migraines (vertigo) so striving to cook nutritious meals for her to support her work to improve her health helps keep me motivated to also to keep my nutrition at a high level and to continue to be mindful about the food we eat.

You have the tools to work this out, and I encourage you to persevere.

Hey Wonderful Schrodinger's Cat - That wormhole is lousy, but man-o-man, how great that your body and brain are clearly telling you that something is a major trap door into that wormhole. It's good data. It's good to be reminded of why we hopped on this bus. It's good for ME to read and to remind me that I need to go cautiously around the bend.  Getting into the Day One, Two, and Three can be so hard to do. I don't envy you that, but I'm sure glad you're still here and it will be really interesting to see how long it takes for your body to resettle once you start another reset. You got this! 

Archived