Digestive issues....How do you know if.....

Joeleeo

they are caused by the specific item or re-introduction in general?

I got through the 30 days fine (only cheat was some Tums for gas a couple of times) and re-introduced dairy. On the day of re-introduction, I had some congestion so clearly dairy is an issue.

What i didn't expect was severe bloating, gas and bowel issues the NEXT day when I went back on the Whole 30. How do I know if it was the dairy or just a bad day (i had one like it during the 30 days as well? Do i just re-introduce dairy again and see what happens?

I do recognize that i "re-set" my system and therefore it will take my system some time to adjust, but is this unusual?

• Moderators

The best way to know for certain would be to reintroduce dairy again and see if it happens again. Some people have these symptoms within hours of eating dairy, but it's definitely possible to have a delayed reaction, which is one reason reintroductions include two days of clean whole30 eating between each reintroduction (or more if it takes you more than two days to get back to normal). 

• Whole30 Certified Coach
On 7/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, ShannonM816 said:

The best way to know for certain would be to reintroduce dairy again and see if it happens again. Some people have these symptoms within hours of eating dairy, but it's definitely possible to have a delayed reaction, which is one reason reintroductions include two days of clean whole30 eating between each reintroduction (or more if it takes you more than two days to get back to normal). 

I agree with Shannon. I would reintroduce dairy again and see if you experience the same digestive issues. I know for me personally, dairy really upsets my stomach, and I know several people who have experienced the same issue. Hope this helps!

Dairy and I have a love-hate relationship. Within 15 minutes of eating just about anything with a significant amount of dairy in it, I feel the indigestion starting. Sometimes, it just rumbles my stomach a bit, but if it develops into heartburn then nausea is almost certainly going to follow that feeling in the next 30 minutes or so. The next day, I'm generally constipated and possibly feeling bloated, especially if I've eaten any cruciferous veggies (which is likely because I love me some crucies). Within a day or two after eating the dairy, my eczema flares up on my hands, and I might wind up with some facial acne.

Definitely take the time to re-test... and I'd even suggest doing separate tests for different items if you've got a few things you'd rather not have to give up, just to see if those cause less reaction (if any).

Good luck!

Well, no gastro problem when I re-introduced dairy a 2nd time...but clearly have some congestion issues from dairy, so that will have to go pretty much bye bye.

I think the gastro was mostly from re-introducing ANYTHING new into my system after the re-set.

I can't say the diet was all that much fun, but it certainly worked for re-setting my system (I have no real desire for my evening cocktail or any need to attack the office snack cabinet), establishing priorities (I dont really need a bagel for breakfast or lots of carbs or sugar...and I will keep looking at labels) and for losing weight-over 7% of my weight in the 30 days.

Archived