Ann’s whole30 log - starting Tuesday 7/30

AnnH

So I am embarking on this journey to improve my life.  In the last week I have read the Whole30 book and have decided to jump right in. I have been on every diet known to man and had weight loss surgery in 2014 and still struggle with weight. What has made me eager to do this plan is the benefit to my health overall. 

In addition to obesity, I have arthritis in both knees which is getting worse, chronic swelling in my legs and lots of aches and pains. I’m only 54 but I feel ancient!  

I did a 10 day detox program a couple of years ago...it was hard and I think 10 days was not long enough

Because I work every Saturday, Sunday and Monday I decided to start on Tuesday. Yesterday I made my first week menu and did a shopping list. I shopped today and made scrambled egg muffins...they are cooling off in the fridge and they will be portioned off into the freezer.  I plan on doing more prep Sunday night and  Monday so I can hit the ground running on Tuesday 

Hi Ann! I think you'll really like this! We're about the same age, and I too have been dealing with obesity, arthritis in my knees and leg swelling. I saw a HUGE improvement in my legs after 5 days, and I can now see my ankles again.  I'm sure you'll do great!!

:) I'm the same age too! And I'm overweight and I've got osteo arthritis and arthritis in my knees and feet. I will say that I lost 35 pounds since last year and that has helped a lot on the joints, but eating Whole30 has also really helped - in so many ways - and leads me to hopes of a future sustainable healthy body.  Welcome aboard!!

Several hours into day one...had scrambled eggs with salsa and avocado with a side of watermelon for breakfast. I’m glad I got the Nutpods, makes my coffee a lot easier to drink compared to black.  Had a Chomp stick a few minutes ago, not bad.

one thing that is becoming very clear (not that I wasn’t aware) is how much time I spend eating, planning to eat, thinking about eating, buying food!  Looking forward to being more free from this

Day one complete!  Did my three meals plus a couple of snacks.  Had a couple of hard boiled eggs and an orange and last night had some cherries. Occasionally felt hungry and definitely had some cravings but no headaches. I feel ok this morning.  Struggling with breakfast...not enjoying scrambled eggs or the avocado.  Looked up some different recipes.

Day 4. Surprised (but not sad) that i haven’t experienced any major problems, no headaches or excessive fatigue.  Major cooking marathon today in preparation for my 12 hour weekend shifts...gonna look like a bag lady going in tomorrow but I will be prepared!

Had opportunity to go out to breakfast with some friends today. Scoped out the menu online and ate a full breakfast (egg, sausage, peppers and potatoes) before leaving. Restaurant was closed, went to alternative place and had a bowl of fresh fruit and black coffee.. Success!

• 2 weeks later...

Officially halfway through! Today is day 15.  I have been surprised that (so far) I have not had any major withdrawal symptoms, just some fatigue.  I notice a reduction in leg swelling.  I am amazed that I am really not having any cravings...it is shocking to realize how much time I spent thinking about food and eating!  I feel like my mind has been liberated from an endless loop of planning my next meal and worrying if I had enough snacks for the night...

Been thinking about the next phase of this lifestyle change.  I would like to add a small amt of dairy such as cream for my coffee or some cheese and see how I feel. I’d like to stay away from sugar and grains as much as possible.

I have been blown away by the information and support from everyone!

3 hours ago, AnnH said:

I feel like my mind has been liberated from an endless loop of planning my next meal and worrying if I had enough snacks for the night...

It's crazy isn't it! My kids think that I'm jealous of their food and their treats and I really am not. An ice cream on a hot day would be nice, but I just don't have the craving. Sometimes, I would eat BEFORE going out to eat so that I wouldn't wolf down too much food at the restaurant. That's rather messed up. It doesn't happen when I eat Whole30. Great job moving along!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 24. I can’t believe I am less than a week from completing my whole30!  I am feeling great and notice clothes fitting me better. Couple of issues...some problems with constipation. You would think this wouldn’t be a problem with all the veggies I eat, but there you go. Have needed to incorporate some meds to manage things. Also have had to do some alterations related to my history of a gastric sleeve, but otherwise have been rolling along!

10 hours ago, AnnH said:

Couple of issues...some problems with constipation. You would think this wouldn’t be a problem with all the veggies I eat, but there you go.

Not sure if you've tried this, but maybe give some plain coconut water a try. If I feel a little "backed up" despite how many veggies I'm eating, a nice, chilled 16oz serving of this usually gets me back on track without the meds (I love it but I've got to drink it cold). The meds, for me, usually make it worse so I like the coconut water as a natural helper. 

Glad you're feeling good, clothes are fitting better!! Congrats!! Those are awesome NSV's!

Made it through the Whole30!  Had a lot of non-scale victories. I don’t have the carb and sugar cravings, spend less time thinking about junk food, spend a lot less money on meals out/fast food/snacks, clothes fit better and my lower extremity edema is a lot better. And, even though weight loss is not the primary goal, it is important to me. I lost 22.7 lbs!!!!  

The weight loss without the other victories would be less meaningful. I know as I do reintroduction that the Whole30 was doable and effective and is there if I need it. 

Archived