wwyd regarding communion?

I'm on day 1 and didn't even think about this until church but... what do you do about communion? Its 1 oyster cracker and about a teaspoon of juice. I don't want to feel like I'm cheating the program but I also don't want to feel like cheating God so... yeah.

I think you have to decide what communion means to you personally. I know some people who stand up and receive blessings or when communion is passed they simply bow their heads. Does the ritual bring you peace or does the moment/ life pause?

Personally, I believe that communion is about asking for forgiveness and receiving reassurance....so much more than those paper-y wafers. But it's funny because the same thing happened this morning, I was caught off guard and without thinking took the wafer and wine. Next time though, I don't know if I will.

I really like what one of the Moderators wrote about not over-thinking and doing what works for you within these guidelines. Next time, I am just going to make sure I have it sort of set up in my mind before the moment comes. Best of luck!!!!

• Moderators

I served bread and wine in my church today and enjoyed it. I think you can partake of bread and wine in church or not, your choice. Gluten might be an issue for you, but the Whole30 does not ask you to give up communion bread just like it does not ask you to give up prescription medications.

Gluten-free anything is not okay during a Whole30 generally, but many churches offer gluten-free wafers. They would be a good choice during a Whole30 if you are going to participate.

Archived