Headaches and breastfeeding

Hi, everyone! I wasn’t sure whether to put my post here because I’m breastfeeding or in the headaches section because I’m having headaches...?Anywho! I’m on day 7 and not doing too great. I’ve been breastfeeding my 6 month old and feed her about 6 or more times a day, I also have a toddler who is almost 2 and have a full time job working from home. I’ve been having headaches everyday since I started. Initially, it was more of a dull, foggy kind of headache on/ off throughout the day. Most recently as of the last few days, my headaches are more painful and sometimes will last all day. I noticed I wasn’t really eating starchy carbs sono had a baked potatoes during dinner just the other day and that seemed to help decrease the severity of my headache but didn’t completely go away so I took tylenol. Had more baked potato the following morning and that seemed to help but later in the day in came back and was pretty painful. I drink lots of water and don’t hold back on the salt so I’m just wondering is it possible that I need to be eating starchy carbs three times a day?? I don’t usually eat that much of those kinds of carbs to begin with so trying to figure out what kind of starchy carbs to eat is going to be a challenge. I do also drink black coffee every single day but that doesn’t touch my headache at all. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I really am committed to finishing this program all the way through 100% but these headaches are really annoying and to have it everyday is becoming very discouraging. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 

• Moderators

While you're breastfeeding, you need more food in general than you'd need of you weren't. Try four meals, or three meals and a couple of mini-meals.

Starchy vegetables can help, those would be any root vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, rutabagas, beets, parsnips), winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or kabocha squash, and plantains.

Also be sure you're adding a serving of fat or two at each meal, in addition to any oil you cook in. Add olives, avocado, coconut milk or flakes, occasionally nuts and seeds, or look up sauces and dips, like compliant mayo, pesto, ranch dressing, chimichurri sauce.

Archived