Bone Broth Made from Costco Chicken

debnash

I know the rotisserie chickens made by Costco aren’t compliant because of some of the stuff they put on the rub, but could I use just the carcass to make bone broth? Or is that a no-go, even though past the skin the only real ingredient is just chicken? Thanks so much!

I have to agree with Schrod here, and say that I don't trust store-bought rotisserie chickens when it comes to my broth, at least not during Whole30. I tried to make sure I bought 2-3 whole chickens every time I found them on a great sale for our area, and then cook those up in whatever way I want... reserving the carcass for broth. I got into the habit of doing the chicken in the pressure cooker, then using part of the drippings to make gravy while keeping the rest as part of the broth (which was also made in the pressure cooker). It worked well, and left me without any doubt whatsoever that only good stuff was going on in there.

3 hours ago, debnash said:

Thanks! I hadn’t realized they bribed them too.

Yup, it's how they keep them moist - actually, that's a good thing to keep in mind. In over a decade of hospitality, everything from fast food to 5 star, I've never seen a kitchen serve a chicken breast that was NOT brined. There's too much risk of dryness. So if you ever go out to eat, don't trust that the chicken breast, even ordered plain, will actually be just chicken. At best it might have just been brined in saline, but usually it's more than that and there will often be non-compliant ingredients in it.

I actually don't do chicken breast at dinner parties without brining it, for the same reason. It just tasts better.

Archived