I just completed my second whole 30 yesterday. It was even more eye-opening than the first one. This time, my doctor diagnosed me with IBS halfway through, which explains why the whole 30 hasn't COMPLETELY relieved me of my digestion problems. I would really like to figure out once and for all which foods (even foods that are w30 compliant) are difficult for me to digest. So I've decided to start a "modified whole 30". I will still eliminate all sweetners, grains, legumes, and processed oils/other crap. However, I will slowly test my tolerance for fermented, raw dairies, certain fruits, and starchy veggies.

In this log, I will be tracking my food intake and post-intake sensations/moods/thoughts to help me understand my body better.

Please feel free to share any input, experiences, and suggestions you have regarding IBS or any other gut health topics.

This is not really a whole-30, it's more of a whole-lifestyle challenge. I hope we can heal and learn together :)

Have you heard of fructose malabsorption? I believe it can cause IBS symptoms, and if you were doing a Whole30 to the letter, you wouldn't have been eliminating fructose or even fructans. I think a doc can actually do a test for this.

I've learned that broccoli, as much as I love it, is the most horrible food in my gut. Something particular to broccoli, and seemingly not other veggies in the same class as broccoli, gets me every time.

So I'm no expert in this department but a lot of people don't tolerate milk well. After my whole30s I could not drink it. It gave me itchy rashes and diarrhea (TMI sorry). Have you instead thought of maybe trying a FODMAP protocol in your whole30? Some people can't digest things like fructose well as mentioned above because their gut bacteria is out of balance. So your stomach doesn't digest it but the rest of the bacteria in your gut go to town on it and that can cause bowel discomfort. I'd eliminate other things before trying to add things that are known to be irritants or not tolerated well. Just a thought!

Thanks Johnny! I did some more research on the FODMAP rules. It seems to be a good fit with my situation. I know from experience that high-fructose foods, such as apples, pears, honey, and agave nectar are NOT good for me. The bloat and discomfort come almost immediately after consuming them. With things like broccoli, cabbage, and fermented dairy, the effects are not as clear so I guess I want pay extra attention to them to see how I fare. So maybe I should completely omit high-fructose foods before I add back the dairy and complex carbs?

Basically, follow this chart http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fodmap-intolerances.pdf except NO GRAINS or LEGUMES or SWEETNER.

Got it. :)

Archived