Whole 30 for food service professionals

I am a chef at a retirement community and plan to start the Whole 30 plan on September 1st.  When I was reading the book this weekend it said that if you had one bite of something off the plan that you had to start over. It’s imperative that I taste the food as I’m preparing it so I know how to change the seasonings, for example a dairy-based salad dressing. How can I continue to do my job well and stay true to the plan? Has anyone else had this type of an issue?

• Moderators

We've had others in food service who needed to taste food/drinks as part of their job. A couple of options I know I've seen mentioned is to taste & spit, or to have others who you trust taste for you and let you know what something might need. 

Another option would be to limit tasting to only those things you absolutely must taste (if you make the same dish on a regular basis, does the seasoning change enough that you need to taste it every time?) and just recognize you're not going to get the best results. The point of an elimination diet, which is what Whole30 is, is to eliminate all the foods that are most likely to be causing issues like inflammation for a set period of time, and then to reintroduce them once your body is basically a clean slate. We cannot say how much continuing to have small amounts of dairy or soy or other non-Whole30 foods will affect your results, because these foods affect everyone differently.  

Archived