"no-oatmeal"

Nicole Hallett

• Moderators

We would encourage you to make all your meals match the meal template (download it here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/). You've got vegetables and fat here, but no protein, and it would be very easy to overdo the fruit in something like this.  I would argue that this seems to fall under the no recreating foods -- cereal is specifically called out, and oatmeal is just a hot cereal. (Rules are here:  https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/)  

There are some gray areas in the rules, and for those, you are expected to consider what you want to get out of your whole30, and why you want a particular dish that might be getting into a gray area. If you always have sweet, carb-heavy breakfast, maybe that is a habit you might want to change, or at least you might use this time to try something new and see if you feel any different depending on what you have for breakfast. 

I actually never have oatmeal for breakfast. I always have smoothies that are packed with protein, fat, and fiber. But, my protein power is a pea protein and sweetened with stevia so it's not Whole30 compliant. In an effort not to eat eggs everyday, I was wondering if making "no-oatmeal" would be acceptable. Since i never have carb heavy breakfasts or oatmeals, do you think this sounds like a good option for me? Or do you think I should stick to not having it. I am using cauliflower rice as a replacement for regular rice?

• Moderators

You don't have to eat eggs every day. You can have leftovers, or soup, or anything you'd eat at any other meal. "Breakfast food" is a thing we as a society made up.

I would suggest trying to have meals that match the meal template most of the time. If you choose to have this sometimes, as you've listed it here with no protein, pay attention to how you feel when you do. Do you find you get hungry faster or not, or have more energy or less energy? This is just a suggestion, if you think this is the best thing for you to have for breakfast, there's nothing in it that is against whole30 rules. 

Forget "breakfast food"! There is absolutely no logical reason for some things to be breakfast food and others not. It's a purely Western societal construct. In fact, cork flakes (from which all other breakfast cereal followed) were invented for a very... *ahem* interesting reason. Google it if you're up for a bit of an education, but don't do it in front of your boss.

Eating whatever you want for meal 1 is so freeing! Make meatballs, or patties! Chop a medley of veggies (sweet potato, squash, peppers, mushroom, asparagus, onion, cauli, bross - anything that roasts well) toss it in oil and seasoning and bake it and top it with some sausage, or diced steak, or ground seasoned chicken or turkey, have some smoked salmon or salmon patties, make a delicious soup - once you get over the idea that breakfast needs to be *breakfast* and can be anything you want, the possibilities are endless.

Archived