KiwiKendra's Log from New Zealand

KiwiKendra

6 hours ago, KiwiKendra said:

And the dressings! I cant eat that much Mayo or Ranch Dressing (made from the Mayo) within 3 days.. I guess I'll have to mess with the recipes and attempt smaller batches. Hey look at me, messing with recipes!!

Your mayo (or dump ranch) will last MUCH longer than three days. I give mine two weeks, although really, they will last until the expiration date on your eggs. And in the unlikely event your mayo had gone off, you will know it. Don't make this harder than it is! I've never had to throw out mayo. It's ALWAYS gone before it even has a chance to go off.

2 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Your mayo (or dump ranch) will last MUCH longer than three days. I give mine two weeks, although really, they will last until the expiration date on your eggs. And in the unlikely event your mayo had gone off, you will know it. Don't make this harder than it is! I've never had to throw out mayo. It's ALWAYS gone before it even has a chance to go off.

oh really?? but I was going by the recipe that says you need to use it within a few days. I'll start writing the egg expiry date on the jars instead then. COOL. Thanks for that tip.

A good way to use up ranch is twice-baked ranch potatoes... just sayin' :) they're delicious!

This recipe went over really well with my family during my first Whole30 --
https://thewholecook.com/broccoli-ranch-twice-baked-potatoes/

(Of course, I was told that just the ranch and bacon would've been fine, the broccoli was non-essential for everyone except me!)

4 hours ago, KiwiKendra said:

oh really?? but I was going by the recipe that says you need to use it within a few days. I'll start writing the egg expiry date on the jars instead then. COOL. Thanks for that tip.

Maybe the person who wrote that recipes has lived in a country where homemade mayo is an usual thing.

Nobody in their senses in my country would keep their mayo for a week or two, but well, I understand that for people elsewhere it migth sound unreasonable.

Thank goodness you're getting through the first week before heading back to work, but yeah, work will be tricky. Though, again, you're pretty darn prepared! I know I had some pretty bleak meals that just barely grazed the edge of compliance.

That problem with the homemade mayo is real. We never use all of our stuff, though my husband did use some awesome BBQ sauce I made to zest up a ground beef and veggie dinner and it was really good. I never would have done that.

You're doing great!

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2019 at 1:08 PM, ArtFossil said:

oh really?? but I was going by the recipe that says you need to use it within a few days. I'll start r

UPDATE copied from my own Facebook page on 1st October 2019:

Okay so Whole30 turned into Whole27.
I fell off the wagon for a chip butty! Lots of butter on white bread and a big squirt of tomato sauce!!! Wtf. I didnt even enjoy it and I got indigestion afterwards.
I'm not beaten though as now I understand the pull that food had on me. I no longer need to have a biscuit every time I have a cup of tea. I enjoy coffee without milk and sugar.
I know now that cooking wasnt an issue it was my own laziness. I need to prep meals so that I have healthy emergency food on standby.
I can drive past the dairy without stopping off to get a bar of Whittakers Chocolate.
Milk makes me cough in the mornings.
I CAN make Mayo, I like Cauliflower rice and love Broccoli soup. Oh, and i think I've gone off eggs.
Sugar is in most foods at the supermarket and its liberating to shop for the healthy stuff on the outer rim and not so much of the crap in the middle aisles.
I lost 6kgs somewhere and I feel more alive, sleep like a log most nights and when I next go to the movies I wont buy a massive family pack of peanut M & Ms....I'll get a small bag and eat em realllllll slow.
Woohoo!!!!

THAT WAS THEN AND THIS IS NOW: Why am I my own worst enemy? I go through all of that, and here I am now, wide awake in the middle of the night. I've slid down that very slippery slope and have to claw my way back again....

just saying......

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2019 at 12:29 PM, Jihanna said:

Nope, it's not... you're right! I actually hate the store stuff with a passion, never have liked it and would purposefully avoid it when possible. I didn't like my first few batches of homemade mayo either, but they were fine for mixing in with herbs and stuff for dressings. How I make it now is great for me, though; I can finally stand the taste of it :D 

Hi Jihanna, Can you elaborate on how you make your mayo now? My first several batches came out great but the last two ended up having almost a metallic taste to them after a couple days in the fridge. I did change the brand of olive oil but still using light olive oil and same ingredients and process from the Whole30 book. Any help is appreciated!

• Moderators
On 2/20/2021 at 1:04 PM, KathyMoorman said:

Hi Jihanna, Can you elaborate on how you make your mayo now? My first several batches came out great but the last two ended up having almost a metallic taste to them after a couple days in the fridge. I did change the brand of olive oil but still using light olive oil and same ingredients and process from the Whole30 book. Any help is appreciated!

I'm not sure if @Jihannais checking on the forum much lately, but from my experience, olive oils -- either the light or evoo  -- can vary in taste between brands, so that change may be what made the difference. Or maybe it's not so much the brand, but somehow the new one was already starting to get a little rancid, like if it weren't stored well or were exposed to high temperatures. 

Personally I use this method for making mayo: https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/, using lemon juice, and sometimes adding some mustard powder, maybe 1/4 tsp or so. 

Archived