Planning to start September 1. Are you?

KimberlyA1105

I just wanted to take a moment to share some of my favorite recipe bloggers and recipes! Does anyone have any they want to share? I'm always looking for new recipes to try on the weekends! 

Recipe Bloggers 

My two favorite food bloggers are Mel Joulwan and Paleo Running Momma. They're both very different, but I really love their recipes. Mel Jouwan (author of the Well Fed book series) tends to make very rich international flavors.  Paleo Running Momma feels a bit more like comfort food to me but I  probably make more of her dishes that anyone else. 

Favorite Dishes

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi you guys. I'm checking in while chicken thighs marinate. I'm at meal 3 on day 10 of my first W30 and I'm still excited about the results I'm getting. I'm mentally pushing strength to the ones who are struggling. I'm sure I'll struggle before day 30.

I wanted to take a moment to share a huge NSV! I'm an aspiring alpine climber, but not particularly fit, strong, or skilled. I'm also overweight. Just a few pounds ago and I was technically in the obese category based on BMI. 

I had a big climb planned for Monday, which was Day 8 of my Whole30 journey. This was going to be my longest climb with the most elevation gain (10+ pitches with over 2,000 feet of climbing and topping out at 10,306 feet). I had done a different climb a few weeks prior and it was so, so hard. I almost couldn't finish. Despite all the training and effort I had put into it. It was actually that climb that inspired  me to start Whole30. Because I had been doing everything right except nutrition. Which finally convinced me that I can't be the kind of fit I want to be without that part. Enter Whole30.

But this one was great!  I felt strong. I never doubted I could finish it. I wasn't completely and utterly exhausted on the hike out. It was a total and complete joy! 

I don’t know if my hard work is finally paying off, if I’m turning the corner toward Tiger Blood, or if I just fueled right, but I’m so, so happy to finally see changes happening in the mountains.  

Here's a photo of me at the top of Tenaya Peak in Yosemite National Park! 

Tenaya_Top.jpg

Hi Kirbz!  I just sent this to Emma in Your Post Whole30 Log, but since you asked...!  BTW, my day 30 was Sept. 9.

My NSV of the day - Due to busy schedules, we moved the celebration of my daughter's birthday up to last night.  I made her favorite strawberry cake from my grandmother's old fashioned recipe, meaning it is dense and heavy and moist and delicious, but not too pretty to look at.  And I DID NOT HAVE A SLICE!  But to be fully honest, I did lick my fingers after slicing and serving others.  (They are my family, they don't care...  :lol:)  I made myself some sliced fresh strawberries and coconut milk, which was sufficient after the little tastes I got from the crumbs.  I did not feel sad, I did not feel left out, I did not feel any enormous urges and I left the entire remainder of the cake at her house for her to share as she cares to!

Thank you Whole30!!  I feel so free!!

Oh. My Goodness. I just made an absolutely delicious recipe last night! So I wanted to share! 

Pork Lo Mein from Paleo Running Mommahttps://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-pork-lo-mein-whole30/

I doubled the sauce amounts and it was absolutely delicious! Even my fiance who isn't doing Whole30 and who doesn't like sweet potato actually loved it! He said he's looking forward to leftovers for lunch today!

I hope everyone is doing well and going strong! I'm on Day 14 and carbing up for a three-day backpacking and alpine climbing adventure starting tomorrow! I'm going to really miss those summit Peanut M&Ms, but I'm committed to doing this! 

Hi y'all. I'm day 15 today. Almost half way to 30! I've got a pork roast in the crock pot that I'll eat all week - off and on. I hope it's edible lol. I over-garlic-ed I'm sure. I'm still not having the reflux issues that I'm accustomed to. The thought keeps popping into my head that this is sustainable. I can live like this. Adding things back at the end will be something of a treat. There are a couple of foods I will enjoy eating again later, but I don't think there's anything I would say is MISSED. This may be the best thing I've done for myself since my personal trainer several years ago.

@Danna W Congrats on reaching the halfway mark! That's a big milestone! And you have some amazing NSVs. It's wonderful that you feel like this is sustainable!

That's always been the biggest hurdle for me. I like the food and I like the way it makes me feel, but I'm very accustomed to convenience foods. So all this planning and meal prep and dishes is a hard adjustment! But I've focused on simplicity this round and am feeling more confident about life after Whole30. :-) 

Thanks for checking in! It's nice to hear from others along their journey! 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, cdieda said:

I’m at 2-weeks in today. I’m only just starting to feel better. Is this normal?

It can be fairly normal. Check out the timeline: https://whole30.com/revised-timeline/

If you're concerned that you're not eating enough, or that you're eating too much, or whatever, you can start a topic in the troubleshooting section of the forum and give some more details, and we can help you figure out if you need to change something. 

Hello Everyone! 

Great job @kirbz! That's an awesome NSV to share! I'm on day 15. So far this Whole30 has been much easier for me. I have noticed lately that my clothes are fitting better, but I am still a bit tired. I have also been experiencing some digestive distress, not sure if anyone else has experienced that at the midway point, as well. My husband and I are running a  5k race together on the 21st, and I am looking forward to that as another NSV under my belt. Before I had children, I ran a lot. I've since slowed down, but I am so looking forward to getting back in the swing of it! This is my third attempt at Whole30, and this is the farthest I've ever gone. Great job to all of you who are hanging in, because I know that this isn't easy! 

23 hours ago, kirbz said:

Oh. My Goodness. I just made an absolutely delicious recipe last night! So I wanted to share! 

Pork Lo Mein from Paleo Running Mommahttps://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-pork-lo-mein-whole30/

I doubled the sauce amounts and it was absolutely delicious! Even my fiance who isn't doing Whole30 and who doesn't like sweet potato actually loved it! He said he's looking forward to leftovers for lunch today!

I hope everyone is doing well and going strong! I'm on Day 14 and carbing up for a three-day backpacking and alpine climbing adventure starting tomorrow! I'm going to really miss those summit Peanut M&Ms, but I'm committed to doing this! 

I love her recipes! I have been making her taco-sweet potato sliders, and it's a huge hit with the fam! https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/loaded-taco-sweet-potato-sliders-paleo-whole30/

3 hours ago, Kris10381 said:

My husband and I are running a  5k race together on the 21st, and I am looking forward to that as another NSV under my belt. Before I had children, I ran a lot. I've since slowed down, but I am so looking forward to getting back in the swing of it! 

I ran a lot before having kids too - it feels like a lifetime ago!  Way to go on getting back to it!

Hi @heb2014, good to see you back on here. @kirbz I'm with you on that convenience food habit. My biggest concern when I finish my W30 is that my eating plan will creep back to the dark side one microwaved meal at a time. I'll just have to be diligent. WAY more diligent than I was today at Kroger. I had a close call. I found Primal Kitchen salad dressings on sale this morning and I got so excited I bought the honey mustard kind. I had the cap off before HONEY registered in my mind and luckily I hadn't poured it all over dinner yet. Duh. I look forward to eating some early in October. lol. I'm beginning to get used to cooking though and I'm getting better at planning my meals ahead. This is good.

Hi all,

Just claiming my seat--today is day 17 for me.  @kirbz I love your mountain climbing pic--Yosemite is also beautiful in the background. A good friend of mine was getting in shape for her hiking trip to Machu Picchu this month so I happily joined her this summer climbing several peaks here in the northeast.  It is such a great feeling of accomplishment (especially once the descent knee pain abates!) and a great way to enjoy nature.  Thank you for sharing the https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/ link.  It has been extremely helpful to my eating plan.  I am so, so, happy to be back on the Whole30.  Wishing everyone a great day!

So awesome! Congrats to you! You and conversed a while back regarding power fuel while hiking and backpacking. I didnt figure this out until last week, (unfortunately, after my backpacking trip),but now know I can eat dried figs with compliant nuts and dried fruits. Fits nicely in my pockets while hiking and not having to stop to eat. Energy and muscle to help me with backpacking and climbing those Colorado 14ers. I am happy you found your energy on the Whole30 to climb that mountain!

On 9/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, Kris10381 said:

Hello Everyone! 

Great job @kirbz! That's an awesome NSV to share! I'm on day 15. So far this Whole30 has been much easier for me. I have noticed lately that my clothes are fitting better, but I am still a bit tired. I have also been experiencing some digestive distress, not sure if anyone else has experienced that at the midway point, as well. My husband and I are running a  5k race together on the 21st, and I am looking forward to that as another NSV under my belt. Before I had children, I ran a lot. I've since slowed down, but I am so looking forward to getting back in the swing of it! This is my third attempt at Whole30, and this is the farthest I've ever gone. Great job to all of you who are hanging in, because I know that this isn't easy! 

Bring dried figs for energy on your run!

On 9/16/2019 at 6:52 PM, Danna W said:

Hi @heb2014, good to see you back on here. @kirbz I'm with you on that convenience food habit. My biggest concern when I finish my W30 is that my eating plan will creep back to the dark side one microwaved meal at a time. I'll just have to be diligent. WAY more diligent than I was today at Kroger. I had a close call. I found Primal Kitchen salad dressings on sale this morning and I got so excited I bought the honey mustard kind. I had the cap off before HONEY registered in my mind and luckily I hadn't poured it all over dinner yet. Duh. I look forward to eating some early in October. lol. I'm beginning to get used to cooking though and I'm getting better at planning my meals ahead. This is good.

I initially bought the Primal dressings but found sugar in the ones I purchased. Now, I buy Tessemae's which has none. It may have been the type Primal dressings I was purchasing and not looking at the actual ingredients.

@DonnaGail you're exactly right. Different flavors of Primal Kitchen have different ingredients. The Ranch dressing, for example, is compliant. Another clue for me would have been the W30 logo - duh. Some flavors have it and some don't. Kroger also had Tessemae's products so I'm sure I'll be trying them all at some point. Primal Kitchen Ranch turned out to be very tasty. I really, really like it, but imo its flavor is only reminiscent of Ranch rather than the Ranch taste I'm familiar with. However, I am not trying to recreate Ranch and I find that this dressing more than meets my need - which is to have something in my purse to put on a salad when I eat out.

I hope your 5k was a big success. I was also a runner back in the day and I really enjoyed starting weekends with a Saturday morning 5k. I'm day 22 of my first W30 and I'm firmly in the groove. My most pressing mini-goal right now is to discover more vegetable dishes that I like. I have to pay close attention or my fruit to vegetable ratio sneaks too far to the fruit side. It'd be easier if tomato wasn't technically a fruit lol.

Day 22 for me! 

I'm feeling really good & chugging along :)

Huge non scale victory for me is I started doing Yoga again for the first time in years! I'm just doing 20 minutes a day but I feel like I am getting back in touch with my body and appreciating what it can do instead of hating myself for being overweight. It is a real flip for me; as every other time I have done the Whole30 I feel like I was more focused on losing weight than really letting the program take over and getting on a path to better health and happiness. It's not a diet, but I sort of was using it like one and I think this is why it didn't stick. If you are only focused on weight loss then your eyes are closed to all the other amazing things that are happening. I know my body isn't what I want it to be, but that doesn't make it less amazing!

Also, I may have purchased some nutritional yeast at the store yesterday but have no plans for it-- any suggestions? I know it can make things taste "cheesy" which is something I have been missing. Please send some of your favorite recipe links. This one really intrigued me-- https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/bacon-cheeseburger-casserole-paleo-keto/ (Haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking about making it this week) 

I'm raising my cup of peppermint tea to you all! Thank you for your support!

@Maggieb123 Congratulations on your yoga NSV and your new perspective! Focusing on what your body can do is definitely a beautiful way to appreciate it in a way that a scale will never allow you to do! 

As for nutritional yeast, Paleo Running Momma uses it a lot in her recipes so I think you're on the right track there! Here are a couple of my favorites: 

Best wishes to you! I'm also on Day 22! 

Less than one week to go! How is everyone doing?

I've been struggling to eat enough lately, which means I don't really have Tiger Blood. But I'm otherwise very happy with my commitment to this and my NSVs. Though, I will admit that I'm fantasizing about things I'd like to eat when I'm done. LOL. I plan to do a slow-roll reintroduction because I've already done formal reintroductions and know the foods that bother me. 

I think my first non-Whole30 food items will be banana bread. I have a delicious recipe that's made with 100% compliant ingredients! 

Archived