Giving up wine for W30

Ruthie

I am not a big drinker, but I do enjoy a drink in the evenings from time to time. I'm currently on day 5 and I would give anything to crack open that bottle of white I have on my wine rack. I am planning on giving it away just to get it out of my house, but haven't done so yet. What on earth do you do to get over this??I went to bed about 3 hours early the other day just so I wouldn't have to fight the urge any longer! (BTW this is my second W30. The last one was in Feb of 2012. I know I had this same issue last time as well, but I don't remember what I did to get over it.)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also on my second W30 (well. starting tomorrow anyway), and wine was a struggle for me too. On more than one occasion, I went to bed ridiculously early to escape the craving. Funny thing, I don't crave wine in bed ... it's like my wine-free safe zone.

I made a big jug of my favorite herbal iced tea tonight to prepare for day 1, and will mix it with pellegrino in the early part of evening, and switch to hot tea closer to bedtime. I think sometimes I'm just wanting a glass of *something*, maybe it's the hand-to-mouth thing? It helps some, but I plan on a few early nights over the next few weeks. :)

I've been missing both wine and my coke zero (I know). We bought a sodastream about a year ago and are finally putting it to use. Just making the basic club soda and adding some lemon juice to it. Probably will toss in a little orange juice sometime too (when I run out of lemons). Just enough to flavor the water.

It's really helped my "I want something other than plain water" in the evenings.

Oh man do I feel your pain. I've got a big wine tooth (and it's always in the house) so this has been difficult for me as well. The ideas stated above have helped me too, I always keep tea and sparkling water around now. It's also a matter of time and undoing the association between evenings and wine, still working on this but I can see its actually starting to work.

Years ago when I did my first whole 30, I would have killed somebody for a coke zero. I had been drinking about 2 liters a day. It was seriously harder to give up than grains or sugar for me. I drank a ton of mineral water to help me get over it (which took about 3 weeks) and its been a few years now that I've not had any coke zero. I eventually got over the need to drink mineral water, too.

Have you ever tried kombucha? It's kind of tangy and tart and might be something to help you get through. In the meantime, give that bottle of wine away!!

Mmm wine how I miss you...but it is ok we will be together again in Feb : ). This is how I am getting through Jan with no wine..

My hubby is not being to supportive and is sitting on the couch with a glass...time to go do something else.

Years ago when I did my first whole 30, I would have killed somebody for a coke zero. I had been drinking about 2 liters a day. It was seriously harder to give up than grains or sugar for me. I drank a ton of mineral water to help me get over it (which took about 3 weeks) and its been a few years now that I've not had any coke zero. I eventually got over the need to drink mineral water, too.

Have you ever tried kombucha? It's kind of tangy and tart and might be something to help you get through. In the meantime, give that bottle of wine away!!

I can't believe how much diet soda and especially coke zero I used to drink.... 8-10 a day and how many times I tried to kick and lasted about a week only to say to myself " well, it's calorie free so better than eating junk". And started guzzling with a vengeance .....

I decided that nothing will rule my life, certainly not a soft drink, and gave it up cold turkey over eight months ago when I started to eat strict Paleo ..... I've been accused of being a hard ass on this forum, so I preface this with *****. For me*****, I can't have diet soda or anything that comes close to it, sparkling water with juice is just a tease that would set me up to fail on day 31, as I would down a two litter of coke zero before breakfast that day.....

***** For me***** W30 it's getting to know yourself and admitting your weaknesses and faults, and telling yourself its OK to be human then doing what it takes to grow and change bad unhealthy habits..... Maybe hitting 50 this year shook me up a bit, I'm not getting younger and the body isn't as resilient as it once was. The reality is my father and his father died in their 50's because they put unhealthy things in their bodies....... So I will not sucome to a diet coke,dried fruit,Paleo ice pop,beer,hazelnut butter.....what ever emotional trigger that ISWF discusses in detail, that will set me up for failure on day 31. I simply remove these thing from my life with no regret or craving, I am stronger than hazelnut butter!!!!!

Oh and I love Johnny's ritual idea.... I make tea like a mad chemist with a French press.... Ritual is very soothing, that's the whole idea behind praying the rosary, or scribing text, studying Torah ...... Keeping the mind occupied and self soothing...

Ok enough pop psychology for one day, I'll get down off my soap box.... Lol

I was never a huge wine-drinker, but I did drink a bit before the Whole30. I think the Kombucha suggestion is great. I would recommend GT's Synergy Strawberry Serenity for a first try. Just put it in a fancy wine glass and the effervescence adds a nice touch. It may not have the warming effect of alcohol (tea is the best replacement for that), but it will have the color and ritual of drinking (especially since you can't really slug it down, lol).

I was a regular wine drinker before starting my Whole 30 on 1/3. I even chugged down a bottle the night before starting because I thought I was going to miss it so much;) Well, I've had my cravings, but shockingly they've been very manageable so far. I'm pleasantly surprised! I did pour myself a glass of Crystal Geyser mineral water last night because I was so tired of drinking plain old water and it seemed to help my mood. I've been drinking hot tea every night too! That is helping quite a bit. I agree that trying to change up your routine is the way to go.....even if it means "going to bed" a bit early. It will pass like all the other cravings! And definitely get the bottle out of the house;)

Hmmm have to say it's not about the ritual for me, it's more the relaxing effects of the actual alcohol, typically when I sit down after a day when the kids have been wrecking my head! So fizzy water just doesn't cut it :D let's just hope for angelic behaviour for another 29.5 days huh?

I'm with fenderbender on this. I'm the master of my fate and the captain of my soul. I enjoy a glass of red wine in the evening when not on the W30 (this is my second). Once I decide it's no booze for a while, I have no cravings. I enjoy a cup of tea just as much.

I am so happy to find this post today!!! I have a huge Wine Dragon sitting on my couch everynight at 8pm. This is Day 4 for me, and the last three nights I have not been able to relax and go to sleep. The food is not an issue at all - but all I can think about is a nice glass of cold chardonnay. Makes me feel a bit weak - but hopefully this craving will give way.....

I also wonder if craving white wine is also a sugar craving?

Love the idea of putting sparkling water in a wine glass - yes, it is ALL about the glass!

Mmm wine how I miss you...but it is ok we will be together again in Feb : ). This is how I am getting through Jan with no wine..

My hubby is not being to supportive and is sitting on the couch with a glass...time to go do something else.

You are much nicer than me - given I'm still in the first week, I probably would have grabbed the glass and tossed it in the kitchen sink!

Another drinker...made it here to Day 7! Teas are definitely my savior. We also have SodaStream so I drink a lot of club. Adding fresh fruit makes it more special because it's not something I normally take the time to do (I know, it's 2 seconds).

I agree with Johnny that it's about the ritual - since changing my ritual, it has been easier. Hubby still had a cocktail on Saturday and Sunday nights and I survived :) We have plenty of booze in the house... I like the challenge of having it there and resisting. But that's me... If you think you're going to slip, give it away for sure!

H

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I need to read up on Kombucha as I have no idea what it is. And the reality of me opening that bottle of wine - it's not gonna happen. It just taunts me as I walk by it. :) But I do really miss my glass of wine... I hope by the end of this 30 I won't care that I am not having it.

I bought two big bottles of Red Moscato before I decided to do this Whole 30. I'm not even a huge wine drinker. I had just discovered that I liked Red Moscato and then there are the benefits of red wine. I've rarely had more than one glass on any given night But, I really would like a glass. It has to be cravings. I think I have some chamomile tea. I'm going to try that after reading this thread. I'll get to use my tea kettle, too. :)

I made it to a w25 last time...my demise ---WINE. It set off the Dragon and was all down hill. It was a conscious decision (obviously), but tasted disgustingly sweet. I was bummed it was nowhere near what I was hoping for, and I ended up feeling like crap!

The Red Wine Dragon is my biggest demon these days, too. Day 7 here. I can't think of drinking sparkling water or anything else in the evening (even in a wine glass) as being an adequate substitute for my evening cabernet.

I've been blogging about my Whole 30 journey and literally every single day I've written about missing my red wine. I don't know if I'll ever slay my Red Wine Dragon, but at least I'm learning that I can ignore it for 30 days...

I'm so glad you started this thread. I was starting to feel like a lone alcoholic, wishing for that glass every night.

Archived