Giving up wine for W30

Ruthie

Kombucha is fermented.  So like anything fermented it needs sugar in order to ferment.  HOWEVER the big different with Kombucha (not all brands mind you) is the sugars will be eaten up by the SCOBY - which is mushroom type organism that forms on the top of the kombucha brew.  It will eat all the sugar in the tea and leave you with what is considered to be fermented tea - it's similar to apple cider vinegar to be honest.  

The making of Kombucha involves 2 ferments.  One to make the plain Kombucha and the second to make it flavoured.  Some companies will add sugar to this second ferment in order to make the mixture sweeter - we avoid those.  It should have some sort of sugar listed on the ingredients.  GT's brand - is usually safe. There is no sugar added for the second ferment.  However if you like looking at the nutritional information  - look for a flavour that is 5grams of sugar or less.  

Also there is little to no alcohol in Kombucha (unless it is labelled as such).  Fermented items are an excellent source of natural probiotics - which our bodies need to help ward off infections and aid in digestion.  

Also for your information a Whole 30 is not meant to be a low carb meal plan.  There are plenty of carbohydrates that occur in vegetables and we encourage you to eat a wide variety of vegetables.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! I will try Kombucha GT then!

I keep thinking that the less carbs the better.....

I am in day 8 of Whole30 and am feeling like if I was in my 20's again! full of energy, sleeping very well, and I cant believe this in such a short time. I even exercised for the first time this year yesterday!!! I have been avoiding carbs and ie: fruits... How much fruit can you have.... Can you have dried prunes to regulate your bowels? I have never been constipated and with this diet it is happening...Even though I eat a lot of salads...

Thanks for your fast answer!!!

Great to hear about your energy levels!

Okay some further thoughts for you:

Carbs are actually kind of healthy for you.  Every body needs different level of carbs - if you are active then you should include a minimum of ONE starchy vegetable a day - think root vegetables here: turnip, parsnip, carrots, beets, jicama, sweet potato, potatoes, also non root vegetables such as pumpkin, squash, and plantains.

We generally recommend 1 to 2 optional servings of fruit.  The key is not to use fruit as dessert and not to let fruit push vegetables off of your plate.  You should aim for 1 - 3 cup serving of vegetables with every meal.  If salad is your main source of veg - make sure it is HUGE.  Think mixing bowl size.

Are you eating a lot of nuts?  Nuts can be extremely constipating.  If you eat a lot of raw vegetables - that sometimes can back you up as well.  Honestly if you are consuming enough food overall things should move - vegetables in themselves contain quite a bit of fibre.  Also if eating this way is a large change for you - it could take a few days for your body to "switch over".

If you want - do give us a rundown of what your meals look like for the past few days - we could make some overall recommendations to help.  Please include portion sizes, activity levels and water consumption.  If you are not consuming enough water for your weight (recommended amount of water is half your body weight in ounces a day. So a 120lb person should be drinking at least 60ounces of water daily)

• Moderators

Thank you! I will try Kombucha GT then!

I keep thinking that the less carbs the better.....

I am in day 8 of Whole30 and am feeling like if I was in my 20's again! full of energy, sleeping very well, and I cant believe this in such a short time. I even exercised for the first time this year yesterday!!! I have been avoiding carbs and ie: fruits... How much fruit can you have.... Can you have dried prunes to regulate your bowels? I have never been constipated and with this diet it is happening...Even though I eat a lot of salads...

Thanks for your fast answer!!!

If you check out the meal template, you'll notice that it's suggested to limit fruit to two servings a day, where a serving size is about the size of your fist. With dried fruit, it's much easier to overeat -- try to think about how big the fruit would have been before it was dried and how much a serving would be for that.

You can have prunes -- with all dried fruit make sure there's no added sweeteners or sulfites/sulfur dioxide.

If you want, you could head over to the Troubleshooting part of the forum and start a discussion listing a day or two of your meals, including approximate portion sizes; water intake; exercise; and sleep -- someone might notice something that could help you sort out the constipation. In general for that, make sure you're drinking plenty of water (at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz), make sure you're adding fat to your meals in addition to the cooking fat, since much of that can stay behind in the pan and isn't consumed, and make sure you're eating 1-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, three being ideal. 

THANK YOU!!! Carlaccini and Shannon for your excellent and fast responses.

I decided to do Whole30, bought the book, signed up for the daily email, that I think is a very important part of keeping me motivated! Cant wait to finish the day and press the I DID IT TODAY and see what is posted. Now I see that I get sound advice from the forum moderators to keep going,  and to perfection my way of life with this method.

I know I don't drink enough water so I will try to implement that, and I will change the way I think about carbs... Still stuck with atkins memories.... I think that the most important thing and to be careful when the 30 days are over is ALCOHOL!!  It is going to be difficult to reintroduce it in real moderation.... Do people stay away of it after 30 days? any advice on how to introduce it back into diet? Sounds like a question for AA!! t I see so many people in this forum that can manage all the other elements but are really going through alcohol withdrawal.... It is the only big thing I miss.... and the creamer on my BLACK coffee that I still hate! Tried Coconut milk... Doesn't do the trick!

Thanks again

Mich007, my personal experience with addictive substances is that I need to cut them out for a long time before I can reintroduce them in a way that will not slide me right back down to exactly where I started. For me, that period of time is two years. If I can get through two full years without something, then I'm finally at the point where I can take it or leave it. I did it with alcohol years ago, I'm doing it with coffee now, and I'm doing a modified version with sugar (modified, only because absolute elimination of sugar in every product or restaurant meal is not worth the neurosis to me).

So I'm here to tel you that yes, you can break a habit, and yes, it can be done without AA, but it is likely to take a very long period of time to release yourself from something like alcohol that feels woven into every fiber of your social and culinary life.

THANK YOU!!! Carlaccini and Shannon for your excellent and fast responses.

I decided to do Whole30, bought the book, signed up for the daily email, that I think is a very important part of keeping me motivated! Cant wait to finish the day and press the I DID IT TODAY and see what is posted. Now I see that I get sound advice from the forum moderators to keep going,  and to perfection my way of life with this method.

I know I don't drink enough water so I will try to implement that, and I will change the way I think about carbs... Still stuck with atkins memories.... I think that the most important thing and to be careful when the 30 days are over is ALCOHOL!!  It is going to be difficult to reintroduce it in real moderation.... Do people stay away of it after 30 days? any advice on how to introduce it back into diet? Sounds like a question for AA!! t I see so many people in this forum that can manage all the other elements but are really going through alcohol withdrawal.... It is the only big thing I miss.... and the creamer on my BLACK coffee that I still hate! Tried Coconut milk... Doesn't do the trick!

Thanks again

Mich, I fully understand on the alcohol, I honestly haven't figures out how to handle that one once my 30 days are up (I'm on day 5), but I've convinced myself already that I certainly don't need it, but I surely to enjoy my glass of wine in the evenings, there just isn't the need to drink the whole bottle and maybe another one...like ou said maybe AA has some ideas, but like Xandra says above, it is a habit that can be broken and reintroduction is possible. I'm hoping to just take things one day at a time...

Mercy: I am on day 10 today!! I think it is the first time I go for so long without alcohol. Not that I drink a lot but it is the glass of wine with dinner, the scotch with friends in the weekends, the brandy after dinner, the martini, the port, the margarita the etc etc etc etc etc....

So many empty calories!!! The worst is that I eat much more with alcohol on board. The satiety center doesn't work...  I grill and I eat the piece of meat that I cooked for lunch the next day, and then I finish that delicious bottle of cabernet! And then the dessert with a good port to finish the night... 10 days... Down 11 pounds ..Belly down from 48 inches to 41.... Don't tell the moderators!!!  :-)

Summeradele: Tried the coconut coffee creamer...  it is better... I don't know if this is the Coconut cream that you talked about. It is the only one that I found at Whole foods... Wasn't great though....

Xandra: You might be right, but I do not want to live my life without alcohol. I enjoy it too much and I don't feel that I am an alcoholic to have to take those extreme measures of 2 years... I think that the secret is to learn to stop at one or two drinks.... That is the key! I regret when I open a good bottle of red to leave some behind... I thought buying half bottles...  The 375cc bottles are as expensive at the 750 ones, And good wines usually don't come in small sizes... They do come in Magnums!! :-)

Mercy: I am on day 10 today!! I think it is the first time I go for so long without alcohol. Not that I drink a lot but it is the glass of wine with dinner, the scotch with friends in the weekends, the brandy after dinner, the martini, the port, the margarita the etc etc etc etc etc....

So many empty calories!!! The worst is that I eat much more with alcohol on board. The satiety center doesn't work...  I grill and I eat the piece of meat that I cooked for lunch the next day, and then I finish that delicious bottle of cabernet! And then the dessert with a good port to finish the night... 10 days... Down 11 pounds ..Belly down from 48 inches to 41.... Don't tell the moderators!!!  :-)

Summeradele: Tried the coconut coffee creamer...  it is better... I don't know if this is the Coconut cream that you talked about. It is the only one that I found at Whole foods... Wasn't great though....

Xandra: You might be right, but I do not want to live my life without alcohol. I enjoy it too much and I don't feel that I am an alcoholic to have to take those extreme measures of 2 years... I think that the secret is to learn to stop at one or two drinks.... That is the key! I regret when I open a good bottle of red to leave some behind... I thought buying half bottles...  The 375cc bottles are as expensive at the 750 ones, And good wines usually don't come in small sizes... They do come in Magnums!! :-)

I would say hold off on making a true judgement call on alcohol.  It IS possible you might not enjoy it so much as you once did.  My personal context is that alcohol and I don't get along terribly well anymore.  That is fine.  If I truly want to enjoy a bevy - I will enjoy one - but that only happens maybe once or twice a year for me.  But I never was a regular drinker to begin with.

My SO really struggled with giving up alcohol for 30 days.  He would drink a glass of red wine every night with dinner, and a couple of times during the week he would enjoy some good cognac or scotch. To help him "unwind".  When doing his elimination he had noticed that after a period of 3 weeks he stopped wanting it anymore.  When he reintroed it he didn't enjoy it quite like he used to.  That was an eye opener for him.  So go into this with an open mind - and - when you do choose to re-intro alcohol - be aware of the consequences you get from it.   

Just to be clear, I do not live my life without alcohol. I was an alcoholic and I did take that two-year break (at least, I wasn't counting down the days) to break the bond.

This is an example of how I handle it now (cross posted from another thread):

I went to a dinner party the other night with some wine drinkers. Gave myself permission to have one glass of wine and had to make it last the whole evening. They served wine with cheese & crackers before dinner. I accepted the glass, took one sip and set it down. Said no thanks to cheese & crackers. Took one more sip of wine before dinner. Left my glass full all through dinner so they wouldn't refill it. Drank water instead. Then at the end of the meal, I finished my wine while everyone had dessert (brownies & sugar-free ice cream, they have diabetics in the family and this is what they eat :o ).

So that's how I got through a social event without running off the rails. It wasn't particularly difficult, it just took a liittle bit of planning. And I haven't had any more alcohol since and don't know or care when I will again. That's the difference between alcoholicme and recovered me: I had to break that pull that I felt from alcohol, and it took me two years to do it.

Congratulations Xandra!!! I am sure that you are doing what is best for you. I was a smoker and it took me three attempts to finally quit. First time 6 months, I thought I was done with it and could have one when I had a drink... Mistake! Back to it. Finally I quit.

I am on day 13 of whole 30 and I can't believe how well I feel... And sleep! No more brain fog!!! I think that Carlaccini is right! after 30 days, my desire for alcohol and my pleasure from it will be different. I hope that I follow the steps of your Significant! I definitely do not want to feel the way I felt in the past! I might have to stick with some form of permanent Whole 30!!!

I know that I will try a drink when I am done with the 30 days though! Will see how it goes... Some friends do permanent Palio with 2 glasses of wine a night...  They have kept the weight under control that way...

Archived