Monday 9/9/19 State Date- anyone else?

Laurenacc

Starting my 3rd Whole30 on Monday 9/9/19 after I get back from my vacay. I try to do a full whole30 every 6 months after I finish my last whole30 and it's about that time! Plus I got a bit chunky after completing a recent marathon 3 months ago (I always tend to gain weight after marathons due to running less miles...yet I still eat all the things...ay yi yi!) Time to clean up my diet and feel good again. Gimme a shout if you would like to join! :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also starting my Whole30 tomorrow 9/9/2019. It's my first time. I'm a little intimidated lol. 

Even though I'm starting tomorrow, today is my trial run and see what it's like. So far it's not that bad.

I've had one meal so far today (brunch). Sauteed mushrooms and broccoli scrambled egg (1). One banana and one tsp of almond butter. One peach. One cup of coffee with nutpod creamer.

As for dinner, I'm planning to do a pan seared tilapia with sauteed vegetables (red pepper, broccoli, shredded kale) and one medium sweet potato (steamed).

I'm Asian and I miss rice already lol....

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mirasaur said:

Sauteed mushrooms and broccoli scrambled egg (1). One banana and one tsp of almond butter. One peach. One cup of coffee with nutpod creamer.

You might want to check out the meal template (download it here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/). 

You want each of your meals to have 1-2 palm-sized servings of protein, the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand, or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4; 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat, generally in addition to the oil you cook in; and a bunch of vegetables (the template says fill the rest of your plate with them). You should also try to limit fruit to no more than two servings a day, where a serving is the size of your closed fist. So your meal has all your fruit for the whole day, and is low on protein, and is probably a bit low on fat. 

The meal template is a recommendation, not a rule, so you don't have to follow it, but you really will have better results when you do. 

While fruit is not a bad thing, and you can certainly have some, sometimes having a lot of it can keep you craving sweet things, and sometimes it's easier to cut way back on it or even cut it out entirely for a week or so, to get past those cravings. That is totally up to you, but if you get several days in and find you're still having really strong cravings for sweets, it's something you might want to consider.

Thank you for the feedback. Since I don't have a lot of food ingredients at home (that's why I'm officially starting tomorrow), I think I'm lacking protein as well. 

I know a lot of diets encourage fat intake, the problem with that for me is I have IBS ... lol fat makes it worse. 

I just had my dinner, I tried to put in more protein this time.

Kale, Brussels sprouts, yellow pepper(1) and zucchini (1) scrambled eggs (2) with coconut oil.  (It's like a veggie stir fry with eggs)

3 slices of organic deli turkey. (Oven roasted no added sugar)

Baked sweet potato (half).

Baked tilapia filet with olive oil, salt and black pepper.

Broccoli (maybe 6-8 florets?) and 1 tsp of almond butter.

Quitting sugar is my main reason of starting Whole30, I'll keep your advice in mind that I shouldn't use fruits to cope...

Thank you again. 

On 8/25/2019 at 1:26 PM, Laurenacc said:

Time to clean up my diet and feel good again.

I hear you sister!  I've tried to "cut back" on my sugar, dairy and processed food stuff.  Doesn't seem to be working for me right now so a complete 30 day elimination seems to be called for.  This mornings breakfast was leftover dinner that just happens to be already a compliant meal. A simple one-pot meal of ground beef and cabbage.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235997/unstuffed-cabbage-roll/?internalSource=search result&referringContentType=search results

19 hours ago, Mirasaur said:

I'm Asian and I miss rice already lol....

Have you tried the cauliflower rice?  Birds-Eye has a plain pre-made microwave steamer bag in the freezer section of most mainstream grocery stores.  Some days I just don't have the time, or the energy, to clean, cut, cook and prepare EVERY SINGLE THING from scratch. 

I intended to start today as I just got back from vacation and splurged! This is my first time doing the Whole 30 and didn't give myself enough time to prepare so I'm doing it NOW. Adding groceries to my list so I can start prepping tonight and officially start my day 1 tomorrow. I also purchased the 3 recipe books for the Whole 30 to give me a variety of options as I know how I can be when I don't know what to eat/cook. I also signed up to do a 6 week bootcamp challenge at the gym to coincide with my Whole 30 for even better results. So let's do this!!!!

How did everyone make it thru Day 1?  Yesterday my meals consisted of 

M1: Beef and Cabbage

M2: Shrimp Stir-Fry

M3: 2 hard-boiled eggs, a small Honeycrisp Apple, and almond butter.

Not the best meal I know, but I got home late yesterday.  I was hungry and tired and didn't feel like cooking a darn thing.  

I keep forgetting to add the extra fat with my meals.  I'll have to make sure that I put something down specifically on my meal plans.

Started my first round 9/9/19! Excited to do something nice for myself. I had a hysterectomy one year ago, and had a rough patch with treating myself to feel better, since I still wanted babies and had to have the surgery after a miscarriage. I started cooking things I love to indulge in, and figured it is time to get myself on track:) Glad to have support and to see what happens:)

Feeling crabby and a little yucky this morning. I'm sure it is withdrawals from sugar. I have been a sweet coffee drinker the last year and without at least my Stevia..coffee has lost her luster! Lol. Not a big deal, just thought I'd say so here, so I'd be accountable and adjust my thinking before continuing the day. Had a nice breakfast, mushroom, spinach omelet with ghee, a small apple cut up, and a little bacon. Made whole 30 bbq sauce last night, it was wonderful, going to use it as a little dressing for a salad with chicken on top. It was mostly balsamic vinegar to start with so a vinegertte today:) Hope everyone is doing well:)  

Day 4 - Woke up this morning feeling better. Decided to go to the gym for the first time in forever.  Here's hoping to a really good day.

I modified this recipe so it would be compliant.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/69744/orange-soy-pork-loin/.  I didn't look at my recipe close enough though, I used a pork shoulder instead of a loin roast.  Shredded it and served it over cauliflower rice. I needed to add some green veggies to last nights dinner.  Still working on getting the template right. 

Still not adding enough greens and the plated fat.  Next weeks meal plan will be better. Sauces and dressings are so easy...why haven't I made any of them yet????

It took the alarm to get me out of bed this morning.  I had some really random dreams last night.  None of it was about food though.  But at least I'm sleeping deep enough to have dreams. 

Last nights dinner was a small baked salmon filet with Roasted Bacon Brussels Sprouts.  I finally remembered to add a fat.  I mixed equal parts fresh lemon juice with Extra Light-Tasting Olive Oil and poured it over everything.

You have to scroll down to find this recipe but it's fairly easy to make.  I just put everything in a large bowl, pour enough oil to coat, add some sea salt and pour it all onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  Spread it out even and bake.  Sometimes I remember to stir it half way thru - it can burn the bottom in my oven. https://whole30.com/best-of-whole30-recipes-valentines-day/

Yay! I've been neglecting this post because I wasn't being notified of responses- very cool to come back and see so many people have joined with the same start date! How's everyone's Day 5 going? I cooked (in bulk) on Sunday so all my meals this week are the same breakfasts / lunches / dinners. I found myself constantly in the kitchen during my first whole30 and I decided for whole30 #2 I would try to cook 7 days worth of meals in just 1 day and eat the same thing for the week...I knew it might get boring but, at least I felt like I had more of a life, haha! So that's what I'm doing for my 3rd whole30 this time as well. My meals this week were / are:

Breakfast: hard boiled egg (sometimes 2 if I'm hungrier), 2 slices of turkey bacon or 3 sausage links (whole30 compliant brands from Applegate Farms), and a bowl of spinach, a few raspberries, sliced almonds and a tablespoon of Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette (also whole30 compliant brand) and a cup of coffee with my pumpkin spice nutpods creamer (another whole30 compliant brand)

Lunch: Autumn Hash from the Whole30 Cookbook- so yummy...but now that it's Friday and I had it for the past 5 days, I'm over it, haha! Consists of pork meatballs, spinach, sweet onion, apple, almonds, sweet potatoes, scallions, and some salt, pepper, cinnamon, and paprika seasoning. It's one of my favs so I'm sad that I'm bored with it right now...hopefully I can throw it back in the mix in a few weeks.

Dinner: Bacon Wrapped Chicken with Grilled Pineapple (recipe in Whole30 Cookbook) and garlic mashed potatoes (I'm being more chill with the veggies at dinner this week since I'm having spinach with breakfast and lunch and I am not the biggest fan of veggies...unless they are spinach or peppers, heh).

Whenever I needed a snack, I would have half an apple with 2 tablespoons of almond butter or I'd have a whole30 hot dog or I'd have a 2nd cup of coffee with nutpods.

Looking back, I think I may have had too much fruit considering there was a little fruit with each meal- however, most meals I'd say I had way less than a serving of fruit with each. But something I should be aware of with my next meals.

I need to branch out and add more recipes to the mix- I have about 7 that I love and keep in rotation. Any suggestions?

Side note: I absolutely hate cauliflower rice...but I also don't care for rice anyway- so I'm not looking for a replacement.

Thinking my meals next week will be wweet potato chili for lunch and chicken cutlets with bitter greens for dinner (both in whole30 cookbook). Oh and I always eat the same breakfast (see above) even when I'm not doing whole30- guess I never get bored with it?

Woohoo- so happy we are all in this together!

Archived