Nomz Energy Bites

toronto416

Is anyone else eating Nomz Energy Bites on Whole30? Admittedly, I have been ordering them from their website (nomz.com) and eating them because they are so delicious and the ingredients are very clean (just organic nuts, organic dates, organic cocoa, organic coconut oil, and sea salt). Ingredients are whole30 compliant.

Can I have these on Whole30? I really hope so!

First, let me say that I'd definitely mark these as off-limits for my own W30 rounds. The ingredients are compliant, but I know from my own past experience with Larabars that date-and-nut concoctions can actually be rather addictive, especially when you've cut out all the added sugars that find their way into the standard western diet. In a process where just plain fruit can even keep a Sugar Dragon awake for some of us, there's no need to throw in something overly sweet like these bites. Do yourself the favor of starving that dragon into slumber! You'll get so much more out of your Whole30 that way!

Ahem, that said... they're technically allowed (so your call if you do or don't) but highly discouraged.

To quote from the Official Can I Have? Guide: (bold/italics added by me for impact)

Cacao:
Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. However, we highly discourage mixing cacao with dates, figs, or other fruits to make chocolate-y confections during your program. These only feed your Sugar Dragon, which is the opposite of what you want to do on a Whole30.

Dates:
All fruit, including dates, are allowed on your Whole30. They’re a great way to add that hint of sweetness to a sauce (like the Char Siu pork from Well Fed), or to stuff with almonds and wrap in (compliant) bacon as a fancy-schmancy appetizer. But please, no processed date syrup. Tip: These little sugar bombs pack a big punch—they’re as close to candy as you can get on the Whole30. We recommend against using them as a “treat” to feed your Sugar Dragon.

Those sound delicious and from the ingredients you mentioned, they are technically Whole30 complaint. However, like Jihanna said, food like that can essentially become a treat when your brain wants sugar in the middle of a Whole30. My suggestion would be to avoid them and any other foods that could trigger a sugar dragon attack during a Whole30 - you can always try them again in your life after Whole30! :) 

Archived