Breakfast ideas

• 4 weeks later...

She's definitely that - though i have to give her school much credit. She's a Montessori kid and it really shows.

Shout out to Montessori! It does show! My son is Montessori and I was from pre-K through 8th grade. It just makes you look at the world differently.

Your 5 year old sounds like me - I apparently taught myself to read because my older sister was reading and I was NOT about to let her do something I couldn't.

I also got piano lessons earlier in age than she did (maybe a month after she started?) because she'd work hard on a song and when she was done, I'd go to the piano and play it perfectly by ear.

My bosses tell me I'm still crazily scarily smart and can multitask like no one else they've ever known, but now that I'm feeling the fog lifting...it's time to own some n00bs hahaha! Smart people for the win?

Seriously, though, I hope my kids are that motivated!

• 1 month later...

You have no idea. My two children could NOT be more different:

One is an intense, serious, sciencey (had to explain her immune system to her - and answer her many difficult questions - last night because she had a fever), motivated learner (she can read and write cursive. at 5. really?). She prefers her meat dry and dislikes fatty textures like avocado and egg. Won't touch a sweet potato with a 10 foot pole, but will eat me out of bacon in 30 seconds flat. I couldn't get her to eat cooked veggies until she was almost 4. She's fiercely independent and doesn't want anyone's help - if she needs a tool, she'll build it out of K'nex.

The other is flighty, highly unmotivated, lives to dance and has to wear a tutu EVERYWHERE. She wants the "slimy" meat, can eat a gigantic sweet potato on top of her full meal and 3 eggs to boot. Doesn't like bacon (I'm not even sure she's mine). Her favorite phrase is, "Can you help me?" followed quickly by "I caaaaaaaan't do it myself!" But she loves to snuggle, and that makes it worth it.

You have almost described my two boys to a T (minus the Tutu, of course!). My issue is they don't want eggs every day. We used to do oatmeal, too. What are some Kid Friendly Breakfast ideas without eggs? We will do eggs some days, but not 7 days a week....

You have almost described my two boys to a T (minus the Tutu, of course!). My issue is they

don't want eggs every day. We used to do

oatmeal, too. What are some Kid Friendly Breakfast ideas without eggs? We will do eggs some days, but not 7 days a week....

I eat browned ground grassfed beef (or lamb or buffalo) pretty much everyday along with canned or baked butternut squash heated up in the leftover fat from the meat with dried herbs and coarse Celtic sea salt (I'm on the IBS protocol). It's a very simple meal and my kids like to eat this. They like baked sweet potatoes with it too. Or just raw veggies. I don't tolerate eggs well so this has sort of been a comfort food replacement for scrambled eggs- it's creamy and warm and best of all- takes 5 minutes and fits the template in the most no-fuss kind of way.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I'm curious about more kid-friendly breakfast choices, too!

My older one (5) has serious texture issues. Hates even pepper in his food and pretty lives on an all simple carb diet. He is tall and skinny like his dad, but his skininess makes me worry extra bout him not eating. I keep wondering if he gets hungry enough will he eat what I give him? (Like, months into better eating?) He will just skip meals if he doesn't like what's offered and wait till he gets crap food at school for a party. (We can't swing $20k for Montessori in NYC so we are public school here--and they get an unbelievable amount of candy at school--even though his school has a "healthy eating" grant.)

I'm convinced that better eating will help his behavior issues. But he is so so so picky. No eggs. Maybe bacon but I just realized our beloved Applegate bacon is not W30 compliant so that is out. I got some pork sausage at the farmers' market and that was rejected outright. He will maybe eat two strips of raw red pepper or a couple stems of broccoli and that is IT for veggies. I'm not doing W30 for my kids till I get a handle on it myself. So I am still making them whole grass-fed yogurt that they eat with fruit but will this get easier or will he just waste away to nothing?

I keep thinking that eventually hunger will kick in and he will eat, but he can go days without eating anything substantial.

Thanks!

My kids don't like seasonings on their food or mixed ingredient dishes. They eat very plainly- plain baked sweet potato, salted only hamburger party, raw veggies, a fat like olives or nuts, a small serving of fruit. We let them make some choices but follow the template. The first month they just ate freely of anything compliant to ease the transition.

Yes I'm curious about more kid-friendly breakfast choices, too!

My older one (5) has serious texture issues. Hates even pepper in his food and pretty lives on an all simple carb diet. He is tall and skinny like his dad, but his skininess makes me worry extra bout him not eating. I keep wondering if he gets hungry enough will he eat what I give him? (Like, months into better eating?) He will just skip meals if he doesn't like what's offered and wait till he gets crap food at school for a party. (We can't swing $20k for Montessori in NYC so we are public school here--and they get an unbelievable amount of candy at school--even though his school has a "healthy eating" grant.)

I'm convinced that better eating will help his behavior issues. But he is so so so picky. No eggs. Maybe bacon but I just realized our beloved Applegate bacon is not W30 compliant so that is out. I got some pork sausage at the farmers' market and that was rejected outright. He will maybe eat two strips of raw red pepper or a couple stems of broccoli and that is IT for veggies. I'm not doing W30 for my kids till I get a handle on it myself. So I am still making them whole grass-fed yogurt that they eat with fruit but will this get easier or will he just waste away to nothing?

I keep thinking that eventually hunger will kick in and he will eat, but he can go days without eating anything substantial.

Thanks!

Holy yikes! Yeah, we wouldn't have that kind of money either. Sometimes living in the sticks has it's benefits, I guess.

If your kiddo has texture issues, I'd run with a texture he likes in any direction possible. My littlest loves "slimy" so she does chicken thighs and avocados and sweet potatoes and... If he likes crunchy, go with veggie chips, home made pork rinds, etc.

Hmm. THank you! I will definitely try the homemade pork rinds. He loves bacon. And meat. He likes raw veggies, but will never eat anything two days in a row. He also has behavior issues that, on one hand, would I'm sure benefit by a diet change but, on the other hand, means he will struggle hard against anything new or different or not exactly right.

(Sorry, Robin, if I got weird about the school thing. It's an issue for us right now. The ol' middle class squeeze in NYC. Must escape!)

He is smart and competitive, so I try to appeal with the "this will make you smarter, stronger and faster" angle.

I'm appreciating all tips for families. Moluv, I saw your tip in another thread about leaving out compliant food they can eat any time of the day. I like that.

Thanks everyone.

(Sorry, Robin, if I got weird about the school thing. It's an issue for us right now. The ol' middle class squeeze in NYC. Must escape!)

No worries! It happens everywhere. Our carline is full of Audi and Acura SUVs and here's me in my busted old Ford Escape... I totally get it :)

Archived