Bonito with tomato and potatoes

Amura

This is my version of a traditional Spanish recipe, which I published originally here (in Spanish, but there is a picture in case you want to see if it catches your eye).
I'm not sure if bonito or any other tuna fishes are easy to buy (fresh) in your countries, but at least here they are in season so it's a great choice with an unique summery flavour.

INGREDIENTS (for 2-3 people)

• 2 slices of fresh bonito (or another tuna)
  • 5 ripe tomatoes (o 400g canned crushed tomato)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 3-4 patatoes
  • olive oil, salt, pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

The fish must be cleaned out of both the central fishbone and the outer skin (it's very easy to do, no tiny fishbones) which gives you 4 pieces per slice.
Peel and chop your onion and tomatoes, peel and mince the garlic clove, peel and break your potatoes into dices (it means that each cut must be done only halfway and then break with a hand movement, that way potatoes will release starch into the sauce).

Pour a bit of oil in a large enough pot, and brown slightly the bonito pieces. Remove them as soon as the outside gets done, no matter about the inside.
In the same pot, cook your onion and garlic until the onion gets translucent. Add the potatoes and let them cook 10 minutes more.
Then add the tomatoes, salt & pepper to taste and stir well. Let cook for 20 minutes; I like covering it - if you don't you may need to add some water.
Finally return the bonito pieces to the pot, stir gently and leave for two minutes more.

This is one of the dishes that benefits from settling a bit, so you can make it ahead and simply reheat it later.

I hope you like it!
If something is unclear please ask me - I'm not 100% certain about cooking terms in English -_-

Archived